As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cultist Simulator: Priest and Ghoul DLC out now! Anthology Edition available!

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I am hairless and imperishable via the society of st hydra!

This game went way way more easily than the previous one - got an early forgt 12 tool and the first book i was able to take to rank 12 was forge as well. Never even learned Fucine or made it to the peacock door.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Died last night to a hunter while waiting for farm the right influence to finish my ascension. I had the lore and tool I needed, just needed to pull a level 15 lantern influence. Forgot that hunters don't need any notoriety with damning evidence.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    Died last night to a hunter while waiting for farm the right influence to finish my ascension. I had the lore and tool I needed, just needed to pull a level 15 lantern influence. Forgot that hunters don't need any notoriety with damning evidence.

Wait, I thought
    Damning Evidence only lost you the game if you had no followers?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited July 2018

Wait, I thought
    Google for random Reddit posts says 70% chance they take a follower, 30% chance they take you. I've definitely been arrested with followers on the field.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

Wait, I thought
    Google for random Reddit posts says 70% chance they take a follower, 30% chance they take you. I've definitely been arrested with followers on the field.

Wow, I feel like i've been incredibly lucky, lol.
    The action space seemed to say otherwise, so i assumed it wouldn't even get you. spooky.

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular

Wait, I thought

Wow, I feel like i've been incredibly lucky, lol.
    The action space seemed to say otherwise, so i assumed it wouldn't even get you. spooky.
    My last run I got nabbed first time, even though I had a stable of about 12 mooks and was just getting rolling with summons :(

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Avoiding hunters early game:
    If you're in the early game where you don't have the resources yet to summon Voiceless Dead to erase evidence or Maid-in-the-Mirror to erase hunters, and provided you have a job, just don't let the hunters find anything. Once one gets Tentative Evidence, just stop doing anything except going to work and shopping for books until the timer runs out on Tentative Evidence. You might pick up Restlessness from the red hook events depending on where your ascendency is at but the odd visit to the burlesque or dreaming with opium for Contentment are relatively safe.

It's boring just grinding work and not doing any fun culty stuff but it's pretty easy to keep a low profile to survive the early game until your summons are available. Even if getting your cultists arrested were a sure thing, they're a limited resource and you don't want to waste them in prison.

All this assuming, of course, that your hunter doesn't have...Erratic? The one where they occasionally 'find' evidence without any Notoriety.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Alexis Kennedy sent out this Kickstarter update today with the roadmap for the game's future development:
    Anyway, here's the plans! THIS PLAN IS NOT FINAL AND ANY AND ALL OF THE POINTS BELOW MAY CHANGE UNDER WHIM OR WEATHER. I've included our current thinking on what'll be a free update and what'll be paid DLC.

TERESA'S BUILD (probably roughly end August)

'The finest artisans all dream of the White Door in the end. I'm no artisan, only a scholar. I think there's a Secret that all these artisans know, but I think that Secret is only half the story.'

Focus on followers:

Wounded and Missing conditions [free]
    Rebellion [free]
    Romance [free]
    More uses for Talk, finally [free]
    The Tainted Blood advanced victory, and the Long Hunt [free]
    Enhancements to the Detective Legacy [free]
    The Dancer Legacy: hone your flesh and spirit at the Ecdysis Club [paid]

CHRISTOPHER'S BUILD (probably roughly end October)

'To reach the Stag Door, I believe that all you really need is to want something enough. But I've never wanted anything that much, except of course [Teresa], and I'm very much afraid that the knot in the story is this: what [Teresa] wants is the Stag Door.'

Focus on scholarship and expeditions:

a use for the Scholarship skill! [free]
    enhanced Research mechanics [free]
    more specific goals for expeditions [free]
    player-written tomes [free]
    The Shaped advanced victory [free]
    Expedition stories [free and/or paid]
    Apostle Legacy: take up the mantle of a fallen cult leader [paid]
    Priest Legacy: when your faith fails, where will you turn? [paid]

MY LORD FRANKLIN BANCROFT'S BUILD (probably roughly end January 2019)

'Bancroft seems to have been a talented adept, but devoted his energies to frustratingly whimsical projects: arranging 'grape-fetching races' between Mansus-spirits, teaching Percussigants to juggle, and conjuring storms of imaginary blossoms for the rose-witch [Fionna] Ayrshire, who resolutely refused ever to couple with him. Bancroft spends twenty pages bemoaning this last.'

