As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trump is abusing the Presidential pardon power

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I’m not saying that Trump has gotten addicted to the attention he gets from pardoning people, but Reuters are reporting that he is now considering approximately 3,000 pardons including one for Muhammad Ali.

Yes, that would be Trump considering a pardon for a charismatic and popular black athlete whose peaceful protest saw him branded unpatriotic and harmed his career.

He's going to start acting like a Medici with Indulgences.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I’m not saying that Trump has gotten addicted to the attention he gets from pardoning people, but Reuters are reporting that he is now considering approximately 3,000 pardons including one for Muhammad Ali.

Yes, that would be Trump considering a pardon for a charismatic and popular black athlete whose peaceful protest saw him branded unpatriotic and harmed his career.
    It was unclear why Trump would be considering a pardon, given that Ali's conviction was overturned.
    Where did Trump get the idea to pardon a person whose conviction was overturned?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

He loves the feeling of power pardoning people gives him.

I feel like this is one area where the US is gonna need to do real reform after Trump.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

He loves the feeling of power pardoning people gives him.

I feel like this is one area where the US is gonna need to do real reform after Trump.

Eh, it's no different from anything else, we need a strict mechanism to allow him to be and force him to be prosecuted for corruption.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018

And since he can pardon himself, there’s no reason why he can’t set up a DC storefront for any and all who can afford to buy.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Pardons are one of those areas where the president doesn't (at least with this congress) have any check to his power. It allows him to feel like "The Boss", which is probably what he imagined being president was supposed to feel like.

Not surprised he's looking to abuse it more.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Is it possible for Trump to "sell" pardons or is there a check on that kind of thing?

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Is it possible for Trump to "sell" pardons or is there a check on that kind of thing?

Again, the check is impeachment.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular

Oh god.
    He's going to make a felon reality TV show isnt he.

• Options

No check.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

That's corruption/bribery that even this SCOTUS couldn't overlook. Of course, Trump could then just pardon himself according to Trump, soooo....

...impeachment?

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I think at this point we can safely say that the answer is always "impeachment" followed by "except this congress....".

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/391331-trump-says-he-will-ask-kneeling-athletes-to-recommend-people-for-him
    “They’re not proud enough to stand for our national anthem, I don’t like that,” Trump said to reporters outside the White House on Friday, criticizing the protests as “talk, talk, talk.”

However, he said, he plans to ask kneeling athletes to recommend “friends of theirs or people that they know about” who they think should be pardoned.

“I am going to ask all of those people to recommend to me — because that’s what they’re protesting — people that they think were unfairly treated by the justice system,” Trump said.

:rotate:

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/391331-trump-says-he-will-ask-kneeling-athletes-to-recommend-people-for-him
    “They’re not proud enough to stand for our national anthem, I don’t like that,” Trump said to reporters outside the White House on Friday, criticizing the protests as “talk, talk, talk.”

However, he said, he plans to ask kneeling athletes to recommend “friends of theirs or people that they know about” who they think should be pardoned.

“I am going to ask all of those people to recommend to me — because that’s what they’re protesting — people that they think were unfairly treated by the justice system,” Trump said.

Given that many the people they're protesting for are dead, and/or not guilty in the first place:

Anyone got a list of asylum applicants and DACA recipients?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

Oh god.

Win a pardon?

The Running Man looks more prophetic by the day.

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular

Having empathy for people you don't personally know/know of is such a foreign concept for him isnt' it?

sig.gif
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Y'know when I quipped that Trump would start seeing his pardon power as a Catholic Indulgence I was kidding, it was a joke

it was a joke

what have I done

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    All this shit widens the circle of Trump’s dirty fucking influence. It doesn’t necessarily carry the legal risk of trying to bring people into his obstruction of justice, but it allows him to undercut notable protestors’ and opponents’ criticism by attempting to offer them favors.

I hate this.

OneAngryPossum on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    EDIT: Whoops didnt refresh the page.

IGNORE ME!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Given that many the people they're protesting for are dead, and/or not guilty in the first place:

Anyone got a list of asylum applicants and DACA recipients?

Yeah I think this is the major disconnect on the whole thing. White people just fucking assume that the protest is that black folks shouldn't be getting arrested, and it's like, "Yeah, that's a nice step on the ladder, but the first rung is to maybe stop fucking murdering them and getting away with it."

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    discrider wrote: »

Oh god.

Win a pardon?

The Running Man looks more prophetic by the day.

"Basking under the Maui sun!"

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular

On the one hand I'm stunned that Trump legitimately framed kneeling athletes as anything but farting out the anthem and wiping their asses with the flag.

On the other hand, this is still a stupidly fucking myopic interpretation of the actual issue.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

“I’m going to take a look at those applications,” Trump said. “If my committee finds that they’re unfairly treated, then we will pardon them or at least let them out.

what does that even mean. what do you mean "just let them out???" that's just...that's not how it works.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    He's such an idiot. Like its enraging how dumb he is. This is the man with pardon power in this country.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Commutation is not in Trump's public vocabulary. Open question if that's because he doesn't know it or he knows his role.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Y'know when I quipped that Trump would start seeing his pardon power as a Catholic Indulgence I was kidding, it was a joke

it was a joke

what have I done

I feel this way about my Soviet sleeper agent joke every day.

He's also floating Manafort pardons today. And notably all of his potential pardons for black people are dead, or were never convicted by a crime, just summarily executed by the state.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/08/politics/trump-michael-cohen-paul-manafort/index.html
    Trump doesn't rule out pardoning Manafort, Cohen
    He added, "They haven't been convicted of anything. There's nothing to pardon."
    Nobody tell Trump preemptive pardons exist.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Isn’t Cohen only facing state charges? Trump can’t pardon those.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

The question is who's going to tell him no.

• Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

No. The raid on his place was run out of the Southern District of New York federal office.

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Vanity fair has an article that might make sense of the Alice Johnson pardon.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/06/sessions-fumes-as-kushner-pushes-pardons

Basically, what Kushner is doing lately is trying to win some points with coastal "elites." So he set up the Kardashian meeting to identify pardons they might like such as various hip-hop artists. Supposedly Trump was pleasantly surprised with the media coverage of the Johnson pardon, so Kushner is hoping to tee up a bunch more.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Johnson's specific circumstances aside, it sounds like he's going to attempt to sway liberal Hollywood by running the implication that they could arrange for the law to literally no longer apply to you or your friends - all you have to do is simply prostrate to Trump so he can look like a generous god.

This will be... something historians will be studying in the future. Yeah, let's go with that.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/396273-trump-pardons-oregon-ranchers-at-center-of-40-day-standoff
    The Hill wrote:
    President Trump on Tuesday pardoned a pair of Oregon ranchers whose arson conviction became a focus for opponents of federal government land ownership.

Dwight Hammond, 76, and his son Steven Hammond, 49, were convicted in 2012 and sent to prison on arson charges. They had set a series of fires on their ranch that spread to federal land.

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    There’s no way this won’t embolden people at all, nope nope nope

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    oh good the Bundy terrorists get legitimized

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

On the one hand I'm stunned that Trump legitimately framed kneeling athletes as anything but farting out the anthem and wiping their asses with the flag.

On the other hand, this is still a stupidly fucking myopic interpretation of the actual issue.

Its a really dumb power play

he pardons some dead black activists then whines that the protestors aren't grateful enough

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/396273-trump-pardons-oregon-ranchers-at-center-of-40-day-standoff
    The Hill wrote:
    President Trump on Tuesday pardoned a pair of Oregon ranchers whose arson conviction became a focus for opponents of federal government land ownership.

Dwight Hammond, 76, and his son Steven Hammond, 49, were convicted in 2012 and sent to prison on arson charges. They had set a series of fires on their ranch that spread to federal land.

Note that they set those fires in part to destroy evidence.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The Hill wrote:

JJ MacNab tracks militias, sovereign citizens, and domestic terrorists.

Thread:

4 counts of arson burned:
    48,000+ acres of federal land
    12,000+ acres of private land

Over half a million in damages.

Multiple counts of threatening a federal officer and witness tampering.

Edit: Or as she more succinctly put it, they were:
    Serial arsonists who threatened the lives of federal employees and used a sander on a kid's skin to punish him.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    The Hill wrote:

Perhaps he's looking for advice on how to go about doing so himself from them?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I think at this point we can safely say that the answer is always "impeachment" followed by "except this congress....".

it seems like the current check is "single-handedly provokes a revolution"

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)