As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    D7K85TB.jpg

Started pin washing these bad boys. Been meaning to do it for months, they have been read for pin washing for like 2 or 3 months. I like it so far but I feel like I might need to do it twice on these models do get a good dark color going. Using the Tamiya panel line accent color black which is an enamel paint, I feel like I should be wearing a face mask while painting with it.

I think I asked before but as far as highlights I wasn't sure what to use. I think someone said gold and silver on certain models. Any advice?

Also, any advice for this one? I was gonna do the armor trim in gold on this and paint some of the small details and then varnish it and pin wash but I feel like going gold would be too much like an Ultramarine and it is a grey knight.
    bk2EAho.jpg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Pin washing is cool but so damn time consuming. I also forgot I was going to paint the cloth parts on those T'au black so I need to get on that.

So much shit to paint. I made a list.

1. Finish 8 Space Marines heroes models I'm painting up as Space Wolves. Very close to finished.
    2. Finish painting Space Wolves model that is in sub assembly. Only has the base paint and a shade.
    3. Finish pin washing T'au, paint cloth parts, highlight gold/silver.
    4. Figure out what to do with these Grey Knights, probably use silver on the trim, gloss varnish, pin wash and paint details?
    5. Finish cleaning off Necrons.
    6. Try and paint Necrons I plan on using for 50 PL tournament on June 1st.

So much to do and such little desire to actually paint.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Finally finished my Obelisk-counts-as-Monolith. Certainly the biggest thing I've ever painted and it's kind of dissatisfying how it looks compared to the amount of work I had to put in... oh well, it's not my main army, so it's ok.

Xs6B7Au.jpg

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's okay, psshh, so mediocre.

• Options
    Oh I'm not saying it's bad, it's just... so much time had to be spent on regular boring edge highlighting of basically 8 copies of the same segment.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Purple
    This isn’t the Warhammer thread...

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    @italianranma wrong thread, I think? :P

• Options
    Purple
    My bad

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Finally finished my Obelisk-counts-as-Monolith. Certainly the biggest thing I've ever painted and it's kind of dissatisfying how it looks compared to the amount of work I had to put in... oh well, it's not my main army, so it's ok.

Xs6B7Au.jpg

I still need to magnetize the last panel of my obelisk/vault though I'm kind of worried about the integrity of it. If it falls apart often I'm just gonna glue it and a vault.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Is that a LEGO gem on top?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

Xs6B7Au.jpg

I still need to magnetize the last panel of my obelisk/vault though I'm kind of worried about the integrity of it. If it falls apart often I'm just gonna glue it and a vault.

Are you magnetizing it so it can work as a Tesseract Vault and a Obelisk

• Options
    Calica wrote: »

Not really, just a resin decorative "crystal" - https://7.allegroimg.com/s720/01cc09/5cfa9f464761a7a4256306d71847

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

Xs6B7Au.jpg

Originally it was only so I could deconstruct it a bit for transport because it seems like a nightmare to carry around but now it can be made into either.

• Options
    Purple
    Calica wrote: »

LEGO? Who has that kind of money?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options

Xs6B7Au.jpg

Originally it was only so I could deconstruct it a bit for transport because it seems like a nightmare to carry around but now it can be made into either.

That was my other question but then being at work right now is very unfun

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’m working on a tesseract vault myself and I think for my own sanity I’m going to run it with just a single section open with the c’tan peeking out. That way it can be either, but it’s just way too big and unwieldy with everything opened up otherwise.

It’s a very cool kit though, almost nothing needs to actually be magnetized, it all clips together pretty nicely.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Purple
    Painting the new chaos marines in my old paint scheme plus a red shoulder to show they are "Red Corsairs" when I go to tourneys for my Red 17.

NhPUQNyl.jpg

Just because they are larger they are actually easier to paint than old CSM.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Is a plasma gun on a Space Wolves model something that would look good with a heat scorched effect on it? Not sure if I want to do it or not.

• Options
    Is a plasma gun on a Space Wolves model something that would look good with a heat scorched effect on it? Not sure if I want to do it or not.

The whole model? Or the gun?

• Options

The whole model? Or the gun?

Just the gun.

Did some rocket trail painting.

KzYusVr.jpg
    IhnRiAY.jpg

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple

Plasma guns already have enough going on with the coils. Meltas are a much better place to play with heat effects.

Plus heat distortion on plasma just doesn't feel right; plasma seems more glowy, if anything - which is a dumb reason for not doing something in a world of dieselpunk superman space monks fighting giant green sapient fungus, but I stand by it.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    edited May 2019

Plasma guns already have enough going on with the coils. Meltas are a much better place to play with heat effects.

Plus heat distortion on plasma just doesn't feel right; plasma seems more glowy, if anything - which is a dumb reason for not doing something in a world of dieselpunk superman space monks fighting giant green sapient fungus, but I stand by it.

I feel the same way which is why I wasn't sure if I should do it or not. The glow should be enough and the scorch might end up cluttering things but I've never seen it done so I wasn't sure if it was a thing. I am just gonna keep the glow going for it.

I did do the scorch for the armpit melta for my knight. Completely forgot about doing it before.
    cWw98r3.jpg

Almost finished with my Grey Hunters from the Space Marine heroes stuff. Just need to paint the pouches brown, the sergeant's crotch armor thing red brown, wash the gold, paint the plasma, then gloss varnish so I can to a quick pin wash on the shoulders and some other spots and then a matte varnish to bring the gloss down.

