As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cultist Simulator: Priest and Ghoul DLC out now! Anthology Edition available!

1789101113»

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    (cross-posted from SE++'s PC games thread)

I had the notion to try and win without
    visiting the Mansus.

I'm making a bit of progress and gearing up for some expeditions, when I realized there's a small snag: I have a lot fewer Secret Histories than I expected. So I pulled up my notes file and I'm seeing a severe lack of ways to collect that lore. There are a very few that you can find in books, but it doesn't look like they will be enough, even with judicious use of the study verb.

From previous victories I know I can get an infinite supply from the Mansus, but I thought I'd check: is there some other way to collect them?

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I could swear there was another way to get them. Streets Strange by Moonlight, or something like that?

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I believe Streets Strange by Moonlight can only give you Influences (and I believe Contentment and Fascination?). Not Lore.

I'm... fairly sure Lore only comes from Books (and things that kind of work the same as books, like STUMM). And, in the case of Secret Histories, from the Mansus.

I ran through a couple Streets Strange and didn't end up with any lore. Fleeting Reminiscence has the aspect of Secret History lore and can be used with explore, but the dozen or so I used last night didn't yield anything relevant. It's a bummer that you can only use them to improve the moth or lantern influences, and not combine them to gain a Scrap.

I'll see how far I can with just the first round of Secret History Lore, but I suspect I'll be needing to visit the Mansus. Thanks!

Priest and Ghoul are out now. These new backgrounds can show up randomly when starting a new game. However, Priest will always show up after a Fascination loss and Ghoul will always show up after a Dread loss.

Also there are some new Ascensions, which... probably means there's now a victory for every type of Lore maybe?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Expecting little change to the grind I can’t see me rushing back to this. Was that mystery unobtainable achievement ever worked out?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Expecting little change to the grind I can’t see me rushing back to this. Was that mystery unobtainable achievement ever worked out?

Oh yeah, I got that one. You get it when you achieve one of the Apostle-specific victories.

• CalescentCalescent Registered User regular
    The latest update added a new button to the left of the Pause button that has an image of three overlapping cards. I clicked on it but didn't notice anything happening. Anyone know what it does?

Steam: Calidaria
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Calescent wrote: »
    The latest update added a new button to the left of the Pause button that has an image of three overlapping cards. I clicked on it but didn't notice anything happening. Anyone know what it does?

I don't have time to check but maybe it lets you stack cards?

Good idea, but stacking doesn't appear to be the answer. If only I could use the skills I learned figuring out how to run a cult and apply them to figuring out the user interface...

Whoops, you were right 21stCentury, the new button *does* involve stacking. I found the patch notes which helped me realize that it combines split stacks of the same card, rather than overlapping different cards which is what I was trying earlier. Thanks for responding!

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Picked this up since it was half price. Had a few runs and I'm think I've figured out how the opening game kinda works. However, on the last two runs I've suddenly been killed, seemingly out of nowhere. I didn't notice what got me, just that suddenly the camera zooms on on a glowing purple thingy which exploded and I'm left with the following screen:
    b7yeObL.jpg

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Picked this up since it was half price. Had a few runs and I'm think I've figured out how the opening game kinda works. However, on the last two runs I've suddenly been killed, seemingly out of nowhere. I didn't notice what got me, just that suddenly the camera zooms on on a glowing purple thingy which exploded and I'm left with the following screen:
    b7yeObL.jpg

You might have had a countdown from meeting a certain benefactor.

b7yeObL.jpg

You might have had a countdown from meeting a certain benefactor.

To put things a little more clearly and a lot more spoiler-y.
    One of your potential patrons, Poppy, offers you a deal: she gives you a lot of Funds and you will provide someone to 'end things properly'.

A sacrifice. She wants a human sacrifice.

If you accept her deal then, after some time, you will need to offer her one of your Cultists (Pawns are OK, too). This happens in a special block that pops up after you take her deal. You don't have to offer Poppy the sacrifice through the Talk verb or anything. Anyway, if you do not offer up one of your Cultists in time, Poppy will take you as the sacrifice and the game ends.

Thanks guys. I recognise the message you mentioned Wotan. Man, I must just not have noticed it twice. Welp, third time's the charm!

Thanks guys. I recognise the message you mentioned Wotan. Man, I must just not have noticed it twice. Welp, third time's the charm!

You can just ignore her if you want to. You don't have to make a deal with that particular devil.

I started an Apostle Entheate legacy, made a pretty big mess of things pretty quickly, and hit restart. It didn't build things based on my ascension: and now everything's a bit muddled. My legacy cultist (Rose!) has Edge; my lore is Lantern, and the cult is Grail. Something seems very weird here.

I feel so dumb.

I wanted to give a friend who's not playing the game the Forge Apostle grocery list and accidentally spoiled myself on how to get one of the components...

And then i worked backwards from there to notice that the special influence spells it out explicitly.

Really enjoying the game so far, I love how they've nailed the whole theme of learning esoteric arts in the gameplay.

After a few deaths from various dread's, unfulfilled pacts and one over abundance of decrepitude; I'm now on a pretty even keel in terms of staying healthy and making enough money to do a few things through painting. My health, reason and passion are all up to level 4, but now I'm kinda stymied on where to go. I'm loath to do my usual thing of looking up All The Things in wikis, since the whole point of this game seems to be figuring out things yourself. On that front I do have a few possibly spoilery questions.

So I manged to figure out how to
    solve the first riddle by just dreaming about it with each one of my current lore (I think that's what they're called?) until one of them worked. Is there a more riddly aspect to it that I'm not picking up on, or is this brute method the only way?

On the painting front, how do I reliably make more money? I've tried using notoriety like the tooltip suggests, but even with that the amount seems to fluctuate from 0 - 3. I think I might have got a 4 once or twice?

Really enjoying the game so far, I love how they've nailed the whole theme of learning esoteric arts in the gameplay.

After a few deaths from various dread's, unfulfilled pacts and one over abundance of decrepitude; I'm now on a pretty even keel in terms of staying healthy and making enough money to do a few things through painting. My health, reason and passion are all up to level 4, but now I'm kinda stymied on where to go. I'm loath to do my usual thing of looking up All The Things in wikis, since the whole point of this game seems to be figuring out things yourself. On that front I do have a few possibly spoilery questions.

So I manged to figure out how to
    solve the first riddle by just dreaming about it with each one of my current lore (I think that's what they're called?) until one of them worked. Is there a more riddly aspect to it that I'm not picking up on, or is this brute method the only way?

On the painting front, how do I reliably make more money? I've tried using notoriety like the tooltip suggests, but even with that the amount seems to fluctuate from 0 - 3. I think I might have got a 4 once or twice?

for the spoiler:
    yeah, it's meant as a riddle. The solution is printed on the lore fragment you used.

looking at my notes, my painting output seems to hover around 2 funds. Though, a) that's not an exhaustive study, b) that section might be very old, and c) they've recently added a 'staleness' mechanic to painting.

I would suggest you try to vary what you put in the 'subject' and 'paints' field, assuming you aren't already.

The frustrating/neat thing about this game is that "the first riddle" can refer to so many things.

For Painting, loading up with Mystique/Notoriety (and a subject that's not gonna get it Suppressed, and some money for paints) is probably the best moneymaker. Although with the new staleness, sometimes you might have to use Passion to paint to refresh people's interest.

But honestly, the easiest way to make money is playing the Physician. :P

I love how they overhauled the lore consolidation mechanic.

I had *just* figured out a way to consistently upgrade lore when they changed it.

I'm ambivalent on the new system. I like the way you can pick away at the challenges, one at a time. I'm less fond of the general design of the challenges

it seems weird to me that Obsessive Research needs a max-level painting skill. Go to the Library, fry your brain trying to Reason it out, or ... imagine it? it feels out of place.

Practical Experimentation is another very weird challenge. It only accepts two solutions, like a first-tier challenge; but in 75% of the cases it's second-tier. All of the other second-tier challenges have three options. It optionally uses an attribute card; which is a third-tier solution.

Tamin wrote: »
    I had *just* figured out a way to consistently upgrade lore when they changed it.

I'm ambivalent on the new system. I like the way you can pick away at the challenges, one at a time. I'm less fond of the general design of the challenges

it seems weird to me that Obsessive Research needs a max-level painting skill. Go to the Library, fry your brain trying to Reason it out, or ... imagine it? it feels out of place.

Practical Experimentation is another very weird challenge. It only accepts two solutions, like a first-tier challenge; but in 75% of the cases it's second-tier. All of the other second-tier challenges have three options. It optionally uses an attribute card; which is a third-tier solution.
    The Mansus is a Dream world where Dream logic applies. The Lore... the secrets hidden beneath the skin of the world... they have nothing do with rational science.

I mean, this is basically a cosmic horror setting. Rationality need not apply lest it go insane.

So it makes sense to me that Passion, or a very imaginative mind, will help you find horrifying truths nobody should ever know.

