As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Marvel]Thread:From Miniscule Arthropods, Murderous Tex-Mex lovers, and Marvelous Captains

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    At this point I'm comfortable saying that amount of money changing hands between corporations is a net bad regardless.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Disney just upped their bid for fox to 71.3 billion, beating the 65 billion Comcast is offering and dwarfing their original 52.4 billion bid.

Part if me can't help wonder how many people's lives you could improve with that much money.

Literally everyone in the world

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The first issue of Slott's Iron Man was surprisingly great

It is probably the most effective attempt at bringing MCU Tony to the MU I've seen, he's got the swagger and attitude of RDJ but without it coming across as a bad imitation.

But that's a double edged sword because it also glosses over the whole TONY STARK IS A BILLIONAIRE CAPITALIST stuff like the movies a fair bit, with Tony buying out a small business owner's company wholesale and telling him "hey you work for me now" which is...Not great

But overall I really enjoyed it, it's going way harder into the ridiculous Sci-fi future tech angle than past volumes have, with Stark Unlimited being basically a giant think tank for all the world's super geniuses to fuck around with whatever they want. Jocasta's role as the head of RR (Robot Resources) to make sure any AI or robots they design that are advanced enough to be self-aware aren't being forced to do things they do not wish to is such a clever idea that both helps iron out a bit of the rough edges and also leads to some great gags.

Schitti is still one of the best artists Marvel has got, and I'm happy he's being given such a crazy book to run wild on. The very first issue has
    giant Jaeger Iron Man throwing down with Fin Fang Foom.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I though the issue of Iron Man was incredibly overwritten. I don't hate Slott, but he's nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is. He does drama better than comedy

• Options
    I thought it was pretty consistently funny, myself

A few jokes definitely missed but overall it worked for me on a "good jokes" level

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I thought it was pretty consistently funny, myself

A few jokes definitely missed but overall it worked for me on a "good jokes" level

I think I soured on Slott when I saw him at Wizard World Philly and he talks/makes jokes in a very try-hard way.

I agree that a good amount of jokes landed, but a good amount of them didn't for me. And the whole "you work for me now" really didn't sit well with me in today's environment

The art was gorgeous, though. My favorite panel was Tony's treasure trail

• Options
    Oh yeah I am sure I would be driven up the wall by Slott in person judging from interviews I've read

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I though the issue of Iron Man was incredibly overwritten. I don't hate Slott, but he's nowhere near as clever as he thinks he is. He does drama better than comedy

I mean, 'being more clever than he thinks he is' is like Bendis' MO. So anyone else would be subdued by comparison

(I haaaaaaaated Bendis' Tony, almost as much as his gotg)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It is very easy to fuck up RDJ style speaking, especially in writing. It would not surprise me if Slott did not hit the target there.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Here's some of the issue so folks can decide for themselves
    gd5kSgq.jpg?1
    K0x5cYV.jpg?1
    FPh05N5.jpg?1
    Not everything lands but I think it's the closest anyone has gotten to comics RDJ yet and it's got a ton of energy behind the story and I really enjoyed it

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    the best panel of the issue though might be Jocasta in a suit

tumblr_pamu7mCdje1sphfn8o1_540.jpg

• Options
    I just realized that Machine Man should show up as Jocasta's flakey boyfriend

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just realized that Machine Man should show up as Jocasta's flakey boyfriend

I'm still super bummed he never showed up in Avengers A.I.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Not everything lands but I think it's the closest anyone has gotten to comics RDJ yet and it's got a ton of energy behind the story and I really enjoyed it

Making him lose the photos of his family comes off as a huge unnecessary dick move for what's meant to be a funny sequence.

• Options

Making him lose the photos of his family comes off as a huge unnecessary dick move for what's meant to be a funny sequence.
    (He doesn't actually lose the photos)

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    the Spectacular Spider-Man Annual that came out this week had a story with art by Chris Bachalo, and man, this might be the best Bachalo's art has looked to me in a long time

tumblr_pamxpqx1LM1sqep2mo1_540.png

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Oh wow that is some great art

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Moon Knight would never have done it.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That's a good Spideyscene

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Oh wow that is some great art

I'm a little put off by the complete lack of backgrounds.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Luke Cage Season 2 is out.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    Luke Cage Season 2 is out.

So it is, weird usually Netflix bombards me with mails whenever anything comes out.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I had to actually hunt for it this morning. It's not even up on the main screen?

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    It is on the main screen for me.

(edit, but I just pushed the series to the top of my watchlist, so that might be it).

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    I had to search for Cloak and Dagger on Hulu (ps4 app) and then it just kept getting stuck for an ad but not actually play the ad so I couldn't watch it anyway

• Options
    Cloak and Dagger is pretty good so far. A lot more atmospheric than any other Marvel show has been.

• Options
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Moon Knight would never have done it.

Moon Knight would have become the right grandchildren.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    The Wrap is reporting that Sony in its blind flailing has now landed on developing a Silk movie

https://www.thewrap.com/silk-spider-man-korean-american-heroine/

• Options
    There are reports of a Silk solo flick going around but before any one posts it and gets excited, the source is Umberto Gonzales so don't buy it

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    lol

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    ahahaha the timing...

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    aHA!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Wah

• Options
    Silk is a natural protein fiber, some forms of which can be woven into textiles. The protein fiber of silk is composed mainly of fibroin and is produced by certain insect larvae to form cocoons.[1] The best-known silk is obtained from the cocoons of the larvae of the mulberry silkworm Bombyx mori reared in captivity (sericulture). The shimmering appearance of silk is due to the triangular prism-like structure of the silk fibre, which allows silk cloth to refract incoming light at different angles, thus producing different colors.

• Options
    I wonder, can we talk about My Hero Academia here

because Shonen Jump just announced a My Heroine Academia spinoff, which is cool

• Options
    I don't think My Hero Academia is a Marvel property

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The shimmering appearance of silk is due to the triangular prism-like structure of the silk fibre, which allows silk cloth to refract incoming light at different angles, thus producing different colors.
    I had no idea! This is genuinely fascinating and enlightening.

• Options
    I wonder, can we talk about My Hero Academia here

because Shonen Jump just announced a My Heroine Academia spinoff, which is cool
    It is really cool but sadly it's in the form of 4 panel gag strips like the current gag strips rather than a proper spin off like Vigilantes

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I don't think My Hero Academia is a Marvel property
    They did cross promotion together for Infinity War so it is technically valid!

CYpGAPn.png
This discussion has been closed.