As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LOUIS LE PRINCE INVENTED [movie thread] SO EDISON HAD HIM KILLED

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    Moana probably has the highest density of songs I like in any Disney movie

I don't think there are any others whose soundtrack I will just listen to straight through

Fantasia?

no

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular

I don't think there are any others whose soundtrack I will just listen to straight through

Fantasia?

no

no, the songs in fantasia are very long, so moana probably has more songs

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I'm still partial to Part of Your World from The Little Mermaid.

I also think that Aladdin probably has the best end-to-end soundtrack out of all the Disney movies, just in terms of sheer listenability.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'm here for Aladdin being the best overall soundtrack. All kinds of good fuckin' tunes. And Robin Williams really brings it home.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    We had a tape of the Lion King soundtrack that I fuckin' loved as a kid.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3NoDEu7kpg

anyone who thinks there is a Disney song better than this is lying to themselves

I mean hellfire is pretty good, but only if you're watching it on youtube. If you've gotta struggle through shitty Hunchback just for one good song? Meh.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Honestly the most recent Disney stuff has had some pretty outstanding music

I would put songs from Moana, Coco and maybe even Frozen in a Disney Top 10

Coco is Pixar, btw

It's also very good and its still "Disney", but as far as Disney Animation Studios, the lineage is Tangled > Frozen > Moana

And Tangled also has some amazing songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJvlsHlSpo

The reprise is the part I like the most though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJNvZRAmeqY

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

Someone on Reddit already made a thread about the totally-legitimate user reviews. Found it very odd this film that has only shown in 500 theaters already has around 6000 user reviews (as much as Incredibles 2)

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Tube wrote: »
    I remember Home Improvement being pretty good, and am also a respected critic of accurate bowel movements in movies. For instance, in Season 2 Episode 13 of HBO's "The Sopranos", the noises associated with Tony's gastrointestinal distress do not accurately portray the noises associated with that condition.

Boy. I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

It's unwatchable trash

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular

Coco is Pixar, btw

It's also very good and its still "Disney", but as far as Disney Animation Studios, the lineage is Tangled > Frozen > Moana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTJvlsHlSpo

The reprise is the part I like the most though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJNvZRAmeqY
    I'm aware it is Pixar but Pixar is Disney so suck a butt!!!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Maybe it's all very meta and they're marketing a movie about organized crime with organized cyber-crime.

• Options

Coco is Pixar, btw

But its not the same studio

They have a completely different project pipeline and power structure and animation style and their emphasis on their projects is entirely different!!!!!

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

Coco is Pixar, btw

They have a completely different project pipeline and power structure and animation style and their emphasis on their projects is entirely different!!!!!
    I didn't say the recent Disney Animation Studios movies I said recent Disney movies you giant weirdo

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Because I'm the kind of motherfucker who listens to movie soundtracks without seeing the movie (and because I'm writing a cyberpunk thing), I'm listening to Blade Runner 2049

This thing is pretty great! Although I looked it up, and the guy who did Arrival was supposed to do it originally? Which, man, sign me the fuck up

• Options

Coco is Pixar, btw

I didn't say the recent Disney Animation Studios movies I said recent Disney movies you giant weirdo

GAAAAH

• Options
    I like Tangled a lot.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I like Tangled a lot.

TANGLED IS VERY GOOD IM SORRY IM YELLING BLANK MADE ME VERY FLUSTERED

• Options
    Tangled rules! One of my favorites

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    The common, vulgar, weak, licentious crowd may prefer Hellfire

But my favorite Hunchback song is the Beeeeelllss of Nooootreee Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I'm here for Aladdin being the best overall soundtrack. All kinds of good fuckin' tunes. And Robin Williams really brings it home.

Interestingly, there's no real I want song

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Interestingly, there's no real I want song

Street Rat kind of?

Edit: Also I just listened to Friend Like Me for the first time in forever and its amazing how the writers stuck in as many phrases in other languages or phrases like "dude" or other things that would allow Williams to switch between impressions while singing

Chincymcchilla on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think my favorite single disney song is Be Prepared but I dunno about whole soundtracks. Aladdin and Lion King are at the top of my list I guess.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Fantasia?
    Personally I love orchestral music but if you start playing The Rite of Spring for some people they just start to riot

• Options
    Its time for me to remind everyone that Friends On The Other Side single handedly justifies the existance of Princess & The Frog

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I'll Make a Man Out of You is a well-written song but I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics anymore.

Yeahhhhh I love that song but it is absolutely a Problematic Fave at this point

"Did they send me daughters, when I asked for sons?" is not great in-context but is also, ah, resonant beyond the context of the song.

This is surprising to me! All the toxic masculinity-esque language seems very intentional to me, given that Mulan proves him wrong during the course of the song (though he doesn't know it) and proves him wrong to his face (as I remember it, it's been a while, but I mean just by virtue of the truth being revealed) by the end of the movie

Like those lyrics seem to me to be an illustration of specifically what she is overcoming. And she does, and it's pretty inspiring, I think!

Not trying to tell you you're wrong, if it makes people uncomfortable anyway then it does. I'm just trying to work out why this surprised me. There might be stuff I'm misremembering or overlooking!

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »

Fantasia?
    Personally I love orchestral music but if you start playing The Rite of Spring for some people they just start to riot

this was a good pull

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    wandering you cannot agree with compliments about your own posts that is gauche

• Options
    The One Jump Ahead reprise as he's looking at the palace at night is absolutely an I Want song!

Also as far as the argument of "Coco has music but maybe doesn't count because it's by a different studio," you could instead relate them by composer? Because Coco and Frozen have the same composers

And I personally tend to mentally separate the Menken Disney soundtracks from the rest (because the Menken stuff is largely, in my opinion, better)

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    This article:
    https://uproxx.com/movies/saddest-disney-songs-ranked/

Has sparked a very fierce debate between me and my partner (who is an insane person who stans for the Tarzan soundtrack) so I am now seeking outside voices

Remember Me

#1 with a bullet

Not sure if this counts for the purposes of this exercise, but the scene in Lilo and Stitch with "Aloha O`e" is one of the top-five hardest cries I've had in my life, I'm pretty sure

• Options
    Aladdin is kind of an atypical disney hero because his Want is more esoteric than others.

Snow White wants to not be dead
    Cinderella wants to not be an indentured servant anymore
    Sleeping Beauty wants the Prince and also to not be asleep anymore
    Little Mermaid wants to be human
    Dumbo wants his mom
    Pinocchio wants to be real

Aladdin wants...to be seen as more than his station in life. He wants opportunity to rise. He wants to be treated like a person.

The only one I can think of that is similar is Ralph, in that his Want (the medal) is just a stand in for the same thing.

• Options
    I mean all of those things are standins for bigger things

Ariel wants a place to belong, she doesn’t fit in in her hometown. She wants the ability to see things she hasn’t seen before, that no one in her country has

She’s Luke looking at the suns, she’s Hamilton leaving St Croix

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I remember Home Improvement being pretty good, and am also a respected critic of accurate bowel movements in movies. For instance, in Season 2 Episode 13 of HBO's "The Sopranos", the noises associated with Tony's gastrointestinal distress do not accurately portray the noises associated with that condition.

Boy. I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

It's unwatchable trash

I just wanted to make a simpsons reference! And we all know the only unwatchable trash in the Sopranos is any scene with AJ in it! Nobody denies this!

• Options
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I'll Make a Man Out of You is a well-written song but I'm not a huge fan of the lyrics anymore.

Yeahhhhh I love that song but it is absolutely a Problematic Fave at this point

"Did they send me daughters, when I asked for sons?" is not great in-context but is also, ah, resonant beyond the context of the song.

This is surprising to me! All the toxic masculinity-esque language seems very intentional to me, given that Mulan proves him wrong during the course of the song (though he doesn't know it) and proves him wrong to his face (as I remember it, it's been a while, but I mean just by virtue of the truth being revealed) by the end of the movie

Like those lyrics seem to me to be an illustration of specifically what she is overcoming. And she does, and it's pretty inspiring, I think!

Not trying to tell you you're wrong, if it makes people uncomfortable anyway then it does. I'm just trying to work out why this surprised me. There might be stuff I'm misremembering or overlooking!

Mulan proves him "wrong" the way women always have to prove themselves against machismo, by matching it. At no point is any of that macho stuff actually undercut.

But also the specific phrasing there is kind of hard for me to get past as a woman whose parents refuse to recognize as anything but the son they want her to be, which is the extra-contextual relevance I alluded to.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I don't see it mentioned ever, but I really, really adore "I won't Say I'm in Love" from Hercules. Probably my favorite love song from Disney

Hercules is also one of the more openly sexual movies from Disney. Watching it now I can remember 12 year old CK having...feelings about megara

cursedking on
  • Options
    Those are very good points that I was definitely missing. Thanks!

• Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    I don't see it mentioned ever, but I really, really adore "I won't Say I'm in Love" from Hercules. Probably my favorite love song from Disney

Hercules is weirdly forgotten and that feels kind of unfair

It's not a good adaptation of Hercules but I like it!

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Saddest song in a Disney movie?

Aloha Oe from Lilo and Stitch.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Some of the ideas in Hercules are slam dunks

- Making Hercules like Superman
    - Making the greek chorus a gospel choir
    - James Woods' Hades

The idea to make it try and map to a sort of Sports' movie plot is also ok, but ends up being half baked. Also having the gods be good was a terrible decision that really weakens the movie. just cut them from the movie completely! they don't add anything.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »

Hercules is weirdly forgotten and that feels kind of unfair

It's not a good adaptation of Hercules but I like it!

it's like a parody of greek mythology; the only reason the movie works is because of the characters.

I hate how Hollywood has made Hades the big bad for everything, but Hades in Disney's Hercules is just a joy to watch.

• Options
    I just realized I've never seen Treasure Planet or Atlantis

Are either any good?

This discussion has been closed.