As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Souls Remastered

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    as a byproduct of always wanting to start new characters instead of finishing halfway done campaigns, i've become uncommonly decent at the first 3 hours of DS3

like if there were a speedrun for 100%, i think i would be well on the path to mastery

• Options
    i am fairly blown away that there's no bonfire in new londo ruins

also, i figured out why my character felt so weak and bad... I have 21 faith... and I have absolutely no idea of why i decided to do that

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I forgot how rough and unkind the opening of DS 3 was.

It's probably the most difficult part of the game, ironically enough

I love DS3 and I've played through the whole thing about three times but there are some design decisions I'd looooove to correct with a mod or two

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Ahahaha suck my DICK Gascoigne you dead FUCK

Forgot how this game makes you work for it but the win is sooooo sweet

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Ahahaha suck my DICK Gascoigne you dead FUCK

Forgot how this game makes you work for it but the win is sooooo sweet

Heck yeah, well done!

Gascoigne quickly went from my most hated boss in any videogame to one of my favorites of all time once I got into the flow of the fight. He's just so much fun to trade blows with and I felt like an absolute beast once I managed to take him down.

Bloodborne is such a good game. Every couple of months I tend to queue up Hbomberguy's Bloodborne love letter of a video and just nod my head in solemn agreement.

• Options
    I kicked his arse as a human but as a beast he's sooooo aggressive and pins you in a corner

So I basically decided to take him down to juuuuust the point where he beasts, then parry/visceral so the trigger is as low as possible, and then basically avoid him and chuck molotovs as he has massive fire weakness. Worked like a charm!

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really like Bloodborne, but wow am I ever terrible at it

@Naphtali and @Butters were kind and patient enough to basically take me on a guided tour of the game, I think it was last fall? And it was really, really great.

• Options
    Like DS it's just hard and unforgiving but also extremely rewarding

It's just a different style from DS

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Hey it was fun

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I went back and started over in Daughters of Ash a few days ago, and it feels like it's already going a lot better. There were some bug fixes and such, and I've stopped giving any fucks about throwing 75 fire bombs at the Titanite Demon to kill it. I still haven't been to New Londo to see what's down there, but I think I will once I can upgrade some weapons.

I've stopped looking at info about Sekiro since I learned that's it's From's attempt at making a spiritual successor to Tenchu, a series I've always wanted to be better than it is. Holy moly I'm so excited for that game.

• Options
    After Gascoigne I went back to the Cleric Beast and whipped him first time

PREY SLAUGHTERED

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I'm also doing a first time run of Dark Souls (previous experience was with Demons and Bloodborne).

I wish I could say the 8 years or whatever it's been since I played Demons Souls helped me be prepared at all but it turns out that was not the case.

That said I got through the two road blocks I heard the most about (Gargoyles and Capra) pretty easily and got the hang of parry and it's a lot easier now. I really wish I understood these mechanics playing Demons Souls but I get the feeling I'll be revisiting the Slayer of Demons the second the credits wrap on this one.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I couldn't quite figure out why the Titanite Demon at bottom of the Undead Parish stops taking damage after
    it releases its ghost 👻 and then the ghost returns to its body.

Is there some trick to this, @Reynolds?

• Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I started up a new game of DS3 last night. I've never played the DLC, or played the game on PC (beat the base game on PS4), so I wanted to finally do that.

And damn putting everything on max and seeing it run at a smooth 60 FPS sure is nice.

Like my DSR playthrough, I'm going no shields and light armor. After Bloodborne I think I just have to play these games like this now?

Those fucking knights in the high wall areas running up to Vordt sure hit harder when you're wearing almost no armor! I can only stay under 30% load with the Master Attire, and I forgot how they all have 4 hit combos and almost no recovery time, plus that annoying little shield shove thing. The game really wants me to block or parry them I guess, but screw that. Once I get the Grass Crest I might use it for parries, but I'm enjoying 2 handing the Sell Sword Twinblades quite a lot.

I've only played a couple of hours so far, so the only bosses I've beaten are Vordt and Gundyr, who were both easier fights than some of those knights.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I couldn't quite figure out why the Titanite Demon at bottom of the Undead Parish stops taking damage after

Is there some trick to this, Reynolds?
    You're basically supposed to get the main demon to half, then its Stand pops out and you get that you half. Then you swap back to the statue...the mod creator just didn't bother to make the original boss life bar reappear. Or give it a regular enemy life bar. So you just have to do the other half of its HP in damage without knowing how much it has left. Then the spooky statue reappears and you can finish it off, and its life bar should be there and go down as normal.

It's badly designed and I reported it, but nothing's been done so far. There's been no update for a few days, where he usually did one (or two) every day, so he might be saving up to release a bigger patch. Hopefully that and some other bugs and quality of life stuff get handled.

And you should just go straight to New Londo immediately. You'll see why when you get there.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    God damn Djura with his machine gun

Just piss off

• Options
    Reynolds wrote: »

Is there some trick to this, Reynolds?
    You're basically supposed to get the main demon to half, then its Stand pops out and you get that you half. Then you swap back to the statue...the mod creator just didn't bother to make the original boss life bar reappear. Or give it a regular enemy life bar. So you just have to do the other half of its HP in damage without knowing how much it has left. Then the spooky statue reappears and you can finish it off, and its life bar should be there and go down as normal.

It's badly designed and I reported it, but nothing's been done so far. There's been no update for a few days, where he usually did one (or two) every day, so he might be saving up to release a bigger patch. Hopefully that and some other bugs and quality of life stuff get handled.

And you should just go straight to New Londo immediately. You'll see why when you get there.

