As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for Clarity. [ Monitors ]

12345679»

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    My Eve Spectrum arrived. This is my first "nice" gaming monitor.

I will need to learn how to set it up. Every time I turn it on it chugs for a few seconds, even at 1920x1280.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    V1m
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Are there any good videos that show VA panel black smearing?

I'm in the market for an ultra wide, and IPS ultrawides are, well, very expensive. There's several VA ultrawides in my price range, however.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Are there any good videos that show VA panel black smearing?

I'm in the market for an ultra wide, and IPS ultrawides are, well, very expensive. There's several VA ultrawides in my price range, however.

I don't get any black smearing on my samsung g7, which is a VA with a widescreen version.

• rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited October 15
    The Odyssey is the only VA that doesn't smear horribly, and you pay a bit of a premium for that. So its not going to save you any money versus IPS like the smeary VAs will.

The best thing to look at would be TestUFO stills. That's also something you can run on your own monitor (and take a photo of) for comparison.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    As an update to my last post in here, I did end up driving out and picking up a monitor, ended up going with the 27" version of that LG ultragear, don't have the space for much bigger than that. Its cables were annoyingly short for getting it set up, but it has been working a treat. Need to get figured out if any of the games I've been playing lately have hdr, I know the Monster Hunter rise demo does. Main issue I've had is that it keeps moving all my windows over to that monitor when I turn it on, my understanding is that is because Windows is terrible at DisplayPort. Need to start looking at upgrading my secondary monitor as well, is there any weirdness where you want to try and have matched monitors, or should I just grab something that doesn't have all the gaming bells and whistles because it won't be for games?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The Odyssey is the only VA that doesn't smear horribly, and you pay a bit of a premium for that. So its not going to save you any money versus IPS like the smeary VAs will.

The best thing to look at would be TestUFO stills. That's also something you can run on your own monitor (and take a photo of) for comparison.

Yeah I went and checked them out and I'll probably just end up getting a 27" Ultragear and go with 2 monitors, probably using my current monitor in portrait.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    As an update to my last post in here, I did end up driving out and picking up a monitor, ended up going with the 27" version of that LG ultragear, don't have the space for much bigger than that. Its cables were annoyingly short for getting it set up, but it has been working a treat. Need to get figured out if any of the games I've been playing lately have hdr, I know the Monster Hunter rise demo does. Main issue I've had is that it keeps moving all my windows over to that monitor when I turn it on, my understanding is that is because Windows is terrible at DisplayPort. Need to start looking at upgrading my secondary monitor as well, is there any weirdness where you want to try and have matched monitors, or should I just grab something that doesn't have all the gaming bells and whistles because it won't be for games?

I'd for sure match resolution but otherwise it shouldn't matter to much. Maybe match panel type as well.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So im completely out of the loop as far as screens are concerned.

What would be a good ultrawide 1440p for gaming? I'll be running on an AMD Graphics card for a while, so Freesync would be required.

Amazon has this Dell on sale for $270, no idea if it's a good deal or not though, I'm way out of the monitor game.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 25
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So im completely out of the loop as far as screens are concerned.

What would be a good ultrawide 1440p for gaming? I'll be running on an AMD Graphics card for a while, so Freesync would be required.

Amazon has this Dell on sale for $270, no idea if it's a good deal or not though, I'm way out of the monitor game.

I always go for these recommendations, you probably want something from the "budget" category at that price point:

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    rahkeesh2000
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue Registered User regular
    Dell has the S2721DGF on sale for $260 off ($320), so I went to Best Buy and price matched it just a little bit ago.

I was worried about it cause all the reviews said it had low contrast ratio, but holy crap! This thing is gorgeous! The colors are so vivid, it's extremely bright, text is sharp and smooth as hell, and the blacks look great to me!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    Trajan45V1m
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    One of the monitors on my desk burnt out, I'm thinking of upgrading the whole dang thing to an ultrawide but I'm not sure how much monitor I can fit in there.

It's a small corner desk so space is limited but I know the ultrawides are curved. How do I figure out the measurements on them?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    GrpAhic DeiGn is My PAssIon
  • Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Most of the manufactures have the measurements on their website. The curve is pretty minimal from what I've seen.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Elvenshae
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    More specifically, go into the specifications section and look at the "dimensions", that will give you a rectangular prism you can measure your desk space against.

Doodmann
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Yeah looks like I can fit a 38" ultrawide in my space, so gotta start hunting for a deal.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    GrpAhic DeiGn is My PAssIon
    V1mElvenshae
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So I have been putting off upgrading my secondary monitor because I am a lazy, and it occurs to me that we are at the time of year where you can theoretically get a good price on something. 27 inch, 1440, doesn't need any of the fancy gaming bells and whistles because I've already got a gaming monitor, so the most intensive thing I am expecting it to do is YouTube and or other streaming services.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt