As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What is that Space Wolves model made from? A techmarine?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    What is that Space Wolves model made from? A techmarine?

Yes as Mayday pointed out with two power fists/claws and a backpack

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Sven is pretty much stuff from the space wolf spure
    asdiqb5glgln.png
    and someone giving a look at the book und Deutsche
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqQ-vBSb950

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    What I want to know is how Sven got away with nicking Logan’s axe?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What I want to know is how Sven got away with nicking Logan’s axe?

I think it's the thunderwolf cav's axe as my brother nicked it for his wolf guard

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Purple
    Huh. Apparently it really bothers me that the axe hangs below the base's ground plane. They should have done a little work on the base to put him on a rock or something.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    He should be on a 40mm base with some scenery. As is the base looks much too crowded.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    see317 wrote: »
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I'm painting them up like old timey diving suits, right now they look like this (picture is a bit bright but the clothing color is right) but I do want that bit to stick out. I'm thinking maybe making it like an ocean blue? But I'm also probably making their Tyranid carapace armor a shade of dark blue

2ZzmPhM.png

Maybe seafoam green?

Hmm, I'll give it a test and see how I like it. I'll probably need to mix up my own shade.

I think green could work really well, but I think Seafoam may be a bit bright.
    Could you make them look like oxidized copper (think Statue of Liberty green), maybe with a bit of the clean copper showing through? Could help with the diving suit look.

Alternatively, make them look like they're carved out of jade with a darker green basecoat and some sharp highlights. I think that could pop against the armor.

I thought they were asking for a color suggestion for the decorative cloth bits like the loincloths some of the cultists wear? I was trying to think of a color that'd go well with the beige parts of their suits while also being suggestive of the ocean. If it's too bright, they could always use a darker shade of the same hue.

Could be, I was thinking we were just talking about the GSC keychains that all the cultists seem to sport.

Which, really, GW, great merch idea right there. Where do I get one?

• Options
    Huh. Apparently it really bothers me that the axe hangs below the base's ground plane. They should have done a little work on the base to put him on a rock or something.

I am fine with items held by or part of the model that break the plane of the base
    I try not to do that that often but still it happens if you put together models and then put them on the base

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I was thinking about my paint scheme for my Necrons. I'm gonna do my Warriors in the previous paint job I posted but I think I'll change my Immortals a bit.

Warriors
    9k3XhJc.jpg

This is an image I found on Google. All the teal is where I'll paint the color on my Immortals.
    htLx7ml.jpg

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Brainleech wrote: »

I am fine with items held by or part of the model that break the plane of the base
    I try not to do that that often but still it happens if you put together models and then put them on the base
    It's good that you can admit to being a super-villain~

• Options

It's good that you can admit to being a super-villain~

Well in time I had misplaced the bases for the various armies. I have no idea where they are {I have an idea but I don't know} So I went forward with building the stuff
    There were models I built back then I did not put on a base but I am shocked they came through without breaking

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    That's the Lord Executioner model. I picked one up a little while back and turned him into a smash captain.

I wanted to buy one before it disappeared, because he came out at the same time as a number of other individual Space Marine characters and all of the others are no longer sold.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    I'm considering getting my little brother an airbrush for basecoating: specifically for his Grey Knights army & vehicles. I've got my previous compressor, so I just need the airbrush, hose, cleaning supplies, and paint (silver, red, & white). He's a bit unpredictable as to whether he'll take good care of things, he's been pretty good about the minis themselves, but I'm not sure he'll be able to keep it spotless. Any suggestions for a cheap but reliable starter airbrush for basecoating?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Purple
    I remember I was suppose the contrast cultist. Finished the squad today. Each took about 20 minutes including some basing with the wraitbone because they are primed black from ages ago.

a9uzmEcl.jpg

HW7Y6Zwl.jpg

xZHctg0l.jpg

l1qIzL2l.jpg

2hKR25Kl.jpg

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    I'm considering getting my little brother an airbrush for basecoating: specifically for his Grey Knights army & vehicles. I've got my previous compressor, so I just need the airbrush, hose, cleaning supplies, and paint (silver, red, & white). He's a bit unpredictable as to whether he'll take good care of things, he's been pretty good about the minis themselves, but I'm not sure he'll be able to keep it spotless. Any suggestions for a cheap but reliable starter airbrush for basecoating?

Honestly, if it's JUST for basecoating a Grey Knights army, I'd strongly suggest just buying metallic spray paint instead.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    Yep, that's also an option. I was thinking of picking up that leadbelcher can, but I'm just always excited to share new toys with him, and with the hand-me-down air compressor, well, "if you give a mouse a cookie..." But you're right. Just based off of the available space he has right now it's not a great idea.

Who'd have thunk there'd be temperance in the painting thread.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »

Honestly, if it's JUST for basecoating a Grey Knights army, I'd strongly suggest just buying metallic spray paint instead.

I plan of getting one just for basecoats since I did post the sea of termagants I built last night. I personally feel the number I have of them is worth a can alone

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Yep, that's also an option. I was thinking of picking up that leadbelcher can, but I'm just always excited to share new toys with him, and with the hand-me-down air compressor, well, "if you give a mouse a cookie..." But you're right. Just based off of the available space he has right now it's not a great idea.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, my airbrush is one of the best purchases of my life. But it all depends on what one's planning to do with it - it takes space, takes some time to learn the basic controls, proper thinning, cleaning (and the supplies required for both). I've done a fair share of commissions and I'm currently painting three different armies for myself, all of them with two colours, so of course an airbrush is the obvious choice. But for one single-colour army - no way I'd invest in it.

Mayday on
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    So painting my neophyte hybrids, I'm coloring the carapace on their arms a dark blue, but a couple of them have 'nid arms I put on, and I'm not sure if I should color the majority of the arm the same color as their skin, or as the carapace.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »

Yeah, don't get me wrong, my airbrush is one of the best purchases of my life. But it all depends on what one's planning to do with it - it takes space, takes some time to learn the basic controls, proper thinning, cleaning (and the supplies required for both). I've done a fair share of commissions and I'm currently painting three different armies for myself, all of them with two colours, so of course an airbrush is the obvious choice. But for one single-colour army - no way I'd invest in it.

I plan on just primer coats and bigger things like tanks
    But it's the fact I don't have a table set aside just for painting is one of the reasons I did not get one yet as you did point out an airbrush does take up room

• Options
    I have a painting table in the living room of our two-room apartment.
    I don't think there's anything in the whole apartment my wife hates more, lol.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I actually disagree with the one color army comment. My airbrush has been a life saver painting all the blue I've had to paint for Ultramarines. Being able to quickly prime and basecoat my smurfs has made all the investment in to my airbrush worth it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    So painting my neophyte hybrids, I'm coloring the carapace on their arms a dark blue, but a couple of them have 'nid arms I put on, and I'm not sure if I should color the majority of the arm the same color as their skin, or as the carapace.

What color would you use for full-fledged genestealers or 'nids non-carapace parts if you had them in your army?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    I would have used their "Flesh" color (which is a bit different from the cultists) but I might change that now? Not that I necessarily feel bound to what the 'canon' paint schemes are going for, when I was painting the cultists I was trying generally to accomplish a similar overall effect as the default, and it hadn't really registered that the way they're painting/designing the stealers has shifted from this sort of thing

99120106007_GenestealersNEW01.jpg

to this

latest?cb=20130311082930

So now... I'm not sure. On the one hand I see what they're going for with the more distinct "Chitiny" and "armored" look, and that's reflected in the cultists, on the other hand I do sort of like the "flesh" look for the kind of melding, and I am going for a bit of a Cthuluy feel, and on the gripping hand I can't really strip just the paint on the arms even if I had stripper but I don't want to over-paint them either.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    About painting tyrainids
    this is great but
    n5tzzev8ucpf.jpg
    o3n5cjv7bmq9.jpg
    u813bl5ahvz8.jpg
    ls58bp0ov52v.jpg
    I know you cannot get a few of the paints anymore {is soulstone red the same a bloodletter?} Do I really want to do that level of detail on my swarm of gaunts? What I showed I did on my keyboard was maybe less than a 3rd of what I have
    I feel the reason why I have been building my swarm of gaunts is I messed up on my eldar and the dry brush of black templars I felt so I am doing the tyranids since they are simple
    My lamp will be here tomorrow the only thing stopping me is priming and I am not going to do that tonight as it's just starting and getting me to twitch

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    *Chug Chug Chug Thunk Chug Chug* <-The train-sound-analog of my painting progress this year.

