As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A thread presumably about [Giant Bomb]

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    always skip through gbwest talking about nintendo.

the brad pessimism hour is not very enjoyable.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    always skip through gbwest talking about nintendo.

the brad pessimism hour is not very enjoyable.

I mean there's a fair bit to be down on Nintendo about. What was the particular thing in question? I haven't made it through the bombcast yet this week.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I dont remember brad being that bad about nintendo. He said that they've had some really off consoles and have never been on top of online play. Both of which are just true.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    oh I was meaning more like Jeff being down on the Switch but I get it, that console is not for him. But man, portable Doom, portable FF7, portable FFX, etc etc etc. is VERY appealing to me and my current life style.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Jeff doesn't care for the Switch because one of its best functions is portability and he drives everywhere.

But if we're talking about that email that asked what would have happened if Nintendo didn't get another hardware hit, Brad's point still stands: they have had a record of "the good/successful console, then the bad/underperforming console, then the good console again" for a little while now.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I have a switch, it has never once left its dock. i still like it as a console cause nintendo makes good games.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Just heard the segment. Dan specifically saying he wishes Spider-Man was more like John Matrix is so on brand for the dude, I even said it in this thread a few days ago (though it was more specifically about Dan's beef with Spider-Man Homecoming being too soft of a movie). Also John Matrix and Spidey are similar in that they both are known for making jokes and puns before defeating their enemies.

When Dan is comparing the game unfavorably to the new Bubsy, that might be a problem. I'm just glad everyone else in the room vocally opposed Dan's opinion.

Also Dan is totally just Mac from IASIP, isn't he?

It was quite amusing listening to Alex and Abby dissect and point out exactly why Dan was wrong for his opinion.

“You have a very limited definition of Bad-ass. Not everyone needs to be a musclebound dickbag”

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Dan's insistence about icebergs not being known to move really grated on me. Did anyone bother going to the wiki page and reading Dan the description of what an iceberg is?

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Dan doubles down, film at 11.

This was at least quadrupling down

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Just seeing the episode description mention how icebergs work has me on edge to listen to this

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I wonder what Dan thinks of Norm MacDonald lately

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    The coin needs to come back in stock and they need to sell these so we can BRING BACK POGS

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

:?

Norm is still great, did you actually read the full text of what he said a couple days ago? He wasn't making excuses for people and for the stuff he was a out of touch on he super realized how insensitive he was being and feels genuinely bad about it. On The View yesterday Whoopi tried to start asking him about his new netflix show and Norm said he didn't really feel comfortable trying to advertise for it due to what had happened and only wanted to focus on how he was being insensitive.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

Norm is still great, did you actually read the full text of what he said a couple days ago? He wasn't making excuses for people and for the stuff he was a out of touch on he super realized how insensitive he was being and feels genuinely bad about it. On The View yesterday Whoopi tried to start asking him about his new netflix show and Norm said he didn't really feel comfortable trying to advertise for it due to what had happened and only wanted to focus on how he was being insensitive.

I hadn't read these updates, no. That's good to hear.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    "Can't everyone be John Matrix?" is a pretty good line. T-shirt worthy even, I'd say.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

???

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Aistan wrote: »

???

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/13/arts/television/norm-macdonald-down-syndrome.html
    https://deadline.com/2018/09/norm-macdonald-the-view-down-syndrome-comment-unforgivable-1202463973/
    https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/norm-macdonald-down-syndrome-pc_us_5b9a9610e4b01151973bd1fd
    https://tvline.com/2018/09/13/norm-macdonald-down-syndrome-controversy-the-view-video/

etc etc

Norm's problem is he's naive and always has been. He thinks the world is mostly filled with good people and that people will read the full statement, get context, not fly off the handle, etc. Now he's apologizing for an apology he made and he specifically said that's a bad look. He was on Stern and he got rilled up and was trying to show how clear it is that these woman got fucked over. It's like people who say 'retarded' now, the world has changed. I'm not making excuses for Norm but at least he immediately understood he did something that is not socially acceptable and wants to learn and change and grow. (actually Dan tends to be like this too)

I stand by my Norm is great comment, he's just from another time.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular

I hadn't read these updates, no. That's good to hear.

Even if he hadn't made any apology, Dan wouldn't give a shit. He'd handwave it away with a 'yeah that stuff he said sucks but he's still awesome'

For better or worse, Dan is perfectly willing and able to completely compartmentalize different parts of a celebrity's personality/actions.

• Options
    In happier news, looks like Alex is jumping back into Mega Man today.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Dan is good at compartmentalizing the output of people he likes from their shitty actions/views, up to a point.

I'm not. I didn't know about that apology for the apology, but at this point right now it's too late. Just... stop talking, dude. Lots of people are from other times and know better than to say or do certain things. I've got plenty of comedians who aren't idiots to fill my entertainment needs.

Dan is also an idiot but at least he's endearing about it. Icebergs... oh, you knucklehead I can't get mad at you.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Dan is good at compartmentalizing the output of people he likes from their shitty actions/views, up to a point.

I'm not. I didn't know about that apology for the apology, but at this point right now it's too late. Just... stop talking, dude. Lots of people are from other times and know better than to say or do certain things. I've got plenty of comedians who aren't idiots to fill my entertainment needs.

Dan is also an idiot but at least he's endearing about it. Icebergs... oh, you knucklehead I can't get mad at you.

I think it's scale and tone. For example, he has been quite vocal on about shitty wrasslers who he thinks suck now. Like loudly saying "fuck that guy" about hulk Hogan in a wrestling based video within the past few months.

But there's something smaller and more personal about Hogan or Warrior and they shit they said and did verses, say, Vince. His bad deeds are large scale and far reaching and, at times, might not even seem traceable back to him "it's just the business." I think that, for a lot of people, expands past their scope of recollection or caring and it's why they, and Dan, can seemingly be ok with one and not the other. If a crime is so big, it's not even really a crime anymore, it's just government/business/how things work is many people's thinking.

Like Trump right now, and people talking about tapes where he days the N-word. Who fucking cares?!? Everything else about that dude is racist and fucked up but well, maybe not or maybe he misspoke about this because I haven't heard him say you know, THAT word. THAT is what makes someone racist, not systematic attacks against entire peoples.

So for Norm, who knows? He stuck his foot deep in his goddamn mouth. And for some people, that's enough, write this dude off, everything else is fruit of the poison tree, no apology is enough, he had that in his head, it's what he feels in his heart. And you know what? I get it, especially these days. And then some people are gonna be good with the non-headline grabbing apology where he seems contrite. Ryan didn't mean to drop the hardest F on that stream...I mean Norm didn't mean what he said in that interview and has now clarified and apologized.

It's like you said, Aistan. Everyone has their own levels of compartmentalization that they have to deal with.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    In happier news, looks like Alex is jumping back into Mega Man today.

Yay!i love listening to the conversations that happen while they play.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Megaman 6 has a WEIRD set of robot masters.

Half of them are basically rehashes of elements used in previous games (Flame, Plant, Blizzard, Wind) and the other half are like historical warrior robots. (Including a samurai, a knight, a centaur (also mythical), and "Tomahawk Man")

• Options
    Megaman 6 has a WEIRD set of robot masters.

Half of them are basically rehashes of elements used in previous games (Flame, Plant, Blizzard, Wind) and the other half are like historical warrior robots. (Including a samurai, a knight, a centaur (also mythical), and "Tomahawk Man")

That's what happens when you let the fans make their own bosses.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    GBE mail bag:
    At least it was not a crossbow or brass knuckles.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    I mean, I think it's very intentional that Dan has said nothing about the Norm thing. Nor the Louis CK thing, now that I think about it. As a comedy nerd, I'm sure he's got opinions about both of these situations, but whether he chooses to share them publicly or not is his prerogative, I guess.

My main curiosity is Abby in all of this, considering how openly Dan adore(s/d) Norm, Louis, and other openly shitty people who make the things Dan likes. Then again, Abby still talks about how much she likes Hulk Hogan, so different strokes, for lack of a better term.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    GBE mail bag:

Uh, they got mailed weapons from a serial murderer once.

Another guy literally sent them trash, then promoted his Youtube on the flap of the box the trash came in.

The bar for bad gifts was set a while ago.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    I do not consider airsoft guns to be weapons, but otherwise agree about the trash bar.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    Any idea which mailbag has the trash? That sounds like a wonderful thing.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited September 2018
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbWE4qI2vLw

Full mailbag if you want all of it, starts at six minutes.

https://youtu.be/EJU-p-z-Oag?t=356

Kelor on
  • Options
    Rewatching old videos from when they moved back into the CBS building and good lord, 2012 Patrick looks so young!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    GBE mail bag:

Another guy literally sent them trash, then promoted his Youtube on the flap of the box the trash came in.

What!?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    GBE mail bag:

What!?

This link combined with the videos in Kelor's post:

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/about-that-mailbag-video-1818312/

Edit:
    Just to clarify they were airsoft guns/toys, not firearms.

GONG-00 on
    Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Vinny is a very funny dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pl_jRGrEcno

• Options
    Yeah, my phrasing may have implied the murderer sent GB the actual murder weapon, but he sent them toy guns. Apparently GB was contacted by police shortly after they put the video up and asked nicely for all the weapons to be delivered to them.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Ran into Dan and FOTS Pat Baer at Mike Drucker's comedy show tonight. Dan unsurprisingly knows a ton about shitty games

steam_sig.png

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular

There's a lot of things I like about Waypoint and I am super happy for all the success Austin has had there, but, I don't think I've ever heard him as joyful there as he was in that clip.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    In my opinion icebergs are known for moving around.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »
    In my opinion icebergs are known for moving around.

Icebergs don't have feet.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    GBE mail bag:

What!?

This link combined with the videos in Kelor's post:

https://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/about-that-mailbag-video-1818312/

Edit:
    Just to clarify they were airsoft guns/toys, not firearms.

Was the rifle also an air soft? I didn’t see the orange tip on the muzzle.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve