As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited February 2019
    crossposting from a thread elsewhere
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThYCp7bjDa0&feature=youtu.be
    New Path of Exile free expansion coming March 4th, Synthesis.
    • Find a new character, Cavas, out in the world and help him fix his decaying memories by delving into them and killing shit (lol) in order to find memory stabilizers, before the entire memory decays and kicks you out
    • Build your own dungeon with a Carcassone-inspired system, where you find memory fragments as you fix Cavas' memories, then fit them together to create paths to memories full of bosses and special loot. You then run that path, dealing with the difficulty and reward modifiers that the fragments have added, trying to reach the rewards at the end.
    • Memories drop Fractured items, that have locked item modifiers that can not be changed, allowing you to craft items that can have guaranteed insane stats. Take 3 fractured items you don't like and Synthesize them together to make a new item with a new implicit modifier that stacks on top of all the other modifiers on an item.
    • A complete balance pass of every spell in the game, full reworks of 3 of them (Storm Burst, Storm Shield, Flame Totem), along with 6 new spells (consisting of 3 new Chaos damage spells and 3 "Holy" spells, i.e. physical damage converted to lightning/fire) and a number of new support gems to customize those spells
    • The Betrayal system (which was sort of a Nemesis System inspired set of encounters) from the previous expansion is now part of the main game
    • A bunch of new unique items including some that are really stupid

A bunch more footage and info/explanations here via PoE streamer/youtuber ZiggyD:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwPAcKgJjJU&feature=youtu.be

Crippl3 on
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Before anyone asks, I'm flattered that they'd name the expansion after me.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Before anyone asks, I'm flattered that they'd name the expansion after me.

Dad, get off the internet.

I have to thank you, by the way. I played through "Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris" last night and apparently it puts little collectibles (Canopic Jars) into the game where someone on your friends list has died and you can collect them to unlock slightly better versions of guns.

More importantly, though, it really points out that I am walking into a trap when I see a bunch of jars lying around, sorta like bloodstains in the Souls games. It's a neat feature, and I wouldn't have known about it without, uh, without you dying painfully and often.

After that, I loaded up The Division since it's on gamepass now and I'm always embarrassed when something I bought and haven't played yet shows up on gp. The tutorial is... brutal? Brutal is a good word. It took me 5 or 6 goes just to clear the last fight before I could even get into the real game.

The missions I've done since that haven't been too bad so I may stick with it.

edited February 2019
    There's some free bonus DLC for Crackdown 3: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/crackdown-3-bonus-pack/9ngvwmlm4t51
    You get
    • a new gun, the Quackhammer, that fires multi-lock-on explosive ducks
    • a new vehicle, the Linebacker, a big armored truck/APC with a turret
    • an alternate costume for Jaxon (Terry Crews' character) that gives bonus strength and explosives XP
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-CoJYMXrM0

Crippl3 on
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    "a new gun, the Quackhammer, that fires multi-lock-on explosive ducks"

I just want to take that sentence out to dinner and treat it like the lady that it is. There is NOTHING wrong with that sentence, at all.

edited February 2019
    I have to thank you, by the way. I played through "Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris" last night and apparently it puts little collectibles (Canopic Jars) into the game where someone on your friends list has died and you can collect them to unlock slightly better versions of guns.

Did I die that much in the game? I suppose I must have then. I went a couple of years, literally, without playing the last twenty minutes of the final encounter of the game because I was playing it co-op.

Synthesis on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    That is nice but like I already finished you crackdown 3...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    https://majornelson.com/2019/02/20/xbox-game-pass-announces-new-games-alien-isolation-the-walking-dead-season-2-more/
    5 more games coming to Game Pass this month:
    Tomorrow the 21st: Headlander, Batman: Return to Arkham, Epic Mickey 2
    Thrusday the 28th: Walking Dead Season 2, Alien: Isolation

I'm still pissed I missed the free give-away of Alien: Isolation. Though it never got an XB1X enhancement, sadly.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    This is the first time that I've seen this Hitman-like on sale... Alekhine's Gun. 9 Bucks.

guess... I'll finally get it.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited February 2019
    I was surprised it was even on consoles, but I guess that's easier to do nowadays. Alekine's Gun is literally just Death to Spies 3, based on the series published by 1C (a huge Russian simulator/strategy game publisher). Except the Death to Spies games were always rough around the edges, and not as visually impressive, but its complexity and elaborateness of the missions demanded a lot more thought and quick-thinking potentially than the Htiman or Splinter Cell games it was contemporaneous with, more into the area of PC Rainbow Six titles.

Except Alekine's Gun is desperate to be more accessible, so it becomes a run-and-gun with some basic stealth mechanics, and doesn't look as good as Hitman did in the same time. Even the writing is intended to be much more accessible to American audiences.

