As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Star Wars] - Some fandalorians think Mandalorian blandalorian, others give a handalorian

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    if i am being honest, all i'd use a time machine for is gambling

The real trick would be how you still manage to lose

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    So when do we get a Yoda movie.

Everyone wants to know what Yoda did as a kid.

I have a theory that his species starts out big but gets smaller as they age.

screw that, give me a Yaddle movie!

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    if i am being honest, all i'd use a time machine for is gambling

The real trick would be how you still manage to lose

House always wins.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    solo was good

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I really loved in solo how marvel talks about their connected universe but say how it's too hard to include the tv shows and Solo is over here going
    BOOM tv show character
    BOOM rpg game stuff
    ALL THE BOOK STUFF
    I fucking loved it

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    I really loved in solo how marvel talks about their connected universe but say how it's too hard to include the tv shows and Solo is over here going
    BOOM tv show character
    BOOM rpg game stuff
    ALL THE BOOK STUFF
    I fucking loved it

I dont think marvel has ever said it was too hard

That said there has been shitton of pushback about a certain tv refference.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I thought marvels reason was that the tv shows were bad

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    BOOM tv show character
    BOOM rpg game stuff
    ALL THE BOOK STUFF
    I fucking loved it

I dont think marvel has ever said it was too hard

That said there has been shitton of pushback about a certain tv refference.

People at Marvel actually have cited that it's partially a matter of production schedules, since films are being made over the course of a couple years and TV episodes in less than a year, if they write a TV character or status quo into a movie script, the show may have moved on from that status quo or that character might have developed differently by the time the movie actually comes out

I'm sure they could make it work if they wanted to, but I don't think they want to

They have also cited the fact that the movies already have enough characters

And then there's the fact that at this point Marvel Studios and the rest of Marvel are essentially different companies, and I don't think Feige and Perlmutter get along. And I wouldn't be surprised if the film people have an issue with the perceived quality of the TV stuff and might not want to be associated with it if they even could

I don't think Marvel has an equivalent to Lucasfilm Story Group, or at least not one that consults with and maps out storylines for both TV and film. That's the real thing that's tying all the new Star Wars canon together

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    There's also a split between Marvel film and tv. Unlike Star Wars, the Marvel stuff is kept separate. With Perlmutter being essentially kicked out of the film side of things and only having control over the tv stuff. Inhumans was his pet project. He was pushing for it to be a film, and was the only person who wanted a Inhumans film. When he no longer had the power to make the film hapen he made the tv show, and we all know how that turned out.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I know Disney really really wants Star Wars to be their next MCU, and it should work given how the EU kept going forever.

But I think the MCU has disparate franchises that it doesn't feel like you're in the exact same setting with each film, whereas Star Wars really struggles to escape that. Would a gangster flick about, I dunno, Lady Valarian be different enough while still being Star Wars?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    The Star Wars universe as we have it now was kind of built from the ground up to allow stuff like the tv shows and comics and the like to have some impact on the movies, and there's way less Star Wars stuff out there, at least on screen, than there is MCU stuff. It would be pretty difficult to coordinate like five movie productions with five tv shows, especially since Agents of SHIELD is the one series that interacts with the wider MCU at all, and I would wager a good 99% of the people who watch MCU movies have no idea it even exists.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Star Wars has a whole galaxy to explore. The MCU is much more constrained.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    In terms of size sure

But literally every Star Wars movie of the 10 released so far have had some form of Rebels vs. Empire and/or Sith story to it

Even Solo has
    Voss selling the weapons to the Empire vs. Han aiding the fledgling Rebellion

If they really want to make Star Wars into a franchise capable of sustaining a steady output of films, they need to actually explore different settings and stories instead of relying on the same structures and plot elements in varyingly different settings. MCU movies can have similar structures, but embrace different corners of that universe and themes enough that they can still be distinct

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    In terms of size sure

But literally every Star Wars movie of the 10 released so far have had some form of Rebels vs. Empire and/or Sith story to it

Even Solo has
    Voss selling the weapons to the Empire vs. Han aiding the fledgling Rebellion

If they really want to make Star Wars into a franchise capable of sustaining a steady output of films, they need to actually explore different settings and stories instead of relying on the same structures and plot elements in varyingly different settings. MCU movies can have similar structures, but embrace different corners of that universe and themes enough that they can still be distinct

Yeah Star Wars has the potential to tell a variety of stories beyond what the MCU is capable of but it has yet to take advantage of that so far. That's true of all of Star Wars including both EU's. Jedi, Sith, droids, Empire, Republic, scum ect.

The reason that I enjoyed the beginning of Solo so much more than the rest of it is because it begins in a unique world and hints the ability to tell new stories.

By the end of it though we are right where Star Wars always lands. Star Wars needs people to invent completely new things unrelated to what already exists.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm curious what Rian Johnson's trilogy will look like, since it's supposed to be set away from all the old conflicts

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    somehow

there will still be lightsabers

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Solo was a lot of fun and pretty good too!

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Just saw Solo

I didn't hate it

Thanks for reading I guess
    My brother didn't recognise Darth Maul at the end and when I explained it he was like oh this is set at the same time as phantom menace? :tell_me_more:

Beasteh on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    somehow

there will still be lightsabers

Maybe it’ll be like Finn where somebody finds a lightsaber but sucks at using it and there’s no wizards, just a magic sword.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    Just saw Solo

I didn't hate it

Thanks for reading I guess
    My brother didn't recognise Darth Maul at the end and when I explained it he was like oh this is set at the same time as phantom menace? :tell_me_more:
    I'm pretty sure that is why they had the on the nose, I'M GETTING OUT MY LIGHTSABER TO EMPHASISE A POINT OVER HOLOGRAM scene.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Mark Hamill is just a treasure

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Mark Hamill is just a treasure

I hope he stays that way. It's really going to hurt if Luke Skywalker and the Joker get milkshake ducked.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I got the Lando version of the Falcon model kit from Bandai and I'm excited to start building it this weekend, and this led to me remarking to two friends that I... really don't like the configuration of the Falcon that we know from all the other movies

This was treated as sacrilege but it's an ugly, goofy, unwieldy ship and I've never had any love for its aesthetics, despite appreciating its role in the films

Lando's has the pod docked on the nose which helps to elongate the silhouette into something that actually looks like a spaceship, and it has a better paint job (by which I mean any paint at all) and the clean look is just so much better

There, that's my hot take, she was better off with Lando

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don’t think anyone ever disputed that she was better off with Lando

• Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    has anyone ever wondered why there was a map to luke skywalker as the mcguffin in 7, only to be entirely dismissed in 8? why would luke/r2 have it if he doesn't want to be found?

i find the lack of consistent direction in the new movies to be a little cumbersome.

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I mean

I really don’t care about the map.

It’s a neat McGuffin that works fine in the first movie and I really don’t need them to go down a rabbit hole giving me the backstory of the map.

It’s the Death Star plans and it pays off in its own movie and never needs to be mentioned again.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I watched Rogue One again last night, for the first time since it was in theaters

that battle sequence is the best in the series, I'm not sure anything else comes close

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Klendy wrote: »
    has anyone ever wondered why there was a map to luke skywalker as the mcguffin in 7, only to be entirely dismissed in 8? why would luke/r2 have it if he doesn't want to be found?

i find the lack of consistent direction in the new movies to be a little cumbersome.

The map was to the first jedi temple, which is where Luke had gone - he didn't make the map just probably followed different leads that r2/lor von tekka picked up later.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I hope Episode IX gives us another big fleet battle

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    What we really need is Starkiller Base II. But this time, there's no thermal oscillator to blow up. But get this, they haven't finished building the planet around it...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Whaddya mean build the planet

Hey how come everybody in Star Wars lives on planets like a bunch of primitive assholes, should live on space stations so when the fascists take a shot you can fire up the engines and dodge

• Options
    The movies imply strongly that Luke originally left to figure things out regarding the future with the Jedi and only arrived at his “end the jedi” stance because he found the answers, he was looking for, wanting.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Saw Solo yesterday. It was a cute, fun movie.

I loved all the costumes in it though. Pretty much every time they had a chance to put a character in a cool helmet, they went for it, which just felt very Star Wars to me.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    The movies imply strongly that Luke originally left to figure things out regarding the future with the Jedi and only arrived at his “end the jedi” stance because he found the answers, he was looking for, wanting.
    He didn't even read the books.

• Options
    I did not like that gag.

• Options
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

He did not read them to completion location of that he did not read them to completion but started them and did not find the enlightenment he searched for. In fact he probably saw the opposite. All the flaws in the jedi idology written down in one place was probably to much to stand.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »

Didn't he? It seems like the kind of thing you'd do when most of your day consists of silently brooding in a hut.
    Yoda says that they weren't exactly page turners, but I can't imagine any character making a cross galaxy road trip to find the ancient lore, getting there and deciding that the ancient jedi text books he found were too boring to read and it'd be better to spend his time spear fishing and hut brooding.

• Options
    Luke says that he didn't read the books and he was stuck on that island alone for months or even years and would absolutely have read those books

This discussion has been closed.