Options

[Marvel]Thread:From Miniscule Arthropods, Murderous Tex-Mex lovers, and Marvelous Captains

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Gustav wrote: »
    Brandon Graham's 'diss track' comic?
    Oh christ what

He did a pretty incoherent comic as an attempt to dunk on any critics. And that it was up to comic pros to throw him an intervention if his behavior was truly abhorrent.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Oh christ what

He did a pretty incoherent comic as an attempt to dunk on any critics. And that it was up to comic pros to throw him an intervention if his behavior was truly abhorrent.
    This is

intensely disappointing. I really like his art (and comics in general), and was under the impression the he was one of the Good Ones, based on the kind of work he did and the kind of content he curated for the "Island" comics magazine for Image. He was such a sweetheart when I talked to him at a convention a couple of years, too.

Fuckin'

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Yeah. he's been pretty instrumental in introducing me to a lot of comic artists that I would say are favorites of mine.

But yeah this shit is pretty beyond the pale. Though unfortunately not terribly surprising given how he's responded to criticism in the last few years.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I remember a while ago someone criticized him for a transphobic throw-away gag he had in "King City" (which I otherwise loved), and his reaction was something along the lines of "Yeah, I was younger and a lot more ignorant then; I'm trying to do better", which seemed reasonable to me, backed up by the kind of work he seemed to be doing at the time, and is one of the reasons I assumed he was better than that.

But, you know, the last couple of years are all about your favorite celebrities rolling over to reveal their gross-ass underbellies, so I guess this is just par for the course.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Oh man what the fuck

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Oh christ what

this is a fresh new tactic wrt to sexual misconduct

the ol' "well, you should've stopped me!!!"

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So there's a letterless preview for Multiple Man out and
    leckuaI.jpg?1
    M531vfN.jpg
    sHAczQD.jpg

It seems like exactly my kind of shit. Jamie traveling into the recent past and, essentially Groundhog Daying it with wayward dupes sounds fun as hell.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "Okay, we're telling you to--"

"SHUT UP YOU DON'T CONTROL ME"

• Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    So there's a letterless preview for Multiple Man out and
    leckuaI.jpg?1
    M531vfN.jpg
    sHAczQD.jpg

It seems like exactly my kind of shit. Jamie traveling into the recent past and, essentially Groundhog Daying it with wayward dupes sounds fun as hell.

that art is perfect for a Multiple Man comic.

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I've been reading through New Avengers AIM, and it really is incredible how well Ewing is able to integrate event crossovers into his ongoing narrative.

• Options
    Spoilers for Infinity Countdown this week

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Now I'm SUPER pissed Duggan isn't sticking around on the cosmic stuff after infinity wars.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    I've been reading through New Avengers AIM, and it really is incredible how well Ewing is able to integrate event crossovers into his ongoing narrative.

He makes all the other event tie ins look so clumsy, seriously

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So I got Marvel Unlimited for a month, to test out. Initial impressions are OK, but the interface is kinda clunky, and the 12 item download is a huge drag (I mainly wanted it as something to read on break at work, where wifi is sparse, depending on how slow the night is I could blow through 12 issues...) and it's weird there's no option to read as trades, to cut down on menu surfing between issues.

But I mostly like it! Anyone got recommendations for stuff I should look at? I pretty much have only read 90s X-Men stuff and more recent Marvel Now stuff, from like 2012 onwards.

First thing I jumped into was Doctor Strange's The Oath storyline. He opened a gateway with a spell using a waving lucky cat. Comics are the fucking best.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    yeah it's a great service that's really hurt by some terrible design/UI decisions

if you can believe it, they've actually improved markedly over the last couple years

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So I got Marvel Unlimited for a month, to test out. Initial impressions are OK, but the interface is kinda clunky, and the 12 item download is a huge drag (I mainly wanted it as something to read on break at work, where wifi is sparse, depending on how slow the night is I could blow through 12 issues...) and it's weird there's no option to read as trades, to cut down on menu surfing between issues.

But I mostly like it! Anyone got recommendations for stuff I should look at? I pretty much have only read 90s X-Men stuff and more recent Marvel Now stuff, from like 2012 onwards.

First thing I jumped into was Doctor Strange's The Oath storyline. He opened a gateway with a spell using a waving lucky cat. Comics are the fucking best.

Joss Whedon Astonishing X-men is pretty excellent. If you decide to read that I recommend you read grant Morrisons X-men run first. Its a much more flawed run and I'm sure at least one person here will warn you against it but there is some really good stuff there and its very much the comic where everything changes. The first issue everything will be more or less what you remember from the 90's and by the end you will be in the modern era.

Jonathon Hickmans Fantastic Four run.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I guess some people like it but Quitely's art just makes my skin crawl and it really detracts from the Morrison books

Ideally you'd just like, read the parts of it that lead up to the Whedon book and skip the rest of the weird storylines. In practice you can't really do that without knowing what you're looking at already. I wonder if anyone's ever done like, an 'essential new x-men reading order' thing

hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Don't know which titles you have on unlimited, but good titles from ~2000-2010:

X-titles:
    Morrison X-Men
    Whedon X-Men
    Milligan X-Force/X-Statix
    Ellis/Grant X-Man
    Winnick Exiles (Drop it like a rock when you see Austen's name on a cover).
    David X-Factor (though it runs out of steam around the later half of the series IMHO). Read Madrox mini-series first.

Avengers:
    Brubaker's Captain America

General Marvel titles:
    Annihilation and everything involved (Guardians, Nova)
    Immortal Iron Fist
    Incredible Hercules

This is just from memory, there probably was more good stuff around that time.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    X-Men Legacy (2012) is a fantastic series about Legion. It's similar, but in some ways very different than the show.

Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe is a miniseries I'm very fond of.

I highly recommend all of Jason Aaron's work with Wolverine too.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular

I have two recommendations that I basically have to make to stay on brand: Walt Simonson's Thor, and Kieron Gillen's Journey Into Mystery.

Simonson's Thor is the defining run on the character, and introduces the best member of his supporting cast (Beta Ray Bill), and has one of the all time great comic moments in Gjallerbru. This is a pretty easy one to follow, start with Thor #337 and proceed from there.

Journey Into Mystery is a bit more complicated, but it's also my single favourite comics story of all time.
    Welcome to Fearghaill's guide to Journey Into Mystery: A Comedy In Thirty Parts (Or A Tragedy in Thirty-One)
    okay, so part of the beauty of JiM is that while it launched as part of a major event (Fear Itself) and regularly got caught up in them, the nature of the story is that it was always on the fringes showing another story happening off-camera. Which is good, because Fear itself was mostly bad. As a result, you don't need to read too much other than the actual Journey Into Mystery issues aside from a short crossover with New Mutants, and eventually The Mighty Thor for the final Everything Burns story.

1) Siege: Loki one-shot by Gillen lays the foundation for what is to come

2) JIM proper. Journey Into Mystery, 622-636

3)Exiled crossover, Exiled #1 (of 1) kicks it off, then alternating JIM #637, New Mutants #42, JIM #638, NM #43

4) (briefly) back to JIM, Journey Into Mystery #639-641

5) EVERYTHING BURNS, The Mighty Thor #18, JIM #642, TMT #19, JIM #643, TMT #20, JIM #644. TMT #21. JIM #645, TMT #22

Also, if you enjoy JIM I highly recommend continuing with Gillen & McKelvie's Young Avengers. It is a different book, and a bit more of an acquired taste, but I love it and it does really interesting things to continue Loki's story

(and after that Al Ewing's Loki, Agent of Asgard is also excellent)

• Options
    X-Men Legacy (2012) is a fantastic series about Legion. It's similar, but in some ways very different than the show.

Longshot Saves the Marvel Universe is a miniseries I'm very fond of.

I highly recommend all of Jason Aaron's work with Wolverine too.

Ah, Legion reminds me:

a woman at my work wants to start reading books about Legion (I already warned her that the comics are quite different). I've recommended her the Spurrier series, noted that the original New Mutants only had a little Legion in it, but is still worth for other reasons (Sienkiewicz!), but has anybody read the current Legion series? Milligan is probably my personal award winner for Most Uneven Writer, he has brilliant stuff, he has mediocre stuff, he has terrible stuff.

• Options
    I read the first issue and was fairly underwhelmed, unfortunately.

• Options
    Return of Wolverine announced by Charles Soule and Steve McNiven

Since Wolverine #1 has already been slated for September I wouldn't be surprised if this what that classified X-Men book is

Logan is back from the dead and apparently has a new power which causes his claws to heat up a whole bunch and I guess he's got lightsaber claws now

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Unless this is like

He's possessed by a demon of some sort that is trying to take control of him but his healing factor manages to suppress it somehow and is turns the hellfire into superheated claws but the whole reason he is back on earth is still because he's possessed and this will break bad for him

Then that is incredibly dumb

And even if it is my idea, it's still very dumb

• Options
    The thing is

The whole Wolverine coming back from the dead and being possessed by a demon from Hell story was done by Jason Aaron in the early 2010s

So even if it is that, it'll be a re-hash!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Okay it isn't X-Classified, it's a 5 issue mini starting in September

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Return of Wolverine announced by Charles Soule and Steve McNiven

Since Wolverine #1 has already been slated for September I wouldn't be surprised if this what that classified X-Men book is

Logan is back from the dead and apparently has a new power which causes his claws to heat up a whole bunch and I guess he's got lightsaber claws now

Classifying it would be silly then as we already knew he was coming back, since he’s been around since last September and currently has four ongoing stories focused on finding him.

Also amused at them taking the joke power from Honey Badger from the future in the last Wolverine story arc and gave them to Logan.

Edit: just saw Blank’s most recent message, so yeah it isn’t X-classified.

never die on
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The thing is

The whole Wolverine coming back from the dead and being possessed by a demon from Hell story was done by Jason Aaron in the early 2010s

Oh damn it I forgot about that

• Options
    Lightsaber claws are Logan's secondary mutation.

• Options
    I read the first issue and was fairly underwhelmed, unfortunately.

Thanks, not suprising sadly.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    They're not lightsaber claws, they're hot claws

So he can cut butter

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I will only accept that if it leads to Pete Wisdom dunking on him

• Options
    Jordan White confirmed that Ta-Nehisi Coates and Jen Bartel's Storm series is currently off the table due to both of their schedules.

Also, there is an unannounced X-Book which will have Jean, Kitty and Storm on it.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Wait so they arent doing a Storm book but will in the future?

never die on
  • Options
    He said that he believes they really want to do the book, but there are no tangible plans as of right now.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I saw Deadpool 2 last night and it was fine?

It was okay, nothing awful but nothing spectacular.

But the highlight of the film for me was that Josh Brollin's was way more Todd in this film than in Infinity War.

He drinks can beer, drives a truck with truck-nutz, and shit-talks dubstep anytime he can.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I saw Deadpool 2 last night and it was fine?

It was okay, nothing awful but nothing spectacular.

But the highlight of the film for me was that Josh Brollin's was way more Todd in this film than in Infinity War.

He drinks can beer, drives a truck with truck-nutz, and shit-talks dubstep anytime he can.

The weirdest thing about Cable is when you realize he doesnt hate it because he’s a bitter old man but because that was what his parents generation listened to.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    The thing is

Technically he never died in that story arc, he got kidnapped and the Red Right Hand did a ritual to send his soul to Hell, which resulted in a demon possessing his body.

• Options
    Marvel seems to have just up and dropped the first issue of a digital-first Cloak and Dagger series on Comixology. It's by Dennis Hopeless and David Messina.

https://www.comixology.com/Cloak-And-Dagger-2018/comics-series/119487

This discussion has been closed.