Another chunk of life, another Battletech unit done. This is the *Thunk* up there; I hadn't planned to do this unit so soon, but I've been slowly struggling through another unit and needed something to break up the paint-fight I'm having with that lance.

This one is a Davion Guards lance in parade colors. At first I was a bit scared taking this on, because I thought it would be hell for the amount of straight lines I'd need to paint. Then, after some practice and real close observation of some examples, I realized that the lines largely break along edges and seams! Wooo, victory!

GWjm25Ih.jpg
    VOCrL17h.jpg
    hCSqpBVh.jpg
    z9zh3FAh.jpg

Then, of course after many hours of painstaking work, I found a way to fuck it all up. I used that suspect can of Army Painter Anti-Shine that I asked about up-thread, and it frosted these 'Mechs up like a birthday cake. Ugh.

Fortunately I was able to do a paint-over on the badly affected areas to bring the pop back to the main colors, and leveraged that frostiness on some of the edges to push the highlights further than I'd originally painted. I kinda half-assed the metallic parts, even with a re-drybrush. It's fine. Also, looking at the red in these pictures, it looks really flat. Oh well.

And then I partly fucked up the base on one of them. You might be able to see it in the pictures, and I'm just going to let it go. I needed to put these figs to bed, so I can get back to the unit I was avoiding work on to do these.

Lesson learned: Art is done when you say its done. Know when to say it's done, and move on!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    I would have used their "Flesh" color (which is a bit different from the cultists) but I might change that now? Not that I necessarily feel bound to what the 'canon' paint schemes are going for, when I was painting the cultists I was trying generally to accomplish a similar overall effect as the default, and it hadn't really registered that the way they're painting/designing the stealers has shifted from this sort of thing

99120106007_GenestealersNEW01.jpg

to this

latest?cb=20130311082930

So now... I'm not sure. On the one hand I see what they're going for with the more distinct "Chitiny" and "armored" look, and that's reflected in the cultists, on the other hand I do sort of like the "flesh" look for the kind of melding, and I am going for a bit of a Cthuluy feel, and on the gripping hand I can't really strip just the paint on the arms even if I had stripper but I don't want to over-paint them either.

I'd say go with the skin color if it's not too much trouble, it seems to play better to the idea of a partial mutation. I'd want to limit the carapace color to the really thickly armored parts.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    About painting tyrainids
    this is great but
    n5tzzev8ucpf.jpg
    o3n5cjv7bmq9.jpg
    u813bl5ahvz8.jpg
    ls58bp0ov52v.jpg
    I know you cannot get a few of the paints anymore {is soulstone red the same a bloodletter?} Do I really want to do that level of detail on my swarm of gaunts? What I showed I did on my keyboard was maybe less than a 3rd of what I have
    I feel the reason why I have been building my swarm of gaunts is I messed up on my eldar and the dry brush of black templars I felt so I am doing the tyranids since they are simple
    My lamp will be here tomorrow the only thing stopping me is priming and I am not going to do that tonight as it's just starting and getting me to twitch

Painting the nids to that standard would kill you. Contrast, or primer + base layer + wash. I'd limit myself to 3 different colors: skin, carapace, mouth

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    About painting tyrainids
    this is great but
    n5tzzev8ucpf.jpg
    o3n5cjv7bmq9.jpg
    u813bl5ahvz8.jpg
    ls58bp0ov52v.jpg

Painting the nids to that standard would kill you. Contrast, or primer + base layer + wash. I'd limit myself to 3 different colors: skin, carapace, mouth

I know
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlkeURdZ8D8

And this is my swarm from last night
    ipbe06la2fse.png

As I have about 30 to 40 more to go
    I don't need to get much more I realized for my Tyranid army long ago I got most of this as prizes and fire sale deals
    I just need to get a couple of tyrannofex/tervigon

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    About painting tyrainids
    this is great but
    n5tzzev8ucpf.jpg
    o3n5cjv7bmq9.jpg
    u813bl5ahvz8.jpg
    ls58bp0ov52v.jpg

Perfect example of why this level of detail is entirely unnecessary for massed infantry. On the zoom level of my phone screen I can literally see zero difference after step 6 and that’s going to be the same on the tabletop viewing distance.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    When I am done building my swarm I will take a pic of them all
    Or as my brother joked was I going to fill that bag?

