As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy [Cobra Kai] (open spoilers)

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I need to check out of this thread until I catch up. Only 7 pages so should be able to read everything after I do. But at the end of season 1, and I'm shocked, but I'm loving Johnny so much. He's still kind of an asshole, but I feel for him. And think he's doing a good job with his past hurting his present even though he hasn't done anything to warrant it.

I hope they don't make me hate him by the time I catch up.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So I mentioned this when Season 2 first came out, but did anyone else get the sense that they were going for a Hamilton ending?

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    So I mentioned this when Season 2 first came out, but did anyone else get the sense that they were going for a Hamilton ending?

What do you mean? I don't recall any school wide Karate fights in Hamilton.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    More like Romeo and Juliet with Crane Kicks

Or an anime by way of the American 1980s

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Daniel Nd Johnny drinking was the best thing ever. And then the intro to d2 e10. My god.

• Options
    I really am glad they didn't pussy it away in season 1. Maybe I'm rooting for the bad guys, but they're awesome

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The best scene in the entire series is everyone at dinner together at the Mexican restaurant.

Amanda's deadpan,"Oh, they run warring karate dojos." Kills me.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

What do you mean? I don't recall any school wide Karate fights in Hamilton.

The plot of Hamilton involves two rival orphan characters who are basically mirror images of each other in a lot of ways, but Hamilton is the overactive "I'm not throwing away my shot" guy who's hungry for war whereas Burr is the "wait for it guy" guy who prefers to be cautious and stand in the sidelines.

The climax happens when the two come to a final confrontation, after being unable to resolve their differences. But at a key moment, both of them act out of character. Hamilton pauses and dies. Burr panics and fires first. Both characters are ruined.

Cobra Kai is about two rivals who both lacked a father figure. One of them masters a school that's all about aggression, and the other masters a school that's all about defense. But in the key battle, both of them do the opposite. Miguel shows mercy, while Robbie loses control.

• Options
    Got it. Makes sense now.

I think it would work better if it was Johnny/Daniel squaring off though as both Robbie and Miguel are shown to be incredibly impulsive throughout the series. I totally get where you're coming from now though.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    In regards to Daniel and Johnny...

https://youtu.be/wAjG-IOTtTA

They both need to fix themselves before they can help their students.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Fuck, episode 6 of season 2 done. This show is so fucking good.

• Options
    If Johnny ever turns into an asshole I'm done with this show. Feel for him so much. Daniel can suck an Audi sized dick though

• Options
    Danny is just a dick. He won't even listen and just judges Johnny

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I love when new people come into the thread and experience the episodes in a string of posts, with a wide range of emotions. It shows the care in the writing.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Just found out Cobra Kai primarily films in Atlanta. Apparently in one scene there's an item with a Publix logo despite the company only having locations in six southeastern states.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Basically everything is filmed in either Atlanta or Vancouver.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »

Yeah, he's a dick to Johnny and the way he pretty much tosses all his responsibilities aside and neglects his dealership and wife (with some straight up embezzlement in there too!) to run his dojo shows he's definitely not as balanced as he thinks he is. But I know that's sort of the point.

I am glad that they didn't really make him fall all the way...although I wince thinking about the lawsuits that would be coming for all the kids injured in the fight. I imagine the jail / prison time / expulsions / lawsuits that would follow a fight like that in real live will be handwaved away in S3 though.

I think everyone has to agree though, that the best two scenes in this show are when Danny and Johnny are drinking in S1, and the Mexican Restaurant in S2. Amanda's whole 'Jesus Christ, I love you but it's just karate, grow up' attitude is exactly right.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Everytime Daniel's wife (I forget her name currently) describes the overall conflict of the show it slays me. "rival karate schools" and stuff like that. It uderscores the fact that while the conflict Daniel and Johnny feel seems big to them, to outside observers it's pretty absurd.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

Yeah, he's a dick to Johnny and the way he pretty much tosses all his responsibilities aside and neglects his dealership and wife (with some straight up embezzlement in there too!) to run his dojo shows he's definitely not as balanced as he thinks he is. But I know that's sort of the point.

