As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NSFDATA] Look at my dog, and other people's dogs, and their cats and stuff [pets]

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    When my brothers dog lived here she would walk under Lola who often will just stand wherever and not move.
    Neither of them thought this was odd . this.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    So ummm we were at the dog park the other day and as usual, we watched Bodhi like a hawk. I am slowly getting better at reading his and other dogs’ body language so I’m intervening earlier, as needed, cuz our dog is a bit too excited when he sees commotion (two dogs will be playing happily but then this big dumb idiot will insert himself into the game uninvited and inevitably take things too far and miss all of the other dogs’ cues for him to back off).

Anyway. He was playing nicely with another dog roughly his size (we’ll call him Simmo), play bowing and everything, and it was all very appropriate. I was very proud. They got disrupted by a third dog, though, and before Bodhi could get too snappy at that third dog, we withdrew him. He goes off and sniffs on his own, has a run, etc, all fine.

Bodhi is eventually standing next to Simmo. Blake and I are about six meters or so away, with a few other dogs milling about between them and us. They’re not interacting - Bodhi is sniffing something and Simmo is, weirdly, looking right at me. I thought it was kinda weird cuz I wasn’t doing anything, so I just went back to watching Bodhi.

At some stage I notice that Simmo has run up to me. I turn to greet him and he does a little hop to get his head up closer to mine. I think it’s super cute but don’t want to encourage it, so I do take half a step back.

Bodhi appears out of nowhere right as Simmo lands and mouths his neck. Simmo yelps, Blake grabs Bodhi, and Simmo withdraws to his owner. His owner gives Simmo a pat, rubs his neck and just says “awww you’re all right, it’s okay”. He doesn’t really say anything to us, so clearly no damage was done.

We more or less took Bodhi straight home after that.

Right now, I can’t figure out why Bodhi did that. He does have a problem with play manners and will often not let other dogs up when they’ve yielded (or, if he’s mouthing them as part of the yield, not release them). But he and Simmo weren’t interacting at the time and I thought he quite liked Simmo from the way he played with him so appropriately earlier.

The only thing I can figure is that maybe Bodhi thought Simmo was having a go at me? He’s not usually that protective, though... the only other time he ever gave a hoot about my safety was when I was accidentally barreled into by his super-excited greyhound friend, and I was pregnant at the time so I thought Bodhi was being protective for that reason, and even then all he did was bark loudly, not nip or mouth. And I’m definitely not pregnant right now. I’ve also had other dogs come at me in that park and Bodhi hasn’t really cared, though to be fair he’s usually further away.

But like in terms of socializing him better... could this also be an indicator that he just needs to be muzzled when off lead?

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    I wouldn't worry about it, sounds like Bodhi thought he was misbehaving and just gave him a corrective nip. If no one gets hurt then no biggie.

Growls and nips can be kind of scary, but they're just warnings, not aggressive. If a dog gets punished for giving warnings then they might learn to skip the warning and go straight for aggression. Often it's best to let dogs establish their own boundaries and settle their own problems.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah I wouldn't be too concerned right now. There was probably an element of protectiveness to it, but mouthing in that situation is still generally just a friendly "haha, but seriously" from him, and Simmo's reaction was probably because he was startled more than anything.

I reckon keep an eye on it, but lean more toward deflective correction rather than restriction if it's possible.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah I wouldn't worry about it. Gaston's done the same thing to dogs who are taking things too far, if it were meant as actual aggression it would probably kill them. It's just a "hey buddy, that's enough"

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks! Always handy to have a sounding board for this stuff.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2019
    Ziggy post-bath. Five months old and already as tall as the Usch!

DzAVBNVUYAE_UIy.jpg

@Raijin Quickfoot

tynic on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    that's a big dog
    I assume

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Eh, he's about a medium
    bo4c8t32wv22.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Ziggy post-bath. Five months old and already as tall as the Usch!

DzAVBNVUYAE_UIy.jpg

@Raijin Quickfoot

MY HEEEEEEART

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    glvop0idja9s.jpg

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    bird

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    birb

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Brib

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My sister and her boyfriend adopted a 3 month old puppy.
    g1tud4y3ui49.jpg
    He is named Steveie Nix.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Ollie's being a comfy boy.

