Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The Expanse PbP- Twilight Struggle IN SPAAAACE!!!

1234568»

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 9
    Total scores
    UN: +11
    Mars: +41 (!)
    OPA: +41 (!)
    Protogen: +30

Final
    UN: 72
    Mars: 81
    OPA: 84
    Protogen: 73

OPA VICTORY

latest?cb=20170415193112

Celebrate with my OPA waifu, Camina Drummer
    7nCq.gif

MrBody on
    Wow. That final scoring sure was a swing.

I did that final protomolecule action thinking my main goal was simply hurting the massive UN lead to promote my 2nd place into 1st. Boy was that off. Wonder what would have happened if I used those AP instead...

(this was neat)

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 9
    MrBody wrote: »
    Final Scoring

Outer Planets bonus sector (4/2/1)
    Earth- Mars orbital control
    Eurasia: Mars/UN 5/3

There is no bonus sector in final scoring...
    But that doesn't appear to be in the scores so

discrider on
    Steam Community page: http://steamcommunity.com/id/discrider/
    Oh hey! A knife!
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Oh, huh. Didn't expect that

Magic Box
    Academician Prokhor "Phyphor" Zakharov, Chief Scientist of China, Provost of the University of Planet - SE++ Megagame
    So I've done two games of this over the last few weeks. Would it be rude if I typed up a strategy post? Mostly because I've found it a super interesting experience.

@Albino Bunny forgot about this. Go ahead.

• DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    Epic crash :(. Congrats!

Mechanics talk:

So much for my theory on scoring the bonus systems you DIDN'T want first.

Faction tier wankery talk

Faction ranking from what I saw:
    OPA
    Protogen
    UN
    Mars

The OPA starting ability is decent. Their techs all seem mediocre. What I think makes them the best though, is the board layout. There are 6 whole bases concentrated in just 2 orbitals in the outer planets, and every one of them is a bonus resource for OPA. They can easily focus on nothing but Jupiter and Saturn, and then use their starting ability to snipe any empty asteroid before a scoring event. Compare that to the other factions that have to spread their efforts out all over the place because of their bonus resources. Mars and UN are spread out over all 3 sectors and Protogen 2 (I rank Protogen above UN simple because they can mostly ignore the Outer Planets).

Protogen starting ability is alright. Maybe worth 5 CP all game. Their Tech I ability I think is the best in the game though. Its only downside is making you favor AP when you really want to take events wherever you can since that's not giving your opponents freebies. The protomolecule is absolutely useless though, the worst ability in the game. Giving up a turn, losing a CP, AND eliminating all but 1 of your own influence just isn't worth it. Spending just 1 AP to convert an influence to yours is so much better.

UN diplomats and breaking influence ties is very good. Their starting ability is on par with Protogen for maybe being worth 5 CP all game. They're only below Protogen because their bonus resources are more spread out.

Mars comes in last. Their strength in fleet is more impressive on paper than in practice. Having orbital control is worth 1 extra influence on planets you already have influence. Useful, but not as useful as simply cutting the middle man and getting direct bonuses to influence like all the other factions (especially UN: a conditional +1 influence vs 2 for 1 influence cubes and winning influence ties?). Their Total Warfare tech isn't that much better than everyone else's Open Warfare tech. If destroying an enemy fleet will be a big setback for them, it's worth spending the 1 extra AP.

Preda
1234568»