As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    When it comes to painting/modeling competitions I flash back to one school I was at in middle school that had after class clubs
    I joined the plastic modeling one because the rest were full and I had an interest in this. Of the scant time the club met {every Wed or Thursday I don't remember which and it was really more of at the end of the club someone would say if there was a meeting next week

Comes to the end of the school year That last meeting some of the older kids brought in far better models than they were working on. One had a 1:24 WW2 flying boat. It was huge and well done I had a dinky 1:72 I was learning to line panel on

Then years later the comic/hobby shop I went to when I was in the Corps did a painting/modeling one I turned in my Escher necromunda gang {this was the same era I was getting bullyed over I refused to cut up my painted models because they took wounds and lost limbs or such} A lot of people had D&D ones from various manufacturers. I knew I was not going to win because someone showed up with a case of minis and entered each one I entered my whole gang

The people you play/paint with sound like complete turds.

I don't know what it's like now. As there was good people I did play with just the toxic people stood out more

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I had some company in my painting today!

qxjLNRal.jpg

By Molly age 8 (left) and Eleanor age 6 (right).

They both paint better than me. Awesome jobs!!!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    So for the first time I've painted a model with entering it in a competition in mind.
    I've honestly have to say I was pretty sick of it by the end...

pv0ZDA1.jpg

Sadly since it's also going to be for gaming, I now have to varnish it which will probably kill a bit of the contrast.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Holey! moley!

That's amazing! Love the blue-green

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    sZKOLLU.jpg

It's taken me a fair while, but I painted a full group of things. I'm really not cut out for painting squads but I am amazed what being on holiday and being relaxed has done for my desire to paint.

Picture of the spirit torment.

i6EVHhe.jpg

• Options
    Purple
    Yaaaaaas, J~ <3 Those are frigging gorgeous and I'm so glad you found some drive to bring it all together.

Topically, real-talk for a minute:
    I've spent a few hours painting this weekend while I try and get back into the swing of things since finishing the A-Wings (sorry folks, I've been bad about taking a photo, but you've seen them 90% done anyway :P ), and figuring out where painting fit into my life / schedule has been a big thing for me. I remember a few years back when I was first getting back into painting and trying to make a serious effort to pain those first few MERCS companies, and the Warmachine stuff I picked up that followed them. I was able to push through a lot of that stuff because I didn't have a lot else going on, and the hobby was cathartic in giving me an outlet. That's very much changed between then and now, with more social demands, more responsibilities, more hobbies and less focus on painting for anything other than myself. Painting for long stretches doesn't really work for me anymore, and after work I'm not in the mood because it doesn't really help me unwind at all. ... But I've figured out that I really like to start my day with it. I wake up between 6:30 and 7 most mornings, give the cat a few treats if she gets up with me, wash my hands and then just ... paint. I put a dent in a project and just let my mind coast.

Which is all to say that sometimes trying to change things up might make it all the more enjoyable for you. If you're not happy or enjoying yourself while you're doing this anymore, try painting at a different time, or in a different place, or a different project (I think this is the one most people will be familiar with - just getting away from something to break up the repetition). You might even try painting socially, with friends, or starting a little local club or whatever. And if it still isn't working out, well, take a break, friend (we see this come up here too - there's no shame in it, and for most people experiencing new things with some regularity is good for your mental health and productivity). Never forget this is a hobby, not your job~

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    This page is getting intimidating

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Purple
    Maybe it's just the pot I got, but the Ultramarines blue Contrast paint is fucking awful to work with. It's the first one I've used that has had me wondering if the technique is even worth it, because I'm going to have to go back to traditional brushwork to fix up this blotchy mess anyway.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Maybe it's just the pot I got, but the Ultramarines blue Contrast paint is fucking awful to work with. It's the first one I've used that has had me wondering if the technique is even worth it, because I'm going to have to go back to traditional brushwork to fix up this blotchy mess anyway.

I've found that the biggest part of getting contrast to look good is a thorough pass to pull away blotches, rinse brush, repeat, so that flat spaces look ok.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »

I've found that the biggest part of getting contrast to look good is a thorough pass to pull away blotches, rinse brush, repeat, so that flat spaces look ok.

The problem I've been having with this color is that the edges of brushstrokes start to dry very quickly, making it look even worse if I try to smoothen the look with another pass.

On the other hand, the apothecary white is amazing, and combines really beautifully with a zenithal highlight on the basecoat.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »

The problem I've been having with this color is that the edges of brushstrokes start to dry very quickly, making it look even worse if I try to smoothen the look with another pass.

On the other hand, the apothecary white is amazing, and combines really beautifully with a zenithal highlight on the basecoat.

i have found a little contrast medium on the brush can help move the colour around much nicer than just using the brush alone. reduces the blotchiness substantially.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    My problem it's been to hot to paint {As it is in the high 90's to flirting with going over to 100 } so it dries weird hence my need to go back and touch up my kill team primaris when it was cooler

I painted this necron warrior as a test about something it came out ok I just need to get the greens though
    u1qnagecixg0.jpg

I was only testing to see how it turned out in the mid afternoon

Brainleech on
  • Options
    Yes it was too hot and stuffy in the house because the fan died yesterday that is not the only thing I am upset about
    I painted three necrons in the heat today to test out if I can do it since when I did my kill team the paint got dry in spots and streaked or blotched
    gsffgbaq76wv.png
    ichphpep36ef.png
    I was going to do a dry brush and debate about getting some greens to do the base colors on my harlequins and the tubes rune on my necrons

• Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    The streaky/blotchiness could work on the Necrons though, right? I think they pop up out of the ground sometimes. I like the affect, even if unintended.

• Options
    What I meant was this

v3lg4qo3q18h.png
    7bduf3blqc7c.png
    I have fixed it since then but I was debating about how I would do the bag since the aggros dunes paint blew up in the mail. I saw in the harlequins paint book they did a worn black leather look with some of the paints I do have

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hncV0yh-eok

Proves you can save anything even the dark eldar release minis

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Mayday wrote: »
    @McGibs the army's looking stellar! Is the display meant for some painting competition?

Thanks! The display board is just expected for all our local events (club's very hobby centric) and it's part of the painting score. Some people go NUTS with their boards. Winner of best overall this weekend was pirate orks, with a full giant pirate ship (plus island) diorama.

Also, I don't think I ever posed this here, but earlier this year I redesigned our Toronto club logo. Was a lot of fun and it's so cool to see it pop up in all the playerpacks, dice, objectivemarkers, and other miscellaneous stuff.

ihu16853yjop.jpg

7xqyffjgneu1.jpg

sz7eklrilpfv.jpg

5lazcfnnfeg9.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I finally live in a place big enough for an art station again, so I'm thinking of getting back into painting. All my old paints have dried out at this point except some of my GW washes from when they debuted that "new" wash several years back. What's the word on the paint scene these days? Any new products I should look into?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    Artereis wrote: »
    I finally live in a place big enough for an art station again, so I'm thinking of getting back into painting. All my old paints have dried out at this point except some of my GW washes from when they debuted that "new" wash several years back. What's the word on the paint scene these days? Any new products I should look into?

We've talked about 'contrast' paints (new GW line) the last couple of pages. It seems neat and has its uses. If you are like me and enjoy the process of prime->base->wash->highlight and consider contrast 'cheating' then you probably just want to go pick up grandpa paints or try to rejuvenate what you have.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So since they no longer make ceramite white I thought I would try a dry brush of wraithbone
    fu4e02v82pqv.png
    I did these two with Skeleton Horde to see how it turned out with the dry brush I feel I have to go back with a wash again
    8f9qu9vm9xab.png

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple

If you're like me and are more interested in having painted figs than painting them, contrast is magic.

Rattlecan prime (using one of 2 specific primers) then slather on the wash-like contrast paint and presto! You can enhance by drybrushing or edge highlighting or whatever. (E.g., Grey seer + apothecary white + drybrush a true white gives a very nice cold white, but the first two steps only give a grey.)

Especially contrast red and yellow is like a million times better than using regular paint. (Vallejo flat red = 5 layers. Contrast Blood angels red = 1 layer.)

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

If you're like me and are more interested in having painted figs than painting them, contrast is magic.

Rattlecan prime (using one of 2 specific primers) then slather on the wash-like contrast paint and presto! You can enhance by drybrushing or edge highlighting or whatever. (E.g., Grey seer + apothecary white + drybrush a true white gives a very nice cold white, but the first two steps only give a grey.)

Especially contrast red and yellow is like a million times better than using regular paint. (Vallejo flat red = 5 layers. Contrast Blood angels red = 1 layer.)

The yellow I kind of want to do since I vaguely knew or could guess what they painted the Masque of the Veiled Path pre me getting the painting guide for them
    It's this
    3zn96afukk56.png

Yellow is tricky I know but I am tempted to do my harlequins with a combo of regular and contrast paints

Brainleech on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So I was thinking of starting up a Tau army now that I'm pretty solid on my Necrons and Space Wolves.

I have a Tau kill team painted up using colorshift paint and I still have a lot of work to do but I think for a 40k Tau army I want to do a different color scheme. While colorshift looks nice I don't think I'd like it on an entire army.