THu8uFvl.jpg

• Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Two week update. Hand for scale.vgpmxmjq8p32.jpg

• Options
    bird
    birb
    Brib

hirb is the wurb

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    xh5eiurelyk6.jpg

My weiner is getting fatter

• Options
    hmm

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    This is a PG13 forum.

(It's a cute weiner though)

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I had a bit of a fucking nightmare last week when I left for my holiday.

I'm always nervous leaving Haechi with someone knew and I guess I ought to have gone with my gut - my friend who volunteered to watch him doesn't have a dog herself, although she likes dogs (claims to like dogs) and has met Haechi several times. She's an adult holding down a job like an adult, right?

Ugh.

Literally I do the hand-off at around 8 a.m. She stayed the night the night before and I walked him and fed him in the morning and left town. I have a two-page set of instructions for house/dogsitters - one page is helpful tips for the house (how to use the PS4, where things are kept, what to do in the rare instance that the breaker gets tripped, etc) and one is Haechi instructions (where his food is, the vet's number, basic commands). My dog, to be clear, is almost universally declared by other dogsitters to be the easiest dog around. His primary goals in life are 1) sleep where you are, 2) eat food, 3) look at my toy. His needs are basically only water, food, gentle affection and being allowed to use the bathroom at regular intervals.

After I leave I get nonstop messages from her. "He was banging on the bedroom door so I let him in." Yes, okay, I told you that would happen, he's used to being able to sleep with people. "He knows how to walk home, right? He took me on a long walk." Well, he's a dog, so he's gonna walk wherever tf he wants. You're the human, which means YOU need to be the walk boss. "He's panting but he won't drink water." He's a dog, he'll drink when he wants, he knows where his water is. "He pees a lot." ??? HE'S A DOG. "When do you get home?" A week from today in the afternoon. "Does a power trip happen often at your place?" Not really. "I think I'm itchy on the beds and the couch. I think I'm allergic to dogs." Well, that's a problem, you said you liked dogs. "I don't know why he's barking now." This one was sent twice.

My dog barks VERY VERY RARELY. He barks when someone rings the doorbell/is at the door - which I'm fine with - and if a toy has gotten stuck somewhere he can't reach it, which is annoying, but kind of understandable and pretty obvious.

At this point I called her and was like, "Is he barking at the couch?"

"I don't know, let me check." [Translation: I haven't bothered to look at where he is or what he's doing.] "Yes."

"He probably lost his ball under the couch, is there a toy under it?"

"Yes."

Well, glad we solved that mystery. "Do you need me to find someone else who can take care of him?"

"If you can. I barely slept last night because I was itchy."

So at this point I'm 1) incandescently angry and frustrated 2) not having a relaxing vacation at all and I'm only on 24 hours away from home and 3) not at all trusting my dog's welfare to her hands for the rest of the week.

Now, I typically have four sets of people on-hand who are my reliable dogsitters - but since it was a long public holiday, two of those couples were also out of town, and a third was watching the family cat in their studio apartment. Haechi likes cats but cats tend to feel like strange dogs can fuck right off so that option was bad. The fourth couple has a six-month-old and their own dog so it's kind of a big ask, which is why I hadn't bothered them originally. But FUCK THIS. So I reach out to them and of course they're like "we can absolutely take Haechi, we love seeing him, it's not a problem, we're both home all week, Dottie [their dog] will be super happy."

At this point my "friend" - ahem - has followed her statement up with "I think it's okay, I don't want to trouble your friends," but lol nope, it's too late for you. I don't care that you don't want to trouble them, I no longer believe you are capable of taking care of a living creature responsibly. Also, I can't possibly survive and have a relaxing holiday while I get a minute-by-minute play-by-play of every single thing my dog does or that happens in my apartment while I'm gone, because I will lose my mind with stress. So my actual responsible adult friend with a six-month-old comes to pick up Haechi, and packs all of his stuff up even though I'd asked her to get his food, toys, bowl etc together.

In other news, that's why you should never trust anyone ever who hasn't been vetted extensively via personal pet ownership themselves, and also how do I tell this woman we're no longer friends?
    As a fun bonus, she also asked me at one point how to use the oven in my apartment. "I'm unsure how to heat the food, I had it at [the bake at 250] setting for two minutes and my food is still not warm." Well, it's an oven. Not a microwave. So I don't know what to tell you.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Oh jeez, I got stressed just reading that.

I sure hope it was a little more smooth sailing after all that.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Yeah man! My friends who I didn't want to bother due to them having an inordinate amount of feces-not-their-own already in their lives are great and incredibly trustworthy and have watched Haechi many times in the past! Barely heard a peep all week, except Haechi was being a bit weird about his food. I think he doesn't like the new stuff I picked up and mixed with his regular stuff.

Also, Haechi, intimidated by babies:

SO4naFtl.jpg

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I yet again thank any gods that exist that I live near my parents and we can drop Reo and Enzo off with them if we're going on vacation, and any vacation where both they and we are off at the same time probably means we're going to the lake and bringing the boys.

This year the lake makeup will likely be 6 humans and 4 dogs, two of them under 2, and I am excited and also terrified.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Like.

I feel the oven thing is the best indicator. This person can't be trusted to just figure shit out themselves.

• Options
    Yeah. Well that was after my friend had picked Haechi up, but yeah. STRONG AGREE.

I don't really even want to meet her to pick up my spare keys because I don't know how I can do it without shrieking I TRUSTED YOU WITH MY DEAREST THING TO MY HEART AND YOU FUCKED IT UP.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Yeah. Well that was after my friend had picked Haechi up, but yeah. STRONG AGREE.

I don't really even want to meet her to pick up my spare keys because I don't know how I can do it without shrieking I TRUSTED YOU WITH MY DEAREST THING TO MY HEART AND YOU FUCKED IT UP.

Here lies a person who never had to do anything for themself before.

[Edit] For maximum clarity, I'm referring to the person you are aquainted with, not you.

pimento on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular

At this point I would just get new locks.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    We got our cats back!

2019-02-14%2021.58.39.jpg

Since it’s been over a year since I last mentioned our cats, here’s the story:

7.5 years ago, @Moriveth and I decided to adopt cats. We were looking for an adult pair; adults because we know adult cats are harder to adopt out and usually already trained, and two of them so they’d have company when we’re at work. We went to an adoption event and there were some beautiful and friendly cats, but the lady running the event, seeing that we seemed like agreeable people, begged us to consider Sugar and Shara. She said they’d been looking for a home for three years, and that Sugar had had a failed adoption already (she just pined after her sister). Of course we had to adopt them.

Sugar is a very pretty medium-hair cat. She’s a classic cat; makes cat loaves, slightly aloof, only permits petting at certain times, rules you like the queen she is. For all of her bravado, though, she’s very much a scaredy-cat; she hid for two straight weeks when we adopted her, and took forever to come out during the day or eat in our presence.

Shara is more friendly and approachable, but oh, Shara. She’s not quite all there (and her eyes point in different directions). Her fur is scraggy. She wants to cuddle but she doesn’t stay still on your lap; she shifts and moves around, her claws sticking into your thighs as she walks, until even the most patient person pushes her off in frustration. She cleans herself really noisily. Mori discovered she was in Anya’s room just now because of Shara gnawing on her butthole. Poor Shara was never going to appeal as an adoptable cat.

We lived with the cats for two years, then we moved in with Mori’s parents. Mori’s parents were really weird about the cats. First it was the cats had to stay in our bedroom; then it was the cats had to be in the garage, then the cats had to be outdoors only. I felt terrible about all of that; they have been indoor cats all their lives. Eventually we all planned to move state together and his parents said: the cats have to go, NOW.

By this time we’d had the cats 6 years and there was no chance we were going to find new homes for elderly, unappealing cats at such short notice. It was extremely stressful and we put out pleas everywhere. Eventually an ex-forumer said they were willing to foster the cats short-term, but they couldn’t afford it. I said give us a year maximum, and I would pay for supplies/food/litter.

I know they’re not the easiest cats to live with - and Shara proved especially trying - so our friend really did us a huge favor. And I stuck to my word and 8 months later we had our own house and were willing to take the cats back. First our friend was busy, then it was Christmas, then we got snowed in... but finally the cats are back with us!

