As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RAGE 2] appears to be a definite shift in tone from the original

• Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    There was a patch today and the first item in the notes was the removal of Denuvo :rotate:

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I just finished and uh... i guess I enjoyed it but wow that was short and I feel kinda ripped off? I did a fair chunk of side stuff, i was by no means rushing the main story and it took me 13 hours roughly total..ouch. (And yes dynamic resolution makes the game look like blurry ass even when you're significantly ahead of the framerate it should be lowering anything at and should just be turned off imo)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I love how you smash rocks when you drive, also coming across bandit bases where they’re like cheering at a fighting ring in the middle. World feels quite alive to me, especially with gun fights and car fights going by all the time, and seeing allies driving around too

Also 13 hours is fine for me personally, I’m getting sick of long campaigns, but I can see how it would be disappointing

My main complaint so far is it’s a pain in the ass to melee boxes

Also running into a frequent glitch where hud elements disappear, like the rain recticle

Prohass on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    13 hours used to be considered a long game. Wolfenstein TNO took me 8 hours to finish, and Doom was about the same. I think Ubisoft and Rockstar have kinda ruined the open world genre with games taking 50 or even 100 hours to complete and it's just become the expected open world game length. Sometimes you do want to finish something.

However, they do have at least 2 story DLC packs with whole new areas coming (I say at least because these are only a couple of months out and Bethesda says there's over a year of support planned) so if you want more of the game, it's coming.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    There’s so many sound glitches, particularly what sounds like debris getting stuck in geometry then making a god awful racket until you leave the area

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I love the more curated and hand crafted nature of the outposts. Like there’s random outposts you can find where you have dialogue and kind of cut scene moments happen. Like going up an elevator and having it stop every few floors to have a shoot out and then move on. Open world games need more of that, instead of just plonking down a few goons in an area and saying done

Whether it’s seeing a goon throw a guy off a balcony, seeing a fight club, there’s lots of these personalised touches to the outposts, like I’m not asking for much with other games, just give me some little unique element like these to make each place I visit stand out. Very impressed by that

Prohass on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Most annoying sound glitch is when speech just doesn't happen. I always play games with subtitles on, so I can at least read it, but it's pretty annoying when you're in a conversation and the other person decides to just flap their lips for a while.

Also, the Denuvo thing is hilarious in the Steam comments. At launch - Denuvo is terrible I'm not buying this game because of Denuvo, going to *preferred pirate site*. Devs - we noticed a few complaints, and removed Denuvo. After patch - game sucks it shouldn't have had Denuvo at all I'm not buying it.

Like they called the communities bluff on pirating the game because of Denuvo, and new excuses were found.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Pirates gonna pirate.

• Options
    I love the slowmo when you kill your first guy, especially when it slows down when you run over someone

• Options
    The frame drops during that story race made the game feel real crusty

• Options
    Does it happen in other races? Because it put me off doing more. The games pretty buttery smooth outside of that race.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Is it possible to auto craft consumables? I hate having to craft wingsticks and grenades one at a time in a menu

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Prohass wrote: »
    Is it possible to auto craft consumables? I hate having to craft wingsticks and grenades one at a time in a menu

On PC, if you have enough to do something in multiples, there's generally a 'Press [F] to buy/sell/etc X amount'. Like buying ammo in groups of 40 instead of 1. Does crafting not do that?

I'm really not sure how people are finishing this in such a short amount of time. I'm 7 hours in, I've still only got the pistol, assault rifle and shotgun, I've only just unlocked my first other car, only taken down I think two outposts, and one Abadon giant. And that's only really around Vineland and Gunbarell. I've only done the three story missions you get out of the gate, I've only got 2 Accession powers, my Phoenix is n't even half upgraded, my Accession powers are barely upgraded.

I get that the game world is small. I like the word used earlier - curated. Not like, say, Just Cause 3's massive expanses of nothing. There's lots of little nooks and crannies with places to explore and deceptively a lot to unlock. Also getting side tracked when I see fights on the side of the road. Really need that ejector seat to join the fights quicker.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    This game isn't quite hitting it with me, which is weird because it has things I like, like upgrading everything and shooting mechanics that have that... I have no idea how to describe it but just the kind of weight games like Wolfenstein and DOOM have (which is obvious) and also superpowers but I dunno. I think it's the (PC) controls and I need to do what I hate doing and rebind some stuff because the ctrl for everything fucks me up in fights a lot of the time.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Beezel wrote: »
    There was a patch today and the first item in the notes was the removal of Denuvo :rotate:

I'm both astonished they backpedaled so quickly and quite pleased, because maybe now I'll actually seriously consider getting the game.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular

I'm both astonished they backpedaled so quickly and quite pleased, because maybe now I'll actually seriously consider getting the game.
    Call me a cynic but it seems likely they only did it because they accidentally released an un-denuvod version that was instantly cracked so there was no more keeping it from pirates anyway...

