As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] This thread has suffered a catastrophic translight jump failure.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Wounding a pilot has no effect until they're incapacitated.

Oh, I found a (generic) pilot with the resigned russian woman voice, and I'm training her up. First mission out (she's in an Atlas), she takes an AC10 to the head and responds with 'Well, I'm going to die,' and sounded totally resigned to that fact.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    To replace Dekker I found a pilot named Heat Wave.

Seems like an apt name for a Kintaro pilot.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The first time I went to refit a Kintaro, I was very surprised to find that the stock model comes with zero heatsinks.

No wonder the damn thing fries its pilots.

So I stripped out some weapons and put in some heatsinks. And then stripped out some more weapons to add some jumpjets.

Probably defeating the entire purpose of the Kintaro, but eh, whatever.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Something in this game that is pretty darn bullshit:

An unstable mech can't sprint, but an unstable mech CAN jump.

HBS why do you hate fast running mechs so much? :P

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    So, I've been on a hot streak lately, as you can see by my Solaris City progress:

xdukxx4gec3j.png
    q7twlowrkm2w.png

• Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    So looking at my inventory I realized I've collected an obscene amount of standard medium lasers? How obscene? 140 of them. At 6K a pop selling price, that's more than enough to play for my entire 800K monthly cost.

I enjoy imagining calling staff meeting in a cargo bay and informing each of the pilots that this month their pay is in medium lasers. Glitch, that stack of 9 is your $54K for the month. Dekker, that one is yours.

Next month you'll each get twice that amount in heat sinks.

*edit* I'd really like to do it Oprah style, but it's hard to sneak 9 tons of lasers under someone's seat.

Heffling on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I'll take this over TT rules where a bumbling, low skill pilot has a good chance of tripping and falling just moving across the map, damaging their mech each time, potentially knocking themselves out each time, and potentially failing to even stand up and starting the cycle over again.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

I'll take this over TT rules where a bumbling, low skill pilot has a good chance of tripping and falling just moving across the map, damaging their mech each time, potentially knocking themselves out each time, and potentially failing to even stand up and starting the cycle over again.
    I wish preventing your mech from tripping and falling over was a thing in MWO.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

I've always kind of wished we'd ended up with a slightly slower-moving, slightly more simulationist version of MWO than the more arcade-y version PGI went with. Not a lot more simulationist, but just a smidge.

One can always dream. Maybe when I'm sixty, and the license has changed hands two more times.

Somewhat related: A friend of mine owns the original Steel Batallion, plus system and controller. How hard do I need to be sweet-talking him to get in on that action, or would I be disappointed?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Steel Battalion: Line of Contact punished you for sloppy piloting. You could steer crazy to a degree, but if you overloaded your balancer and either weren’t fast enough on the boost pedal or didn’t have enough power for it, you’d tip over. Your balance also got affected by your weapon loadout, so if you crammed the biggest of every weapon slot on your VT it would adversely affect its handling.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options

Eh? You don’t need to make piloting checks in TT for the majority of common movement.

• Options

Eh? You don’t need to make piloting checks in TT for the majority of common movement.

Unless you're a hovertank, then please to not be sprinting into the forest or you go boom on a tree.

Mechs need to roll piloting when:
    • Taking a lot of damage, failure falls over.
    • Jumping into forests (and possibly other difficult terrain).
    • When kicking something - leg only damage table, failure falls over.
    • When punching something - partial cover damage table, two attacks, no falling.
    • When standing up - failure means you fall over again.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Somewhat related: A friend of mine owns the original Steel Batallion, plus system and controller. How hard do I need to be sweet-talking him to get in on that action, or would I be disappointed?

I can't image you being disappointed in Steel Battalion. It's "slower" in that you can seeing incoming rounds, allowing you to dodge out of the way, which is key to surviving at all. It's a challenging game, exemplified by it deleting your savegame if your mech is destroyed and you fail to hit the eject button in time. I never managed to complete the campaign, I always got killed or ran out of funds to afford a powerful enough replacement mech to continue.

Plus half the buttons and switches on the controller are just for the startup sequence and that brought a smile to my face every time.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    Kay wrote: »

Unless you're a hovertank, then please to not be sprinting into the forest or you go boom on a tree.