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Whee, my game appears to be bugged. The thing that was supposed to give my dancer wandering heart didn't actually have the card in it and now I probably can't finish this ascension. Good times.

Oh, and I just realized that lore cards now tell you exactly what they require to upgrade. Convenient that. Makes it easier to prepare to clear any dread/fascination you may need.

Etiowsa on
    I got my third victory, and first Major one, as Ernest, the Apostle Aestuant.

I tells ya, this was a marathon of a game.

But worth it in the end, i think... Whew, and not savescumming made this so much sweeter.

Me two days ago: By attaining this Major Victory, this game will no longer plague my every hour, waking or dreaming.
    Me now: in the middle of a new game.

Me two days ago: By attaining this Major Victory, this game will no longer plague my every hour, waking or dreaming.
    Me now: in the middle of a new game.

In fairness, that kind of peculiar and possibly unhealthy obsession is very much in keeping with the themes of the game. So it got that right at least.

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    I've never encountered anything pointing to how apostles work. Can someone give me the gentlest of hints?

I'm back for the first time since release. Finished my Forge painter run, and got a romance achievement. Surprised it was follower specific. I guess it's super repetitive to 100% this game? No matter.

sig.gif
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited June 2019
    Personally my favorite moneymaker track starts with really reason. I've ground out $300 while buying books and then ignored money the rest of the game.

Edit: Dancer question, job spoilers:
    Is there any reason to keep my contract at the gaiety? I've got a board seat at G&G and I'm torn between keeping the gaiety for when i inevitably lose the board seat, and losing it now and making enough money on the board (while doing nothing notorious) i'll never need to work again when i lose it

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
    Personally my favorite moneymaker track starts with really reason. I've ground out $300 while buying books and then ignored money the rest of the game.

Edit: Dancer question, job spoilers:
    Is there any reason to keep my contract at the gaiety? I've got a board seat at G&G and I'm torn between keeping the gaiety for when i inevitably lose the board seat, and losing it now and making enough money on the board (while doing nothing notorious) i'll never need to work again when i lose it

About the Dancer's starter job.
    Not really. You might come across three (well, four, if you count Sulochana) Benefactors that you can milk for cash, but beyond them I feel the pay's simply not quite worth the effort.

Besides, you can always transition to writing Commissions and selling the spintrae you get at the auction house.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited June 2019
    So guys, sorry for the noobie question but here goes:

I've read that the first few playthroughs are meant to be about toal confusion and lack of understanding and learning about the dark arts - as befits the genre - but I'm a bit of a slow learner and I struggle to remember esoteric pieces of lore and info I may or may not have read along the way. Will I get it eventually, or is there a minimum threshold for memory and attention-paying?

Musicool on
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's more about experimenting than anything. You might want to keep notes on useful combinations of things, but you won't need to be piecing together obscure hints until you're going for the ultra-advanced victories.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    I've never encountered anything pointing to how apostles work. Can someone give me the gentlest of hints?

I'm back for the first time since release. Finished my Forge painter run, and got a romance achievement. Surprised it was follower specific. I guess it's super repetitive to 100% this game? No matter.

i only did one apostle run (Forge) but i did it to the end.
    You should have a card that spells out the whole wincon. Basically, everything is spelled out, either on one permanent card or on a specific temporary influence you'll get repeatedly.

Good luck.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So whats the key to advancing in the Dancer story

I have 2 of one scar and 3 of another. no combo I make seems to get me any further.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

I have 2 of one scar and 3 of another. no combo I make seems to get me any further.

I think it's just total influence in the one card.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy

I mean, how far along are you and what have you already done? But here are the steps of the dance.
    You need to dance at Ecdysis with your Change Temptation slotted into one the slots, and have sufficient Heart or Moth to advance to the next step. You will then get an animal card that you need to take along on an Expedition. The card itself will give you hints on what Expedition you need to go on, but to make sure you don't get stuck here they are always repeatable Expeditions. If you talk to Sulochana with an appropriate Secret History lore she'll just hand you a repeatable Expedition (which simply means you need to farm less Secret Histories, which is convenient).

Once you've done the Expedition with your animal self tagging along, some special card gets spit out that will upgrade your Temptation card during the Season of Ambition (the red hook one).

Once your Temptation's been upgraded, you need to dance with it at Ecdysis with even more Heart or Moth than before to unlock the next animal card and so on...

Also, dancing at Ecdysis with your physical (Health) skill card will get you a better job at the Club, which just means you get more slots to jam scars into. You'll need them.

• EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

There's an influence slot you need to fill when you dance.Gotta make them numbers bigger.