As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a DVR for OTA recording and internal HDD

deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
Anyone know of a good DVR for OTA recording that has an internal HDD and no subscription?

Looking to replace an old DVDR with a failing tuner and apparently they don't really make those anymore. I would rather not hook up an external tuner to it since I don't know what all else is wrong with it.

Thanks!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to get away with a pre-made solution without a subscription, since that subscription is used to pay for maintaining the data feeds. If you have a spare computer lying around, you can always look into something like Plex or XBMC. SiliconDust has DVR capability available with their HomeRun network TV tuners, where you can record the feed onto a computer you have - but that's also on an annual subscription (though they will work with programs like Plex.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    A bit more on this:

Basically, once you get outside of the commercial TiVo all in one device (which, again, is going to come with a subscription because that's how they keep the lights on for the long term support), the hobbyist market has moved away from set-top boxes to servers you put in a quiet corner somewhere and access with a variety of means and devices. Technically, you could roll a Plex server in a set-top box, but again, things have moved more to having a central server that serves up media to other devices.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to get away with a pre-made solution without a subscription, since that subscription is used to pay for maintaining the data feeds. If you have a spare computer lying around, you can always look into something like Plex or XBMC. SiliconDust has DVR capability available with their HomeRun network TV tuners, where you can record the feed onto a computer you have - but that's also on an annual subscription (though they will work with programs like Plex.)

xbmc is called Kodi now. It doesn’t have live tv capabilities natively, so you need dvr software like nextpvr, mythtv, hauppage, wmcserver, ect. Emby is a streaming server like plex that has live tv built in (for a price), and silicon dust makes a dvr software to go with their HDHomeRun tuners (also has a yearly fee).

Hardware wise it seems like there are two categories, tuner only or all-in-one. HDHomeRun, Ceton, and Hauppage tuners are just tuners and require a computer with software to run, but they seem to be the most flexible in what you can do. TiVo, Nuvyyo, and channel master make boxes that have tuners and control software built in. Some of them like the channel master dvr+ are subscription free, but I have no idea what they are like as I went the tuner+computer route.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    CiriraCirira IowaRegistered User regular
    I just recently purchased one of the SilconDust HD HomeRun and am running it alongside Plex (I bought the lifetime pass, so technically no subscription?). This allows me to watch over the air TV via my antenna and Plex has DVR capabilities built in now (recent update to it). I can cast Live TV to a FireStick or a few other supported devices (or your PC), but I used it to finally cut the cord myself.

Plex will require a PC or some kind of box with the capability to run it, but I don't know if you'll find an all in one OTA DVR box now without a subscription.

• Options
    deathnote666deathnote666 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the replies!

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    @deathnote666 you ever find a good all in one box? Always curious if any of them have decent UIs.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible