As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

An [Elon Musk] thread.

• Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    He even managed to fuck up the trains by buying property for his stupid private subway, thereby preventing expansion of the existing subway, only to convince his idiot followers that he's making trains better.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    If I were that diver I would sue

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Tube wrote: »

Interesting question about jurisdiction. If it could be Britain as the diver is British then Elon Musk is in for an expensive lesson in UK libel laws.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    That's not even the only shitty thing about that single tweet. Apparently he intends to have someone recreate the trip that killed a navy seal, with his submarine in tow, just so he can resolve a Twitter feud.

Zek on
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    That's not even the only shitty thing about that single tweet. Apparently he intends to have someone recreate the trip that killed a navy seal, with his submarine in tow, just so he can resolve a Twitter feud.

Good god that's so incredibly crass.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Just. Stop. Tweeting.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    And to think there's still people who insist on defending everything Musk says and does.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I mean, there's also the dire racism

• Options
    NotYouNotYou Registered User regular

First he needs to pump a bunch of water back into the caves, and stuff a child inside his submarine.

Anyone else think this looks like a man having a mental breakdown?

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If only. Then he might take a break and get some perspective.

This looks like a man high on his own ego and running a permanent power trip.

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Middle-aged British men who move to Thailand get side-eyed pretty hard in Britain due to the possibility of sex tourism, and my understanding is that Thai authorities can be suspicious of them as well. I don't think Musk is necessarily being racist against the people of Thailand so much as playing off a particular stereotype. This is not to excuse his behaviour in any way, it's an absolutely appalling thing to say to someone, just not necessarily animated by racism.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Middle-aged British men who move to Thailand get side-eyed pretty hard in Britain due to the possibility of sex tourism, and my understanding is that Thai authorities can be suspicious of them as well. I don't think Musk is necessarily being racist against the people of Thailand so much as playing off a particular stereotype. This is not to excuse his behaviour in any way, it's an absolutely appalling thing to say to someone, just not necessarily animated by racism.

There's an argument to be made that assuming a country is a haven for sex work is racist but yeah primarily he's just making the shitty assumption anybody going to non-affluent Asian countries wants to do so for sex.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    A diver wanting to live in a place with some nice caves is not that odd.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

Not at all, no. Especially one that's relatively cheap to live in. Thailand is a beautiful country with hundreds of amazing things to see, Elon Musk can get on his fucking bike.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

Interesting question about jurisdiction. If it could be Britain as the diver is British then Elon Musk is in for an expensive lesson in UK libel laws.

Not really. British libel rulings are unenforceable in the US, thanks to the SPEECH Act.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Not at all, no. Especially one that's relatively cheap to live in. Thailand is a beautiful country with hundreds of amazing things to see, Elon Musk can get on his fucking bike.

He has a team of engineers working around the clock to design the best fucking bike you've ever seen. He will show you. He'll show all of you

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

There's an argument to be made that assuming a country is a haven for sex work is racist but yeah primarily he's just making the shitty assumption anybody going to non-affluent Asian countries wants to do so for sex.

I don;t see how it would be racism. A people are not it's country, and Thailand as a country has an awful reputation for this. The sex tourism there is huge.

• Options
    Does anyone have actual evidence that Elon Musk said these things? I didn’t see anything in his twitter stream and a lot of people are calling fake news on this. Which is possible I guess if someone writes something that sounds believable enough.

The tweet was embedded in this thread earlier and Musk appears to have deleted it. Trust everyone reporting or don't, I guess.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Cirque De Soleil should hire some of Elon Musk's supporters, they contort themselves into pretzels to defend their icon.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Elon Musk followers remind me of Trumpists with how they are unwilling to accept truth.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Does anyone have actual evidence that Elon Musk said these things? I didn’t see anything in his twitter stream and a lot of people are calling fake news on this. Which is possible I guess if someone writes something that sounds believable enough.

He's a public figure. There are like... twenty thousand screencaps from folks who have nothing in common but being really distressed by him saying such a shitty thing.

Edit: And like, I saw it. So did most people talking about it in this thread.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I was mostly in his corner up until this, but these last tweets sound like someone who has come a little unhinged. Frustrated about people being angry about the help that the lead diver requested from you? I can 100% understand that. But you can't go around calling your critics pedophiles just because they live in Thailand. Or, like, for any reason.

Time to take a few months break from Twitter, and to not come back until you are in a happier place with a better message to spread.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    FrankiedarlingFrankiedarling Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I was mostly in his corner up until this, but these last tweets sound like someone who has come a little unhinged. Frustrated about people being angry about the help that the lead diver requested from you? I can 100% understand that. But you can't go around calling your critics pedophiles just because they live in Thailand. Or, like, for any reason.

Time to take a few months break from Twitter, and to not come back until you are in a happier place with a better message to spread.

Yea, dude sounds frustrated as all hell. Time for a twitter break.

• Options
    Man I dunno if I really support the stance of "Elon Musk should leave Twitter until he can hide that he's a jackass better"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Elon Musk followers remind me of Trumpists with how they are unwilling to accept truth.

There are probably two groups. As the tech minded group of normals like me decreases due to his

MASSIVE assholishness

becoming ever more apparent, there are probably alt-righters flooding in from the other side.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular

He's a public figure. There are like... twenty thousand screencaps from folks who have nothing in common but being really distressed by him saying such a shitty thing.

Also RT'd from here to Bangkok by both his defenders and detractors. I don't think deleting the original yanks the retweets out of everyone else's pages.

• Options
    This basically seems like Notch 2, the identical sequel.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    This basically seems like Notch 2, the identical sequel.
    Sample no. 6389601 in "Push a libertarian even slightly and there's a reactionary under the surface"

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular

There are probably two groups. As the tech minded group of normals like me decreases due to his

MASSIVE assholishness

becoming ever more apparent, there are probably alt-righters flooding in from the other side.

This has literally nothing to do with Trump or the alt-right or any of that garbage. The right do not have a monopoly on an unwillingness to accept facts that contradict your view of the world. Pick any public figure with a strong following from the last decade and you'll see the same sort of response when unflattering information about them comes to light. It's really arrogant to think that <insert group you identify with> is immune to this.

• Options
    exis wrote: »

MASSIVE assholishness

This has literally nothing to do with Trump or the alt-right or any of that garbage. The right do not have a monopoly on an unwillingness to accept facts that contradict your view of the world. Pick any public figure with a strong following from the last decade and you'll see the same sort of response when unflattering information about them comes to light. It's really arrogant to think that <insert group you identify with> is immune to this.

Conceptually yes, this is true, but there's a massive overlap between libertarians, "classical liberals", and reactionary alt-righters. I would imagine that the lefty diehard Muskists are more inclined to drop off the wagon than the anti union fake news libertarians

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    exis wrote: »

MASSIVE assholishness

Apart from all of the actual rightist views he’s pushing on labor, safety etc.

What I meant more directly with that statement is that his twitter rhetoric is what alt-righters seem to look for in a figurehead. That’s why I’m willing to bet those are flooding in the deeper in that direction he goes. They flock to this behavior. Has nothing much to do with selective facts and everything to do with Elon Musk quickly approaching filling up that mold completely, with every passing day.

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    haha man i read the replies to that safety thread and it's a trainwreck

Elon supporters angrily asking "WHAT DID YOU DO WHILE ELON WAS BUILDING THE SUB, THAT'S RIGHT, YOU DID NOTHING", calling the integrity and expertise of the thread writer into question, calling the NY times article fake news, it goes on and on

feels like it would be very difficult for Elon to step back and evaluate his recent behavior on twitter if he's got such a large, angry mob behind him swarming in favor of every tweet he makes

Orphane on
  • Options
    Orphane wrote: »

Elon supporters angrily asking "WHAT DID YOU DO WHILE ELON WAS BUILDING THE SUB, THAT'S RIGHT, YOU DID NOTHING", calling the integrity and expertise of the thread writer into question, calling the NY times article fake news, it goes on and on

feels like it would be very difficult for Elon to step back and evaluate his recent behavior on twitter if he's got such a large, angry mob behind him swarming in favor of every tweet he makes

I mean we've already seen his response to docume ted examples of stochastic harassment resulting from his tweets, and it was a quarter apology at best. Which is still better than most reactionaries so points for clearing a buried bar.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Hevach wrote: »

Also RT'd from here to Bangkok by both his defenders and detractors. I don't think deleting the original yanks the retweets out of everyone else's pages.

Yes, it does

Edit: on official Twitter app, at least. Although people often screenshot that shit when someone goes off the rails like elon

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    So what in the fuck? I tuned out of this thread because the rescue was over, and this morning had to check back in because the tweet story popped on all the news sources. What in the fuck is he thinking?

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    RT'd tweets that are deleted only stay on your timeline in the app if you had loaded it on your timeline before it got deleted.

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    While elon was doing all that i was not donating money to the republicans so I think my helped about as much as he did

• Options
    So what in the fuck? I tuned out of this thread because the rescue was over, and this morning had to check back in because the tweet story popped on all the news sources. What in the fuck is he thinking?

Personally I am only barely surprised after he called the Existential Comics guy a chimp and his other twitter meltdowns. It's worse than usual but not atypical of him, really

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Orphane wrote: »

This discussion has been closed.