Focus on earthly pleasures, and their consequences:

Luxuries! The Delights of High Living [free]
    The Ravages of Age! Which May Yet Be Averted [free]
    Beyond Notoriety: Infamy! [free]
    Painting: A Bouquet of Engrandisements [free]
    Hard Times: Seasons of Wretchedly Straitened Resource [free]
    Golden Days: Occasions of Munificence [free]
    Pets and Familiars: (We May Count At Least On These Little Souls When All Humankind Proves Both Cruel And Faithless: Ah, Fionna) [free]
    Patron Stories: Opportunities for Close and Warm Acquaintance [free and/or paid]
    Familiar Legacy: Less than Human, and More [paid]
    Survivor Legacy: What Have Ye Done [paid]

We've got some other stuff on the boil as well, but when I pre-announce things Lottie looks disappointed at me, so please imagine a vaudeville hook has appeared stage left at this point to hook me off.

Something to note is that the content labeled "paid" is only the case for people who don't have the Perpetual Edition. If you're numbered among the Know who Kickstarted, preordered, or bought the game within its first...week?...you're going to get every new thing forever.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    jake i bought it when you yelled at me to buy it before a certain date

am i perpetual

sig.gif
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    jake i bought it when you yelled at me to buy it before a certain date

am i perpetual

you should be, yes!

there's a way to check, pinned on the steam discussion board, if you dare to enter there

I recommend bringing along a couple of Edge and Lantern cultists, and Moth to forget what you have seen

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Ooh, that all sounds positively delightful.

And yay for perpetual edition.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Aw hell yes this all looks great

I just have the steam version but I'm happy to give the developer money to show how much I love this game

In my current run, I have finally reached the point where I can get Disciples (of the Church of the Bright Edge), so it's time to stop playing Going to Morland's Simulator and start playing Indiana Jones Simulator

...wouldn't mind recruiting some of the Edge cultists though! How do I always have 3 Heart cultists before anything else--I must be very charming and benign-seeming...

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    credeiki wrote: »
    Aw hell yes this all looks great

I just have the steam version but I'm happy to give the developer money to show how much I love this game

In my current run, I have finally reached the point where I can get Disciples (of the Church of the Bright Edge), so it's time to stop playing Going to Morland's Simulator and start playing Indiana Jones Simulator

...wouldn't mind recruiting some of the Edge cultists though! How do I always have 3 Heart cultists before anything else--I must be very charming and benign-seeming...

smh
    It is just like IRL, you must get a high paying Reason job where you don't do much and keep your nose clean. One of the only things you can do as a lazy board member with no nefarious activities is find named acquaintances and patrons. I fucked up attendance and got dismissed with only $225 or so and I have actually run down to the 40s and I still haven't won :(

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    That all sounds pretty cool but man that table is going to get crowded by the late game with all those new mechanics and stuff.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    im imagining table management will become a feature he rolls in

no other way round it, especially if he wants to do a more mobile friendly version

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Wait, did I say I was ready to go on expeditions? Actually what I meant is that I have to dream of horrors potent enough to advance my followers in the cult of the knife (we have lore 6, we need 2 more edge to promote, so)--and of course, a new dream is needed for each one. This is going to take...a while.

• Options
    Wait, did I say I was ready to go on expeditions? Actually what I meant is that I have to dream of horrors potent enough to advance my followers in the cult of the knife (we have lore 6, we need 2 more edge to promote, so)--and of course, a new dream is needed for each one. This is going to take...a while.

Things aren't so bad

Think of the money you'll make while you do that

sig.gif
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    When I played my Forge Cult, an early Expedition got me some useful pigment that I managed to turn into an awesome Forge painting that I could use to easily advance all my Cultist to their highest levels over and over again.
    That run ended with me going insane before ever even venturing into the Woods.

My current Knock Cult Leader doesn't really have anything. All I can do is dream to the Woods or the Doors and hope that I maybe get something useful enough to turn one Follower into a Disciple before having to go back to the RNG grind. Or unlock a new Expedition that gets me some good stuff for once.

I really didn't know how good I had it before.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Is there any particular recipe for arcane paintings?
    Whenever I tried painting with artefact pigments I just got lots of notoriety for my efforts.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Whenever I tried painting with artefact pigments I just got lots of notoriety for my efforts.
    I don't know, but I strongly suspect you need to paint a subject that has a sufficient amount of the associated lore. And possibly max out the passion investment too? I didn't really experiment with this once it worked.

• Options
    I had two Keys, yet that wasn't sufficient to unlock the prison door.

Ah, well. I was getting tired of this Cult anyway.

• Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular

I always max passion and paint a disciple, in addition to that last ingredient.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    so I've been doing some thinking

specifically regarding The Sun Before Me

you know, the achievement no one's gotten yet

common wisdom is that it's probably not implemented yet

but that's not the Alexis Kennedy modus operandi

this is the man who put in the special Passion destiny in fallen london, only accessible to people who have made very specific, entirely secret and totally optional decisions in previous parts of the game

he's also the person responsible for the Heptagoat, a special companion that requires you to buy an incredibly expensive goat demon, do that a second time, wait for a special opportunity to breed/combine the two goats into a special ULTRA hellgoat, do that seven more times, and only then will you be rewarded with the Heptagoat, the Kid from Below, The Chosen One Of Whom The Prophecy Spoke

so my bet is, this achievement is already in the game

now, what would be the hardest, most punishing but most thematically appropriate way to get that secret ending?

my conclusion: not founding a cult. going on expeditions using only hirelings and summons and never, ever recruiting anyone or getting a passion. Then, do all that, getting the special Rite Intercalate, and sacrificing one "ultimate" item from all the different aspects, to ascend even further beyond

So, that's my mission right now. I am going to punish myself, using this game.

wish me luck.

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Finally got a victory that wasn't "Settle down into a mundane life".

Getting all the final bits together was... tough. And tedious. And included a summon that I got early and didn't want to time out.

So I just jammed that summon into the Talk slot over and over again to stop its timer while I was busy gathering and combining the last few bits I needed.

Just making constant, pointless small talk with a bellowing creature of smoke and fire just so that he'd stick around longer.

Not exactly the kind of thing I'd imagine a cult leader to do when they're on the brink of completing their great work, but hey, whatever works.

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Finally got a victory that wasn't "Settle down into a mundane life".

Getting all the final bits together was... tough. And tedious. And included a summon that I got early and didn't want to time out.

So I just jammed that summon into the Talk slot over and over again to stop its timer while I was busy gathering and combining the last few bits I needed.

Just making constant, pointless small talk with a bellowing creature of smoke and fire just so that he'd stick around longer.

Not exactly the kind of thing I'd imagine a cult leader to do when they're on the brink of completing their great work, but hey, whatever works.

"I HAVE FOUND YOUR OFFERING WORTHY MORTAL AND SO YOU SHALL HAVE A PORTION OF MY TIME. DO NOT TAKE SUCH A BOON LIGHTLY."
    "Sooo . . . what did you think about the last season of Westworld?"
    "I WAS ANCIENT WHEN THE CREATURES OF THE OCEANS FIRST YEARNED TO LEAVE THE WATER. KNOWLEDGE OF THE COSMOS AND THE SIXTY FIVE BETWEEN REALMS IS WOVEN INTO MY PSYCHE. AND I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE CHRONOLOGY OF THE LAST SEASON."
    "And what was up with that post-credits scene?"
    "I NO LONGER AM SURE WHAT CHARACTERS ARE HUMANS AND WHICH ARE ROBOTS. IT IS MORE CONFUSING THAN WHEN THE LEOPARD OF THE RAIN TRANSFORMS INTO THE SNAKE OF DREAMS YET IS STILL THE LEOPARD OF THE RAIN. AND DON"T EVEN GET ME STARTED ON THE PACING . . ."

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options

It sounds like they became a bit sad at the reviews from all the people who tried to play it and then were like oops I wanted a AAA game not a weird card game about yearning and mystery

If I wanted to write to the devs and tell them Cultist Simulator is The Best, how do I even do that?

• Options

It sounds like they became a bit sad at the reviews from all the people who tried to play it and then were like oops I wanted a AAA game not a weird card game about yearning and mystery

If I wanted to write to the devs and tell them Cultist Simulator is The Best, how do I even do that?

leave em a positive review but you can dm him on twitter - i have before and he responded. i think he would love to hear

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    Cultist SImulator is 33% off over at humble bundle if anyone is interested in picking it up, also the steam page currently has a broadcast from Systemchalk on it who is a very knowledgeable CS player, go check him out!

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    There's a merch store for cultist simulator? Where?!

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Aegis wrote: »
    There's a merch store for cultist simulator? Where?!

In a later post she says an Etsy shop is incoming.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Cards got added!

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Cards got added!

DLC or steam trading cards?

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Steam trading.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Cards got added!

DLC or steam trading cards?

My first though seeing that was that new content had dropped for the game, actually.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    After my one victorious run, I put the game aside. But I think I'll be back once the update/DLC hits.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    so I've been doing some thinking

specifically regarding The Sun Before Me

you know, the achievement no one's gotten yet

common wisdom is that it's probably not implemented yet

but that's not the Alexis Kennedy modus operandi

this is the man who put in the special Passion destiny in fallen london, only accessible to people who have made very specific, entirely secret and totally optional decisions in previous parts of the game

he's also the person responsible for the Heptagoat, a special companion that requires you to buy an incredibly expensive goat demon, do that a second time, wait for a special opportunity to breed/combine the two goats into a special ULTRA hellgoat, do that seven more times, and only then will you be rewarded with the Heptagoat, the Kid from Below, The Chosen One Of Whom The Prophecy Spoke

so my bet is, this achievement is already in the game

now, what would be the hardest, most punishing but most thematically appropriate way to get that secret ending?

my conclusion: not founding a cult. going on expeditions using only hirelings and summons and never, ever recruiting anyone or getting a passion. Then, do all that, getting the special Rite Intercalate, and sacrificing one "ultimate" item from all the different aspects, to ascend even further beyond

So, that's my mission right now. I am going to punish myself, using this game.

wish me luck.

so, I've done it

it's been hell

only having to rely on hirelings (with each popping up randomly in health searches) and summons (which are a hell to maintain), I've gotten all end level incantations, all end level items incluidng the one that lets me get into the peacock door without cost, and the rite intercalate. I've even avoided using any of the books that are part of a collection! that means I have a ton of books, unused, that I'm hoarding just in case one of the summons does something special with them, like

Theresa

all this, without a cult or disciples of any sort

but the Sun Before Me still eludes me

one of the books that grant the intercalate describes the prophesied new sun as something not "in the color of blood" but also not "in the color of night"

so, does that mean some sort of color/aspect combo I need to achieve that excludes heart, grail and snow? is snow even is the color of night, considering it might be thought of as the color of the Madrugad, who presides over it? or does the color of night refer to the special dyes, meaning I shouldn't use them in the rite?

and should that mean I have to maintain my Ambition as Enlightenment? but how do you even get your Ambition to 6 when you can't reliably capture prisoners, as you have no followers and no cult base to throw hirelings into prison?

And what's more, the Intercalate says it is used only in desperate situations - does that imply I have to use it only when one of the distress countdowns (distress/sickness/suspicion/etc.) is counting down in the red?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options

(The date is October 16)

(The price is 3 dollars)

I wonder if the new Ascensions are going to work exactly the same as the three we have now, because I have the feeling scraping together 36 Moth or Heart is going to be a lot tougher than putting together 36 Grail/Forge/Lantern.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    CHANGE COMES FROM WITHIN ALEXIS!!!