As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] This thread has suffered a catastrophic translight jump failure.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    does MWLL support VR?

Negative. It's honestly a small miracle that game still runs on regular PCs tbh, lol.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So I've spent the last several hours in the academy in MWO, now I'm looking at mechs to spend my C-Bills on.

I've always been fond of the Crab, and based on that tier list at the beginning (which looks like it hasn't been updated in a while), the CRB-27B is listed as a decent one...which also happens to be on sale. Still a good choice?

Also, in the Academy I was noticing that when I swapped mechs there were a few instances where the hud never appeared (no targeting reticles, no firegroups, etc). Shutting down/powering up fixed it. Am I missing a setting that re-enables that?

Nobody on
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    The 27B for the sale price is a solid mech. Same with the Bushwacker that's on sale (I just recommend removing the XL, selling it, and swapping in a Light Fusion Engine for it to increase the tankiness).

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    chasm wrote: »
    The 27B for the sale price is a solid mech. Same with the Bushwacker that's on sale (I just recommend removing the XL, selling it, and swapping in a Light Fusion Engine for it to increase the tankiness).

Thanks! I’ll admit I was looking at the Bushwacker too, but it was about a mil more and I wasn’t sure how much money I should hold onto after the mech is purchased.

• Options
    There's a lot more build variety possible with the Bushie, which is something you might want to consider.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yeah, sadly I would recommend the Bushwhacker over the Crab at this point. Unless you have a desire for... Not going to finish that sentence and slowly back away from it.

I hear some people like crab cakes. Yeah, let's go with that instead. Unless you have a desire for crab cakes. Or like the mech itself.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Man, the 1.3 update, even without Flashpoints, is shaping up to be a reason to start a new game up anyways. I've been waiting for significant changes to give it a spin, and Career mode is just what the doctor ordered.

I mean, I'm getting the Flashpoints anyways. Probably going to get the season pass off next months paycheck while it's still on sale. But even if I weren't, 1.3 is looking great. HBS is doing right by this game. Something I have a harder time saying about some of their other releases.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    IMHO the Crab 27, 27B and 27SL are not only solid, but incredible mechs. They're incredibly hard to kill (with structure quirks and the ability to splash like a boss), they have decent bursts, they pack a ton of firepower into the torso and they're fast. They're also very singular in purpose.

The Crab 27 has one purpose in life, spit laser fire and intercept missiles. It can do that with 5 pulses and a LE280, or 3xML,2xLL and LE250. Stay fairly close to your Assault mechs and support them with da lazers while making Lurmboats cry.
    The 27B is all abouit medium lasers with a big ol snubbie or large pulse laser in the torso. You're a fast and deadly hunter, the perfect member of the wolfpack.
    27SL has a really nice 5 pulse&4 jump jet build. The speed and jumpjets allow you to evade anything you can't kill.

I love the Crab. So much. I only wish there was a Clan crab, because if I could put clan heatsinks on it I would rule this universe.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Namrok On steam is says the sale is through Oct 25

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Namrok On steam is says the sale is through Oct 25

Well shit. I could have sworn it lasted until Dec 2nd or something the last time I checked.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Can’t link the builder (wrong device and I don’t have an account yet since at work)

CRB would be looking at a 250 light engine, maxed std armor, Endosteel, large pulse in CT with 4 mediums in the arms, and as many DHS as I can fit.

BSW slows down with a 265 light, maxed std armor, ES, loses the AC/10, MGs and ammo for a LB/10X, with 1.5 tons of ammo each for it and the LRMS in the legs.

Does it sound like those would be on the right track? Considered a RAC/5 for the BSW instead but it felt like an odd man out.

Edit: to clarify- CRB-27B and BSW-1X

Nobody on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Can’t link the builder (wrong device and I don’t have an account yet since at work)

CRB would be looking at a 250 light engine, maxed std armor, Endosteel, large pulse in CT with 4 mediums in the arms, and as many DHS as I can fit.

BSW slows down with a 265 light, maxed std armor, ES, loses the AC/10, MGs and ammo for a LB/10X, with 1.5 tons of ammo each for it and the LRMS in the legs.

Does it sound like those would be on the right track? Considered a RAC/5 for the BSW instead but it felt like an odd man out.

For the Bushwacker, and building in general, I recommend focusing on a single range band, and don't dedicate too much tonnage to weapons that don't help you dominate at your chosen range.

So if you want an LRM mech, fill your ballistic slots with machine guns and your energy slots with small lasers or medium lasers or TAG. This let's you focus on using your LRMs and firing them around cover, but gives you something to use if you get rushed, or run out of ammo, or your launcher gets crit or blown off.

Alternatively you can keep the LBX and then add machine guns, and remove the LRM for either SRM, MRM, or Rockets. And then dedicate one energy slots to a light ppc or an ER medium lasers for the occasional poke or UAV kill.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular

For the Bushwacker, and building in general, I recommend focusing on a single range band, and don't dedicate too much tonnage to weapons that don't help you dominate at your chosen range.

So if you want an LRM mech, fill your ballistic slots with machine guns and your energy slots with small lasers or medium lasers or TAG. This let's you focus on using your LRMs and firing them around cover, but gives you something to use if you get rushed, or run out of ammo, or your launcher gets crit or blown off.

Alternatively you can keep the LBX and then add machine guns, and remove the LRM for either SRM, MRM, or Rockets. And then dedicate one energy slots to a light ppc or an ER medium lasers for the occasional poke or UAV kill.

From what I've seen of Baradul and B33f, LBX pairs crazy well with MRMs.

From personal experience, LBX+as many SRM tubes as you can cram on without incurring ghost heat is amazing.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    The BSW-1X has always struck me as the type of mech where you mount SRM4s and HMGs in every slot, a big ol snubbie in the nose, the biggest engine possible and then just dakkas everyone to death at close range.
    Good firepower in the left/center for some early poking which leaves your HMGs fresh when it's time to brawl.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited October 2018

This doesn't quite apply to most assault mechs. Ideally you have a plan for engaging at short/medium/long distances and for light-heavy that plan can usually be "move my ass away/closer". Assault mechs don't have the luxury of speed or abundant cover so you need to have some idea of how you'll handle these situations. Sometimes its a lot of ECM/AMS cover, sometimes its an LRM20 on your Atlas etc.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

This doesn't quite apply to most assault mechs. Ideally you have a plan for engaging at short/medium/long distances and for light-heavy that plan can usually be "move my ass away/closer". Assault mechs don't have the luxury of speed or abundant cover so you need to have some idea of how you'll handle these situations. Sometimes its a lot of ECM/AMS cover, sometimes its an LRM20 on your Atlas etc.

And sometimes (not always), it's 4 gauss rifles (or light gauss) and a steady hand and sense of rhythm.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    From personal experience, LBX+as many SRM tubes as you can cram on without incurring ghost heat is amazing.

It's good since SRMs are pretty compact and lightweight. But LBX plus anything that's light and compact is good. LBX+a full rack of MLs is also pretty devestating (Making for example the ENF-4R a really nasty package)

• Options
    I got admit, the MRM/LB-10X and SRM/LBX builds do sound intriguing, especially the MRM ones.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I got admit, the MRM/LB-10X and SRM/LBX builds do sound intriguing, especially the MRM ones.

The general thinking, if I recall correctly, is that srm is going to be better if you're doing a medium/heavy striker and just looking to get in and out. MRMs take a lot of room and fire in LRM style salvos so you're more exposed.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Assaults that split their tonnage are just slower and bigger heavies.

Having some backup weapons is smart planning, dedicating any serious tonnage to them is just going to cause under performance at all ranges.

Assaults need to have the pilot be better at anticipating and planning for the flow of battle and map awareness to counter their lower speed.

AMS / ECM are both very light tonnage and excellent defense measure.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    Looking to get back into MWO for some shooty shooty action in between RPG's.
    I don't like to scout and I don't like running a big ass assault but I do like to run around and support / take some damage.
    I like to shoot ballistics.

