As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Vinyl seems like it'd be way too thick on something as tiny as a miniature. I've seen some interesting stuff done with gold or silver foil/leaf though to get a mirror-like finish.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Molotow make chrome paint pens. Sounds like they would be just what you are looking for.

giphy.gif

Picture stolen from the bolter and chainsword forums

J on
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Googling that shows me a YouTube vid of someone using the refiller for the pen for airbrushing. At least the preview looks promising for larger models.

• Options
    Typhoid MannyTyphoid Manny Registered User regular
    after more than a decade away from warhams, i'm putting together 1500 points of death guard, including but not limited to

bloat drone (i love this model)
    Nm5sPh6.jpg

typhus
    8kDWvcE.jpg

deathshroud (i wish these guys were useful at all, they look so cool)
    FXXoTuT.jpg

plagueburst crawler, probably my best paintjob
    eB7jApH.jpg

incidentally i need to build a lightbox this weekend

from each according to his ability, to each according to his need
    hitting hot metal with hammers
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    Deathshroud are the best useless after turn 1 units.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Quick test Golem. Paint scheme inspired by thread poll.

oLrdY3Vl.jpg?1
    i9OaGWbl.jpg?1
    ry7Hxffl.jpg?1

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    I’m just not getting contrast paints. I didn’t have my standard Rhinox Hide progression to do the leather portions of this Space Marine Lt, but I did have Wraithbone and Gore-Grunta. I did a light coat and removed all the excess with a secondary dry brush to wick it wherever it pooled (though when I wicked too much out the brush strokes became evident so I put a little back in):

ea0hs7wiiwpq.jpeg
    c9s4nob6ju9f.jpeg

I figured that leather would be a great place to try it out because I didn’t think I’d mind the splotchy-ness on the larger areas, but I didn’t like this result at all. Needless to say I’m a bit frustrated with the Contrast line. I bought the Space Wolves Primaris box which I hope to paint as a gift for my new coworkers, and I want to use the Space Wolves Contrast paint over Grey Seer because of the resulting color, and also for the practice. But I’m going to need a much better tutorial before I feel comfortable practicing it myself.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Purple
    On the other hand here’s an Intercessor holding and Auspex for my kill team that I’m happy with. I’m working on him along with the Lt, with the only difference being that I’m waiting on the leather parts until I get my paint (it’s currently being shipped overseas, so sometime in September):

ftfu0lrmxlgy.jpeg

And a close-up of the Auspex:
    yt5a3sftwyrs.jpeg

Even with the extreme close up I’m pretty proud of how these have turned out so far. I didn’t want to use the same Dark Angels color progression for the screen; luckily I’m still keeping in touch with the GW Store manager I used to frequent, and he’s happy to keep offering advice. I used Waugh! Flesh over the black undercoat and then completely covered it with the new Sons of Horus green. Then Skarsnik for the lines and Krueger Khaki for the dots and a slightly thinned Biel-Tan green wash. I’m thinking of doing a layer of ‘Ard Coat on just the screen after I varnish the model, and I’ll post an update then.

Big thanks to Dr. Keenbean for the advice on the DA color scheme.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2019
    On the other hand here’s an Intercessor holding and Auspex for my kill team that I’m happy with. I’m working on him along with the Lt, with the only difference being that I’m waiting on the leather parts until I get my paint (it’s currently being shipped overseas, so sometime in September):

ftfu0lrmxlgy.jpeg

And a close-up of the Auspex:
    yt5a3sftwyrs.jpeg

Even with the extreme close up I’m pretty proud of how these have turned out so far. I didn’t want to use the same Dark Angels color progression for the screen; luckily I’m still keeping in touch with the GW Store manager I used to frequent, and he’s happy to keep offering advice. I used Waugh! Flesh over the black undercoat and then completely covered it with the new Sons of Horus green. Then Skarsnik for the lines and Krueger Khaki for the dots and a slightly thinned Biel-Tan green wash. I’m thinking of doing a layer of ‘Ard Coat on just the screen after I varnish the model, and I’ll post an update then.

Big thanks to Dr. Keenbean for the advice on the DA color scheme.

If you want a tutorial for Space Wolves and contrast this one is really good.

https://youtu.be/25NzJDd4D_4

Gonna start doing washes on my Tau KT in colorshift paint. Instead of pin washing I'm going to use gloss reikland flesh, agrax, and nuln oil depending on the color.

