As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy [Cobra Kai] (open spoilers)

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I think I told literally everybody I know that this show was good, and they should watch it. I’d be surprised if a single person did. It’s like telling somebody they should watch a show on a channel that’s only on the “fuck it, give me everything” tier. Access is a huge hurdle.

Compare ro Hulu, which already struggles with this, but which has multiple high profile shows and also gives access to a ton of other top shelf content. YTR gives you Cobra Kai and...some show from Vsauce? He’s a streamer, right? That’s what he’s called? I know my little cousin watches his stuff.

I’m pretty sure if Handmaid’s Tale was on YTR nobody would have seen it and it would have won no awards.

I still try to convince people that YouTube premium is worth it on its own. But it’s a hard sell for people.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    One of my favourite things about Cobra Kai was that it really looked as though it was cruising towards an extremely bad message where Johnny's "Be A Jerk Asshole" message actually works for his students. It looks as though they were gaining confidence, and a ton of different standard tropes (beating up the bullies, coming into a new identity etc) were shown to make you go "wait, what? bully school is working?" and then the final episodes show you that all Johnny did was create new bullies. There's no positive in the kind of confidence that he was teaching, the kind of arrogance that turns shy kids into monstrous shitheads. Miguel transforms from the most sympathetic character in the show to one of its biggest monsters.

It also showed what a horrible effect bullying has on people. Daniel still isn't fully over it, 30 years on. It's still a huge part of who he is. Kreese's bullying of Johnny has left just as much of an impact. Cobra Kai is unequivocal about the fact that bullying isn't kids stuff, isn't character building, isn't something you get over. It's poison that is passed down from generation to generation. All the Cobra Kai kids were bullied, and now all the Cobra Kai kids are bullies.

• Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    My only real concern about Cobra Kai is that too much of the audience have a take away of "Johnny was right, the nerds are kicking ass now, they are cool", either by not getting the point of the resolution or by not caring about it.

Now, I don't personally think they were too subtle about it, but I've had multiple discussions where the other person had the wrong takeaway from the show.

• Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »
    I think I told literally everybody I know that this show was good, and they should watch it. I’d be surprised if a single person did. It’s like telling somebody they should watch a show on a channel that’s only on the “fuck it, give me everything” tier. Access is a huge hurdle.

Compare ro Hulu, which already struggles with this, but which has multiple high profile shows and also gives access to a ton of other top shelf content. YTR gives you Cobra Kai and...some show from Vsauce? He’s a streamer, right? That’s what he’s called? I know my little cousin watches his stuff.

I’m pretty sure if Handmaid’s Tale was on YTR nobody would have seen it and it would have won no awards.

I still try to convince people that YouTube premium is worth it on its own. But it’s a hard sell for people.

Youtube premium comes with a subscription to youtube music as well doesn't it? I had access to Cobra Kai because they provide all of the youtube original content in the youtube tv streaming service as well.

I would download a car.
  • Options
    Piotyr wrote: »
    My only real concern about Cobra Kai is that too much of the audience have a take away of "Johnny was right, the nerds are kicking ass now, they are cool", either by not getting the point of the resolution or by not caring about it.

Now, I don't personally think they were too subtle about it, but I've had multiple discussions where the other person had the wrong takeaway from the show.

I feel like there's no message so obvious that some people won't miss it, willfully or otherwise. Even some movies where my annoyance has been how hard they insist on smashing you with the message had people loudly proclaiming that it meant the opposite of what it did.

• Options
    lazegamer wrote: »
    mcdermott wrote: »

Youtube premium comes with a subscription to youtube music as well doesn't it? I had access to Cobra Kai because they provide all of the youtube original content in the youtube tv streaming service as well.

I never once used YTM in the nine or ten months I had it. We have Spotify, I use that.

I had no idea the YT originals were on YTTV though. We have that, so they’ll save me on Red! But yeah that doesn’t say good things about the content on the platform, I’ve had YTTV for months too.

• Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    Impulse and Ryan Hanson Solves Crimes on Television are both good.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Finally. Cobra Kai was good shit and I'm ready for more.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    This show is great and so earnest and sincere without being trite or patronizing. It's a helluva balance.

Also, if this was on Netflix it would be a massive event like stranger things. There would be watch parties and Halloween costumes.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    This show is great and so earnest and sincere without being trite or patronizing. It's a helluva balance.

Also, if this was on Netflix it would be a massive event like stranger things. There would be watch parties and Halloween costumes.

There still can be! We just gotta get the underground movement going.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

There still can be! We just gotta get the underground movement going.

So dressing up in Keikogis?

Reminds me of the one time I didn't feel weird enough in one: we did a martial arts exhibition at a Comic/Manga convention, but pretty much everyone already had like 3 katanas or giant guns...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    this is a pretty good, solid piece that covers some stuff people have already said here, in a pleasantly chill and gimmick-free way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNR-Arqw-n4

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    this is a pretty good, solid piece that covers some stuff people have already said here, in a pleasantly chill and gimmick-free way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNR-Arqw-n4

That was really good. Loved it!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Fuckin Cobra Kai. Hells yes. Very excited for this.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Full season 2 trailer released today! Looking intense and awesome! 20 days yo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaXoQJx3jYs

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Who is going to win at fighting between Danny and Jonny

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Who is going to win at fighting between Danny and Jonny

Depends, we allowing kicks to the face this time?

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Fuck yeah. This is going to be awesome.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Jesus. Christ.

I am more jacked for this than Endgame.

• Options
    Jesus. Christ.

And GoT. April is stacked.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Jesus. Christ.

And GoT. April is stacked.

I forgot about got! Damn, April!

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    So major spoilers. It seems like the ending reminds me a lot of the final arc of
    Hamilton.
    The person trained to show no mercy eventually does, and the person trained to only use defense takes a cheap shot. Both of them are basically destroyed by this and no one actually wins.

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    LeTwigLeTwig Registered User regular
    Holy cow that last episode... Not sure how they bring it back from there.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Holy shit

Again, this series is way more amazing then it has any right to be.
    Is Krese just pretty much Karate Satan at this point? Nothing to his plan other than sheer malevolence. My current theory in that regard is that he's going to go full Shredder, and goad the kids into comitting crimes for him, but even that feels magical christmasland with the intimate setting they've built

The 3rd season is Johnny and Danny putting their feud aside to take Krese down with help obviously. Just....how???

Glad Dmitri finally got a badass moment.

That whole last episode, with everything boiling over into a martial wars through the school, in utter shock.

Honestly, the biggest dumb moment for me was Johnny ignoring the lady that was obviously into him and shared some interests with to pursue Miguel's mom, which I get why, but I just don't see all the chemistry there.

Otherwise, like any good Fiasco, this ended with everyone feeling sullied, and someone in the hospital.

Give. More. Now.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Man they need to make the seasons longer or give more money to the company. Google needs to drop a few million to get us a new season fast.

That was very awesome.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Ugh....another year for more Cobra Kai awesomeness! What a great second season. A lot of character development, some nice callbacks, corny teen drama, and...

Ending Spoiler:
    ...the telegraph for Ali next season?

Edit: Actually, we absolutely will see her. In season 1, Daniel and Johnny were at a bar drinking and talked about her. When they pulled up her Facebook page it showed that she was a Pediatric Surgeon. After Miguel's injury, there's no way they don't bring her in to work on him.

I guess it all depends on if Elizabeth Shue is on board. Can't imagine she wouldn't want to give the show a shot, especially considering how positive it's being reviewed.

Edit: updated thoughts in the spoiler.

MNC Dover on
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    So Kreese
    I wish they'd explain what happened between him and his multi millionaire friend losing a karate match led to him living in a VA halfway house. I kind of figured his story would be over once they explained he was full of shit, or at least they'd explain him owning the rights to Cobra Kai and taking the gym through legal means. It's not like it's a HUGE plothole but it's still a plothole.

