As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Chrononauts[Phalla]-Game Over - Village Alternate Victory

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    With that, I would suggest:

Wildcat
    Brody
    PsychoCucumber

330AD

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Wildcat

330AD

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    If we go to 1977 and create an anomaly, does that split our current time, and can we then go to the other timeline where presumably nothing bad happened.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    With regards to revealing, I think knowing which years people are interested in makes a ton of sense.

I think revealing what state they need those years to be in does not.

The reason is that knowing what years people are interested in makes it harder for the mafia to claim they need to go to a year later on in the week. On the other hand, knowing exactly what I need a year to be in makes it easier for the mafia to kill me (presumably).

I also question how effective our ability to figure out the natural states would be. All the mafia would need to do would be to swap the years of some of them and we could get completely wrong results, with no especially easy way to untangle them. This gets even further exacerbated if not every villager reports in (which seems likely), as we could easily get WRONG results.

Keep in mind, as far as I can tell, the mafia doesn't care about the states, they care about freezing nodes. Whatever state they are in is perfectly fine to them.

SaberOverEasy on
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I think you mean doesn't in your last line SOE

• Options
    kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    Brody, 330AD

PSN: the-K-flash
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular

Wildcat
    Brody
    PsychoCucumber

330AD

How are you landing on this list for suggestions?

• Options

Wildcat
    Brody
    PsychoCucumber

330AD

How are you landing on this list for suggestions?

I talked about it in my last post, which got bottom of the paged.

Essentially, we need to do a middle node today, due to math.

Those are three people who I think are currently inactive, due to their not posting and general lack of activity in the last phalla I played in. That makes it likely that they will just observe the timeline.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    If we go to 1977 and create an anomaly, does that split our current time, and can we then go to the other timeline where presumably nothing bad happened.

"Create Anomaly" and "Fix Anomaly" have no game effect in 1977.

• Options
    Kuhl, 330

I want to be a time traveler, though.

Do we get to vote for teams once per day, or once per team? (If I vote for Alpha team, is that it until tomorrow, or do I still get to vote for Beta and Gamma?)

• Options

Those are three people who I think are currently inactive, due to their not posting and general lack of activity in the last phalla I played in. That makes it likely that they will just observe the timeline.

Ok, that's what I thought, but wanted to check.

That may work today, but we shouldn't consider doing it every day, because then it just encourages mafia to lie low and be picked for missions. Plus, I believe (may need clarity) that they still have till end of day to submit actions, so we're not actually guaranteeing observe so much as having a fallback plan for the few who actually shake out as inactive.

• Options
    kuhlmeye wrote: »
    Kuhl, 330

I want to be a time traveler, though.

Do we get to vote for teams once per day, or once per team? (If I vote for Alpha team, is that it until tomorrow, or do I still get to vote for Beta and Gamma?)

Once per team mission, everyone gets one alpha, beta and gamma vote (two total for long days) in addition to the vote kill.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Wait, none of the 6 teams can contain any duplicates at all? 18 of 20 people need to go on teams today?

• Options
    After re-reading the OP it looks like the only way the Village can find out the natural (correct) state for any given time node is to send 3 people who choose Preserve, Reverse, and Observe. This will cause the node to switch to it's natural state (Preserve/reverse ties) and the 3rd person will Observe that it actually happened. Perhaps we should be sending active folk who can coordinate and perform those 3 actions.... I'd say randomly select from the 3 who gets to Observe (the most important of the 3 to be village).

Thoughts?

• Options

That may work today, but we shouldn't consider doing it every day, because then it just encourages mafia to lie low and be picked for missions. Plus, I believe (may need clarity) that they still have till end of day to submit actions, so we're not actually guaranteeing observe so much as having a fallback plan for the few who actually shake out as inactive.

I agree, but for the first mission, I figured it exposes us to the least possible risk. As phyphor mentioned above, almost all of use are going out today at some point.

We just have 6 more hours or so to figure out what we want to do next and have (hopefully) hit the most troublesome node with people who are just going to observe because they can't put in orders.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    For the double days, can people go out twice? Once per day still?

OrokosPA.png
  • Options

When selected for a team, the team members have until the end of the day (8pm) to submit their Observe/Preserve/etc actions, correct?

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    For the double days, can people go out twice? Once per day still?

For long days, people can still only go on one mission out of the six
    JPants wrote: »

When selected for a team, the team members have until the end of the day (8pm) to submit their Observe/Preserve/etc actions, correct?

correct

• Options
    I fully agree with getting off of 100 Million B.C. though, so
    PsychoCucumber

330AD

• Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    With regards to revealing, I think knowing which years people are interested in makes a ton of sense.

Keep in mind, as far as I can tell, the mafia doesn't care about the states, they care about freezing nodes. Whatever state they are in is perfectly fine to them.

Mafia cares about the states, but in a minor way. If all states are right at the end of the day village wins immediately.

But I agree on giving information on the nodes one is interested in, can't see what mafia will get from that info without knowing what state I need them.
    Mine are:
    100 mil
    330 ad

So I'm more than willing to go Preda, 330 ad instead.

• Options
    Brody, 330 AD

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Preda wrote: »

Mafia cares about the states, but in a minor way. If all states are right at the end of the day village wins immediately.

But I agree on giving information on the nodes one is interested in, can't see what mafia will get from that info without knowing what state I need them.
    Mine are:
    100 mil
    330 ad

What's your general activity time these days? I think it's going to be important that all three members of a team are able to coordinate if we are going to try and set up the Preserve/Reverse/Observe combo.

Also, whats the over-under on the number of times people are going to foul up those 3 very similar words? I've had to stop myself from type "Preverse" 3 times now and it's day 1.