Also gonna start painting my candy blue metallic grey knights. Working on one using the vallejo metallic aluminum color to paint the trim.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    I have a little spill over onto the blue on the shoulders. I've never tried to brush on tamiya clear paint so I don't know if I can fix it.
    jn0sw4le6ia4.jpg
    xj73xlw3tmlm.jpg
    t0ebt78v604c.jpg
    afwypp7s6bni.jpg

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    Finished my Necromunda Goliath gang leader:
    fjpqoyqfnexd.jpg
    The Rust Point Devastators are an old and established gang, at least by House Goliath standards. Using their size and power to stabilise the status quo and keep their position as the dominant force in the area, Gerhalt instead saw this as stagnation.
    Challenging his leader in single combat and failing, an act of mercy saw him exiled. Wandering the lowest points of the underhive, Gerhalt found a great treasure discarded and broken amongst the ruins; an ancient suit of armour.
    Fixing it up as best he could, he returned to the Devastators and led a swift and bloody coup. Under his new leadership, the Devs have begun a violent expansion into new territories, looking to reclaim their reputation as a gang to be feared and a force of reckless danger.

Game wise I'll be aiming to get him some servo rig or carapace something as the campaign goes on to represent his armour becoming more and more operational

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    Purple
    I found a hobby store nearby my apartment in Tokyo: it’s a pretty interesting departure from Hobby Lobby let me tell you! They had an entire wall stand dedicated to pin vice drills and brass wire in .1mm gradients starting at 0.3 mm and up to 1.5. The entire Tamiya paint range, including the panel lining and weathering powders, and at a 1/4 of their regular cost on Amazon. Then, of course, was Gundam. Aisles and aisles of Gundam and their miscellaneous accessories. The one thing they didn’t have was empty dropper bottles. I need to import those it seems.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Oh how I wish there was something like that near me.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Purple
    J wrote: »
    Oh how I wish there was something like that near me.

I wouldn't. I would never leave their shop.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I know I posted the ebay recuses video about contrast
    It's different yet the same to see the same from the Warhammer tv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGCPGNnl69A

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    So I'm trying to see if I can adapt some other daemon heads to my furies to give them a bit more variety in the face area, and I'd like to know if this looks alright or not, I'm not sure if I like it or not. Also, do you think it would be better if I cut the neck bit off and tried to glue it on that way

links for size

https://i.imgur.com/mtqSrDW.png
    https://i.imgur.com/f6N2IkU.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/3iGL9sw.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/uHgMDYb.png

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    They look good!

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    This Molotow Liquid Chrome paint pen is legit. I did a test blade straight on the plastic; it's not exactly mirrorlike, but it definitely has some reflectivity.

https://youtu.be/tRyR0I0VhVY

The chrome finish gets obliterated when handled though, even after drying. I'm definitely going to have to clearcoat immediately, which means it's time to look into varnishes. Any suggestions for what I should use? I think a clearcoat over the primer to get the smoothest surface possible, then chrome pen, then clearcoat again is going to be best.

Rius on
  • Options
    Does GW basing material come off a base easily if I scrap at it?

• Options
    Rius wrote: »
    This Molotow Liquid Chrome paint pen is legit. I did a test blade straight on the plastic; it's not exactly mirrorlike, but it definitely has some reflectivity.

https://youtu.be/tRyR0I0VhVY

The chrome finish gets obliterated when handled though, even after drying. I'm definitely going to have to clearcoat immediately, which means it's time to look into varnishes. Any suggestions for what I should use? I think a clearcoat over the primer to get the smoothest surface possible, then chrome pen, then clearcoat again is going to be best.

Do they make other colors of chrome? like a purple or red? Could you do a glaze over it?

• Options
    I think this brand is just the silver chrome. Also it can take days to fully dry? I've been going down a rabbit hole of opinions on what sort of product to use to protect it once you've laid it down.

• Options
    I wish all the GW washes had a gloss version. I'm doing washes on my colorshift Tau and someone of them I want to use certain washes but I'm try to stay glossy.

I guess it wouldn't matter if I hit them with another gloss varnish, would it?

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Fuck I spent so long on these knights. I need to figure out how to speed up my painting.

FULL ALBUM HERE

E3Iu30Jh.jpg
    IXIf5Nwh.jpg
    HL5ISMRh.jpg
    IJiRsaih.jpg
    G8FRQayh.jpg

• Options
    Feel pretty finished with the skeleton. Kind of worried the matte varnish is gonna mess up the blood for the blood god though.

2xz5cculjk42.jpg
    s4b853fadj7q.jpg

• Options
    Well it won't be shiny if you matte coat the whole thing.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    If you have any brush-on gloss topcoat or just a simple glaze medium, you can brush that over top after the matte dries to restore a bunch of the shine. That's what I did on the gemstones on my Retribution stuff.

• Options
    Is brushing varnish pretty easy? I have GW ardcoat and stormshield.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is brushing varnish pretty easy? I have GW ardcoat and stormshield.

I had a bad experience with brush on varnish, you have to be careful about how much you put on or you get like a frosted opaque effect if it goes on too heavy. I'm afraid to use it now on most of my stuff and use spray testers dullcote instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    I would recommend thinning it a bit just like you do paint. I've never used the GW stuff, so you might want to do a small test first, but it should be workable.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I’ve always found that thinning varnish changes its properties WRT shine so be careful about that. On the other hand I’ve never had brush on varnish frost or funk up on me so… (mostly using Vallejo stuff, but also GW’s classic back in the day and their Ardcoat more recently).

