As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New England Politics [ME, VT, NH, MA, CT, RI]

13»

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Speaking of Baker, he's done! So now the question is will the magaheads get their wish and nominate a fascist to be his successor, and if so will the Democrats decide to run 9 candidates like they did in the 4th congressional district which means the candidate most favorable to business interest (i.e. a Republican in any other state) gets elected?

Massachusetts Democrats are particularly powerful these days which means that ambitious and unscrupulous people who want to cheat and steal will likely run as Democrats and could easily win if they can get a plurality of the electorate. Or will the Republicans find that unicorn and get another RINO who actually reminds the independents of the Baker administration instead of some frothing-at-the-mouth maga lunatic?

Part of the reason Baker decided not to run again was the party was going to try and primary him with a Trump advocate.

steam_sig.png
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited December 2021
    I dunno, that seems like the easy answer, but they've run some pretty rabid nutjobs in the past to no avail. Admittedly that was before the true craziness of our post 1/6 world, but I still suspect most primary Republicans would be willing to hold their nose and vote for him even if they don't like him. Independents (Unenrolled as we call 'em in Massachusetts not to confuse them with the Independent Party) can also vote in any primary of their choice which sometimes swings things to more moderate candidates.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I dunno, that seems like the easy answer, but they've run some pretty rabid nutjobs in the past to no avail. Admittedly that was before the true craziness of our post 1/6 world, but I still suspect most primary Republicans would be willing to hold their nose and vote for him even if they don't like him. Independents (Unenrolled as we call 'em in Massachusetts not to confuse them with the Independent Party) can also vote in any primary of their choice which sometimes swings things to more moderate candidates.

I was a registered independent in Mass when I lived there 4 years ago. Unenrolled is how it works in NH, didn't realize Mass switched to that style

steam_sig.png
    Afaik mass has had that method since 2000 when I first moved here. In fact, despite being unenrolled for years, somehow I got registered into the independent party the last time I checked my registration and had to go through a lot of trouble to change it back.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    edited October 2022
    The ads against Question 1 in Massachusetts are really pissing me off.

For those that don't know Question 1 in Massachusetts is talking about instituting a "millionaires" tax, basically taxing 4% of every dollar over earned over 1,000,000. They're obviously attacking it as "more taxes" on ordinary people even though most people will never see it, and even if they do it's only 4 cents on the dollar AFTER the million bucks they earn.

But it get's fucking worse because one of the things they feature is a cranberry farmer as if he's the fucking salt of the earth and just a poor man being put upon by an overbearing government. The cranberry bogs in Massachusetts are notorious tax havens and financial schemes that the obscenely rich hide their fortunes in. Any time some cranberry farmer tries to claim they're an "ordinary" person one should be extremely skeptical.

Lastly, they try the card of "going Galt": if MA tries to implement this tax the job makers will leave the state for other tax havens. What they don't mention is that of states that have an income tax Massachusetts is the odd on out that does not have a progressive tax. Most of these millionaires would have nowhere to go (other than income tax-free New Hampshire, but they've had the option for years to run away to NH and they still haven't.) Fact is the millionaires want the fashion of being able to live in Boston so in my humble opinion they should pay for the privilege of fucking up our economy so they can live in the fashionable parts of our state.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Getting a ton of No on Prop 5 here in Vermont. Like constantly.

I think they're afraid!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter