As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Pokemon] Sword and Shield: Out now. Mark your spoilers!

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I'd be down for a little rustle in the grass that shows me a pokemon is there and I can avoid it if I want

But I don't want to know what it is

The mystery is part of the fun

Also, can't really do nuzlockes this way

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I'd be fine with generic pokemon shadow models wandering around a field

Having to rely on using repels if I wanted to go somewhere without stopping to run from a battle every 5 seconds would be wonderful, and dodging around pokemon was actually kinda fun I found

but I frankly prefer exactly what Let's Go does. More information makes me happy, and there's something immersive about seeing Pokemon wandering around in the wild.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I think it kinda makes sense in Go where you are incentivized to catch a bazillion of the same pokemon, and in normal pokemon games I don't really care what a route has once ive caught one of everything and if I'm hunting for one thing in particular than seeing them on the map saves me waiting for a battle to load and hearing the same 10 opening seconds of battle music a hundred times before getting what I want

A little mystery is gone I guess but that mystery usually loses its charm pretty quickly for me anyway, especially when actually hunting for something specific

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I've played Blue, Gold, X, Omega Ruby, and Moon and have never gotten a shiny.

With Let's Go, I have gotten my first one ever.

A shiny pidgey. Gonna bring this bad girl to the E4.

This is me, only I'm still waiting for my first shiny. I got my shiny charm now, so tonight I'm gonna go chain until I see one.

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I'd be down for a little rustle in the grass that shows me a pokemon is there and I can avoid it if I want

But I don't want to know what it is

The mystery is part of the fun

Also, can't really do nuzlockes this way

You could create a "catch the first thing that appears, if mutliple appear at the same time then roll a die" rule.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    In my experience with Gen VII, getting the shiny charm lowers the odds to the point where you can breed for a shiny with relative ease. I've gotten several shinies just incidentally while breeding for IVs.

If they're increasing the trend of steadily increasing shiny rates with Let's Go, that's rad.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I got my first shiny in Sun after having played Red, Crystal, Sapphire, FireRed, Platinum, HeartGold, White, Y and Alpha Sapphire before that

(I know, no shinies in Red)

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    Turambar wrote: »
    I got my first shiny in Sun after having played Red, Crystal, Sapphire, FireRed, Platinum, HeartGold, White, Y and Alpha Sapphire before that

(I know, no shinies in Red)

Technically... the data used in Gen 2 to determine shinies was present in Gen 1, so if transferred to Gold Silver or Crystal (or the bank for the 3DS VC versions), those Pokemon would appear as shinies.

So you could have had shinies in Red and just never known!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I don't think I've ever found a wild shiny in my playthroughs. Though I remember chaining once in DPPt and found a shiny Shinx. Moved that color corrected bad boy to my copy of X.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I actually transferred most of my mons from Red to Crystal for pokedex reasons

Though I'm not sure if I knew what a shiny was back then

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I like the pokemon wandering the overworld and the removal of random battles because I can just catch the one zubat I need for my pokedex and then choose to engage with only the pokes I want.

My gaming time is really limited right now though so I'm looking at it differently than I might of 2-3 years ago.

• Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

I mean you probably did, they go out of their way to demonstrate the Red Gyarados
    My gaming time is really limited right now though so I'm looking at it differently than I might of 2-3 years ago.

My gaming time is also very limited these days, but I don't think there's any time in my life that I would have prefered the nebulous, abstract "barren grasslands that are supposedly filled with random monsters" to a world that actually feels alive

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Jimothy wrote: »

I mean you probably did, they go out of their way to demonstrate the Red Gyarados

Even when I knew what shinies were I thought the Red Gyarados was a special event pseudo-legendary encounter. When I found it was literally just a regular shiny Gyarados that was a big let down.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Ok the first time I saw magikarp in Let's Go flopping sideways on the water helplessly like it does on land I laughed so hard I cried

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    She did, I haven't heard her sound that amused over something in a video game in years

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Magikarps are just designed to be self destructive.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The Rock Tunnel fuckin sucks

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Magikarp are the best pokemon.

I remembered when the original blue came out and there was this garbage pokemon and I was all. I need to keep this, it's going to pay off, so it entered the first turn of battle and I swapped it out every time and I levelled it up and it fucking paid off, I'll tell you what.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I started an Ultra Moon Nuzlocke last night since Let's Go got me into Pokemon again.

Fucking Ilima's Smeargle killed my Wingull, she died so that Litten, Slowpoke, and Magnemite might live.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    I started an Ultra Moon Nuzlocoe last night since Let's Go got me into Pokemon again.

Fucking Ilima's Smeargle killed my Wingull, she died so that Litten, Slowpoke, and Magnemite might live.

Do Wingulls only exist in Nuzlockes to sacrifice themselves?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited November 2018
    To be fair:

I did kiiiiiiinda send her out to die? I had Litten out fighting the Yungoose, sent Wingull to eat a Water Gun, then planned on trying a Supersonic to relatively safely swap in Magnemite.

A critical hit Tackle had other ideas.

Mx. Quill on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    I've played Blue, Gold, X, Omega Ruby, and Moon and have never gotten a shiny.

With Let's Go, I have gotten my first one ever.

A shiny pidgey. Gonna bring this bad girl to the E4.

This is me, only I'm still waiting for my first shiny. I got my shiny charm now, so tonight I'm gonna go chain until I see one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk8mm1Qmt-Y

• Options
    Wow, they seriously made the spawn rate of pinsir and scyther 1% eh? Been trying to make one appear for about an hour

signature.png
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Wow, they seriously made the spawn rate of pinsir and scyther 1% eh? Been trying to make one appear for about an hour

Get a chain of 10+ going, they'll show up.

• Options
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    They weren't very creative with shinies from gen 1. Like everything pink became mint green. Clefairy, Chansey...

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Goose! wrote: »
    SilverWind wrote: »

Get a chain of 10+ going, they'll show up.

I was chaining 31+ for the whole time! :P

One finally spawned but then ran away

I'll probably port over my pogo one

signature.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    They weren't very creative with shinies from gen 1. Like everything pink became mint green. Clefairy, Chansey...

A lot of gen 1 shiny's are a weird shade of green i believe it has something to do with the limited colors available.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018

The only shiny I think ive ever seen was a tentacool in gen 1 and I was super young so I thought it was dangerous in some way and knocked it out

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    ZundeZunde Registered User regular
    I have a story like that when i was very young playing pokemon Silver i managed to somehow get pokerus on one of my pokemon and actually started my entire game over because i thought i had ruined my file.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

The only shiny I think ive ever seen was a tentacool in gen 1 and I was super young so I thought it was dangerous in some way and knocked it out

That's odd, since gen 1 didn't have shinies :rotate:

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    whatever the first one was that did

what's odd is wasting my time by nitpicking a memory from almost 20 years ago

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options

That's odd, since gen 1 didn't have shinies :rotate:

I mean if you wanna get pedantic about this, I covered this earlier on this very page

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Well depending on their nickname in stadium your pokemons color might change

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    iirc shinies are generated algorithmically by just adding a flat value to the color values, or at least they were at one point

which is why so many of them are puke green

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    iirc shinies are generated algorithmically by just adding a flat value to the color values, or at least they were at one point

I don't think so. Even in Gen II shiny Charmander is yellow and shiny Charizard is dark purple, and they're both basically the same orange in their base form.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options

That was how the Stadium coloring thing worked, but shinies in GSC in are separate sprites.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Do y'all remember in Gen 2 when being shiny was based on a specific set of IV values

I think it was something like 15 in everything except HP, which was either always 0 or could be any value. I plumb forget.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Do y'all remember in Gen 2 when being shiny was based on a specific set of IV values

I think it was something like 15 in everything except HP, which was either always 0 or could be any value. I plumb forget.

Yeah, that's why it applied to Gen 1 Pokemon too. Quoth Bulbapedia: "In Generation II, being Shiny is determined by a Pokémon's IVs. If a Pokémon's Speed, Defense, and Special IVs are all 10, and its Attack IV is 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14 or 15, it will be Shiny."

Interestingly enough, there are limits to what Pokemon in Gen 1 can be shiny

"Due to correlations between pseudorandom numbers in the Generation I games, Pokémon encountered in those games in tall grass, on cave tiles, or by Surfing on water cannot have a set of IVs that would allow them to be Shiny in Generation II. Fishing encounters, gift Pokémon (including from Pokémon Stadium), stationary Pokémon (such as Snorlax and Mewtwo), and in-game trades can have any set of IVs, so they always have the same 1/8192 chance of having a Shiny IV combination."

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shiny_Pokémon#Generation_II

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I actually found my first (non-gyarados) shiny in Gen 2, a Girafarig on the route leading up to the Lake of Rage, but I'm pretty sure I was playing on an OG, non-colour Gameboy (At least I think Silver version was still one of those games that could be played on both the GBC and the older model GB?) so it was more of a black and white sprite that had sparkles around it for a couple of seconds.

This discussion has been closed.