Mechs need to roll piloting when:
    • Taking a lot of damage, failure falls over.
    • Jumping into forests (and possibly other difficult terrain).
    • When kicking something - leg only damage table, failure falls over.
    • When punching something - partial cover damage table, two attacks, no falling.
    • When standing up - failure means you fall over again.

Punching something doesn’t involve a PSR for falling over and neither does jumping into forests.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I stated that punching doesn't lead to falls, but I was certain there was something weird about jumping into terrain that was not super simple. I didn't want to go digging my rulebooks out of storage.

Moving into Building hexes, rubble hexes, deep water, jumping with leg actuator/gyro damage, and running after changing facing while on pavement what the fuck?!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    Took a contract today to fight off another mercenary lance, in which they fielded two mediums and two heavies against our two heavies and two assaults.

I need a drink after that mission. One of their mechs was cored before it got within visual range of us. Two more spent half of the engagement on their backs, struggling to climb a hill under a rain of missiles that actually darkened the sky (thank you, cinematic camera). The last one got a couple salvos off, but he wound up puréed in his cockpit like the rest. I felt so awful for them. They deserved none of that shit.

RIP those dudes; they thought they were taking a three skull contract, but man did they get some bad intel.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    running after changing facing while on pavement what the fuck?!

This one's the best, as @Buttcleft can attest for me.

Nothing like sending a Locust skidding off into the next county with one bad roll.

Also, it turns UrbanMechs into slow-moving bowling balls.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    running after changing facing while on pavement what the fuck?!

This one's the best, as @Buttcleft can attest for me.

Nothing like sending a Locust skidding off into the next county with one bad roll.

Also, it turns UrbanMechs into slow-moving bowling balls.

Savanna Masters may as well be an orbital bombardment

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    You're not a real Mechwarrior until you have "HEAVY" sprayed on the 'ass' of your mech.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    You're not a real Mechwarrior until you have "HEAVY" sprayed on the 'ass' of your mech.

Said mech is a Locust, right?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Said mech is a Locust, right?

Urbanmech

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    ...and then oh shit a HBK-4G. AC/20s still do a number even while braced and I ended up spending my first morale there to make sure to take off the hunch ASAP and only let him get a single shot off.

Note well that the Hunchback's AC/20 ammo is in the other torso. So taking off either torso will disable the gun, and taking off the non-hunch torso has the benefit of potentially causing an ammo explosion (and thus extra pilot injury), and it doesn't injure the AC/20, meaning a chance at a + gun.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Spectrum wrote: »
    ...and then oh shit a HBK-4G. AC/20s still do a number even while braced and I ended up spending my first morale there to make sure to take off the hunch ASAP and only let him get a single shot off.

Note well that the Hunchback's AC/20 ammo is in the other torso. So taking off either torso will disable the gun, and taking off the non-hunch torso has the benefit of potentially causing an ammo explosion (and thus extra pilot injury), and it doesn't injure the AC/20, meaning a chance at a + gun.
    True! It just so happened that my frontal fire scattered more towards the hunch side and so I opted to take that off first. I couldn't relocate to focus fire a side down without having to do that due to the way positioning was working and not wanting to eat un-Braced missile fire.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    MWO

Whoa so hey, there may be an exploit on the new map. The enemy team had a cheater (either a bot or someone not talking at all) who got inside a building somehow. They could shoot out, but not be shot at. We had to have our last guys walk away from the location so they wouldn't be killed - which he was doing to our last 6 and got them down to 3. We won when the time ran out but WOW.

• Options
    My baby.

U6cZuSO.jpg
    1FCDltX.jpg

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    MWO. Installed and fired the ol' thing up after buying Founders' at release but hardly playing. Bought my old favourite mech, and gave her the old missileboat treatment.
    ngmuknm20ilo.jpg

On a scale of 1 to "what is this monstrosity?", how badly have I fucked up this loadout? I really had no idea what I was doing, and I can't lock on anything worth a damn.

Suriko on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote: »
    MWO. Installed and fired the ol' thing up after buying Founders' at release but hardly playing. Bought my old favourite mech, and gave her the old missileboat treatment.
    ngmuknm20ilo.jpg

On a scale of 1 to "what is this monstrosity?", how badly have I fucked up this loadout? I really had no idea what I was doing, and I can't lock on anything worth a damn.
    The Maddog / Vulture is already tight on weight for a clan mech, since it uses standard structure.

