As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad Food] Mightn't I the gristle?

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The worst thing Red Robin ever did was discontinue their tempura broccoli. What's worse, they still sell tempura zucchini, and they still sell steamed broccoli, but I can never get them to just put some fucking broccoli in the tempura then why is that too much of a request

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    five guys is my go to burger before a movie

i mean, it helps that the theater i go to is attached to a five guys, but yeah -- they are intrinsically linked for me

the food options there are altogether pretty great

taco bell, ivar's, and piroshki piroshki are all right there too

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i have definitely brought taco bell into a movie there before

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    i have definitely brought taco bell into a movie there before

Hopefully it was Demolition Man

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    eating out before a movie? naw, everyone's on their own for dinner, we're going for 2am breakfast in a diner afterwards

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I make sure to get Piroshki Piroshki whenever the opportunity presents itself. They are like the baked goods you get from the hot box in almost any Australian bakery.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I know Red Robin gets shit on sometimes but it is hard to beat a good burger & unlimited steak fires for $7.

Plus Red Robin now serves entire steins of beer.

It is my favorite place to eat at before going to see a film.

The Royal Robin is legit a really tasty burger, and it introduced me to the heaven that is a fried egg on a burger.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I 100% like Red Robin's food more than Five Guys. I enjoy sitting in a Red Robin's more than Five Guys. I think Red Robin's has better sauces on hand than Five Guy's. I think Red Robin's is a better place to go if you have a group larger than 4 people.

The only thing I have to recommend about Five Guys more than Red Robin's is that Five Guys has the big giant bag of fries. If Five Guys were to be renamed based on what I actually want from them, it'd be named "Five Guys Bags o' Fries".

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    I 100% like Red Robin's food more than Five Guys. I enjoy sitting in a Red Robin's more than Five Guys. I think Red Robin's has better sauces on hand than Five Guy's. I think Red Robin's is a better place to go if you have a group larger than 4 people.

The only thing I have to recommend about Five Guys more than Red Robin's is that Five Guys has the big giant bag of fries. If Five Guys were to be renamed based on what I actually want from them, it'd be named "Five Guys Bags o' Fries".

This sums up my thoughts so well, I almost feel like I've found a soulmate.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    a burgmate, if you will

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2018
    Bad Food Prep related:

I went to the grocery store here in Hong Kong to stock up in case Mangkhut keeps me from being able to go out to eat tomorrow (tragic) and/or keeps me in the city for a bit of extra time, and came out with:

1 container hummus
    1 container crudités
    bag of broccoli florets
    some apples
    pita chips
    olives and feta cheese
    A premade chicken salad
    Some yogurts
    instant coffee
    A bag of mint caramels

This is how you prep for possible disasters, right?

E: to be clear, I immediately bought two giant water containers upon arrival yesterday)

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    yes

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I mean, that is a good list but you better get ready for a surprise hotdog pack.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    l_gl_g Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the people of Hong Kong could make food out of anything, and it would mostly not give food poisoning to the locals; this is not because of being profit-driven, but because of the long history of needing to figure out how to make something out of what is available.

Like, I 100% expect that the moment a 大排檔 can be set up without being literally too flooded to prepare food, you're going to see them up and they'll have "hurricane specials" that some random granny will recognize as something she had the last time this big of a hurricane struck a century ago or something.

Cole's Law: "Thinly sliced cabbage."
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Mint caramel?

I am intrigued!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    #pipe wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    I never order standard cheeseburgers in a restaurant, I can make those at home and I'll probably like it more anyway

I'm kinda the opposite. The further away from basic a burger gets the less likely I am to enjoy it.

Fancy expensive high concept burgers are usually weaker than the sum of their parts.

I typically favour a cheaper simpler burger myself, but there is a burger place here that makes a burger called "The Steaky" which is made with a Turkish roll and consists of a striploin steak, crispy bacon, caramelised onions, tomato, lettuce, BBQ relish, and aioli. It's $15, but it comes with a side of nice chips and some decent salad. There is also "The Steaky Deluxx" ($16) which nixes the bacon but adds grilled capsicum, grilled mushroom, sliced beetroot, and cheese. I get the Deluxx, but swap out the mushroom and beetroot for the crispy bacon from the Steaky. It's absolutely divine, and worth both the price and the hour-and-a-half round trip.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    if i'm getting a burger somewhere i'm gonna want at least cheese, onions, some decent sauce, tomato and some greenery. Which is generally the standard for most places doing burgers that aren't mcdonalds-y fast food places. Most pubs/cafes/places doing a burger will have all of that and if you don't want any of those you tell them. hell, i straight up don't get the appeal of a cheeseburger with just the meat and cheese. Not all burgers have to come with the lot, but they've still got a few trappings that i like

but also since we don't have the same sort of burger/sandwich distinction i'm way more open to get novelty burgers

• Options
    i should put more pickles on burgers since those are good but i haven't made burgers for myself in a long while

• Options
    I am perfectly content to have a burg with just a patty, pickles, and a dab of ketchup if all the ingredients are high quality. It's such a great, simple flavor combo.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Damn I could go for a burger or six

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'll eat a burg however the chef is serving it. Plain, cheese only, cheese and condiments, pickles and all sorts of crazy sauces. There's no bad burg for me.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Damn I could go for a burger or six

My apartment had a resident BBQ and I had a burger for dinner and I could still go for another one.

• Options
    i guess i don't come to a burger just for a patty

i come to a burger for the whole production

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    if i'm getting a burger somewhere i'm gonna want at least cheese, onions, some decent sauce, tomato and some greenery. Which is generally the standard for most places doing burgers that aren't mcdonalds-y fast food places. Most pubs/cafes/places doing a burger will have all of that and if you don't want any of those you tell them. hell, i straight up don't get the appeal of a cheeseburger with just the meat and cheese. Not all burgers have to come with the lot, but they've still got a few trappings that i like

but also since we don't have the same sort of burger/sandwich distinction i'm way more open to get novelty burgers

When I talk about high concept burgers I'm not talking about lettuce and tomato and onion. Those are all normal, standard things.

I'm talking about your SOUTHERN BBQ SMOKEHOUSE PATRIOT burger with honey glazed andouille sausage and Green Chile queso and caramelized arugula and a fucking deep fried cowboy hat.

• Options
    that still sounds great

put all of the burgers in my mouth

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    When I return to Texas in January I'm probably going to eat mostly burgers again. And Brazilian BBQ.

• Options
    oh god brazilian steakhouses are a thing too

i should agitate for date night at Fogo de Chao

• Options
    i want to eat all of the things.

• Options
    It occurs to me that Fogo de Chao is probably very friendly towards low-carb diets considering it is basically All The Meat.

• Options
    peanut butter is about as fancy as i go with my burgs

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    peanut butter is about as fancy as i go with my burgs

Anything beyond a fried egg on it gets a red flag from me.

• Options
    I won't lie I am basically fantasizing about eating the Pereida Burger at Southtown 101 again and it is some torment considering that's four months out.

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    I won't lie I am basically fantasizing about eating the Pereida Burger at Southtown 101 again and it is some torment considering that's four months out.

Praise be to Southtown 101.

• Options
    it has been too long since i built a lonestar beeramid

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    #pipe wrote: »
    Lalabox wrote: »

When I talk about high concept burgers I'm not talking about lettuce and tomato and onion. Those are all normal, standard things.

I'm talking about your SOUTHERN BBQ SMOKEHOUSE PATRIOT burger with honey glazed andouille sausage and Green Chile queso and caramelized arugula and a fucking deep fried cowboy hat.

yeah same

like, because a burger is generally a biggish thing with at least a few ingredients, and because having a pulled pork burger or a fried chicken burger or haloumi burger or whatever is pretty popular to have on a menu

to me, it feels like a big old high concept burger isn't that much of a step beyond what I might expect as a burger

apart from with price, but honestly I know far too few mid-tier burger places that are the step between mcdonaldsy places, and your real boutique burgers where the starting price for the most basic burgers are in the high teens.

• Options
    i should give peanut butter a try, but i've never seen it on the menu anywhere so i'd have to make burgers myself and eh

• Options
    my rule of thumb with burg construction is if the burg is any less than 2/3 patty in between the buns, it's too complicated

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I could go for a pastrami burger. god damn this thread.

tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    So a Korean steakhouse opened near my house and I think I'm going to hit it up this weekend. What do you guys think sounds good on their menu?

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Im not adversed to PB on a burger flavorwise but I feel like the thickness would be off putting

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.