As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NSFDATA] Look at my dog, and other people's dogs, and their cats and stuff [pets]

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Can confirm, a stage one derp is starting.

• Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Shara comes when called for cuddles and head scratches. She really is the perfect companion for just chilling on the sofa.

She sat on Niko’s lap for a half hour this morning. He was very good and didn’t touch her except to give her chin scratches (Shara is a chin-scratch cat; Sugar likes top of the head scratches).

Anya asked me to send her the photos; I did so and she sent them back with these edits:

2019-03-09%2011.07.07.jpg

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Niko, Monarch of the Sea. All hail.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    My dog has claimed the covers on my bed as his when I am not using them
    1cbgiafmmn7c.png

He sleeps on his back I feel to take the pressure off his spine
    8xkzpngtrxme.png

7np8dm0suxhi.png

pictured is my brother's dachshund the brown one

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    Everyone, meet Rico!

mhk2riyz3n1m.jpeg

We just brought him home about an hour or so ago and he’s all tuckered our from exploring and playing with his new toys. He’s a pretty chill dog so far. This is gonna be a lot of fun.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I'm jealous that he fell asleep so quickly! Alma as a puppy was a constantly must stay awake because of FOMO terror beast.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    He’d already been in the car for five hours by the time we picked him up. He was probably already exhausted.

We just brought him back inside after a half an hour outside. He’s sleeping again.

And we’ve already had to clean up after him too. I think we’ll know his signals next time.

Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Boys are apparently more difficult to house train wrt pee, ours always learned slower than the girls. But this probably also depends on the breed.

Doesn't help that Uschi thinks actively moving for any ablution activity is too much effort. His "i'm about to pee" signal is just gently arching his back, so we had to keep a laser focus on him for the first few weeks, particularly since he decided carpets == pee pads.

At one point during a growth spurt his physiology was such that he'd occasionally piss on his own chest.

tynic on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Yeah, but who hasn't?

• Options
    anyone with working opposable thumbs has no excuse.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    You don't know The Struggle nic.

Bodhi since he is so high up will often pee on his front paws.

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    One of the poodles (poodle the elder) would back up to a small bush or shrub to drop his grogans when out and about. I never figured out why, and he didn't do it at home, but it was nice that he wouldn't just leave them in the path or on the sports ground that we'd run at. The other one would just drop them wherever and start moving off before he finished, which was considerably less convenient.

On the flip side, when poodle the younger was peeing, the elder would be getting his nose dangerously close to the stream before immediately peeing over the same spot. So that was always a bit fraught.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    So, my cat, Vivi, has never really been a lap cat. We got her as a rescue, and she was probably about 1.5 years old at the time (according to the shelter) and we have no idea what her history was like. She became very attached to me though because I would spend more time with her than Mr. Fantastico. However, it's been about 2.5 years now, and she simply does not like resting on top of a body part, but a nearby pillow or just in arms reach for scritches is fine.

This afternoon though, just before we went to see Captain Marvel, I laid down with her on the bed and sprawled out, and she got up and laid down directly on top of my arm. I managed to get a picture of it, and I hope this is a sign that she might be getting comfortable with laying on me? Or it was a dominant play, and she's just being a brat. I'm choosing the former.

EDIT: Picture!

i6arazmx9eqa.jpg

El Fantastico on
    PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    tynic wrote: »
    Boys are apparently more difficult to house train wrt pee, ours always learned slower than the girls. But this probably also depends on the breed.

Doesn't help that Uschi thinks actively moving for any ablution activity is too much effort. His "i'm about to pee" signal is just gently arching his back, so we had to keep a laser focus on him for the first few weeks, particularly since he decided carpets == pee pads.

At one point during a growth spurt his physiology was such that he'd occasionally piss on his own chest.

No idea about a gender bias in housebreaking; Haechi literally was housebroken within a week of coming home as a teeny scrap dog (around 8 weeks we figure, since he stayed with the vet for ten days after we found him). And to this day (he's nine now) he's only had an accident inside twice (due to being home alone and not being able to hold it any longer).

Haechi's bizarre thing is pooping uphill/into/onto bushes and trees. Like, 'find tree trunk, apply butthole' close. I don't understand. I will never understand, as his woe-filled, full-eye-contact stare assures me while he shits.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    The great thing about retired greys is that they're often already technically housebroken when they arrive.

Most issues we've had with our fosters peeing in the house have been mainly from UTIs or nervousness.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Haechi's bizarre thing is pooping uphill/into/onto bushes and trees. Like, 'find tree trunk, apply butthole' close. I don't understand. I will never understand, as his woe-filled, full-eye-contact stare assures me while he shits.

My last dog would do this. He would find a bush and then reversing truck his butt as high as he could get it. It was really weird when he was successful because there would just be a poop log right on top of a bush or shrub.

I've heard speculation its part of their instinct to hide their leavings and some dogs get it stronger than others.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Y8FQz1g.jpg

Edit: meant to upload the cropped version

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    1lhttk0no19q.jpg

Five year old photo of Ruby (top) and Molly (bottom, passed away last year)

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular

My last dog would do this. He would find a bush and then reversing truck his butt as high as he could get it. It was really weird when he was successful because there would just be a poop log right on top of a bush or shrub.

I've heard speculation its part of their instinct to hide their leavings and some dogs get it stronger than others.

Darcy will always find a bush or, worst case scenario, the longest bit of grass in the area to poop on.

That's the first reasoning I've heard that actually make a bit of sense.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    "I'll hide my poop HERE, on the trunk of this tree, right at eye level for other dogs" doesn't make much sense but then, Haechi's no genius...

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    "I'll hide my poop HERE, on the trunk of this tree, right at eye level for other dogs" doesn't make much sense but then, Haechi's no genius...

It doesn't make sense if hiding it were actually the intention there...

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    shit and piss are the online dating app of the dog world

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    My wife put my cat on my lap about 20 minutes ago but now I need to go to the bathroom. Help.

938nH0A.jpg

Kaplar on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    At one point, I could slide up the couch so as to minimally disturb the cat; she'd wake up and look at me, but decide she was still comfy and stay there.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Kaplar wrote: »
    My wife put my cat on my lap about 20 minutes ago but now I need to go to the bathroom. Help.

938nH0A.jpg
    Whats the problem?

512y1utmh79f.jpeg

Blake T on
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Kaplar wrote: »

938nH0A.jpg

zfzmuo4yfih5.jpg

• Options
    chromdom wrote: »
    At one point, I could slide up the couch so as to minimally disturb the cat; she'd wake up and look at me, but decide she was still comfy and stay there.

I was almost fully reclined so there was no chance of sliding. I just got up bowlegged and the blanket flipped over her. She seemed cool with it.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    See, I'm immune to that cat-lap nonsense. Those fur monsters get on my lap, I stand up and let gravity take over.

Does that make me a monster? Probably. But at least I won't die from being unable to move!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    my cats and I have an understanding

they can come and snugg with me on the bed, but when I brush them aside they move over and sleep on the side of my bed that I stocked with pillows for them to sleep between

when it's just me in the house, like, over the night, I get all 3 of those adorable jerks in my bed because they don't know where everybody else is and it's upsetting to them

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I just aggressively snuggle the cat to the point where they get uncomfortable and leave of their own accord.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    if they didn't want me to smoosh my face into their fuzzy tummies they shouldn't have tried to steal my breath

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My cat goes through phases of never wanting to be touched and then phases of never wanting to not be on my lap. She's weird.

• Options
    She's been a little under the weather lately. Trying to make sure she's as comfortable as she can be.

• Options
    We heard back from the vet on Wednesday; they have not yet managed to find a companion for the blind kitten. Hopefully soon!

Here’s Shara being a satisfied lapcat, though!

2019-03-17%2022.29.31.jpg

Also we got the cats a running water drinking fountain (shown in the bottom photo, it’s cute!) as I feel like I don’t see them drinking often enough. They do pee regularly, so no worries there, but I thought they might like it better anyway! So far they are... a little scared of it. Hmm.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    You have to entice them a bit. Grab a straw and get drinking

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    try separating their food and water.

hypothesis goes that cats are wary of contaminated water, and nonmoving water is more prone to stagnation and befoulment -- so, the smell of food might discourage them from drinking water close to it or other strong smells, even if the water's otherwise fresh. and they also just might find it unpleasant to drink water that 'tastes' like food. stainless steel is pretty great, but you might try glass bowls in case they dislike that flavor (if i can taste a difference between water from glass vs steel, they must.) ideally have a couple bowls around the house to up the chances of them drinking more often.

try putting some ice cubes in the water! one of mine will occasionally drink from their fountain, but all three will show interest in it and bat at ice cubes 'cause it moves funny and sounds cool, so it's at least mentally stimulating and fun for awhile.

you could also try a wide, shallow bowl, since cats don't like having their whiskers getting over-stimulated, in addition to already being vulnerable while they eat/drink. small bowls also limit their vision, which contributes to those feelings of vulnerability, and all creatures tend to avoid situations that cause that.

most pet fountains use an aquarium pump & have different 'settings', so try leaving that off to let them get used to the fountain just as a water source. allow it to become an unexciting part of their environment. (they may be adapting well, but they're still settling into the house, so any new thing is gonna seem more new and startling for awhile.) then put it so that it barely bubbles, maybe adding smooth rocks to minimize splashing if it's the noise spooking them.

cats aren't naturally inclined to drink most of their moisture -- as obligate carnivores, their systems are efficient at getting it from prey. so their thirst drive is low, and while they especially need water on any dry diet, you're fighting instinct to get them to drink regularly.

my cats only eat wet food and don't enjoy playing in the bath, so they give zero fucks about water 99% of the time. and while i like the idea of fountains, i'm just not cleaning it daily to prevent biofilm buildup. i'll put ours out occasionally for their and my entertainment, but i use glass bowls 'cause it seems easier to maintain clean water for them. (the ceramic fountain we have really isn't difficult to clean; even completely taking apart the filter to properly do it, it's still like 5 maybe 10 minutes. but hey, i'm working on my general diligence for daily activities, i'll work my way up to that.)

good on you for helping your kitties!

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Thanks Pooka! I shall definitely try separating the food and water.

The fountain is quiet and doesn’t splash/make bubbles, so that’s good.

Our cats also get wet food, so that’s probably why I am not seeing them drink very often (especially as I feed them the wet food in the evenings, when I am home!).

Edit: I also have some shallower bowls - that did say they helped prevent whisker fatigue - for their wet food, but I should probably look into the same for their non-running water.

Janson on