As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    I know to steal a good idea when I hear of one

gy71pfsk6b9i.jpg

adqv4hyjzsjq.jpg
    Now you just need to magnetize the paint pots, so they don't shift around when you slide the drawers out.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    As a magnet...

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What is a cheap resin to use for water effects?

I bought this reaper mini that is a brain in a jar on mechanical legs and I want to actually fill the jar with a liquid looking resin with some bubbles to look like water.

Also does something like this expand? Could it potentially break the plastic jar?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

I bought this reaper mini that is a brain in a jar on mechanical legs and I want to actually fill the jar with a liquid looking resin with some bubbles to look like water.

Also does something like this expand? Could it potentially break the plastic jar?

What are you planning on using as most resins don't expand
    you can naturally just get bubbles by pouring it straight into the jar

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Purple
    I'm considering adding gold to some details like the coins, to add a brighter "warm" color to the mix.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Purple
    I'm considering adding gold to some details like the coins, to add a brighter "warm" color to the mix.

IFXeZ5wl.png

KFhPv3nl.png

2NkfACxl.png

You could also try a Reikland or Agra’s shade to give it a rusted or dirty metal look for significantly less effort. You could also paint the keys and other knickknacks hanging from the breastplate a copper or gold color to draw the eyes more towards the center of the model. Gold might be better in that case.

Liberal amounts of Blood for the Blood God would also work, especially on the weapon head, shield upper half, and helmet.

italianranma on
    飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Golems all over the place. Here's my finished dude.

Lb5zWn7.jpg

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    A beaut! That saturated green and blue works so well with the brass.

website_header.jpg
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Purple
    So I'm going to be painting my first vehicle in a very long time, a Repulsor Executioner. Are there any tips/tricks for getting really crisp, even, edge highlights on the armor panels? I was thinking of ways I could use my airbrush to do it, maybe using some plasticard or something to create a perfectly straight edge? I don't know, looking for tips here, and willing to experiment.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Brainleech wrote: »

I don't know what to use. Trying to find a cheap resin to use that is clear. It isn't very big, it is barely too big for a 40mm base.

9ufjwlks935w.jpg

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited August 2019
    Purple

I don't know what to use. Trying to find a cheap resin to use that is clear. It isn't very big, it is barely too big for a 40mm base.

9ufjwlks935w.jpg

You could try any number of two-part clear epoxy resins for this. I've used stuff like this in the past to make Gelatinous Cubes for D&D.

Or you could grab a tube of two-part epoxy like this and test it out in a plastic shot glass to see if it gives you what you're looking for, without a big investment.

Or, and this is a little crazy pants, you could try sealing up the miniature and using water as the fluid.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    I think the two main drawbacks with actual water are:
    - No structural re-enforcement
    - It's almost inevitable you're going to break down the painting of the brain

I mean, maybe someone makes a waterproof paint product, but I feel like you'd just be so much better off getting into resin at that point anyway ...

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I, personally, would also constantly be wondering about what kinds of micro-organisms are breeding in my brain-mini.

Do you want the liquid crystal clear or with a haze or slightly opaque?

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Or, and this is a little crazy pants, you could try sealing up the miniature and using water as the fluid.

Even more crazy, make it wave-motion. Put a drop or two of blue (or green, etc) food coloring in water to taste, fill the container 3/4 with the water, fill the rest with baby oil and seal it.

But yeah, gotta worry about plastic/paint compatibility if using actual liquid.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Yea, water eroding the paint is why I want to try a resin.

I'm not sure, maybe crystal clear but tinted.

9ufjwlks935w.jpg

You could try any number of two-part clear epoxy resins for this. I've used stuff like this in the past to make Gelatinous Cubes for D&D.

Or you could grab a tube of two-part epoxy like this and test it out in a plastic shot glass to see if it gives you what you're looking for, without a big investment.

I'll keep those in mind, they seem pretty easy to use.

Thinking about it I'd like something I can use to cast limbs for my Necrons as well to make it look like my broken Necron Warriors are phasing.

9ufjwlks935w.jpg

Thinking about it I'd like something I can use to cast limbs for my Necrons as well to make it look like my broken Necron Warriors are phasing.

The water effects can do both
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P5GSDNpExQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vsPjZf1cL0
    kayakasaurus does a lot of resin water effects in his dioramas so

I don't know how you view the phasing of necrons but you can do the same thing with homemade molds with Sculpey or like clays as for the color it's just adding it to the water effect when you mix it up

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    More working on my Ynari and rather than spend all the money on finecast Rangers I decided to kitbash my own
    SPpHtnm.jpg

edited August 2019
    Stopped being a lazy ass today and did some work on my knights. I feel weird having the big section of the castellan missing in the front but I don't want to put it in and paint it up if I have to make modifications for the head I plan on putting in.

Right now I just need to shade the balthasar gold, leadbelcher and stormhost silver. I did stormhost on the joints down at the feet and on the arms connecting the gun, everything else is leadbelcher. Gonna do nuln oil gloss on the leadbelcher and agrax on the balthasar gold and stormhost but I think I've also heard that reikland flesh looks good on stormhost silver. Not sure which to do.

Once I finish the shade and dry brush on the silver, my helverins will be at the same spot my warglaives are at and my castellan will be nearly done as well. I plan on varnishing them with gloss varnish and then painting some of the parts on the castellan guns Space Wolves colors and then some other random panels on the body that look like armor.

OxTQEo0.jpg
    uCLUMYE.jpg

Stragint on

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Reikland is good on pistons for the oily part.

