DS Hot Topic?

I know you get requests like this all the time, but I think we really need a Hot Topic forum for the Nintendo DS. There's just way too much information about it for it to be all in a single thread. We have people repeating the same stuff over and over because it's way too time-consuming to sift through 85 pages trying to find a specific reference. Granted, even with its own forum we're bound to get repeats, but it's simply getting ridiculous how many times we get the same quote from Iwata about "downloading demos from kiosks" or questions about how left-handers are going to be able to play certain games.

To be fair, the PSP probably deserves its own forum too - when it's closer to launch, anyhow. All I'm saying is that it would save a lot of headache to be able to have separate topics about the DS for what are really... separate topics, without cluttering the G&T forum.

sig.gif
Target Practice on
«1

Posts

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver A Lannister Always Pays His Debts Hear Me RoarRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    :|

    It's one topic that isn't even a hundred pages yet.

    There is a search function.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Your problem could also be solved by no longer browsing G&T.

    Dynagrip on
    ok98TNK.png
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    What kind of threads do you think will be in that kind of forum?

    "DS sucks"
    "DS is great"
    "I had a ham sandwich"

    Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    I see a lot of people talking about fucking each other in the ass, so maybe we need an anal sex (or possibly homosexual, as many of the conversations are between males) forum.

    A duck! on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    You know, if the mods are just going to bitch every time someone suggests making a hot topic, and insists that we rely on a single huge poorly-organized thread, get rid of the concept of Hot Topics all together.

    Salvation122 on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    You know, if the mods are just going to bitch every time someone suggests making a hot topic, and insists that we rely on a single huge poorly-organized thread, get rid of the concept of Hot Topics all together.

    Maybe we wouldn't bitch if people had good ideas.

    A duck! on
  • BesigedBBesigedB Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Usefulness factor of a thread that big = zero.

    BesigedB on
    this is a small sig to not get in your way
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    Oh, okay, then lets do a DS forum. Then maybe we can do a PSP forum when it comes out, to be fair. I guess we'll have to do Hot Topic forums for the next gen consoles as well, because they're going to get some traffic, and then we can change the name of G+T to T.

    Ah, but then we could make a Technology Hot Topic....

    A duck! on
  • MrFisticuffsMrFisticuffs Registered User
    edited October 2004
    Well, I see more topics related to PS2 games/hardware/discussion than I see related to the DS.

    Seems the PS2 is a hotter topic than the DS.

    MrFisticuffs on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    I submit that if G&T had not been ordered to keep DS discussion to one (now useless) thread you would see more threads on the DS then you do for the PS2.

    Edit:

    Total posts on front of G&T in threads specifically relating to PS2 software (including non-exclusives): 1709. Posts in threads specifically relating to DS: 2179.

    I don't even give a shit about the DS, but if you're going to create a system to keep the forums from being clogged, use it, and don't belittle those who suggest that you do.

    Salvation122 on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    But if you take a look at the Hot Topics you'll see that a lot of them are about "community" things. FFXI, CoH and WoW were all MMOs, and PAX was a pure community event. The forums exist for organization of people as well as threads.

    And I didn't say the PS2, I said the next ones.

    A duck! on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    But if you take a look at the Hot Topics you'll see that a lot of them are about "community" things. FFXI, CoH and WoW were all MMOs, and PAX was a pure community event. The forums exist for organization of people as well as threads.
    So they're Game On! threads writ large? Well, hell, they can go back to G&T then, I guess.

    My complaint is that the mods have never come up with a good explanation of why some things get HT'd and some are relegated to hundred-odd page threads (Half-Life, Halo 2, DS, etc) that could be more easilly discussed if they were HT'd. Deni's said that it's used to catch topics that would otherwise spam the boards, but if people are being ordered to use official threads that are eighty pages long to keep G&T clean, that doesn't really parse. Then, when people suggest HTing something, they get trolled. By mods. Massively gay.
    And I didn't say the PS2, I said the next ones.
    No, but Fisticuffs did.

    Salvation122 on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    But if you take a look at the Hot Topics you'll see that a lot of them are about "community" things. FFXI, CoH and WoW were all MMOs, and PAX was a pure community event. The forums exist for organization of people as well as threads.

    And I didn't say the PS2, I said the next ones.

    The NintendoDS is all about community, have you even been reading that thread?

    Oh wait.. it's 85 pages long of "Does it have a mic?" because the Search function does not work half the time and the topic is too long

    All of you mods need to step up and actually provide an explanation of why you don't want the forum, because I've just lost my respect for all you. I am also tired of this concept of shooting down topics that need Hot Topic forums badly (Halo2 and HalfLife2 could share a forum, DS needs it's own forum) but giving forums to GAMES that not many PA forumergoers a) play at all b) already created a new forum to discuss it. Jesus, both of those forums have topics on the front page from a month or almost a month ago. Either make use of the Hot Topic idea or don't have it at all, because this is just silly.

    FyreWulff on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    Explain to me how the DS thread is about a "community."

    A duck! on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    And while you're at it, why it needs one when the other consoles don't.

    A duck! on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    While we're calling people out, I'd appreciate it if you could address this:
    A duck! wrote:
    But if you take a look at the Hot Topics you'll see that a lot of them are about "community" things. FFXI, CoH and WoW were all MMOs, and PAX was a pure community event. The forums exist for organization of people as well as threads.
    So they're Game On! threads writ large? Well, hell, they can go back to G&T then, I guess.

    Salvation122 on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    Explain to me how the DS thread is about a "community."

    The 85 page thread explains it.

    A duck! wrote:
    And while you're at it, why it needs one when the other consoles don't.

    Because they all came out 3+ years ago?

    Because the PSP won't release for a long time?

    FyreWulff on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    While we're calling people out, I'd appreciate it if you could address this:
    A duck! wrote:
    But if you take a look at the Hot Topics you'll see that a lot of them are about "community" things. FFXI, CoH and WoW were all MMOs, and PAX was a pure community event. The forums exist for organization of people as well as threads.
    So they're Game On! threads writ large? Well, hell, they can go back to G&T then, I guess.

    Except that these games tend to require extensive organization that's not possible without a forum of their own. I'm aware of what you're saying about how the DS gets a lot of posts, but about what? The specs? The cost? That can easily be done in a thread.

    A duck! on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited October 2004
    Duck has a point. It also keeps the conversation flowing within one thread. A DS Hot Topic would be filled with new game information, I guess. But isn't that what G&T is for? How about getting rid of the official on the thread as a whole? But that would cause tons of DS threads per day you say? So make a Hot-Topic just for DS information. Yeah, but a DS Hot Topic would be filled with new game information which is exactly what G&T is for. Get where I'm going?

    Unknown User on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    FyreWulff wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Explain to me how the DS thread is about a "community."

    The 85 page thread explains it.

    No, that in fact does not explain a single thing to me. There are 85 page threads about abortion, but that doesn't mean we have an abortion community. Is there a communal aspect to the DS thread relating to the DS itself? Do people talk about DS guilds? Group DS events?

    There's a huge difference between a bunch of people saying they want a DS and a say the CoH forum where people are trying to run a guild, organize hunts and discuss builds.

    A duck! on
  • BesigedBBesigedB Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Lord of the Rings wasn't a community event.

    BesigedB on
    this is a small sig to not get in your way
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    There's a huge difference between a bunch of people saying they want a DS and a say the CoH forum where people are trying to run a guild, organize hunts and discuss builds.

    At the risk of getting my head chopped off, what's the difference between CoH and Hyperiums in this regard? This isn't a troll; I'd honestly like to know.

    Smasher on
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2004
    Smasher wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    There's a huge difference between a bunch of people saying they want a DS and a say the CoH forum where people are trying to run a guild, organize hunts and discuss builds.

    At the risk of getting my head chopped off, what's the difference between CoH and Hyperiums in this regard? This isn't a troll; I'd honestly like to know.

    The amount of people playing it.

    A duck! on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    A duck! wrote:
    Explain to me how the DS thread is about a "community."

    The 85 page thread explains it.

    No, that in fact does not explain a single thing to me. There are 85 page threads about abortion, but that doesn't mean we have an abortion community. Is there a communal aspect to the DS thread relating to the DS itself? Do people talk about DS guilds? Group DS events?

    There's a huge difference between a bunch of people saying they want to play CoH and a say the DS forum where people are trying to run a clan, organize matches and discuss launch games.

    No. I meant to read it, then you'd know why the DS is about community.

    Also, fixed.


    Also, Hyperiums has around 5 times the number of people playing CoH here.

    FyreWulff on
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Time to, shock, support the duck.

    LOLZ

    Hot Topic forums are specifically for either A.) Community building stuff or B.) stuff that has an almost universal appeal.

    Lord of the Rings had an almost universal appeal. When we did the Matrix forums, the Matrix was big enough to have an almost universal appeal. So on and so forth.

    Or, we've used Hot Topic for online games or things that many people in the community can play together and get involved with together. Thus, the forums we have in there now.

    The Nintendo DS is not something that has an almost universal appeal. Sorry, fanboy idiots, but it's not. Nor is it "community building" stuff.

    Hell, being a Hot Topic mod and On-Topic Forums deputy I throw out ideas for Hot Topics all the time and they get shot down and I say, "hey, that's life."

    I don't sit and bitch about it. So all you wusses can shut up.

    150cc on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    150cc wrote:
    Time to, shock, support the duck.

    LOLZ

    Hot Topic forums are specifically for either A.) Community building stuff or B.) stuff that has an almost universal appeal.

    Lord of the Rings had an almost universal appeal. When we did the Matrix forums, the Matrix was big enough to have an almost universal appeal. So on and so forth.

    Or, we've used Hot Topic for online games or things that many people in the community can play together and get involved with together. Thus, the forums we have in there now.

    The Nintendo DS is not something that has an almost universal appeal. Sorry, fanboy idiots, but it's not. Nor is it "community building" stuff.

    Hell, being a Hot Topic mod and On-Topic Forums deputy I throw out ideas for Hot Topics all the time and they get shot down and I say, "hey, that's life."

    I don't sit and bitch about it. So all you wusses can shut up.

    Yet Hyperiums didn't get a Hot Topic even though 90% of the forum was playing it?

    I smell bullshit and sidestepping.

    The only reason a CoH forum is around is because "somebody knows somebody", not because it's being played by a majority of the forum. And your topics get shot down because you never support them.

    FyreWulff on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Yet Hyperiums didn't get a Hot Topic even though 90% of the forum was playing it?

    I smell bullshit and sidestepping.

    The only reason a CoH forum is around is because "somebody knows somebody", not because it's being played by a majority of the forum. And your topics get shot down because you never support them.
    I made the CoH forum. I made it because a group of people came to me and asked for it. If a large group came now I would probably do the same thing. I honestly had never met Accult before then.

    Älphämönkëy on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Yet Hyperiums didn't get a Hot Topic even though 90% of the forum was playing it?

    I smell bullshit

    Whoah there Captain Hyperbole.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Gotcha ForceGotcha Force Registered User
    edited October 2004
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Yet Hyperiums didn't get a Hot Topic even though 90% of the forum was playing it?

    I smell bullshit and sidestepping.

    The only reason a CoH forum is around is because "somebody knows somebody", not because it's being played by a majority of the forum. And your topics get shot down because you never support them.
    I made the CoH forum. I made it because a group of people came to me and asked for it. If a large group came now I would probably do the same thing. I honestly had never met Accult before then.

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=5726

    quickly alpha, edit your post and delete the rest

    :mrgreen:

    Gotcha Force on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Yet Hyperiums didn't get a Hot Topic even though 90% of the forum was playing it?

    I smell bullshit and sidestepping.

    The only reason a CoH forum is around is because "somebody knows somebody", not because it's being played by a majority of the forum. And your topics get shot down because you never support them.
    I made the CoH forum. I made it because a group of people came to me and asked for it. If a large group came now I would probably do the same thing. I honestly had never met Accult before then.

    Then why did the Hyperiums forum not get created? A rather large group of people asked for it in here, but the cockblocking from Mods because it wasn't one of their buddies seems to be the only reason it didn't get made.

    FyreWulff on
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Pheezer wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Yet Hyperiums didn't get a Hot Topic even though 90% of the forum was playing it?

    I smell bullshit

    Whoah there Captain Hyperbole.

    Mellow out, FyreWulff, and get a life.

    I don't recall ever seeing anyone ask for a stupid Hyperiums forum.

    150cc on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    150cc wrote:
    Pheezer wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Yet Hyperiums didn't get a Hot Topic even though 90% of the forum was playing it?

