As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Rick & Morty] gets renewed for 100 years!!!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    My only exposure to bad Rick and Morty fans is people complaining about them. Where are we finding all these bad Rick and Morty fans?

Reddit.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I like R&M, and was pretty floored by a lot of episodes in season 3 being so good. Pickle Rick is good in a way I was not expecting, even going in with a pretty high opinion of the show.

The terrible fans are sort of a logical extension of the trend of making TV shows centered around Charismatic-Terrible Men. TV tries to have it both ways by highlighting characters like Tony Soprano, Don Draper, and Walter White and saying "Look how this person's bad deeds are ruining his life!", while at the same time the character is incredibly successful and awesome-looking within the world of the show. I remember there was a sentiment among anti-Skylar White Breaking Bad fans who were basically like "She's so awful because she wants her husband to stop doing awesome crimes!" R&M suffers along the same lines; it tries to make the point that Rick's behavior is destroying his family and everything he cares about, and alcoholic nihilism makes you a suicidal wreck, but the message is a bit muddled when the character is sooooo awesome that one of his alcoholic blackouts causes him to defeat and out-Evil-Overlord a galactic supervillain without even remembering it.

One show that has struck me as more successfully portraying the Charismatic-Terrible Man without lionizing him at the same time is Bojack Horseman - he's extremely successful in the world of the show, but the show actually manages to convey that his success doesn't outweigh how miserable and self-destructive he is; compared to the other characters, I can't imagine many fans watching BJH and wanting to be him because he's so successful.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I just saw a video essay about that; basically we love watching people struggle and then overcome anyways despite their inherent flaws. Partly, it's because Rick is funny in a very condescending way, he sees himself as above others and above even his own emotions. But the important thing is to show his hubris actually getting in the way. Almost all of Ricks problems are self-created (relatable) and yet he seems to blame others around him for the inconvenience of having to fix them. He can't understand when lovers, friends, and even family choose to leave him alone when they realize that, and it frustrates him. Rick isolated himself, pretends to not care, but even he knows ultimately that what really craves is a normal family life- but his intellect and ego will never let him have that.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    See I go the other way. I'm not mad at the show at all for the shitty people it's brought out of the woodwork.

If anything it's a bonus. I get a show I like and an easier way to spot the people I should avoid.

Rick and Morty just made most of them easy to spot by making them show themselves as assholes much faster.

It's a timesaver

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I like R&M, and was pretty floored by a lot of episodes in season 3 being so good. Pickle Rick is good in a way I was not expecting, even going in with a pretty high opinion of the show.

The terrible fans are sort of a logical extension of the trend of making TV shows centered around Charismatic-Terrible Men. TV tries to have it both ways by highlighting characters like Tony Soprano, Don Draper, and Walter White and saying "Look how this person's bad deeds are ruining his life!", while at the same time the character is incredibly successful and awesome-looking within the world of the show. I remember there was a sentiment among anti-Skylar White Breaking Bad fans who were basically like "She's so awful because she wants her husband to stop doing awesome crimes!" R&M suffers along the same lines; it tries to make the point that Rick's behavior is destroying his family and everything he cares about, and alcoholic nihilism makes you a suicidal wreck, but the message is a bit muddled when the character is sooooo awesome that one of his alcoholic blackouts causes him to defeat and out-Evil-Overlord a galactic supervillain without even remembering it.

One show that has struck me as more successfully portraying the Charismatic-Terrible Man without lionizing him at the same time is Bojack Horseman - he's extremely successful in the world of the show, but the show actually manages to convey that his success doesn't outweigh how miserable and self-destructive he is; compared to the other characters, I can't imagine many fans watching BJH and wanting to be him because he's so successful.

The thing with Bojack is that he isnt the kind of success that Rick is, he's not an awesomely talented person, he's a mediocre asshole who accidently stumbled into the big time and then completely failed at following it up with anything. Thats the equivalent of finding a lottery ticket on the street. Rick meanwhile has amazing experiences all the time.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I like Rick and Morty but the times I find the philosophy of the show the most tiresome is when Beth and Rick interact. I think Harmon legitimately thinks that smart people have a completely different experience of existence than normies, and that’s kinda fucked up

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    I like Rick and Morty but the times I find the philosophy of the show the most tiresome is when Beth and Rick interact. I think Harmon legitimately thinks that smart people have a completely different experience of existence than normies, and that’s kinda fucked up

Beth and Rick are borderline sociopaths.