I've decided to revisit the idea of painting them up Maliwan style from Borderlands. I got really frustrated the first time I tried this with the kill team but I think I'm gonna power through and figure out how to do it.

This does mean I gotta get back onto Borderlands 2 to try and farm up the missing Maliwan skin for Zero so I have a perfect reference.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Purple

This guy's doing Hyperion Tau and Maliwan Eldar

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    If my scheme to make Valhallans works out, or ifnit doesn't and I end up buying Valhallans or not-Valhalland, I think I'm gonna use Greyseer, Apothecary White, and Ultramarine Blue, along with Snakebite Leather. Then fill in some details and bits with regular paints. Anything to speed up painting IG.

Also, I want to learn weathering techniques. My SM should look pristine, but the snow troopers are in the mud and need to look like it.

I also think I want to paint my vehicles as if they've been whitewashed. Although I'm not sure about that.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Purple
    Dayspring wrote: »

That's originally what I wanted to do with my Dropfleet stuff, but I figured out that masking them was harder than I expected, so I cut my losses. Dang that looks good though.

• Options

Thanks for posting that, seeing someone do the paint scheme makes it seem like something I can actually do. I had previously given up because I felt like it wasn't a plausible paint scheme.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    So I'm finishing up painting my Dark Eldar Kill Team dudes, and my basic color scheme is red armor, green guns, silver tips/edges and melee weapons. Other than that and leather I'm not entirely sure what to do for all the detail stuff on them.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    So I'm finishing up painting my Dark Eldar Kill Team dudes, and my basic color scheme is red armor, green guns, silver tips/edges and melee weapons. Other than that and leather I'm not entirely sure what to do for all the detail stuff on them.

Runes, battle damage, smears of blood, dirt
    I have a bunch of the older dark eldar I am tempted to do the test paints of the Kabal of the flayed skull or do that with my newer kabal troops and with the older one of the old Dark eldar houses like the Lords of the Iron Thorn or the Black Heart Kabal

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Purple
    Doing edge work can be very frustrating but I feel like doing metallic edges can be absolutely maddening. Partly due to needing new detail brushes, but even with good detail brushes when I'm trying to do edges in a metallic color I feel like there's always either so little on my brush that no paint actually transfers to the model, or there's just a bit too much and it ends up painting more than you intended.

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    Stragint wrote: »

Thanks for posting that, seeing someone do the paint scheme makes it seem like something I can actually do. I had previously given up because I felt like it wasn't a plausible paint scheme.

If you click through his feed i'm pretty sure he has some step by step guides somewhere

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Doing edge work can be very frustrating but I feel like doing metallic edges can be absolutely maddening. Partly due to needing new detail brushes, but even with good detail brushes when I'm trying to do edges in a metallic color I feel like there's always either so little on my brush that no paint actually transfers to the model, or there's just a bit too much and it ends up painting more than you intended.

Some of my brushes the glue decayed in them o well
    I have been practicing edge highlights with the tyranid warriors I feel I am going to that oil wash I posted in the painting thread though
    Still I have a bunch of the 1st edition dark eldar {it was basically handed to me twice as they wanted the marines from that set and this was the early days of ebay} So I might do test highlights and line work on them since the Black heart is kind of easy
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbF2HZH5LgU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59NiCgSov8I

That is with the newer kit not the kabal troops of old
    pxplyj4p3r9m.png

The army in question that was handed to me an age ago
    3p443xxdmg0s.png
    6vh93wvlnwkl.png
    ilvwmn48ydbz.png
    rvvponrthnul.png
    4mvxt2qzajlp.png

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »

If you click through his feed i'm pretty sure he has some step by step guides somewhere

I didn't see any step by step, just progression photos.

I don't have an Instagram account though so I'm not sure how to navigate everything.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I feel like old school dark eldar would be a little better if you just replaced all their heads.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    I feel like old school dark eldar would be a little better if you just replaced all their heads.

They invoke the eldar of old the rogue trader look
    2no5hnev5cf2.png
    Just with blades and 90's art

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Ooh, that picture pokes me right in the nostalgia!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Ooh, that picture pokes me right in the nostalgia!

It just shows me a chunk of mine eldar army is old as the hills

Brainleech on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I might be getting my old IG army back. And if I do, I really want to weather them u PL. Battle damage, mud, chipping, snow everywhere.

Anybody know of any good tutorials or videos they can share, or techniques you use you can share?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    I might be getting my old IG army back. And if I do, I really want to weather them u PL. Battle damage, mud, chipping, snow everywhere.

Anybody know of any good tutorials or videos they can share, or techniques you use you can share?

Kind of but they are in a long format and in Japanese

This discussion has been closed.