I would ditch the ballistic arm for an energy arm, and make all the energy weapons medium lasers of some flavour (pulse, er, heavy) also ditch the targeting computer.

Then use the weight savings to max armor, upgrade to artemis, move ammo to legs, and add heatsinks or extra ammo or both.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    End of campaign spoilers
    "Be ready to field multiple fully equipped lances"
    Is that because if they get damaged I won't have a chance to repair or refit them, or am I actually going to need to simultaneously send out multiple lances?

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Suriko wrote: »
    ngmuknm20ilo.jpg

The Maddog / Vulture is already tight on weight for a clan mech, since it uses standard structure.

I would ditch the ballistic arm for an energy arm, and make all the energy weapons medium lasers of some flavour (pulse, er, heavy) also ditch the targeting computer.

Then use the weight savings to max armor, upgrade to artemis, move ammo to legs, and add heatsinks or extra ammo or both.

To elaborate: replace the targeting computer for a Clan Active Probe. If you plan on running anything that requires missile locks, a CAP/BAP is absolutely mandatory given how much ECM is running around out there.

Correction edit: a CAP/BAP is mandatory unless you yourself have ECM as well

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Rend wrote: »
    End of campaign spoilers
    Is that because if they get damaged I won't have a chance to repair or refit them, or am I actually going to need to simultaneously send out multiple lances?
    The former. Also
    You will only need 3 'mechs still standing for the mission after

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    I uh... I may have gotten so annoyed with the various UX issues this game has, while being otherwise so awesome, that I started building my own version in UE4...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcnTkEhenb8

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »
    I uh... I may have gotten so annoyed with the various UX issues this game has, while being otherwise so awesome, that I started building my own version in UE4...

That's an ambitious effort for just UX issues. I expect an Alpha release by the end of the week.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Rend wrote: »
    End of campaign spoilers
    The former. Also
    You will only need 3 'mechs still standing for the mission after

I hated how vague that proclamation was. Asked the same question here and got answer right away which prevented me from wasting a lot of time getting way more ready than I needed to.

• Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

That's an ambitious effort for just UX issues. I expect an Alpha release by the end of the week.

To be fair, I also never did anything turn-based before and wanted to try it :D

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    Saw my first Black Knight.

It is now a 3xMG, 6(?)Mlas, Full armor, full JJ punch machine.

It's gonna get the arm mod from my dragon, and the cockpit mod from my griffin in the near future, but since that will cost an MG, and a few tons more armor (or a couple lasers), we'll see how it turns out.

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Redspo0n wrote: »

It's gonna get the arm mod from my dragon, and the cockpit mod from my griffin in the near future, but since that will cost an MG, and a few tons more armor (or a couple lasers), we'll see how it turns out.

I've seen exactly two Black Knights so far. I have precisely two pieces of salvage of a Black Knight.

If I could predict when one would pop up, I might try harder to snatch it, because it looks hella dope. Seriously, that artwork is so good. But the damn things show up with a literal company each time, I haven't had the time and space to try and puree the pilot properly.

Nips on
  • Options
    Redspo0nRedspo0n Registered User regular
    Redspo0n wrote: »

I've seen exactly two Black Knights so far. I have precisely two pieces of salvage of a Black Knight.

If I could predict when one would pop up, I might try harder to snatch it, because it looks hella dope. Seriously, that artwork is so good. But the damn things show up with a literal company each time, I haven't had the time and space to try and puree the pilot properly.

I actually had two, ramshackle, pirate black knights in a 'retrieve the dood' mission.

Cbill was pathetic anyway, so went full salvage. Then cut the legs off the first one by accident while attempting to knock it down with LRM70 over two turns.

Second one got his head jumped on by Dekker in the Dragon in the most marvelous of DFAs.

They're entire defense force was the two Knights, a grasshopper, and a thunderbolt.

It was pure luck, honestly.

"Hey, want a Skull Servent? He's Evil."
    XFIRE:redspo0n (Yep, Zero in there) XBL: Pinkspo0n
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Alright, I bought my Kitfox, variant C. Lots of AMS, ECM, and a Tag to help the team. Swapped the weapon system over to two medium pulses and two heavy MGs, instead of a small pulse, ER large, and two regular MGs.

Edit - And I got Gauss Rifle'd in the cockpit in my first match, ffs

Henroid on