I decided to check out Darkroot since I thought there might be an item that I was missing and
    slammed my head against the butterfly and crystal golem for a few hours. Once I got past the immense frustration, I actually had a lot of fun in this fight! Saving Dusk and getting the grass crest shield was a pretty good reward for this, I think.

I couldn't figure out what else to do about the demon, so I kept wanging it with my axe, and it worked! 👹

I did find Andre, at least, before I had to go, but New Londo is next, I suppose!

• Options
    OK wow I just got the weirdest bugged out Rotted Curse Wood fight.

It just kept murdering me. In the first stage, I was taking a ton of damage because it was spawning his helpers non-stop. Like they were just dropping constantly. And after the drop, it just kept spamming swipes or grabbing me, even when I was sure I was out of range.

And I'm thinking, is this fuckin scrub tree that I beat in 1 almost by accident on my first playthrough actually way harder then I remember?

Then, I go back to fight again, and I'm still getting the workers crowding me, and then, the sacks stopped bursting. I almost killed him in phase 1 just hitting his unbreakable tree balls. So yeah, bug city.

So, I went back to the shrine, quit, restarted the game, and went back to the boss, and he was back to being a total joke.

For a while there I thought I was losing it.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I decided to start up a DS2 run, just to see, and it is different enough from DS3 that I just can't. I am also a bit put off that the swordsman's swords do not powerstance, so I am figuring out whether I am going to restart or what.

• Options
    I’ve bounced off of DS2 so many times. I don’t know what it is exactly, I just can’t get in to it. I love the other 4 games, but 2 just does nothing for me.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2019
    I enjoyed it when it came out, but it did not click nearly as much as 1 or 3. But everyone is telling me about Scholars, so I wanna try it. Still haven't decided if I will do the Giant stuff but that is after DS3.

Also, Anthem will probably interfere

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    DS2 is the worst Souls game by a not insignificant margin

But it does a few things the others don't do, which alllllllmost makes up for Adaptability

I've gone back to it more than once

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2 is much maligned but is actually the best game in the Dark Souls trilogy.

Adaptability was misguided but you can see where they were coming from and, really, is a "put some points into this" stat really that much worse than a "never put points into this no matter what" stat?

• Options
    its got a lot of little things wrong with it that aren't totally redeemed by arguably the best combat engine

If you think 3's combat is an abomination, and 1's is good, then 2 is just 1's combat taken to it's logical conclusion

but man are some of those levels extremely bad

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Jasconius wrote: »
    its got a lot of little things wrong with it that aren't totally redeemed by arguably the best combat engine

If you think 3's combat is an abomination, and 1's is good, then 2 is just 1's combat taken to it's logical conclusion

but man are some of those levels extremely bad

Dark Souls 1 had an area that was so bad that it was physically painful to look at.

Garthor on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Haven't had any areas I really disliked so far. Like, Amana's walking was too slow and that one part of Tselodora was a pain, but for the former I like the problem solving, and latter a lot of that was just spending a lot of time trying to figure out how to get into locked rooms and taking too many tries to realize I could deal with all the mages without needing to use arrows. I thought the use of the torch in that area was cool, and I think I went into that zone early anyway.
    ...I just realized, I never figured out how to get into that one shack at the top of Tselodora. I should get on that.

cB557 on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Dark Souls 2 is the most fun I had playing it at the time but it is just exaaaactly at the sweet spot in visuals and gameplay where it's hard to go back to the way I want to

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    2's probably my least favorite but I still love it

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    DS2 is the best. But Twilight Princess is also my favorite Zelda, so what do I know?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    DS2 even just looks...wrong. Like it's somehow too crisp and sharp while still having muddy colors everywhere. There's very few areas I thought looked good, or felt cool. Maybe the giant bull head thing? But even then the area around it sucked. Maybe the last few castles and keeps were okay. The dragon area was alright.

It's a game filled with interesting ideas very badly executed. I'm not even sure they were good ideas, but they were interesting.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »
    DS2 is the best. But Twilight Princess is also my favorite Zelda, so what do I know?

ah what we have here is a man with an eye for 3D graphics styles that age extremely poorly

• Options
    fwiw i like DS2 quite a bit. to me it's like a dark souls sandbox... here's every weapon you can think of with infinite VIABLE build options and a ton of content, go nuts

that's just very different from DS1's quality over quantity approach

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I'll admit, it's the ugliest dark souls, which is not an easy title to claim

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Decided to make a Skill/Tinge character for this BB run, incidentally

Which is stat intensive! My vit started really low but is now up to like, 15. And my End is like, 10. But my Skill is 20 because damage yeah

So now basically I'm going to buff end and vit. Because really I only need good Tinge once I have Evelyn, Chikage and Reiterpallasch with are ages away (I'm on old Yharnam)

• Options
    Also just so people know, if you pick up blood vials but you're at max they go in your storage in the Dream. You may find you have a loooooot of vials there

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Yeah honestly the visuals are a big part of the problem for me

Majula is gorgeous and there's a handful of other pretty areas but then there's sooooo many with gross muddy textures

• Options
    There wasn't any one thing I hated about DS2, I think it was just lots of small things

The hit sound, the hit tracking, the meh bosses, the general feeling that it seems to take forever to get anywhere or do anything. Everything felt like a chore to me.

I should give it another shot. I only every tried SotFS on PS4, and I hear the enemy placement in regular 2 is better, and I own that on PC now.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    ive heard people say they prefer SOTFS enemy placement

I've only played SOTFS, but I've seen DS2 vanilla speedruns and it seems like SOTFS room design is altogether more punishing, which tbh is what makes the game for me

if DS2 were "easy" then it would have that much less to redeem it