    I smell bullshit

    Whoah there Captain Hyperbole.

    Mellow out, FyreWulff, and get a life.

    I don't recall ever seeing anyone ask for a stupid Hyperiums forum.

    There was a thread. There wasn't a lot of support, but a few people were making up insane claims like Fyrewulf's here.

    Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    150cc wrote:
    Pheezer wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Yet Hyperiums didn't get a Hot Topic even though 90% of the forum was playing it?

    I smell bullshit

    Whoah there Captain Hyperbole.

    Mellow out, FyreWulff, and get a life.

    I don't recall ever seeing anyone ask for a stupid Hyperiums forum.

    Stop it with your god damn ad hominem childish bullshit, but since you want to that:

    Go grow a pair of balls.

    Also.

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75600
    You've been served.

    FyreWulff on
  • 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Pheezer wrote:
    150cc wrote:
    Pheezer wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Yet Hyperiums didn't get a Hot Topic even though 90% of the forum was playing it?

    I smell bullshit

    Whoah there Captain Hyperbole.

    Mellow out, FyreWulff, and get a life.

    I don't recall ever seeing anyone ask for a stupid Hyperiums forum.

    There was a thread. There wasn't a lot of support, but a few people were making up insane claims like Fyrewulf's here.

    I certainly don't recall "90%" of the forum population playing Hyperiums.

    150cc on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    Deni and I were not around. The mods dont have rights to create new forums. I feel terrible about this but it was handled very poorly, and even though that sucks, I dont know if there is still an intrest. If there is, let me know, I will talk around.

    Älphämönkëy on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver A Lannister Always Pays His Debts Hear Me RoarRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    FyreWulff wrote:
    150cc wrote:
    Pheezer wrote:
    FyreWulff wrote:
    Yet Hyperiums didn't get a Hot Topic even though 90% of the forum was playing it?

    I smell bullshit

    Whoah there Captain Hyperbole.

    Mellow out, FyreWulff, and get a life.

    I don't recall ever seeing anyone ask for a stupid Hyperiums forum.

    Stop it with your god damn ad hominem childish bullshit, but since you want to that:

    Go grow a pair of balls.

    Also.

    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=75600
    You've been served.

    Guys, it's time again for fun with numbers!

    Do we have to?


    Yes. Yes you do.

    Let's start off this game by looking at our friend, the memberlist. Oh golly, this thing sure is big. Heck, 50 people per page. Over 400 pages! That makes....
    over 20,000 members!

    Let's look at that thread. 4 pages of 25 posts each, and there are multiple posts by the same people, and not everyone is for the game! So let's do a quick bit of math and find out how many people maximum were churning ffor the game. 100! Much less even!

    Quick percentage: .5%

    You've been sassed.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    I'm pretty sure every single one of those members aren't a) not using the forum anymore b) banned c) alts d) spambot registrations e) alts.

    Even then, I wasn't being literal with the 90% of forumers, but every other person is/was playing it. A very large chunk of SE++mk2 aswell.

    FyreWulff on
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver A Lannister Always Pays His Debts Hear Me RoarRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    Just as not everyone in that thread were for the idea, and not every post is unique.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
  • DynagripDynagrip destroy everything you touch Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2004
    There seems to be a lot of support for not making a DS Hot Topic forum. Clearly we need a forum devoted to the prevention of the DS getting its own Hot Topic forum.

    Dynagrip on
    ok98TNK.png
  • AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited October 2004
    As AlphaMonkey said he didn't know me before the Hot Topic got thrown up. Another interesting little thing is I never even asked for a CoH HT. We had two massive threads, one in SE++ and one in G&T running. I'm sure somewhere in there a person said somethign about an HT forum but it wasn't me. Hell I didn't even know I was a mod in the CoH HT forum until I went over to it.

    With Hyperiums it was a completely different situation. There were some scattered threads, and indeed some got became big but you kind of shot yourselves in the foot by asking for an HT thread, getting being told no, and then acting like complete asses about the whole thing.

    Anyway if we throw up a DS HT then I guess we should throw up an Xbox, PS2, PC, GC, Retro HT to go with because, you know, people talk about that stuff.

    Accualt on
This discussion has been closed.