I am glad that they didn't really make him fall all the way...although I wince thinking about the lawsuits that would be coming for all the kids injured in the fight. I imagine the jail / prison time / expulsions / lawsuits that would follow a fight like that in real live will be handwaved away in S3 though.

I think everyone has to agree though, that the best two scenes in this show are when Danny and Johnny are drinking in S1, and the Mexican Restaurant in S2. Amanda's whole 'Jesus Christ, I love you but it's just karate, grow up' attitude is exactly right.

tbh any lawsuits against the dojos would probably have a hard time gaining traction.

It wouldn't be easy to find a way to prove liability on the part of the dojos.

If there was some way to get Kreese's students to testify it'd be a bit easier but with the cult-like atmosphere I don't see that happening.

• Options
    HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    The actresses who play Daniel's wife and Miguel's mom BOTH deserve a lot more screen time and growth, but honestly, they are too reasonable for what is, essentially, an 80's movie brought forth and given life. I don't know how you WOULD give them bigger roles without it basically being an expansion of what they are post S2 in the "shut it all down" department.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I read somewhere Aisha might not be back in season 3. Which is bullshit if true, seeing as she was the second Cobra Kai student and so far has been criminally underutilized for someone who was Daniel's daughter's friend.

Apparently she announced on instagram that she wasn't in it because they couldn't find a place to put her in the script, whatever that means.

That is both infuriating and unsurprising, considering how much less of a role she had in the second season.

• Options
    Aisha is the natural bridge between the dojo's too. Maybe balance would be the best word. She took her aggression and used it to take back control of her life, but didn't go so far as Hawk or even Miguel. Honestly, I'll have to wait and see what the writers do, they've earned a fair bit of good will in seasons 1 and 2, but this seems like missing the most obvious logical link to pull the dojo's together.

That this SEEMS like an obvious path may be why they don't want to go down it. Making it Johnny Kai + Miyagi-do vs Kreese Kai seems a bit too much like a simplistic good vs evil that the show has spent multiple seasons completely avoiding and painting both sides as very right and VERY stupid at times. Honestly, I think the only way that works is with a lesson that the idea that these folks need to stop "the evil dojo" is silly, and they need to learn Karate for themselves, which was essentially Miyagi's entire original point that Daniel lost.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular

tbh any lawsuits against the dojos would probably have a hard time gaining traction.

If there was some way to get Kreese's students to testify it'd be a bit easier but with the cult-like atmosphere I don't see that happening.

Yeah the dojos themselves might be hard to sue (someone would probably try though!). But literally every kid there is now guilty of aggravated assault at the least if not attempted murder, and with a kid in a coma and it happening at a school in broad daylight there’s no way any of that just gets waved off.

• Options
    The school is completely effed lawsuit wise. Not only did they have staff members run away, they had one ACTIVELY participating in the brawl.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    Hydropolo wrote: »
    The school is completely effed lawsuit wise. Not only did they have staff members run away, they had one ACTIVELY participating in the brawl.

He wasn't hired yet, he was just being interviewed.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Almost done with season 2. Chubbs if my favorite character

RickRude on
  • Options
    No no no no. Miguel showed Mercy. Wtf are you doing. Fuck you Daniel and fuck you miagii do dojo. Fuck robbie and fuck daniel. Johnny's the better man.

• Options
    Fuck this, johnny is a good man sio is migeuel.

Johnny is a good man

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

Yeah the dojos themselves might be hard to sue (someone would probably try though!). But literally every kid there is now guilty of aggravated assault at the least if not attempted murder, and with a kid in a coma and it happening at a school in broad daylight there’s no way any of that just gets waved off.

Oh yeah, every single one of those dipshits should be facing charges for sure.