I have an HBK-4G and BSW-P2 right now and not much cash.
    Prefer IS because I'm a sadist.

What should I buy or load out on what I got to do some damage and earn some cash?
    Not looking to be number one in a battle.

Mech piloting skills: intermediate.

I just started playing for the first time a few weeks ago. I've gotten pretty decent since then, I mainly roll around in a king crab with dual UAC10's but I'm working on a few other setups too. RN I'm mostly interested in finding a good medium mech and making my fafnir chasis work. We could figure it out together. Add me and well get some games in. MWO account is Handsome Costanza.

As a noob my advice if youre looking for some cash would be to participate in the trick or treat event right now. I've made like 12 mil c bills since it started thanks to the multiple days of premium time the game has given me from loot bags.

Edit: literally right after I posted this message I opened a loot bag and got another day of premium time.

Got into some games with @Handsome Costanza and the rust is certainly showing for me.
    What's a good average for damage per match?
    I've been trying to follow the lights up when scouting until the team engages and then I try to keep in cover and harrass whomever I can or assist with FF. Is this the right strategy for running a medium (I'm doing the 2xUAC5 bushwacker).

I think it'd be good to get in an experienced unit so I can follow directions for a while :)
    I'm great at "Aridhol, go there, do this" :)

• Options

Having some backup weapons is smart planning, dedicating any serious tonnage to them is just going to cause under performance at all ranges.

Assaults need to have the pilot be better at anticipating and planning for the flow of battle and map awareness to counter their lower speed.

I have no argument against the value of field awareness but most of us play solo queue.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    I don't like to scout and I don't like running a big ass assault but I do like to run around and support / take some damage.

What should I buy or load out on what I got to do some damage and earn some cash?

I just started playing for the first time a few weeks ago. I've gotten pretty decent since then, I mainly roll around in a king crab with dual UAC10's but I'm working on a few other setups too. RN I'm mostly interested in finding a good medium mech and making my fafnir chasis work. We could figure it out together. Add me and well get some games in. MWO account is Handsome Costanza.

As a noob my advice if youre looking for some cash would be to participate in the trick or treat event right now. I've made like 12 mil c bills since it started thanks to the multiple days of premium time the game has given me from loot bags.

Edit: literally right after I posted this message I opened a loot bag and got another day of premium time.

Got into some games with @Handsome Costanza and the rust is certainly showing for me.
    I've been trying to follow the lights up when scouting until the team engages and then I try to keep in cover and harrass whomever I can or assist with FF. Is this the right strategy for running a medium (I'm doing the 2xUAC5 bushwacker).

I think it'd be good to get in an experienced unit so I can follow directions for a while :)

My rule of thumb is:
    0-100 you did something seriously wrong in building or piloting your mech.
    100-200 you had a bad match
    200-300 average match

Focusing fire, and staying with the team so that you occasionally shed armor instead of a teammate is optimal. Other strategy will come with experience.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Got into some games with "Handsome Costanza" and the rust is certainly showing for me.

As a UAC5s Bushwhacker I would recommend hanging out with the heavies. That way you can be a portable gun turret for them when the team engages. Or also be an Assault assist when the enemy lights come in.

Especially since you don't go around 100kph and keep up with the lights for hit and fades.

As for damage output. Anything around 100-200 is acceptable early on. Later you can compete for the 400-600 range. Or try and hope you don't do 50 damage and die early.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    300 or so is a solid match with that build, but there's a lot riding there. Not all damage is equal of course and there are ways you need to contribute that aren't just about damage. Even then sometimes you're going to get taken out early from no fault of your own.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Thanks all, I've been at 170-190 ish for most with a couple 280+ and a couple of sub 100s where I've done something stupid like expose myself to a firing line of assaults.

More practice needed.

• Options

I think the "you need a second option" more applies to Assaults that field a lot of long range weaponry. In an assault you always need a close range option, so you can't just outfit it with Heavy PPCs or LRMs.

In my Annihilator my long range plan is "Well, I do have these 4xLBX-10s and a fair amount of ammo". My short range plan is "I definitely have these 4xLBX-10s and a fair amount of ammo". The mid range plan is completely different but also involves LBX-10s.