When they interact you should be thinking they are shitbags that enable each other

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    I dunno I see a bit too much authorial intent whenever I hear rick say ‘smart people are’

Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I dunno I see a bit too much authorial intent whenever I hear rick say ‘smart people are’

That is meant to be taken as Rick being a toxic, arrogant shithole. He is really, really, really not supposed to be a character you empathize with.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I like Rick and Morty a lot, but I have a hard time with that Mr.Jellybean scene

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    I like Rick and Morty a lot, but I have a hard time with that Mr.Jellybean scene

Yeeeaaahh that one is a little much.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

I would describe them more as "jaded" people. It's really hard for Rick to enjoy anything he does and often times he goes from a huge high (having an orgy in a football stadium) to a huge low (trying to kill himself).

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »

Justin Roiland has discussed that scene. Basically he played it as straight as possible he didnt want it to be funny.

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I never want to talk to another person who watches Rick and Morty ever once in my entire life ever.

You got it. Geth, kick Tube from the thread.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I kind of liked it more when Rick didn't have to prove his intelligence so much and was more of a high-energy eccentric. It's always his responsibility to move the plot along, so every episode can only be as crazy as he is, and it's really hard to have fun with sane self-reflection.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    It's baaaaaack. Season 4 premiere here: https://www.adultswim.com/videos/rick-and-morty

As usual, starts off some new-ish family dynamics. It was fun. 7/10.

• Options
    Jerry saying anime killed me

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I really liked the premiere. It felt like they were directly addressing their shitty fans (by them literally mocking people who want "classic Rick and Morty adventures"), the topical fascism comment ("when did this shit become the norm?") and them making a joke about trying new things while calling back to old jokes.

At this point Morty is equally as bad as Rick, and if anything more dangerous because he's so susceptible to things Rick knows better than to mess with. Well, not that Rick tried hard to warn Morty about the crystals anyways

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular
    Has morty straight up murdered humans like this before?

• Options
    NotYou wrote: »
    Has morty straight up murdered humans like this before?

The purge episode

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Technically not humans, but definitely people.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I really liked the premiere. It felt like they were directly addressing their shitty fans (by them literally mocking people who want "classic Rick and Morty adventures"), the topical fascism comment ("when did this shit become the norm?") and them making a joke about trying new things while calling back to old jokes.

At this point Morty is equally as bad as Rick, and if anything more dangerous because he's so susceptible to things Rick knows better than to mess with. Well, not that Rick tried hard to warn Morty about the crystals anyways
    Yeah, that was a wonderful start to the new season. It's finally here! :)

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    He also murdered Fart.

• Options
    He also murdered Fart.

That was preventing a universal genocide so that probably gets a pass.

• Options
    He also murdered Fart.

That was preventing a universal genocide so that probably gets a pass.

Spoken like a carbon-based lifeform.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    When did Beth and Jerry get back together?

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    When did Beth and Jerry get back together?

End of last season

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I wasn't gonna re-watch last season before the premier but I am glad that the bar I went to go see it in ran last season's episodes beforehand because I forgot a lot over the last 2 years.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Why does everyone discussion about rick and morty have to be about the bad rick and morty fans?

Cause they're really bad.

Also, when you let them be the loudest voice and cater to them, you end up with Supernatural. And that's a tame example.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I wasn't gonna re-watch last season before the premier but I am glad that the bar I went to go see it in ran last season's episodes beforehand because I forgot a lot over the last 2 years.
    Yeah I mis-remembered the citadel episode as the series finale, even though I definitely saw the other stuff.

• Options
    I think maybe this was the worst episode yet.

• Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I just watched it tonight and this was not a bad episode. Summer was great for the small part she had and was completely in line with her commentary. She should not have been shouted off.

It was funny and did some neat stuff. I'm glad they're back.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Did a third episode come out? Because the toilet episode was pretty great.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

This Sunday

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »

This Sunday
    Wasn't that the toilet episode.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

This Sunday

I didn't think it was that bad.

• Options

This Sunday

It was very good!

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

This Sunday

It was very good!

I believe Romero was making a joke.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Jokes?

On the Internet!?