As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mueller Thread] Special Counsel investigation, Russian election interference, collusion

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Heartlash wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    At this point I must must MUST assume top brass are having private discussions about Pence replacing this guy.

It simply isn't possible that Cold War hawks are not completely and utterly freaking the fuck out over this.

I'm freaking the fuck out, and I was a kid when the Berlin Wall came down. I can't imagine being my dad's age in a senior government position and seeing this.

I would assume they are iron clad in their silent resolve to prevent any of this rhetorical horror show from affecting concrete policy.

To be honest, they've been relatively successful. While all the rhetoric from Trump has been capitulating to Russian interests, the DoD still appears to be behaving in a manner that treats them very adversarial. Jim Mattis's NDS highlights them specifically as a primary threat, and he has continued to tour NATO countries with relatively strong messages of support. AFAIK, it's been almost two years and there haven't been any troop drawdowns in Europe, and the US bombed Russians several times (probably intentionally) in Syria.

EDIT: Realizing this isn't really the right thread for this.

To tie the above to the Mueller investigation, these actions are more consistent with Trump being bizarrely pro-Russia in an individualized political manner. Like, everything I'm seeing is consistent with that, and not any level of institutional takeover within the Government (or even just the Executive).

Yeah I think it helps that Trump doesn't actually know how to order the DoD to do stuff, and no one will help him figure that out.

Its only when the DoD itself wants to do something that they draw up the orders and have Trump sign it for them. Its a regency for a toddler king.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Politico has the Government's exhibit list in the Manafort trial. 436 items.

https://www.politico.com/f/?id=00000164-b049-d929-a5e4-b2f9d8e80000

That is a lot of photographs, bank records, and documentation. Manafort doesn’t have a prayer.

Lol there are landscaping invoices. Dude can't even get his lawn cut without getting Russia to pay for it.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »

That is a lot of photographs, bank records, and documentation. Manafort doesn’t have a prayer.

Lol there are landscaping invoices. Dude can't even get his lawn cut without getting Russia to pay for it.

Russia directly paid or paid by proxy through a Ukrainian intermediary for like the last decade and a half of his life.

• Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »

His chances seem to rest entirely on finding a dozen people without an ardent Trump supporter in it.

This is my fear. The equally obviously guilty Melheur fuckheads got off

That was less widely political and there were some strong signs that the prosecutor acted like his case was so good he didn't really have to convince anybody. I think even the folks on that jury who were voting not guilty said they would have voted for all of the lesser charges if given the option but they weren't.

This is something of a side-discussion, but I think you're conflating two different things. What you're referring to is the actual Malheur standoff perpetrators, who mostly were not convicted (those that did not plead guilty), because as you say the government botched the case in various ways including possibly over-charging. The people Trump pardoned were the arsonists whose trial and jailing incited the Bundys to actually perpetrate the Malheur standoff. The arsonists actually turned themselves in and served most (all?) of their sentences, IIRC. Hence a pardon and not a commutation.

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

His chances seem to rest entirely on finding a dozen people without an ardent Trump supporter in it.

This is my fear. The equally obviously guilty Melheur fuckheads got off

That was less widely political and there were some strong signs that the prosecutor acted like his case was so good he didn't really have to convince anybody. I think even the folks on that jury who were voting not guilty said they would have voted for all of the lesser charges if given the option but they weren't.

This is something of a side-discussion, but I think you're conflating two different things. What you're referring to is the actual Malheur standoff perpetrators, who mostly were not convicted (those that did not plead guilty), because as you say the government botched the case in various ways including possibly over-charging. The people Trump pardoned were the arsonists whose trial and jailing incited the Bundys to actually perpetrate the Malheur standoff. The arsonists actually turned themselves in and served most (all?) of their sentences, IIRC. Hence a pardon and not a commutation.

Vish might feel different but I was very much talking about the idiots who took over the refuge and not about pardons at all.

Manafort might get pardoned if we get a Saturday Night Massacre style of thing where Trump just says "fuck it!" about the Russia angle but that very much feels like an "Earlier the better" style of thing. If he goes to trial this really looks like he needs that one in twelve super partisan GOP-er to not be convicted.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    Oh whoops, I see now, it was me who was conflating pardon talk with the Malhuer trial. My bad, please ignore ...

Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The loan documents list is something in and of itself - 369A-through-Q.

That's a lot of laundry.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The director of DHS is saying she "hasn't seen evidence" of Russia's interference favoring Trump. Hey Kirstjen, I have a piece of evidence; he's in office right now. I'm not surprised she's saying this now. She recently hit the stage as one of Trump's latest stans, particularly over the immigration stuff (she was denying then defending the kidnapping).