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Any tyranid troop choices I do down the road are going to be contrast bone for their fleshy bits and contrast shyish purple for their shells, and then maybe some highlights.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I would do skeletal horde but I have a ton of sepia wash because of the recent deal

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I would do skeletal horde but I have a ton of sepia wash because of the recent deal

That works too. Pic 2 up there is totally fine with no additional work on the fleshy bits. Steps 1 + 2 + 6 is an acceptable termagant.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Purple
    My newest quandry is what color to make the cult icons. I've considered making it like Innsmouth gold (which is a light/lustrous gold alloy) but I was afraid it wouldn't stick out next to the brassy bronze of their armor, I'm considering jade, do it in a lighter shade than their robes, dry brush details with white then add a gloss finish? That or maybe try for some sort of scrimshawed bone look.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Got my first set of Contrast paints on Wednesday, gonna paint some of my WWX figures with them;

Black Templar
    Fyreslayer Flesh
    Gore-Grunta Fur
    Aggaros Dunes (this, over wraithbone, dries into a really nice pale yellow that'll work perfectly, I think, for buffalo leather)
    Blood Angels Red
    Warp Lightning
    Talassar Blue
    Apothecary White

Those last four, even at the official GW store in town, were really low on stock. I also got a rattlecan of Wraithbone (and a small pot), the last one they had on the shelf. Grey Seer by contrast (kek) had a whole bunch of cans remaining.

• Options

That works too. Pic 2 up there is totally fine with no additional work on the fleshy bits. Steps 1 + 2 + 6 is an acceptable termagant.

I would fill in the eyes though but the video I posted and the 1-2-6 are acceptable
    Just I feel that paint guide is more of bigger things like warriors

Still looking in the box the funny thing I forgot I kept them in the box they were shipped in which was looked at by US Customs. I don't need much to fill out my Tyranid force just the bigger things like the tyrannofex/tervigon kits I have none. a few hive guard and some zoanthropes {I have a few raveners I don't know how many though

• Options
    Ok my lamp came today . The weather was ok enough to prime and I did a few models

I primed a few tyranid warriors to test out the paint I posted earlier {I don't have ushabti bone, ceramite white , bugman's or flash gitz they don't make bloodletter so I will think about that

This was just one with skeleton horde the other with seraphim sepia

h3q6c32mqers.png
    fndufci7b350.png
    And I did three one I did not do the skin on yet as I tested the red over black to see how it turned out
    jb5mscpryhs2.png
    al7eoinv37ae.png
    I just needed to work on the placement of the light for photos since it works fine for what I was doing with it

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Purple
    So I'd like some advice/opinions on a particular look I'm going for. My Genestealer Cult is supposed to have a more aquatic/watery feel to them in terms of theme, and as part of that I'm trying for a bluish tinge to their skin/carapace. I'm using an agrax earthshade wash with a bit of purple, and a guilliman blue glaze. Testing I'm just applying those two on this mini, no highlights yet. The face on the mini below is just the wash, the arms have the glaze. I'm wondering if the blue looks like too much, if just the wash looks better in general? Would adding more Lahmian Medium to the glaze lighten the effect or would it just make it act more like a wash? Should I maybe just be drybrushing on a bluish highlight instead of going for a glaze?

AgpobSW.png

Ok my lamp came today . The weather was ok enough to prime and I did a few models

I primed a few tyranid warriors to test out the paint I posted earlier {I don't have ushabti bone, ceramite white , bugman's or flash gitz they don't make bloodletter so I will think about that

This was just one with skeleton horde the other with seraphim sepia

h3q6c32mqers.png
    fndufci7b350.png
    And I did three one I did not do the skin on yet as I tested the red over black to see how it turned out
    jb5mscpryhs2.png
    al7eoinv37ae.png
    I just needed to work on the placement of the light for photos since it works fine for what I was doing with it

I'd recommend trying a dark background. It's a piece of advice I saw that helped me recently, something to do with some camera's overcompensating due to a whiter/lighter background.

Lord_Asmodeus on
This discussion has been closed.