9ufjwlks935w.jpg

The water effects can do both
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4P5GSDNpExQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vsPjZf1cL0
    kayakasaurus does a lot of resin water effects in his dioramas so

I don't know how you view the phasing of necrons but you can do the same thing with homemade molds with Sculpey or like clays as for the color it's just adding it to the water effect when you mix it up

Kind of a clear green tinted like the rods they come with. Might also want blue and orange though.

I did a wash on the silvers and balathasar gold. I feel like the leadbelcher is still too bright. Might do another shade and then dry brush the new colors.

You can tint the resin most will say how to do it but it's just a bit of the color you want
    You can mix in glitter to get that phasing in

• KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    Sorry if this has been asked too many times, but I checked through the thread quickly and didn't see it. What brushes do you folks recommend (mainly 40k models)? I've been using army painter, and they work well, but wondering if there is something higher quality.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Winsor & Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable brushes are my absolute favorite. They're really nice and you can get them decently priced on ebay.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • KublaKhanKublaKhan Registered User regular
    Those look nice, thanks for the tip! Trying to improve my free-handing and need something better.

edited August 2019
    Feeling pretty done with the skeleton of the golden Imperial Knight models. Added my other armigers just for fun. Still have another knight to paint up but I don't know if I want to go gold or dark silver.

Loads of pictures so here is an album link.
    You can tint the resin most will say how to do it but it's just a bit of the color you want
    You can mix in glitter to get that phasing in

Tight, thank you. I will probably start on this project next pay check if I'm not still in a paint focused mood.

Stragint on

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I'm painting up my Cypher Lords for Warcry and I'm trying to visibly differentiate the Mindbound (lower statlines) from the Mirrorblades (better statlines). This is a progress pic; the Mindbound are in blue and the Mirrorblades in purple.

03rtddoszvx8.jpg

I don't like how the Mindbound (who I did first) have a mostly blue helmet and I'm not wild about the Retributor/Leadbelcher combo I used for their icons, so I bought some Screaming Bell and Hashut Copper to play around with. I'd like the crests to stay the way they are (they need some highlighting) but the face/rear of the helmet is gonna go a different metallic color. I love how the rays came out, though.

The Mirrorblades', well, blades, will all get that chrome pen treatment and I reckon I'll do that last, then let them sit for a while and play with my Splintered Fang instead before clearcoating them.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Back to brain in a jar chat, you can use tinted water fine with acrylic paints, as they’re just plastics and not really affected by it in any noticeable way. I did that exact thing, the only problem is even with a perfect seal the water will still slowly evaporate out of the container. I ended up drilling a hole in the bottom and plugging it with bluetac for the monthly water refills.

Specimen jar pictures!
    V4MKgLt.jpgQgzsxAc.jpg

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Badablack wrote: »
    Back to brain in a jar chat, you can use tinted water fine with acrylic paints, as they’re just plastics and not really affected by it in any noticeable way. I did that exact thing, the only problem is even with a perfect seal the water will still slowly evaporate out of the container. I ended up drilling a hole in the bottom and plugging it with bluetac for the monthly water refills.

Specimen jar pictures!
    V4MKgLt.jpgQgzsxAc.jpg
    My friend, this is not how physics works. ;p

Nice results though~

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    @Nips my first attempt at an Oosik. Wash is still drying.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Purple
    Fuselage wrote: »

This Awesome is filthy.

I LOVE it!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I went over with a little bit of wash and thought to myself...decades or centuries of use by booze fiends? Yeah, these mechs will be well worn!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

What bottle of paint you using there?

kx3klFE.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Purple
    Red Corsairs battalion is ready for NoVA next Friday. Still have a lot to go but at least these are done.

ElmyBP2l.jpg

hqdByy6l.jpg

AVFdZVtl.jpg

The bases are just simple atm. But the full ones if I have time are snow covered with grass.

u7stthr17eud.png

The Orange, Blue, and touch up Black were Army Painter. The white was gloopy Vallejo that I bought several years ago. Wash was Army Painter Dark Tone, black primer was whatever can of plastic primer I got from Walmart.

I'll give actual names when I get home from work.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

The Orange, Blue, and touch up Black were Army Painter. The white was gloopy Vallejo that I bought several years ago. Wash was Army Painter Dark Tone, black primer was whatever can of plastic primer I got from Walmart.

I'll give actual names when I get home from work.

I'm always looking to try new paint. How many coats of blue and orange did you have to layer on?

kx3klFE.png
    Starting to look like I'll need to actually buy a beastclaws raider stonehorn box to finish my castellan. Nothing on ebay for the last few weeks for the head I want.

I'm debating on whether I'm skilled enough to paint up the model after I take the head I want and sell it for a decent price.

edited August 2019
    @HydroSqueegee
    Rustoleum Paint+Primer rattle can
    Army Painter - Lava Orange and Deep Blue

I'm not proud if it, but I put several layers on. As in, yes that's good, but I painted ONLY that one mini and was extremely inefficient with my time/paint. Next time I'll probably do three at a time, and I basically stopped putting on layers when the paint dried out in the palette. Then I'd revive it with a drop of water and basically lightly wash the color on before calling it quits.

I don't exactly have what you would call...any technique.

Edit: The orange started thin and I'd paint top to bottom, wait a minute to dry, and then go over all the areas again. It was at least four or five layers on the front of that hex stand, being a large area with all that black. Overall I probably but between four and seven coats on over the course of the day.

Fuselage on
    o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    Purple
    Ok guys, I need a sanity check. I've been waiting almost a week for the weather to break enough to Dullcote spray some models I've been working on for a very long time. It looks like over the next several days it'll be a few degrees over 70*F and a few percent over 60% humidity...which are the stated maximums on the Dullcote can. I'm getting antsy, I want to finish these figs.

Do I chance it? Maybe spray a separate test model first? But then how long so I wait to know it's going on clear?

I really don't want to fuck this up.

This discussion has been closed.