Gonna do some touch ups before the varnishes start but yea, not too much more. I wish it didn't take me like 3 weeks to finish these but I paint so slowly.
    p8hZuch.jpg

Stragint on

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    If it helps I’m fairly certain that plasma wouldn’t scorch the barrel. If it’s scorching the barrell then the containment isn’t working properly and that generally means you are too busy exploding.

• Options
    Tried to do a glow on the plasma gun. It did not go well. Gonna leave it though, whatever. Took the picture with a flash.

OK2jXew.jpg

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    @Stragint have you considered other colours for the plasma?
    I find the blue gets a little lost on Smurfs and Space Wolves

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Viking wrote: »
    @Stragint have you considered other colours for the plasma?
    I find the blue gets a little lost on Smurfs and Space Wolves

Yea, I always want to do orange or purple for it or sometimes green but I don't know what colors to use for that.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Try orange purple or green paints. :P

• Options
    edited May 2019
    J wrote: »
    Try orange purple or green paints. :P

Yea, but I don't know which. I'm not very good at painting or color theory type stuff so I don't know which orange paints to use to build up the right kind of glow. I pretty much always follow a YouTube video so if there isn't one with the colors I want I'm kind of screwed.

Also, the more I look at the plasma gun the more I hate it. I kind of wish I hadn't made the decision to never strip paint off models again unless it is like an Ebay lot or something.

My shame will be eternal.

That picture also has a lot of The Fang color poking through in those crevices and while it doesn't really bother me because on a table it wont be noticeable I think in the future I'm gonna airbrush all my base coats if they cover the whole model so I can get some nicer coverage. I'm finally able to get GW paints through my airbrush very consistently and very smoothly.

Stragint on

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Purple
    Fixing when I get home. I hate imgur on a phone.

Finished the first five man squad of the new csm.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I'm gonna use the Space Wolves decals for the company mark on the shoulder. Should I do that before or after varnishing?

I'm gonna be doing a gloss varnish so I can pin wash some areas and then I'm gonna do a matte varnish. Both are gonna be vallejo varnishes.

Stragint on

• Options
    Before! unless you can to change great companies for some reason

• Options
    Purple
    So here was the picture I was failing with earlier.

KTbGr9Gl.jpg

I am working on my Master of Possession.

F0Qt5zsl.jpg

It is pretty great looking. Damn thing has a billion details.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    To get through some of my backlog, I painted one of Steelheart's Champions. I'm pretty happy with it, but can't help feeling that maybe the face plate needs to be a different colour. Also I missed a decoration on the leather straps.
    2r1xmx4mffy7.jpg
    bm86hhaf753g.jpg

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Almost done with the squad of Space Wolves. Just need to paint the bases, gloss varnish, pin wash, and matte varnish and they are done.

Not sure what I want to do on the bases though.

Besides the bases and pin wash they are done but they don't feel done. Something about them all just feels off.

aJ5W9lo.jpg

Stragint on

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I think for my Necrons I'm going to prime them gloss black, Vallejo metallic aluminum and then the appropriate tamiya color for the dynasty over the whole model and then abaddon black to leadbelcher on the joints and and then nuln oil the whole model.

I think that might be the fastest/easiest way to paint them up the way I want.

Not sure if I should do the Warriors and Immortals both like that though. I want to do a test model for each but if I don't like it I don't want to have to clean them off.

It might be overpowering to have all the armor plates and chest to be all the same color.

Stragint on

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    After work today I'll be spray priming my 22 Warrior Nation figures for Wild West Exodus, then setting about base coating and painting them. First real time doing flesh tones, feathers, fur, all sorts of uncharted territory. Ought to be interesting.

• Options
    I'm starting to question doing the candy metallic for my Necrons. Not sure if I want that anymore.

• Options
    I feel I am going to get an airbrush for mine since it's a sea of metallics

• Options
    I don't know how much silver metallic is going to show on mine.

The idea was to do a chunk of models in tamiya blue, green, orange, and red for a candy metallic color but I'm not sure I want to do it that way anymore. I'd kind of just want to do it in matte colors now.

The idea though is all the armor plates have the candy metallic going. Upper arm, lower arm, thigh, calf, shoulders, chest hands, etc and the joints would be leadbelcher and then I wanted to hit the whole model with some nuln oil. The gun would be black like normal with the weapon details matching the color of the armor so red Gauss flayed tube, green, blue, orange.

It is gonna be real rough to do and I want to do it on all the models.

The small details would be such a nightmare to paint though, all the joints and stuff.

• Options
    I am going for the aged sliver for them the generic Sautekh Dynasty look
    I have vw1gtb1u1ngi.png
    5pt0d1ilzbex.png
    The glue in the Monolith decayed so it sits waiting to reassembled

I have something like a legion of warriors I think 70 to 100? I have no idea as you get I think 60? in the Phalanx alone {that box and the tyranid were some of the prizes I "won" looking back it was a way to get more money and divest himself of the stuff that was not moving [this was just after the housing crisis}
    I have a bunch of destroyers and couple of immortals. I just need to fill in the gaps with the walker and a few arcs I did get some lychguard when people were part selling forgebane

Just I need something to kick me into painting again. Recent events really just have me staring at my paint. I primed a bunch of primaris and generic marines to try that dry brush on but alas work got to me.

This discussion has been closed.