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Washington Post reporter:

That makes no sense.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

That makes no sense.

It’s a simple mistake, she just meant to say “voting D”

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    They want the help. It's pretty obvious.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

That makes no sense.

They want Russians to vote, they don't want black people to vote.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    SyphonBlue was warned for this.
    Speaking of the Manafort list of evidence

Bogart on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

TBH I have little doubt that if you really want to keep pulling the thread hard enough, the whole fucking sweater will unravel.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    that seems odd

was that known?

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Would it be too much to ask people to see where that goes before running wild on speculation (and starting another 2016 argument)?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Could be Ted Devine

All we have is literally T. Devine

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018

I feel like this is a bit disingenuous. Tad Devine also did the Dukakis, Carter, and Gore campaigns. If the goal is to paint Bernie as a Russian plant, then I guess Al Gore is too. And John Kerry.

Let’s remember that Russia wants a divided Democratic Party.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I would like a statement from Bernie and/or T. Devine on this, like, now.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I would like a statement from Bernie and/or T. Devine on this, like, now.

Which T. Devine, there are a fair number of them...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Could be Ted Devine

Devine worked for Manafort prior to joining Sanders' campsign, and if you look at the timestamps, the messages are clearly from his time at Manafort's firm.

So really the only question for right now is "why would you hire a Manafort flunky?", which has the answer of "well, he's done strategic work for other Democratic campaigns."

Edit: Right now Devine's sin is purely poor judgment in employers, which is something we've been at before ourselves.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    They want the help. It's pretty obvious.

Especially Jordan, who is probably sweating his re-election chances at the moment.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Could be Ted Devine

Devine worked for Manafort prior to joining Sanders' campsign, and if you look at the timestamps, the messages are clearly from his time at Manafort's firm.

So really the only question for right now is "why would you hire a Manafort flunky?", which has the answer of "well, he's done strategic work for other Democratic campaigns."

It could be completely above board, I don't know, but a statement from Bernie at least would be wise.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Well, it's not anything that could be used to smear Bernie, it's just a bunch of emails and memos and invoices
    5 2006.01.03 Memo P. Manafort, T. Devine, V. Yanukovych, et al re Messages for January Next Wave of Television and Radio Ads
    6 Devine Mulvey Longabaugh Invoices to Davis Manafort (2010, 2014)
    7 2010.02.03 Email T. Devine to P. Manafort re Election Night Speech
    8 2010.02.15 Email T. Devine to P. Manafort, et al re Job Well Done
    9 2010.02.16 Email T. Devine to P. Manafort re FYI
    10 2010.08.12 Memo P. Manafort to V. Yanukovych et al re Media Strategy
    11 2010.09.01 Email T. Devine to P. Manafort, R. Gates, et al re Talking Points
    12 2011.09.20 Email Chain D. Rabin, J. Mulvey, P. Manafort, R. Gates, K. Kilimnik, T. Devine, et al re Ukraine - First Draft
    13 2012.04 Email Chain T. Devine, R. Gates, P. Manafort, et al re Ukraine
    14 2012.08.06 Email T. Devine to P. Manafort re Memo
    15 2014.03.31 Email T. Devine to R. Gates, et al re Call - Important
    16 2014.03.31 Email T. Devine to R. Gates, et al re Draft Proposal
    17 2014.06.09 Email T. Devine to R. Gates, et al re Kyiv
    18 2014.06.14 Email T. Devine to K. Kilimnik, R. Gates, et al re Ukraine Trip
    19 2014.06.19 Email T. Devine to K. Kilimnik re Can u resend the talking point

And the only ones that really might be interesting are the last 5 that are from 2014, where he's communicating with Kilimnik and Gates who were also already indicted, and even then only through June. Devine didn't join Bernie's campaign until November.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Could be Ted Devine

Reading about Manafort, its clear that he and his guys had their hands in getting the Democratic party to play the lobbyist money game too.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/03/paul-manafort-american-hustler/550925/
    In 1984, the firm reached across the aisle. It made a partner of Peter Kelly, a former finance chairman of the Democratic National Committee, who had earned the loyalty of lawmakers by raising millions for their campaigns. Some members of the firm worked for Democratic Senate candidates in Louisiana, Vermont, and Florida, even as operatives down the hall worked for their Republican foes. “People said, ‘It’s un-American,’ ” Kelly told me. “ ‘They can’t lose. They have both sides.’ I kept saying, ‘How is it un-American to win?’ ” This sense of invincibility permeated the lobbying operation too. When Congress passed tax-reform legislation in 1986, the firm managed to get one special rule inserted that saved Chrysler-Mitsubishi $58 million; it wrangled another clause that reaped Johnson & Johnson $38 million in savings. Newsweek pronounced the firm “the hottest shop in town.”

Manafort and his friends have been playing the political money game on both sides for a long time. Its just that recently Manafort went all in on being a Russian stooge.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Well, it's not anything that could be used to smear Bernie, it's just a bunch of emails and memos and invoices
    5 2006.01.03 Memo P. Manafort, T. Devine, V. Yanukovych, et al re Messages for January Next Wave of Television and Radio Ads
    12 2011.09.20 Email Chain D. Rabin, J. Mulvey, P. Manafort, R. Gates, K. Kilimnik, T. Devine, et al re Ukraine - First Draft

And the only ones that really might be interesting are the last 5 that are from 2014, where he's communicating with Kilimnik and Gates who were also already indicted, and even then only through June. Devine didn't join Bernie's campaign until November.

It just begs the question, why would Bernie hire a guy who's in bed with people like Manafort and Kimlinik?

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

It just begs the question, why would Bernie hire a guy who's in bed with people like Manafort and Kimlinik?

1) Clinton got all the best staff early because she had the money and was the overwhelming favorite.
    2) Most Democratic staffers view(ed?) Bernie as a crank so his choices were even more limited on top of that.

• Options

I'm not sure, but if someone can convince Trump and the GOP that Mueller's investigation is about to go after Sanders, Clinton, and the Democrats I imagine they'll get a whole lot more funding and a whole lot less oversight.

• Options

Good question. Why would Al Gore and John Kerry?

• Options

Did I travel through time and suddenly 2000 and 2004 came after 2016?

And if he WAS in bed with Manafort and Kimlinik before 2004, then that's a great question to ask of Gore and Kerry, too!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Because the Democratic party isn't innocent in taking lobbyist money.

There is a difference between being a dirty corporate lobbyist and a Russian intelligence asset. Devine is just the former it seems so far, while Manafort turned himself into the latter.

Jephery on
    }
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Like Cog said, a lot of these threads weave back through decades. You tap into someone with a fair amount of experience and suddenly there’s a list of potentially innocuous people wrapped up in the web.

• Options
    If Devine does turn out to be wrapped up in all this, AND dirty, then the reaction will be... unpleasant.

• Options
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Could be Ted Devine

Edit: Right now Devine's sin is purely poor judgment in employers, which is something we've been at before ourselves.

It's... not a good look though, and it would behoove Bernie immeasurably to make a statement about this.

e- I'll clarify- I don't THINK Bernie is involved in this directly, but after everything else that's happened, I'll be damned if this doesn't raise an eyebrow

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Could be Ted Devine

He certainly seems to know how to pick a loser. His list of campaigns is like a Who's Who of also-rans and failures. And Carter *ahem*

• Options
    We’ve got elected Republican officials actively covering for ongoing Russian interference, a President clearly in bed with them, and an investigation zeroing in on the campaign officials of said President, and the left is angry at Bernie for hiring a guy other Democrats have also hired for decades

May be the most Democrat thing ever

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2018
    Oh my fucking GOD could you guys take off the deerstalker and stop playing detective based off what is so far a tweet from some guy?

Source your tweets. Explain who they are and why anyone should give a shit.

And after that resist the urge to take out the cork board and red twine and your in depth theory about how this is all the work of PEPE SILVA.

Bogart on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Could be Ted Devine

It's... not a good look though, and it would behoove Bernie immeasurably to make a statement about this.

e- I'll clarify- I don't THINK Bernie is involved in this directly, but after everything else that's happened, I'll be damned if this doesn't raise an eyebrow

I don't think there's a point to doing that now. The trial is going to be mostly showing inputs and outputs of money, and I don't think there's any need for Ted Devinel to be involved any more than his landscapers. (It might be a good idea for Sanders to have a statement written up just in case, but hold on to it until the actual media starts talking about Sanders.)

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    We’ve got elected Republican officials actively covering for ongoing Russian interference, a President clearly in bed with them, and an investigation zeroing in on the campaign officials of said President, and the left is angry at Bernie for hiring a guy other Democrats have also hired for decades

May be the most Democrat thing ever

No one here is even attacking Bernie for this. Stop being a silly goose and being defensive over nothing.

This discussion has been closed.