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    I just finished the second think coat of ardcoat and stormshield varnish on the model. Seems good so far, no clouding or anything. It was a lot easier thank expected.

I am glad to be done with this project though. I do have one other model but I no longer like the look of it for the frostgrave warband so I'm leaving it out for now.

I got the sudden urge to paint a bunch. I want to paint up a few Primaris Space Wolves in the technique in the video I posted earlier, I really want to get paint on them just haven't been in the mood. I also want to at least do the shade wash on all of my Tau KT since I've decided I'm not pin washing. I also did some more silver detail work on one of the Grey Knights I have for KT. Not sure what else to paint silver though.

I'm still not confident enough to start the Maliwan theme on my 40K Tau, I think I need more time painting other stuff to get a good feel. I also need to buy a black ink for the project to do a cell shaded look. I am gonna grab vallejo ink off of amazon.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »

Holy shit, if you find a good varnish please let me know, that weapon sheen looks incredible.

I think it plus some Blood for the Blood God would look amazing. I'm planning on painting a small number of Stormcast with offensively bright and clean armor (right out of the forge, essentially), and that looks like it would be the perfect effect for their bladed weapons as opposed to my usual Leadbelcher+Nuln Oil+Stormhost Silver/Ironbreaker routine.

• Options
    edited August 2019
    Basically done with my frostgrave warband now. Only thing left are the grass tufts I ordered.

mq0cv8uoa9nu.jpg
    m94r9gvw28r3.jpg
    9howjfq512e0.jpeg

Stragint on

• Options
    So I got stuck painting my kill team because I did not know what to highlight them with
    mnazjrt49yrm.png
    al3glxiso6ox.png
    I had to do a grocery run and it's another block to the GW store {I really should have packed water as my body gave out on the way back} So I asked showing them that and two other minis he said try
    2bvr9pcjetij.png
    Sotek Green for a highlight
    Was he wrong? or

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Saw Kiko tweet this and thought of this dope thread:

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    Alright so here's the three Furies whose heads I replaced with Daemonette heads, did some greenstuff to try and make it flow better, hope it looks good when I get them all painted and primed. Probably going to do cracked earth of some variety on all of my Warcry bases, since it seems thematic and also I'm lazy.

linked for large

https://i.imgur.com/GwhMeel.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/4TkSrcp.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/w4S2RXS.jpg
    https://i.imgur.com/CXMwHYf.jpg

Also, I should start using a dust mask while working with greenstuff just to stop myself from absentmindedly biting my nails while I have greenstuff on my finger. I don't think it's that toxic but it's probably a bad habit.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I have the urge to paint so many things right now that I'm getting overwhelmed and painting nothing. It sucks.

I've decided to test something out. I'm gonna paint up an Aggressor shoulder pad and add some of the clear crackle paint I used for my knight base and see if I can get a frozen look to the shoulders for my Aggressors.

I also want to go buy that drawer set from IKEA that was posted earlier but the store is so far away. I might be able to make it after work tomorrow if I don't get stuck on a call.

Stragint on

• Options
    I have the urge to paint so many things right now that I'm getting overwhelmed and painting nothing. It sucks.

I've decided to test something out. I'm gonna paint up an Aggressor shoulder pad and add some of the clear crackle paint I used for my knight base and see if I can get a frozen look to the shoulders for my Aggressors.

I also want to go buy that drawer set from IKEA that was posted earlier but the store is so far away. I might be able to make it after work tomorrow if I don't get stuck on a call.

I know the feeling about the urge to paint and being overwhelmed as it was the stress and crap I put up with at the hell known to men for years that caused me to stop painting. It's odd to get back into it but knowing I don't quite have the skills I once did}
    I really should get something to store my paint as I just keep them all in a box so this way I when I go to the GW store I can remember what colors I want instead of picking the same paints again Damn Zandri Dust I meant to get Ushabti Bone this time

fhhy7ektubwl.png
    I had to look up where the nearest Ikea store was to me in TX or CO both a 8+ hour drive

• Options
    This frost shoulder thing is coming out nicely so far. Only about an hour or two into drying though.

uxtJWZL.jpg
    Brainleech wrote: »

I know the feeling about the urge to paint and being overwhelmed as it was the stress and crap I put up with at the hell known to men for years that caused me to stop painting. It's odd to get back into it but knowing I don't quite have the skills I once did}
    I really should get something to store my paint as I just keep them all in a box so this way I when I go to the GW store I can remember what colors I want instead of picking the same paints again Damn Zandri Dust I meant to get Ushabti Bone this time

fhhy7ektubwl.png
    I had to look up where the nearest Ikea store was to me in TX or CO both a 8+ hour drive

Yea, I have bought doubles and triples of paints by accident before. I have all of mine in an amazon box. 100+ bottles of paint, probably pretty close to 150 or 160 and then all the various airbrush brand paints I have.

This discussion has been closed.