• Options
    Kreese is homeless where does he even have money? I get to catch up on this thread in about 10 minutes

• Options

They'd just go to karate court anyway. With Judge Hillary Swank.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

They'd just go to karate court anyway. With Judge Hillary Swank.

Instead of a gavel, it's just karate-chopping a hardwood base.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Kreese is homeless where does he even have money? I get to catch up on this thread in about 10 minutes

I don't think money really matters in this show except for when it does.

One week of teaching a dozen kids karate got Johnny enough money to back back Ed Asner a lifetime of borrowed money. While simultaneously paying for a pretty sick custom job on his Challenger.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    It’s implied Kreese did some kind of fuckery while Johnny was doing that last ride with Bobby and the old Cobra Kais. When Johnny got back, Kreese had organized and redecorated the office.

That doesn’t explain the money, but there was setup for Kreese having an opportunity to steal the dojo from under Johnny while he was distracted.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    It's only implied that Johnny's landlord was sick of him for whatever reasons and wanted to screw him.

As far as Johnny's possessions. Other than the paint job or his flat screen I don't think he bought anything else?

Car was free, same apartment same clothes.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    It’s implied Kreese did some kind of fuckery while Johnny was doing that last ride with Bobby and the old Cobra Kais. When Johnny got back, Kreese had organized and redecorated the office.

That doesn’t explain the money, but there was setup for Kreese having an opportunity to steal the dojo from under Johnny while he was distracted.

Yeah, essentially it sounds like Kreese got the landlord to actually sign a contract with him, hence the emphasis throughout the season of the “handshake” deal. As Johnny had nothing in his name, while he was gone Kreese got everything put in writing with his name.

As for the money, time is hard to gauge in the first season but it takes place essentially over a school year so it is possible for his dojo to eventually become successful and him get some money from that.

• Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited November 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    It's only implied that Johnny's landlord was sick of him for whatever reasons and wanted to screw him.

As far as Johnny's possessions. Other than the paint job or his flat screen I don't think he bought anything else?

Car was free, same apartment same clothes.

The TV reminds me that Johnny is arguably at the lowest point of his life right now.

Everything he gained since episode one is gone; his relationship with Carmen and Miguel, his students, dojo, car, phone, all gone. Even his TV got smashed in the brawl with Daniel.

Edit: My god, how could I forget about his own son Robby running away after what happened to Miguel. Plus watching Johnny’s entire concept of “badass,” which he bases his persona upon, being absolutely shattered.

Talk about a despair event horizon.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    this is a pretty good, solid piece that covers some stuff people have already said here, in a pleasantly chill and gimmick-free way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNR-Arqw-n4

I'm just catching up on this thread after finishing s2
    This was a really good video and I'm watching some of his other videos on cobra kai. I want more, directly into my veins. I binged both seasons I'm under a week. I'm addicted now.

• Options
    Matev wrote: »
    Holy shit

Again, this series is way more amazing then it has any right to be.
    Is Krese just pretty much Karate Satan at this point? Nothing to his plan other than sheer malevolence. My current theory in that regard is that he's going to go full Shredder, and goad the kids into comitting crimes for him, but even that feels magical christmasland with the intimate setting they've built

The 3rd season is Johnny and Danny putting their feud aside to take Krese down with help obviously. Just....how???

Glad Dmitri finally got a badass moment.

That whole last episode, with everything boiling over into a martial wars through the school, in utter shock.

Honestly, the biggest dumb moment for me was Johnny ignoring the lady that was obviously into him and shared some interests with to pursue Miguel's mom, which I get why, but I just don't see all the chemistry there.

Otherwise, like any good Fiasco, this ended with everyone feeling sullied, and someone in the hospital.

Give. More. Now.

I kept watching that scene expecting her to rob him. She hit on him from the get go and I though she was a hooker or something. Turns out she was just a nice lady that liked johnny. And besides, miguel's mom is hot and knows how to cook. You don't pass up cooking like that.

• Options
    Did anyone try the game?