Options

The definition of [Webcomics]

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Give that mans grandkids a kudos, lol.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    There was a polearm quiz on the D&D website a few years back but it appears to have disappeared after a site reorganization and edition shift.
    Like... a "what polearm are you?" quiz?

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    The second one is extra funny because of the (un)surprising number of explicitly christian Sonic OCs.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    There was a polearm quiz on the D&D website a few years back but it appears to have disappeared after a site reorganization and edition shift.

It was "identify these polearms".

• Options
    aw

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm a lance.

• Options
    Up JobUp Job Registered User regular
    heh

What, uh - heh heh

What, uh, polearm would Professor Frink use?
    A glaiven

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Garthor wrote: »
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

It was "identify these polearms".

Smash cut to a Polish bodybuilding competition.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    I'm a lance.
    Lance is the Chad of polearms. Used by jocks everywhere.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    They also break after one use and are garbage if you're up close with someone.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'm going to consider this quote from Wikipedia the definitive answer on whether spears and polearms are the same. Keep in mind, my degree is in education, with a very strong minor in history, mainly military history. So I enjoy talking about this stuff. Outside of this thread, and in my personal and professional studies, I've never heard a polearm called a spear, so this was all new to me.
    Polarms can be divided into three broad categories: those designed for extended reach and thrusting tactics used in pike square or phalanx combat; those designed to increase leverage (thanks to hands moving freely on a pole) to maximize centrifugal force against calvary; and those designed for throwing tactics used in skirmish line combat. Spears, glaives, guandaos, pudaos, poleaxes, halberds, harpoons, sovnyas, tridents, naginatas, war scythes and javelins are all varieties of pole arms.

So I will agree that spears are polearms, but I'm still iffy on whether other polearms are spears. But, I think this is a fascinating subject, and could go on forever. So maybe hurry up and post the next K6BD comic already, Abbadon!

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Eddy wrote: »
    Melding wrote: »
    spears are a type of polearm. if i asked for a spear and someone gave me a halberd i would be very disappointed. that's the type of person that would give you a hotdog if you asked for a sandwich.

tangentially: I really don't know how people can successfully remember all the different types of polearms (and their names), considering there were so many ad-hoc and regional pointy sticks, none of which were standardized

Plus, most of the differences in type seem completely arbitrary or merely relative in degree and not truly differences in kind

Double-plus, how do people even use guisarmes or any of its minor variations

altpost: while you were busy having premarital sex I studied the glaive

Let me introduce you to a little book I once had...

bmBU55H.jpg

It was fairly exhaustive on real world medieval and Renaissance weapons.

Basucally, a spear is the most basic form of polearm, long stick with pointy end. Whether that pointy end was just the sharpened wood or an attached spear point.

Polearms is where people started getting fancy. Most of them had one of two purposes, lopping limbs off at distance (halberd) or stopping cavalry charges (pikes). Some were just extrapolations on farm equipment: mancatchers were basically long sticks with a fork to hold down an opponent at distance, while someone else stabbed him to death.

Spears have one advantage over most polearms. They too can formthe cavalry stopping pike formation, like the Romans and Greeks did, but they can also be thrown.
    Spears are like swords.
    They are very general name for a type of weapon that comes in many forms.
    Great sword, epee, Saber and gladius are very different, both in looks and in usage, yet they are all swords.

I don't think what either of us said is mutually exclusive. Though I've never heard someone refer to a halberd as a spear. Or any other polearm.
    It is a bit contradictory.
    In that you seem to have a fairly limited view on what a spear is, and how simple they are (some spears can have fairly complex pointybits).
    For example, not all spears can be throw, atleast effectively, anymore so than anything can be thrown.
    But then in the post following the one i was answering to, you kinda contradict your own simplicity point when calling guisarmes spears.
    So i don't think i'm really disagreeing with you in the end.

That said, not all polearms are spears, staffs and halberds being fairly obvious examples of them.
    Heck, dane axes are almost polearms themselves, and nobody is calling those spears.

What is a polearm in the end, really?
    It's a pole, that may or may not have something attachedto one end.
    Often a knife/sword blade, sometimes a hammer, or an axe, or some combination of the three.
    It's like someone had a regular one handed weapon and went "hmmm, i really want to hit that guy, but i don't really feel like getting up and walking across the room".

Not by any means exhaustive, but from wikipedia...

"Spears began to lose fashion among the infantry during the 14th century, being replaced by pole weapons that combined the thrusting properties of the spear with the cutting properties of the axe, such as the halberd. Where spears were retained they grew in length, eventually evolving into pikes, which would be a dominant infantry weapon in the 16th and 17th centuries".
    Not sure how that's relevant to my post,
    I'm going to consider this quote from Wikipedia the definitive answer on whether spears and polearms are the same. Keep in mind, my degree is in education, with a very strong minor in history, mainly military history. So I enjoy talking about this stuff. Outside of this thread, and in my personal and professional studies, I've never heard a polearm called a spear, so this was all new to me.
    Polarms can be divided into three broad categories: those designed for extended reach and thrusting tactics used in pike square or phalanx combat; those designed to increase leverage (thanks to hands moving freely on a pole) to maximize centrifugal force against calvary; and those designed for throwing tactics used in skirmish line combat. Spears, glaives, guandaos, pudaos, poleaxes, halberds, harpoons, sovnyas, tridents, naginatas, war scythes and javelins are all varieties of pole arms.[/quote]

So I will agree that spears are polearms, but I'm still iffy on whether other polearms are spears. But, I think this is a fascinating subject, and could go on forever. So maybe hurry up and post the next K6BD comic already, Abbadon! [/quote]

Think of it like monkeys, apes and humans.
    Every human is an ape, every ape is a monkey.
    But not every monkey is an ape, and not every ape is a human.
    Subsets of subsets of a type.
    glaive is a spear is a polearm.
    But not all polearms are spears and not all spears are glaives.

And sometimes glaives are weird combat frisbees.

Nyysjan on
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    how about we just use sword reavers instead?

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    In QC, some feels and soon to be vomiting discretion shot.

Magus` on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    What does a chainsaw at the end of a pole count as?

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

spear

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

A disaster waiting to happen.

Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus

Polearm with the vorpal trait.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    the "spear" category there is a little too wide, that includes everything from throwing spears to pikes
    crwth wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    they're all dicks or dick-like objects
    is a dildo a spear

Depends on the length of the shaft.

actually it doesn't, they're all spears
    they're also all sausages and therefor hotdogs

And if you put them between your buns they become a sandwich

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

spear

Except when it's a scythe.
    Or a halberd.
    Depending on how you attach it.

• Options
    Dat senator's meme usage is no where as ridiculous as the level of russian interference, its merely a cherry on a cake of bullshit

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    twupeppad1ys.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court

Ooh, nice catch.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    qhphc06ikilf.jpg
    Penny Arcade
    will never be about video games again.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    It was never just about video games

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    what on earth is that comic even about

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    The incredibly popular fictional dSports league that Jerry and Tycho are totally gonna start.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited August 2018
    x66yWRr.jpg?1

Tom draws good faces.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    klemming wrote: »
    twupeppad1ys.jpg
    Gunnerkrigg Court

Ooh, nice catch.

Anyone else notice that she was circling him with her hair, her power source?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Classic tactic used both by and against tricksters.

(e.g. "I bet you can't fit inside this very small thing.")

• Options
This discussion has been closed.