As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I am currently using a bath/kitchen tile as a dry palette. My Reaper paints are very thick, such that they're not coming off the tile under warm water and gentle scrubbing like my Citadel colors are. What can I use to get this stuff off?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    There’s plenty of products for removing paint from delicate models, but when in doubt an application of nail polish remover (acetone) will tear the paint apart in short order and shouldn’t harm the tile itself.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    Let it build up until you have a beautiful paint mountain

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    I've been working on a Kill Team Board.
    3aNZAUp.jpg?1
    2QnoTap.jpg?1

Still lots to do on it, but the basic structure is all there. Even "beta tested" it over the weekend to make sure before I started gluing the terrain down.
    e2I9yiL.jpg?1
    pAwtIuc.jpg?1

Now I'm starting to put the details in.
    sca8Nwk.jpg?1

Since the terrain on the board will be all fixed, I built it in a way where it can be reversible. The street can go in the middle or on a far side.
    JDAMRZ2.jpg?1
    BHxgG4d.jpg?1

• Options
    edited October 2018
    That looks very rad. Kill team is great for making custom boards. You can go hog on terrain and there’s a vast amount of 28mm stuff available.

I hope there’s eventually going to be a statue on that pedestal to the right.

Badablack on
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    I hope there’s eventually going to be a statue on that pedestal to the right.

Oh yeah, for sure. That pink block was just a placeholder for our game.

Need to find an appropriate model before making a plinth for it.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    scale looks about right for the statue from the Honored Imperium if you aren't planning on simply popping a mini on a plinth.

one of the statues from the Basilicanum would work pretty nice too.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I've got a weird question. But does anyone have any tips to paint space marine armor to look like fantasy armor? I'm kitbashing/scratchbuilding a zombie dragon and rider, and the only rider legs that will work are the space marine biker legs.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    3aNZAUp.jpg?1
    2QnoTap.jpg?1

Still lots to do on it, but the basic structure is all there. Even "beta tested" it over the weekend to make sure before I started gluing the terrain down.
    e2I9yiL.jpg?1
    pAwtIuc.jpg?1

sca8Nwk.jpg?1

Since the terrain on the board will be all fixed, I built it in a way where it can be reversible. The street can go in the middle or on a far side.
    JDAMRZ2.jpg?1
    BHxgG4d.jpg?1

Is it just me, or does the street half of the board look just like the start of one of the maps from XCom (reboot)? Like, I'm looking at it, and half expect to be jumped by Snakemen and Mutons for lingering too long.

Good start, btw! That gives me the urge to throw some pics up of the terrain I'm working on for my next convention game. Y'know, to spruce up the thread. Or something.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Having half way completed painting my Tyranid swarm I've started seeing "alien xenomorph" paintjobs online and I've had much first moment of painters remorse, cuz man they look cool.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Purple
    My Hero Forge minis came in. These things are freaking great. I kind of can't believe I spent $100 on three minis, but still. My D&D campaign group is excited.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Alright I need advice. I'm working on the color pallet for my fire giant king.

I'm going with light charcoal grey skin with glowing "fire" veins, eyes, mouth and fingernails. His cape and kilt out made out of copper dragon hide (using copper metalic paint). The main color of his armor will be steel, using regular non metalic paints and highlights. I'm not sure what to do about the accessories though like the squares that hang from his belt, or the chains around his gauntlets. His sword will be steel, with a copper insert and the blade will be fiery.

Maybe I should do the accents copper as well? It seems like too much copper. I know green/teal/blue goes well with copper. I'm just not sure. I've attached an example picture of a similar paint job that I really like.

8ggumya1pbiz.jpg

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »
    Having half way completed painting my Tyranid swarm I've started seeing "alien xenomorph" paintjobs online and I've had much first moment of painters remorse, cuz man they look cool.

Don’t worry, that’s one of those ideas that sounds good, but is terrible on the tabletop because you can’t tell anything apart and constantly lose models.

• Options
    Purple

Yessssss terrain
    What scale are those vehicles, and how do they look next to Marines and guardsman type sized figures?

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Purple
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »

Don’t worry, that’s one of those ideas that sounds good, but is terrible on the tabletop because you can’t tell anything apart and constantly lose models.

I could see that being the case, yeah

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    There’s a reason you never see xenomorphs in the movies except in specifically lit scenes. It’s gloss black on grey (sometimes brown), it doesn’t look great in normal light.

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    A different, worse colour
    Nips wrote: »
    3aNZAUp.jpg?1
    2QnoTap.jpg?1

e2I9yiL.jpg?1
    pAwtIuc.jpg?1

sca8Nwk.jpg?1

JDAMRZ2.jpg?1
    BHxgG4d.jpg?1

Is it just me, or does the street half of the board look just like the start of one of the maps from XCom (reboot)? Like, I'm looking at it, and half expect to be jumped by Snakemen and Mutons for lingering too long.

Good start, btw! That gives me the urge to throw some pics up of the terrain I'm working on for my next convention game. Y'know, to spruce up the thread. Or something.

What it reminded me of was Doc Brown's model of Hill Valley's town square that he used to show Marty how they could use the lightning storm to power the DeLorean.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Doc Brown was canonically a scale model painter. He probably didn’t play warhammer though. Maybe napoleanics.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Doc Brown was canonically a scale model painter. He probably didn’t play warhammer though. Maybe napoleanics.

Head canon now says the only reason he built the time machine was to get the Ork codex first.

• Options
    edited October 2018

This is awesome! It wasn't intentional but I'm a huge Xcom fan so maybe it worked its way in there somehow.

Dayspring wrote: »
    What scale are those vehicles, and how do they look next to Marines and guardsman type sized figures?

They are from the Mantic Walking Dead game and are perfect scale for this. A bit weird to have 'modern' cars on a 40k board but still...

e5ySDSY.jpg?2

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I did do some work on the street today. A bit early, needs to be sanded and maybe a second coat, but looks good so far.

dpCdJc9.jpg?2

I also harvested my first attempt at making some random rubble mix. Also looking promising!

0cH5Sci.jpg?2

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular

This is awesome! It wasn't intentional but I'm a huge Xcom fan so maybe it worked its way in there somehow.

Dayspring wrote: »

They are from the Mantic Walking Dead game and are perfect scale for this. A bit weird to have 'modern' cars on a 40k board but still...

e5ySDSY.jpg?2

I wonder if you could add some junk onto them to make them all futuristic and spacey? I feel like making the curves less smooth, and just having "high-tech" doodads hanging off of them would be fitting for Warhammer 40K, the setting that embraces "more is more".

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Can’t forget the skulls.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Purple
    that pickup truck definitely needs a gun mounted on the back

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Airbrush painting Tau drones sucks. I don't want to paint them on the clear base and stick but I've got nothing else.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Started Painting my Fire Giant. Yup going to get an airbrush before I do anything this big again.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Airbrush painting Tau drones sucks. I don't want to paint them on the clear base and stick but I've got nothing else.

Wrap masking tape around the stem. Or poster tack. Also, did they stop including spare stems (to use as temporary painting handles) with the kits? I always used to end up with loads left over…

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Purple
    Stragint wrote: »

If you've got a hobby or DIY store nearby, you could look for dowels of the appropriate/approximate diameter to mount them on for painting. Grab a chunk of crafter's gardening foam, and you can plunk the dowels into that for a base while waiting for things to dry.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I feel pretty dumb for not thinking of taping them. I was prepared to just buy more bases and stems. The drones were literally the only part slowing me down.

Thank you, I'm hoping I should have the prime and base done over the next two or three nights. The gloss primer is kind of annoying and the color shift paints are cool. I also am not really seeing a reason to use airflow improver but I have been.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    ltnwbberotu3.jpg

Can't get the red to look decent on a photo.

• Options
    Finally finished all the terrain for my Kill Team board. Think I’m gonna pick up some sector mechanicus stuff and do a gantry with it next.
    4fJHLM5.jpg
    gazhcGy.jpg

• Options
    Purple
    That is some good cesspit, right there.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    Purple
    I hope those barrels in the middle are full of blood.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Purple
    I finished another batch! Yay, batch processing! Here's an armor company for my Battletech collection. I used these as an excuse to practice with my airbrush, while getting them done (relatively) quickly, while also seeing what kind of camo pattern I could do with said airbrush. I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out.

Von Luckner Heavy Tanks
    AJAAwI1h.png
    GPJWjEgh.png

Manticore Heavy Tanks
    zR9ytseh.png
    6amnyvZh.png

Bulldog Heavy Tanks (though honestly, calling them "Heavy" is at best a technicality. They're like 2/3rds as big as the other ones above.)
    nKb7ZUbh.png
    xHitSGwh.png

LRM Carriers. These were actually brush-painted; I painted the ones on the left approximately forever ago. I tried to color and pattern match the new ones on the right. Clearly I failed! But that's okay, because they look fine.
    dbBecv1h.png
    uiADhd2h.png

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I finished another batch! Yay, batch processing! Here's an armor company for my Battletech collection. I used these as an excuse to practice with my airbrush, while getting them done (relatively) quickly, while also seeing what kind of camo pattern I could do with said airbrush. I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out.

Von Luckner Heavy Tanks
    AJAAwI1h.png
    GPJWjEgh.png

@Nips were you intending to paint the Von Luckner's as Bannson's Raiders from Mechwarrior: Dark Age? Because that camel & cyan color scheme reminds me of theirs:
    w7827pxddx1a.jpg
    Edit: pic not mine, just a quick google search result I grabbed for an example.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Purple
    Oh god, Dark Age, don't break my heart.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple
    ... About CMON support and Dark Age...

I, uh, it doesn't look good.

• Options
    Purple
    I like the Dark Age stuff, but sadly no, the Raiders hadn't crossed my mind when I painted the tanks.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    I bought some stuff (like, two starters, maybe a couple extras?) for DA when it started, couldn't find people interested in playing it, and just kind of left the boxes collecting dust in the back of the closet. The blind boxes that weren't even separated by faction always seemed kind of egregious to me, but by and large I thought it was a mixed bag with some cool ideas.
    I like the Dark Age stuff, but sadly no, the Raiders hadn't crossed my mind when I painted the tanks.

Ah,I was just curious.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    ... About CMON support and Dark Age...

I, uh, it doesn't look good.

I ordered a single dwarf mini off of their web store last year, and it took almost half a year for them to actually get it to me. Never Again.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
This discussion has been closed.