Sugar has been exploring already, which is great! She’s even let the kids pet her today. She’s the cat loaf on the bed in the photo.

And our understairs closet so far works well as a cat den. :D

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Welcome home kitties!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Aww. Nice work unnamed internet person.

I'm glad you have them back now Janson!

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Been a while since I posted about my cats.

Vivi (black, Bombay, I think) is very much my cat. After seeing a quick youtube video where some cat is staring up at their owner, and meows, and the lady in the video goes "Yaass?" I taught Vivi to respond the same way. She meows, I say "yaass?", she meows, I say it again. Then she hops up on the dining table and gives me that "Feed me bacon, human peasant, while I meow incessantly at you," and I just nuzzle her head in my hands and she accepts that and purrs.

But lately, 5AM feed time rolls around, and she is a loud cat. She was never this verbal before, and I think it's because she's learning from her younger sister.

Moogle (grey, American shorthair) is my partner's cat. She was an adoption that came 6 months after we got Vivi, and we got her freshly weaned off her mother. She chirps at my partner and is very much his cat. About a year ago, we noticed her fur getting thinner around her legs and especially her tail. She looks like a little grey lion now, because her tail is almost devoid of fur, except for this tuft at the tip of it, and her leg fur tapers off until it gets to her paws. We thought she might be experiencing neurosis from being weaned off her mother too soon, or maybe she was having allergic reactions to things in our house, so we changed detergent, used non-scented litter, everything.

Eventually, the vet gave us some medication, and for about 2 weeks, we could give her half a pill in a little pocket treat, and she accepted that, though the vet advised that the medicine tastes very bitter. One night, she wouldn't eat the treat, and she dug out the pill from inside, spat it out, and then ate the treat. So we tried crushing it up, which made it worse because now it's a very bitter dust being put into wet food that she loves, but it makes it taste awful, and she wouldn't go for it. We tried to coat the pill in some chicken-flavoured toothpaste and she licks the toothpaste, but won't eat the pill. This cat is too smart for her own good.

Apparently next week, we're going to try an ointment that can be rubbed into her ears and it has the same effect as the pill. She already loves her ears being rubbed, so this might be the best option, but we'll see how long it lasts.

Meanwhile, we also bought a bubble gun, and I really need to take a video of Moogle going crazy when she sees bubbles floating in the air. The noises she makes, it's all so cute!

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    edited February 2019
    Pilling cats can be really shitty. My family's old cat needed regular pills for something or other in his twilight years, he learned all the treat tricks, and we ended up having to do it the hard way, forcing his mouth open, shoving it into the back of his throat and holding his mouth closed until he swallowed it. It really traumatized him, he got less friendly and more distrustful of us over time. I don't recommend that technique if you can afford to medicate them any other way.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Tonight and through the weekend Luna, the pint-sized, radar-eared mutt puppy lady will be introduced to my sister's mostly full grown husky man. This could get interesting and I promise static and motion pictures in this thread

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    So something we do with our dogs is make them sit and wait after we put down food, until we give them the command to go. With Enzo we've shortened the wait times to only 10 seconds or so since he's old and blind, but with Reo we're doing pretty long ones, and since we discovered he's very trainable we're doing more complicated ones like both of us leaving the room and doing other stuff because he's starting to actually learn a really proper "stay."

What this means is that most of the time, Enzo gets to eat while Reo is waiting (partially this is also to reinforce that Enzo's the dog-in-charge), resulting in many sad puppy eyes. Folks, I present to you: the saddest dog of all time.

5hr0c8nel009.jpg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm throwing my dinner at my monitor, and it's not helping!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I apologize for cackling like madman. I've had a beverage or two this evening

https://youtu.be/Lp2H4dmLEcE

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I had a bit of a fucking nightmare last week when I left for my holiday.

Sounds like you should have left a couple of pages of instructions for the dog on how to look after her.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Me and a Keeshond puppy named Lacy from some neighbors of ours! Who are two Americans living in Newcastle. My wife and I are also two Americans with a Keeshond in Newcastle... people have started asking if its a requirement or a common breed in the US because the coincidence just seems so weird

Lacy is so soooooft guys

rrvd9rfiadd3.jpg