• Options
    Giant shotguns are love; giant shotguns are life.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Okay, here's the BSW-X1 I'm planning as a transition mech until I can get the LBX (I'll be just of short of getting it if I'm calculating right). I figure with the LBX I'd use the extra ton for another heat sink.

Meanwhile, this is the CRB-27B that I was looking at, I'd be able to build this right off the bat.

Nobody on
  • Options
    Okay, here's the BSW-X1 I'm planning as a transition mech until I can get the LBX (I'll be just of short of getting it if I'm calculating right). I figure with the LBX I'd use the extra ton for another heat sink.

Meanwhile, this is the CRB-27B that I was looking at, I'd be able to build this right off the bat.

I'd dump the CASE out of the torsos and put the AC-10 into the torso to use the arm as a shield.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

I'd dump the CASE out of the torsos and put the AC-10 into the torso to use the arm as a shield.

Ooh, I hadn't considered that. AC/10 moved to torso, and with the CASE gone I can use that for an extra ton of AC ammo.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    You only need CASE in torsos where you're storing ammo or running gauss rifles, and even then, it's dependent on personal preference. I only run CASE on my Heavy Gauss boats.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Good to know, I think I was remembering tabletop where it would transfer up (maybe old rules?)

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Good to know, I think I was remembering tabletop where it would transfer up (maybe old rules?)

You're probably remembering right. It's just that, short of a Piranha scooping out your innards, actual critical hits are pretty rare. The half ton and crit are usually better spent elsewhere.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    You only need CASE in torsos where you're storing ammo or running gauss rifles, and even then, it's dependent on personal preference. I only run CASE on my Heavy Gauss boats.

Honest question: why?

If a heavy gauss bursts, it deals 25 damage. If the torso isn't blown off before the gauss rifle goes, wouldn't only 40% of the excess damage transfer into the CT? Out of all the time I've spent in my dual-HGR builds, I can count the number of times I've died to a weapon explosion on one hand.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Honest question: why?

If a heavy gauss bursts, it deals 25 damage. If the torso isn't blown off before the gauss rifle goes, wouldn't only 40% of the excess damage transfer into the CT? Out of all the time I've spent in my dual-HGR builds, I can count the number of times I've died to a weapon explosion on one hand.

Died to Heavy Gauss explosion twice in my Kraken and it made me a little gunshy.

On another note, I'm in love.
    y6Vitsa.jpg

The actual gameplay: https://youtu.be/p7perp7TtLo

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    so you can't just outfit it with Heavy PPCs or LRMs.

Can you come into my games and tell people that? Granted, while there are certain assault mechs/builds that can do work as long range snipers, or missile boats. It's frustrating as fuck to see frontline assault mechs sitting in the back of the battle dropping LRM's.

I'm probably a little salty though, Tier 3 has been a see saw lately. One night it's just one bad game after another, then the next night suddenly you're pulling great teams.

• Options
    edited October 2018
    So, I ended up not having nearly enough to do what I wanted, but I oddly enough ended up close to the weapon loadout I had planned on starting with (MPL instead of ERML)

First drop: 0 damage, I crested the wrong hill at the wrong time.
    Second drop: about 200 damage and survive
    Third drop: around 150 damage and die
    Fourth drop: 584 damage, and one of the last 3 survivors. It was a map with a lot of blind corners for me to mug people around, and I had a medium decide to get right up in my face and swallow MRM and LBX volleys to the face.

Upgrading after every match, it currently looks like this BSW-X1

Currently at just under 2.5 mil, saving up for the light engine I want to use. Considering swapping out the half ton of MRM ammo and swap the MPL to ERML so I can add an AMS.

EDIT: Or just drop a heat sink instead of downgrading the MPL, I haven't come close to overheating yet.

Nobody on
  • Options
    I saw an Oosik in a game and didn't even embarrass myself. 456 dmg and 1 kill.

Really getting used to the uac5 bushwacker.

Worthwhile to drop any lasers for ams?