Also for the love of god someone get Hawk back in line. You can be a badass and still watch Doctor Who. Come on Hawk, you got this.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    THIS SHOW.

It is not going to get any awards or any love, but fuck it's good.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    John Kreese as like the evil Yoda of karate is so cool. Especially his stupid stories about training people in various wars.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Johnny learning about the internet for the first time is chef kiss round house

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Oh no Kreese is sympathetic

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Quietly, or maybe not so quietly, making the women of this show the real world morality compass, is great!

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    holy shit is this a reunion of the original cobra Kai?!?!?!?!???!?

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    I know you’re excited @MegaMan001 , but you should put your thoughts in spoilers for the time being.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I know you’re excited @MegaMan001 , but you should put your thoughts in spoilers for the time being.

The thread title states "Open Spoilers"?

EDIT: No, sorry, editing them right now. But for what it's worth the reason I post in pop culture threads in D&D rather than SE++ is because most of them are open spoilers. I don't understand the point of having a thread on a topic and then having posts just quoting ever growing spoiler trees.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    For some reason Ralph Macchio getting first billing in the credits over William Zabka really bothers me.

• Options
    You can post open spoilers if the thread is tagged but please don’t post six times in a row, there’s no call for that.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    Fair enough, but Season 2 Episode 9 deserves its own post.

Amanda: Hi, I'm Amanda.

Carmen: Carmen, I love your earrings.

Amanda: Oh, thank you.

<Daniel and Johnny are stupid>

Waitress: Do you know each other?

Amanda: Oh, they have warring karate dojos.

I was watching Season 2 tonight with my partner and it was just stark how there is this little universe Johnny and Daniel and Kreese have created that somehow exists out of normal spacetime. Anyone who looked at what was going on would just shake their heads and laugh, which is what every adult woman does in the show. The viewer gets drawn into these insane YA "Hunger Games" shit, only to be reminded an episode later how goddamn stupid this entire feud is.

It's marvelous storytelling and it's gonna get no respect and no rewards and the story revels in that.

Johnny is a fucking moron for building this chip on his shoulder over a single tournament (which he won or was a runner up in the previous years) determining his entire life just as Daniel is a fucking moron for letting one year of his life determine his entire post primary education trajectory. Daniel, at some point, built an entire business hand in hand with Amanda, but somehow that's just not good enough. He needs to do more to honor...well I don't know if it's Miyagi or the Miyagi Myth, but he just up and decides to create a dojo and ignore his family and responsibilities to fulfill some weirdly cosmic responsibility that he's created for himself.

It's all just so good and I love how every time you're drawn into this fantasy world something shows up to shatter the veneer.

EDIT: Literally five minutes later Johnny and Daniel are waxing about how big their classes are, while failing to point out to each other - they are teaching the same goddamn class. Johnny has seen first hand how generational male toxicity just fucks anyone it comes into contact with and Daniel is teaching the same lessons, but from the point of view of the victim. While all this is happening, Amanda breaks the tension with an exasperated "Oh, okay, this is happening?" Just this dumbfounded exasperated expression.

Courtney Henggeler has been quietly carrying this show for a really long time as the voice of reason and "Are we really having conversations about a fucking karate tournament that happened 31 years ago you fucking children".

She deserves some recognition and goddamn is she not going to get any.

MegaMan001 on
  • Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    Just started watching the second season. Liking it so far.

"Shouldn't be too hard to correct the pupils." What a line.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Just finished binging season one. Quite entertaining! Looking forward to starting season two shortly.

Thought it was interesting that Miguel crane kicked a random opponent early in the tournament, but almost nothing was made of it. I don't really understand what's going on with the illegal moves and penalties or lack thereof, apparently you still get a point for an illegal kick to the head? I guess you're effectively allowed one illegal strike per match (since he also does one against Robby and penalized in any real way)? That seems shitty considering that most matches seemed to be first to two points.

Really hope that the Kreese that shows up at the end of season one is just a ghost in Johnny's brain that's arrived to torment him as punishment for Miguel's success. Guess I'll find out where that goes in season two.