• Options
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    100,000,000 - (A)
    480 BC -(A)
    330AD - (A)
    1492 - (A)
    1765 - (A)
    1789 - (A)
    1861 - (A)
    1939 - (A)
    1959 - (A)
    1977 - (A)

These are the starting states, correct? Will this be updated to current state each day?

• Options
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    100,000,000 - (A)
    480 BC -(A)
    330AD - (A)
    1492 - (A)
    1765 - (A)
    1789 - (A)
    1861 - (A)
    1939 - (A)
    1959 - (A)
    1977 - (A)

These are the starting states, correct? Will this be updated to current state each day?

Yes and Yes

• Options
    @SaberOverEasy what's the concern about consecutive missions?

• Options

Mine are:
    100 mil
    330 ad

What's your general activity time these days? I think it's going to be important that all three members of a team are able to coordinate if we are going to try and set up the Preserve/Reverse/Observe combo.

Also, whats the over-under on the number of times people are going to foul up those 3 very similar words? I've had to stop myself from type "Preverse" 3 times now and it's day 1.

I agree that coordinating actions is very useful. I think JPants is right on the ultimate actions, but I'm going to suggest a slightly different course of action for today, specifically.

The more I think about this game (and the more other people read the OP and find things that I miss!) the more this really seems like a game of Resistance in a Phalla wrapper. The most important thing for the village after day 1 is having some strong assurances that the people going out are villagers. We need to send everyone today, but for the next few days, we only need to send 9.

What I'd suggest for today is to have 2 people on each team observe, and the final can preserve/reverse as desired. At the very least, this should try to prevent mafia shenanigans with disruptions and such. It's a lot harder for the mafia to get two people onto a team than just one. And if they are the observing one, it's pretty easy to just say "Yup, everyone did it" while also disrupting the node.

After today, we can also limit our exposure by just not sending people to nodes.

• Options

The concern about consecutive timelines is that the mafia can freeze both of them, leaving us stuck. Right now, we can still change the state of a frozen node by creating/resolving anomalies from the previous node.

If the mafia freezes consecutive nodes, particularly if they freeze the second one in it's "non-natural" state, the entire village is stuck.

Which is also why 100Mil BC is such a dangerous node.

• Options

The concern about consecutive timelines is that the mafia can freeze both of them, leaving us stuck. Right now, we can still change the state of a frozen node by creating/resolving anomalies from the previous node.

If the mafia freezes consecutive nodes, particularly if they freeze the second one in it's "non-natural" state, the entire village is stuck.

Latching onto this, and I don't remember if you said it in your initial post, but we should also avoid sending people out to the same node 2 days in a row. It looks like the mafia needs two trips to a node to freeze (has to be disrupted first) it, so we can at least delay freezing of a single node that way.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    But I wanna ride my dinosaur. :(

OrokosPA.png
  • Options

I hadn't realized that as a way to fix Frozen nodes! Good call.

• Options
    PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular
    After catching up with the thread, cool. I get to travel through time! psychocucumber, 330 ad. I will do the reverse action, so if my teammates want to decide which of the other two they want, we can get this puppy started. I'll be holding off on the red vote for now.

• Options

Mine are:
    100 mil
    330 ad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the mafia know the natural states of all beacons, and all the villagers "personally pivotal" nodes have to be in their natural state (is that an assumption on my part?), then you just revealed the full information to the mafia.

• Options
    PsychoCucumberPsychoCucumber Registered User regular

Mine are:
    100 mil
    330 ad

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the mafia know the natural states of all beacons, and all the villagers "personally pivotal" nodes have to be in their natural state (is that an assumption on my part?), then you just revealed the full information to the mafia.

Individual win conditions are not only natural state. I want to say it's half natural, half not.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular

Latching onto this, and I don't remember if you said it in your initial post, but we should also avoid sending people out to the same node 2 days in a row. It looks like the mafia needs two trips to a node to freeze (has to be disrupted first) it, so we can at least delay freezing of a single node that way.

Where does it say a node needs to be disrupted to be frozen?

• Options
    Egos wrote: »

Where does it say a node needs to be disrupted to be frozen?

"Freeze works as a Disrupt if the node hasn't been disrupted yet, otherwise the node becomes Frozen and cannot be selected in future time trips. Frozen is the only action that may have a delayed effect, the mafia chooses 0-2 days for when the effect occurs."

• Options

Mine are:
    100 mil
    330 ad

Individual win conditions are not only natural state. I want to say it's half natural, half not.

Thanks! Just found the relevant part of the OP in case any was curious:
    Finally, Villagers have personal victory requirements. Each villager will have four node state requirements, of which they need to have at least half complete in order to win with the village. Some of these requirements will be Natural, some of them Recessive, however at least half will be Natural (a village alternate win guarantees all village win). During the game, things may become dangerous for a player if half of their personal objectives are incomplete. Mafia only care about the mafia winning

• Options
    This makes me more skeptical of Phyphor's plan.

• Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular

I hadn't realized that as a way to fix Frozen nodes! Good call.

Am I missing something here? Disruption and anomaly are different?

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    What I'd suggest for today is to have 2 people on each team observe, and the final can preserve/reverse as desired. At the very least, this should try to prevent mafia shenanigans with disruptions and such. It's a lot harder for the mafia to get two people onto a team than just one. And if they are the observing one, it's pretty easy to just say "Yup, everyone did it" while also disrupting the node.

This doesn't provide any information about what that node *should* be. Also, if the node gets set correctly does it really matter if it gets disrupted?

If a team member uses disrupt as their action, and the other team members use Reverse, does the node flip before freezing? It says all actions happen at once but that seems to be a conflict in this specific case.