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Sekiro did that also, by "accidentally" leaving a tester version of the executable in a public branch on steam. The optimist in me wants to believe some devs know it makes their games run jank so they're rebelling a little from within regardless of whatever the publisher mandates.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I have to wonder how publishers even get info about Denuvo, considering it's existed pointlessly for so long. At the very very best it just adds extra cost to the game, because it sure as fuck isn't going to stop pirates. At worst, it actively interferes with the game. So who the fuck is going around selling Denuvo to moron publishers, convincing them it somehow does anything at all despite years of evidence to the contrary?

• Options
    Looking at the DLC roadmap again, and the first paid expansion brings back the Ghosts from the first game. They were fun to fight with all their acrobatics, so it'll be fun to see if they replicate that. There's the odd enemy type that throws a curve ball at you. The Shrouded have an invisible ninja with swords that will just sit there all day cutting the bullets as you shoot at him like fucken Deadpool.

Earlier it was said explosions look great in this. They look even better at night, as do firefights in general. I was driving along and saw blue tracer rounds flickering across the desert, and firebacks flying back at them with massive glowing explosions, and noticed it was a pretty big fight between Authority and Muties. I actually sat back a minute and just watched.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

Call me a cynic but it seems likely they only did it because they accidentally released an un-denuvod version that was instantly cracked so there was no more keeping it from pirates anyway...
    This isn't exactly the first time devs removed denuvo, it a huge hit on performance and loading times.
    https://youtu.be/n_DD-txK9_Q

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Looking at the DLC roadmap again, and the first paid expansion brings back the Ghosts from the first game. They were fun to fight with all their acrobatics, so it'll be fun to see if they replicate that. There's the odd enemy type that throws a curve ball at you. The Shrouded have an invisible ninja with swords that will just sit there all day cutting the bullets as you shoot at him like fucken Deadpool.

Earlier it was said explosions look great in this. They look even better at night, as do firefights in general. I was driving along and saw blue tracer rounds flickering across the desert, and firebacks flying back at them with massive glowing explosions, and noticed it was a pretty big fight between Authority and Muties. I actually sat back a minute and just watched.

An entire new enemy type might get me to buy the season pass, as well as if it has new areas

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Finally bought this last night, played through maybe the first 30 minutes or so and finished a couple of Ark outposts. Not quite sure how I feel about it yet honestly.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I have to wonder how publishers even get info about Denuvo, considering it's existed pointlessly for so long. At the very very best it just adds extra cost to the game, because it sure as fuck isn't going to stop pirates. At worst, it actively interferes with the game. So who the fuck is going around selling Denuvo to moron publishers, convincing them it somehow does anything at all despite years of evidence to the contrary?

To be honest I think they use it less to stop pirates (because it is a Fool's Errand) and more to just appease investors who don't know any better.

Like I would not be surprised in the least if Denuvo advertised themselves more towards big key investors instead of to Devs/Publishers specifically.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Axen wrote: »

To be honest I think they use it less to stop pirates (because it is a Fool's Errand) and more to just appease investors who don't know any better.

Like I would not be surprised in the least if Denuvo advertised themselves more towards big key investors instead of to Devs/Publishers specifically.

I'm just looking for right genitals to punch for getting this shit forced on us pointlessly.

I suppose I could start with the publishers and work my way over to the investors before going over to the Denuvo devs themselves. No chance for failure that way.

• Options

An entire new enemy type might get me to buy the season pass, as well as if it has new areas

The Ghosts paid DLC expansions says:
    New story
    New enemy faction
    Weapons
    Abilities
    Vehicles
    Areas to explore

So it sounds pretty substantial. The second just has the ‘new enemy faction’ missing from that list, though that might just be because they haven’t settled on a new faction to introduce.

• Options
    I’m hoping you can reset outposts cos there’s a few achievements I haven’t gotten like the zip line one that I’m worried about missing

• Options
    New Game+ would be nice.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Also they did a 'reoccupy the map' for Just Cause 3 so you could go redo everything after finishing the game with all your unlocks. So it's been done in the engine.

I hope with the DLC they make the outposts and such a bit bigger. I find that by the time my bloods pumping and I'm getting into a fight, it's over.

I just noticed that the game only populates the question marks on the map when you drive past, so some areas are getting super cluttered with stuff to do now.

Also I just found the doctor 8 hours in. So many upgrades in this game. Each gun, your car, the three projects, your Nanotrite suit, your Accession abilities... Just so much to keep upgrading.

edit - Deluxe Edition includes the Rise of the Ghosts expansion? Nice!

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Something that’s criminally lacking is wildlife. You have those kind of buffalo creatures and that’s it. The setting is begging for all sorts of mutant wildlife to fight

And is it just me or is the whole north section of the map completely underused? It’s awesome visually too, and has some great outposts and locations, it just seems like the story doesn’t use it

Also you can play most of the game and miss some of the ark powers and guns, I feel like they should have been put more directly in your path in the story

Prohass on
  • Options
    Some of the most interesting elements of the game desperately need fleshing out, for instance in the south settlement
    finding friendly Shrouded was a shock, and you learn all their culture and ideology and such, its super interesting but never really explored outside of some brief dialogue and codex entries

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Something that’s criminally lacking is wildlife. You have those kind of buffalo creatures and that’s it. The setting is begging for all sorts of mutant wildlife to fight

And is it just me or is the whole north section of the map completely underused? It’s awesome visually too, and has some great outposts and locations, it just seems like the story doesn’t use it

Also you can play most of the game and miss some of the ark powers and guns, I feel like they should have been put more directly in your path in the story

They've apparently got over a year of support planned. My guess is free missions in the underused areas, like they did with Assassins Creed Odyssey. Also the bounty board is clearly something they can add new stuff to.

They very clearly want you to explore the map. The map is empty at the start, and you don't see the question marks for locations until you drive past. Then you only see what those are when you approach. It's sad that they didn't make the map more visually appealing because people clearly aren't exploring the map if they're finishing it in under 20 hours, and there's some great stuff in there. I'm enjoying reading the data slates.

I finally got my Smart Rocket Launcher last night. Fuck yes.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I’m up the what I assume is the end mission and have done a fair chunk of side content and I’m still missing the grav gun and some other gun. Luckily all the guns are fantastic, the shotguns great but I think this might be my all time favourite assault rifle in an FPS

Also yeah the rocket launcher is great, normally I don’t used rocket launchers in FPS games but this one has such gorgeous explosions and gore it’s a treat to use

Some of the random areas are so awesome, like little stories that having their own setup. It makes up for the shorter campaign for me, like in the southern desert you find a shrouded power station
    and you can see them planning at map tables and read their writings before you tear up the base

But yeah they definitely need to throw more enemies at you in any future dlc. When you’ve got enough powers and weapons and upgrades you cut through enemies so quickly most battles are over in ten seconds

Prohass on
  • Options
    I’ve been deliberately leaving Outposts to do when I have all my powers and guns. They’re the bigger fights so I can experiment with stuff.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Spent yesterday Ark hunting and I now have all but two guns (don’t have the hyper cannon in the shrouded Ark or the settler pistol from the DLC) and every Accession power. Combat gets real fun when you have access to everything.

Saw a review that said they probably should have given you every power from the start and lock upgrades in the Arks and it’s hard to argue with that.

Also drove around The Wilds a lot and there’s a lot to do in there, but most of the areas are off on little, hard to see side tracks that are far enough from the main road that they don’t show up sometimes driving around.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Spent yesterday Ark hunting and I now have all but two guns (don’t have the hyper cannon in the shrouded Ark or the settler pistol from the DLC) and every Accession power. Combat gets real fun when you have access to everything.

Saw a review that said they probably should have given you every power from the start and lock upgrades in the Arks and it’s hard to argue with that.

Also drove around The Wilds a lot and there’s a lot to do in there, but most of the areas are off on little, hard to see side tracks that are far enough from the main road that they don’t show up sometimes driving around.

The wild also has one of the best convoys, king squisha, it’s like a boss fight on wheels. You have to move from side to side to avoid a gun turret that rotates sides, and when it’s on one side the weak spot is on the other, and the turret is super deadly so you really have to pay attention. I thought it was a phenomenal fight

I feel like they could have gotten away with integrating a lot of this side stuff into the main campaign to flesh it out a bit more since it’s quite high quality. There’s some great gameplay and lore stuff in the side quests. The person who wrote some of the shrouded lore needs a promotion, they’re like something out of 40k

Prohass on
  • Options
    The unfortunate part is a lot of people will miss all that. I read a lot from people who finish the game with only the rifle and shotgun, which tells me people aren’t exploring the world.

Overall I think they just made the requirement to get the second set of missions too low. They should have at least tied them to completing all of the Arks to make sure people get to experience all of the combat.

• Options
    Yeah I appreciate their dedication to letting players explore but I’ve played like 80% of the game and haven’t found the barrier power, which I really wanted, nor the gravity gun. It’s bad design because I only know they exist because I followed the promos for the game. It just seems counter productive to getting positive word of mouth if half your most fun powers and weapons are quite hard to find even if you’re looking, let alone stumbling up them naturally

• Options
    Remember there is a vendor that sells the Ark locations for $250 a pop.

Unfortunately I don’t think it filters out Arks you have found already and they seem to be random.

But yeah tying progress to the arcs rather than the projects would have been smarter design. Or have project levels ‘unlock’ Arks and then open their location on the map at each level.

Hiding core gameplay features and expecting gamers to just explore and find them wasn’t good design.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Came across an area near the earthscar ark and I swear about 20 goons and shrouded were just duking it out in a massive street battle, was so awesome to watch

Man scratch that try 50, just street after street of running battles. So awesome. They should have made the game more about a wider war with bigger battles rather than just focusing on the authority. Lot of room to grow I hope this does well, I want a rage 3 or big expansion

Prohass on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Axen wrote: »

This is exactly what it is. I deal with this all the time as a lead engineer. I'll tell an executive or an account manager that what they are asking will cost money, for no benefit, and may actively harm the user experience. If they think it will somehow protect the bottom line or please a higher exec or investor, they'll push it through anyway. Like most areas in life, there is a lot of blowing smoke up peoples asses in any line of business.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling