Options

Emergency [chat] Protocol 7-B

1939495969799»

Posts

  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    HBO shows are generally more style than substance don't @ me

    Coinage I agree

    In this case youd be mistaken.

    I also agree with you on it, mind.

  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    You can't drink in your seat...
    This is not the Europe I was lead to believe in!

    You can in most of Europe

    The Irish just took it a bit far before : (

    I'm going to blame this on England, somehow.

    That’s the Irish spirit!

  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Like a redheaded stepchild

  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I am working very slowly today. I am teleworking because my office is "lights out" but I am a contractor so no day off for me.

    I am doing a lot of small admin things.

    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Us rebellious children gotta stick together.

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The preterist position is probably the Christian eschatological view least likely to lead to really horrific policies and end times cults.

    Millenarianism: not even once

  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Leftovers is really good, one of the best shows ever made.

    It has nothing to do with Christianity at all, except in that religious groups go nuts

    Good to know

    Because the primary reason I haven’t even looked at it is that if the big reveal was “oh it was actually the rapture SURPRISE” I would probably have to like... buy a gun to shoot my television or something

    The whole point of the show is that the departure is instantaneous, unexplained, insoluble and surprisingly small (5%)

    It's about how people are forced to grapple with this grief, individually and socially--it's basically a clever way to explore mortality without all the psychological equipment we've developed for millennia to protect ourselves from the idea

    Of course many religious characters believe it's the rapture, but you meet a character in the first episode who's a priest who hates that idea because the departed are seemingly random (nice people, babies, serial killers, actors, etc)

    The world largely goes on but it's a massive species-wide trauma

    At the end of the last episode, I was weeping so hard I was shaking (not even out of sadness but just because of how powerful the last scene is)

  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Now Dark is a good sci-fi show about how much it sucks being alive

  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    God almighty is it only three weeks to the World Cup?

  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am working very slowly today. I am teleworking because my office is "lights out" but I am a contractor so no day off for me.

    I am doing a lot of small admin things.

    Companies that don't pass on their holidays to their contractors deserve to pay for faffing about.

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    Now Dark is a good sci-fi show about how much it sucks being alive

    Completely different kind of thing, tho.

  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    God almighty is it only three weeks to the World Cup?

    I thought it started last weekend?

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I need to know - do they let you find out what caused the disappearing?

    That’s probably make or break for me.

    I see Lindelofs name right there.

    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Leftovers is really good, one of the best shows ever made.

    It has nothing to do with Christianity at all, except in that religious groups go nuts

    Good to know

    Because the primary reason I haven’t even looked at it is that if the big reveal was “oh it was actually the rapture SURPRISE” I would probably have to like... buy a gun to shoot my television or something

    The whole point of the show is that the departure is instantaneous, unexplained, insoluble and surprisingly small (5%)

    It's about how people are forced to grapple with this grief, individually and socially--it's basically a clever way to explore mortality without all the psychological equipment we've developed for millennia to protect ourselves from the idea

    Of course many religious characters believe it's the rapture, but you meet a character in the first episode who's a priest who hates that idea because the departed are seemingly random (nice people, babies, serial killers, actors, etc)

    The world largely goes on but it's a massive species-wide trauma

    At the end of the last episode, I was weeping so hard I was shaking (not even out of sadness but just because of how powerful the last scene is)

    I just passed through another, lesser but still great, one of those scenes last night.
    Patti at the well with Kevin "Harvey"

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Elldren wrote: »
    Leftovers is really good, one of the best shows ever made.

    It has nothing to do with Christianity at all, except in that religious groups go nuts

    Good to know

    Because the primary reason I haven’t even looked at it is that if the big reveal was “oh it was actually the rapture SURPRISE” I would probably have to like... buy a gun to shoot my television or something

    The whole point of the show is that the departure is instantaneous, unexplained, insoluble and surprisingly small (5%)

    It's about how people are forced to grapple with this grief, individually and socially--it's basically a clever way to explore mortality without all the psychological equipment we've developed for millennia to protect ourselves from the idea

    Of course many religious characters believe it's the rapture, but you meet a character in the first episode who's a priest who hates that idea because the departed are seemingly random (nice people, babies, serial killers, actors, etc)

    The world largely goes on but it's a massive species-wide trauma

    At the end of the last episode, I was weeping so hard I was shaking (not even out of sadness but just because of how powerful the last scene is)

    Yeah. I want to describe the ending as beautiful because, man.

    It is. It's like a fond memory of a good friend, just talking about stuff, and being alright with everything.

    jungleroomx on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    I watched a few of The Leftovers but it didn't really get me

    it did have a disaffected teen orgy scene that was very HBO, so there was that

  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I need to know - do they let you find out what caused the disappearing?

    That’s probably make or break for me.

    I see Lindelofs name right there.

    It 100000% is not the reason for the show. Answering it conclusively would break the show.

    Though you can find answers in there if you want for yourself.

    If you want.

    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    God almighty is it only three weeks to the World Cup?

    I thought it started last weekend?

    Nyet, komrade. Glorious Russia hosts capitalist running dog event starting middle of June. Last weekend was FA Cup Final.

  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    I watched a few of The Leftovers but it didn't really get me

    it did have a disaffected teen orgy scene that was very HBO, so there was that

    Buh?

  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I am working very slowly today. I am teleworking because my office is "lights out" but I am a contractor so no day off for me.

    I am doing a lot of small admin things.

    Companies that don't pass on their holidays to their contractors deserve to pay for faffing about.

    Government. It is not a holiday it is an optional choice made by the Admiral.

    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    The shows theme is Embrace the Mystery, so...

    Coinage on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    The comparison to Kubrick is really apt for the last season especially, and I still feel like I don't "get" those scenes but I know there's something important there

    Which is so good; it makes me want to read discussions and rewatch critically

    Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    God almighty is it only three weeks to the World Cup?
    Let me check my American watch, and...yeah it says we still don't really care about soccer.

  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    MrMister wrote: »
    I watched a few of The Leftovers but it didn't really get me

    it did have a disaffected teen orgy scene that was very HBO, so there was that

    Teen orgy you say?

  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Hmmm ok
    I’m already paying for hbo so it’s not like I stand to risk anything

    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 2.3

    @nexuscrawler will create the new thread
    @Mazzyx is backup

  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    zepherin wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    God almighty is it only three weeks to the World Cup?
    Let me check my American watch, and...yeah it says we still don't really care about soccer.

    Oh man I can't wait until the football thread is full of bright new ideas for improving football from across the pond.

This discussion has been closed.