As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »
    Basing stuff finally showed up!

Astrogranite Debris... I'm thinking base, wash with nuln oil, drybrush dawnstone and add a couple of tiny red/orange highlights to suggest an ashen wasteland with a few still burning embers.

...that's how I see it going in my head anyway...

Embers are hard and look like shit.

Toxic ash waste it is... time to find my nurgles rot.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    I might have drybrushed this thing's wings a little too vigorously. Is there a way to bring it down a little bit? Maybe the blue citadel glaze?

qmkro4156bf8.jpg

Honestly, in the pic they look really good!

• TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Thanks! Maybe I'm too used to painting dark minis

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    I agree with everyone that it looks like a stylistic choice(I think it looks good) and not 'that dude went too heavy'

If it isnt the angle of view, the top left looks a little untouched in comparison to the dry brush on the right. the tips of the 2-3 wing tips on the end. You might want to hit them a little bit again to even it out?

steam_sig.png
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Those highlights will look completely different under another type of lightbulb or daylight too. You can always mute the highlights with a blue or purple wash too.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    I'm picking up the Bones Kickstarter 4, and they've got an option for some tutorial DVDs from either Jen Haley & Anne Foerster, Marike Reimer, Jesica Rich, or Hot Lead. I don't know who any of these people are, but considering how often I watch youtube videos of other people painting I think I'd get some use out of one of these sets. Anyone have any recommendations or watched some of these sorts of instructional DVDs before?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Do you get them free or as part of your pledge? Because if you have to pay extra, skip them. There's much better and more contemporary stuff out there for free.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Anyone have any experience with non GW spray bases?

I don't feel like spending $20 on a rattle can when I can get the same-ish color from a hardware store brand BUT I don't want to use a hardware store rattle can and then have a regular pot of GW acrylic not adhere to it properly.

Can't speak for any of the other miniature painting sprays like army painter etc, but if it's a spray acrylic from a hardware/DIY store (or even a lot from hobby stores that aren't designed for models) DON'T DO IT.
    Kind of get a gloss smooth finish that makes it harder to paint over, rather than the slightly rough matt finish you get from primer sprays. Admittedly I made this mistake before the base paint range existed so maybe they can cope - but if layer paints are more akin to the original citadel paints and you're not planning on painting everything you prime in some other colour and have that colour as a base paint, I wouldn't risk it.

Tastyfish on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    btw purple is the best color to paint your models.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Oh, very random question - Who hasn't gotten all of their Badger 54 airbrushes yet?

Purple
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience with non GW spray bases?

I don't feel like spending $20 on a rattle can when I can get the same-ish color from a hardware store brand BUT I don't want to use a hardware store rattle can and then have a regular pot of GW acrylic not adhere to it properly.

Can't speak for any of the other miniature painting sprays like army painter etc, but if it's a spray acrylic from a hardware/DIY store (or even a lot from hobby stores that aren't designed for models) DON'T DO IT.
    Kind of get a gloss smooth finish that makes it harder to paint over, rather than the slightly rough matt finish you get from primer sprays. Admittedly I made this mistake before the base paint range existed so maybe they can cope - but if layer paints are more akin to the original citadel paints and you're not planning on painting everything you prime in some other colour and have that colour as a base paint, I wouldn't risk it.

Ok, this is what I wanted to know.

I guess I'll stick with proper primer sprays or army/gw sprays.

Thx!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Oh, very random question - Who hasn't gotten all of their Badger 54 airbrushes yet?

I got mine last month.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I really never saw the point of airbrushing minis
    I knew at the time I learned how to do it is when detailing vans was out and airbrushing models and trains was back in
    It's just not for me

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I really never saw the point of airbrushing minis
    I knew at the time I learned how to do it is when detailing vans was out and airbrushing models and trains was back in
    It's just not for me

I bought a cheap one just to primer and lay down base coats. So many models to paint...so much Space Wolves grey.

akirasig.jpg
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Which gloss and matte varnish do you guys use for airbrushing and how do you thin it? I think someone recomended Schmincke?

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Vallejo makes a polyeurethane varnish. That's what I use.

You can totally use Liquitex varnishes too but you need to be sure to thin them a lot.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    edited May 2018
    Purple
    Ironically, I think the best I've had going through an airbrush is Reaper's brush-on-sealer. Sadly, it has either been renamed, or they don't make it anymore, because I didn't see it last week when I made an order.
    I've had fine luck with Vallejo too, but only used their satin coat, and I'm kind of past the particular look it gives. I'll probably grab some of their other stuff when I run out of my current stock.

ArcticLancer on
    Put paint on 3 of 6 objective markers. Still not sure how I want to do the numbers on them though.
    SxsuqjZ.jpg

Purple
    Badablack wrote: »
    Put paint on 3 of 6 objective markers. Still not sure how I want to do the numbers on them though.

One to Six bloody handprints on the bases

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    How do they need to be numbered? I'd be tempted to keep it simple with vertical strokes forming roman numerals or something, but I'm not sure that's how you mean. Khraul's suggestion is nice as a thematic touch, and I'm sure there's a good in-between there~

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Put paint on 3 of 6 objective markers.

Are those "marbled" bases? How is this achieved?

Purple
    Put paint on 3 of 6 objective markers.

Are those "marbled" bases? How is this achieved?

Bada is loaded... only bases with genuine marble.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    How do they need to be numbered? I'd be tempted to keep it simple with vertical strokes forming roman numerals or something, but I'm not sure that's how you mean. Khraul's suggestion is nice as a thematic touch, and I'm sure there's a good in-between there~

I feel like you're correct and that between "nothing" and "bloody hand prints" there's probably an in-between :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    My hands are too stupid to do bloody handprints so I settled for bloody lines.

The marble effect was a black undercoat, then a dark white applied over it in a thick coat. Where I wanted the darker striations I took the brush, dipped it in water, and carefully thinned the paint to let the black show through underneath.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Bloody handprints, each holding up a different number of fingers...

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Purple
    Bloody handprints, each holding up a different number of fingers...

That sounds awesome, just to have a six fingered bloody palm on one of the statues

Purge the mutant!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Vallejo makes a polyeurethane varnish. That's what I use.

You can totally use Liquitex varnishes too but you need to be sure to thin them a lot.

I have a bottle of that. It's pretty much the consistency of shampoo.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Finally making progress on my Goliaths. Good enough to be done besides bases for now.
    CviXXtP.jpg
    r17YT9E.jpg

I need to use a better camera than my random cell phone one.

akirasig.jpg
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Good to know Joe got a job after The Inbetweebers finished.

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Papa Nurgle loves you. Obviously the bloat drone is a Wil.
    vrf0da23suv5.jpg
    gownlnlhr7wj.jpg
    9eaptfpvop2e.jpg
    50a5v76yy6d8.jpg

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Purple
    I'm trying to decide how to approach my Deathwatch, when I start them, and I'm thinking about bases.

I was thinking about the Sector Imperialis bases, but i can't seem to paint rock or stone to look right.

So then I was thinking about Astrogranite, but that might look too drab with the black DW armor.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Light grey basecoat, bone drybrush, thinned green wash. Bam, instant stone.

Purple
    I will try that.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    I specifically mean the Athenian Camoshade GW green wash, because it’s the exact dirty green-brown tint that shades greys to the color of old slightly mossy boulders.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I wonder about those theme bases the heroic ones

edited May 2018
    Purple
    I specifically mean the Athenian Camoshade GW green wash, because it’s the exact dirty green-brown tint that shades greys to the color of old slightly mossy boulders.

I will definitely get that then when I pick up my codex Friday.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Questions for yall:
    What's the best example of black(ish) marine armour you've seen?

I pickup up a Know No Fear box to noodle around with some Primaris Deathwatch, but because I'm a special snowflake, I can't just paint them in normal Deathwatch colours. I'm not a fan of the silver arm or multicoloured skittle shoulderpads, but I do like the idea of "men in black" marines, come to discreetly sweep aliens under the rug.
    The Primaris line is already very aesetic looking, without much bling, so I think I might lean into that. (Metalic?) black armour, with one shoulder with a clean white chapter symbol (or better, founding legion number), and the other a white =I=
    But plain black and white are boring, so I need some ideas for other colours to throw into the mix (weapon casings, equipment cloth, lenses, basing), and maybe something spicy about the "black" that isnt the usual dark grey with blue highlights.

In my casual searches, I've liked these metalic purple reivers a lot...
    192994c0c5259837f59fce2653058f21.jpg

website_header.jpg
    I’m gonna furiously toot my own horn and say if I ever did Deathwatch marines, I’d paint them up similar to this Dreadnought’s left knee.
    nlIiuZq.jpg
    Dark steel for the black armor and bright silver for the white insignias. With bone for weapon casings and dark red for purity seals/ornamentation just to break up all the drab metals.

Actually, I really want to do this with primaris marines now. Is there any sort of primaris start collecting box or is it ebay for discounted starter guys?

Purple
    McGibs wrote: »
    Questions for yall:
    What's the best example of black(ish) marine armour you've seen?

I pickup up a Know No Fear box to noodle around with some Primaris Deathwatch, but because I'm a special snowflake, I can't just paint them in normal Deathwatch colours. I'm not a fan of the silver arm or multicoloured skittle shoulderpads, but I do like the idea of "men in black" marines, come to discreetly sweep aliens under the rug.
    The Primaris line is already very aesetic looking, without much bling, so I think I might lean into that. (Metalic?) black armour, with one shoulder with a clean white chapter symbol (or better, founding legion number), and the other a white =I=
    But plain black and white are boring, so I need some ideas for other colours to throw into the mix (weapon casings, equipment cloth, lenses, basing), and maybe something spicy about the "black" that isnt the usual dark grey with blue highlights.

In my casual searches, I've liked these metalic purple reivers a lot...
    192994c0c5259837f59fce2653058f21.jpg

Could you base coat silver and then airbrush nuln oil for a black metallic?

Highlight with bone?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I have a nice vellajo black-steel airbrush paint that I really like, and might try that out. It'd go good with a coloured wash or glaze. I used it on this old dread (crappy pictures)
    chaos-contemptor02.jpg

On the other hand, I flipping LOVE these inquistorial marines done with different shades of grey.
    0521218c9f23e168c7b6a57a36b9e370.jpg

website_header.jpg
This discussion has been closed.