The Funhaus guys love it. So much that they even get over the whole "Wait, we're not killing Russians....we are the Russians? Hu-wwwaaaaahhhhh?" aspect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pXLJq-mksM&list=PLhJTH8dYeuM0JkFUc75TmIq7MUgFrUiLd

Synthesis on
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Did I die that much in the game? I suppose I must have then. I went a couple of years, literally, without playing the last twenty minutes of the final encounter of the game because I was playing it co-op.

The jars seemed heavily clustered around “and now, spikes from the floor with no adequate warning” which is a pretty understandable thing to die to.

I played the earlier “Guardian of Light” game end to end in couch co-op with a buddy and I really think that’s a better experience than doing everything on your own. Osiris was still fun solo but I get the feeling they tone things down a lot for the single-player.

I'm still waiting to get home from my shitty job so I can make a new thread (and thinking of what to call it).

In the meantime, there's a Dreamcast controller that's basically the shape of an Xbox One gamepad.

Now if only they could make a dreamcast that was actually worth a damn.

BOOM YA BURNT SEGA!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Mike Ybarra, VP at Xbox, basically shit the bed on twitter over Anthem reviews, of all things. (MS has a marketing deal with EA for it)

(Game has been available on EA's subscription service since last Friday. People have beaten it already.)

Patrick Klepek had a good response to the bit about the mechanics.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Oof, not a good look.

Though executive blood pressures have got to be high over Anthem in general, given everything riding on it, the mediocre reviews, and the messy-at-best release. All 47 of them.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    Eh combos aren't that hard to pull off, and if you're a game reviewer and can't do a bit of basic research into a game than why are a you a game reviewer? And its not officially out on consoles until friday, its on a timed early access release.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Nah, combos are a big game mechanic that are incredibly poorly explained. You shouldn't have to do research for that, that's something the game should teach you.

Preacher wrote: »
    Eh combos aren't that hard to pull off, and if you're a game reviewer and can't do a bit of basic research into a game than why are a you a game reviewer? And its not officially out on consoles until friday, its on a timed early access release.

If the game hides how to do combos in a hidden tutorial menu that's on the game.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    Anthem’s UI alone is a crime against humanity.

I disagree, then again I think gamers require way too many things explained to them, and then complain when a game hand holds them. "Why am I in an intro for 3 hours?"

Like I played in the demo, I had some abilities I didn't know if they primed or detonated, so I attacked enemies and tried different combos to get them working.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    I disagree, then again I think gamers require way too many things explained to them, and then complain when a game hand holds them. "Why am I in an intro for 3 hours?"

Like I played in the demo, I had some abilities I didn't know if they primed or detonated, so I attacked enemies and tried different combos to get them working.

naw you're wrong

if the game is about combos and you don't slowly have the game show you combos even exist in the game and explain it, the game fucked up. it doesn't help that half the primer and detonation icons are full on missing from the powers right now, and also those icons aren't explained either.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png

People have played and beaten it already. The distinction of "it's not out yet" as justification for it being subpar is completely worthless. It's especially hollow, given the entire industry has run on reviewers being given early copies for decades now.

On top of that, most of the issues I've seen people talking about aren't the kind that'll get fixed in a day one patch.

cloudeagle wrote: »

If the game hides how to do combos in a hidden tutorial menu that's on the game.

I wouldn't say they hide them. But the internet hate machine is up for another bioware product so here we are. I mean like that guy alone attacked bioware and microsoft because both are the punching bag for the nets as of late.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited February 2019
    That...kind of seems like something that should be in the Anthem thread if it isn't already. But it is Xbox related. Even if Ybarra just sounds like someone defending a game he really likes on Twitter, more than anything else. Is there any Xbox exclusive content in Anthem? I honestly don't know, the most I heard of was them showing it off on Xbox One X hardware and letting Microsoft show it at E3, like they did with Kingdom Hearts 3.

I could just be badly informed. I was in the beta or Anthem and both Destiny games. I just came to the conclusion that loot-based shooters are really not for me.

EDIT: XB1X hardware, I meant. Though I think technically the footage came from a PC using Xbox One UI...and Sony reused the same footage for the Playstation 4 trailer. I remember someone forgot to photoshop the UI elements out in a few scenes. :lol: Haven't really been following Anthem that closely since then.

Synthesis on

I wouldn't say they hide them. But the internet hate machine is up for another bioware product so here we are. I mean like that guy alone attacked bioware and microsoft because both are the punching bag for the nets as of late.

...or maybe it's because he honestly got annoyed by how Anthem does a bad job of explaining its mechanics, in general? Just throwing that out there.

The only xbox exclusive thing is that xbox has ea access so players have a 10 hours trial if they have ea access.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Honestly with the way the game is set up it's pretty difficult to not trigger a combo even by accident during missions given that the vast majority of abilities prime, detonate, or both

This doesn't excuse how buried the actual tutorial is (mouse-over tooltips should really be a thing these days) but the string of people going "I played 8 hours and have no idea what a combo is" in the replies is... really quite something

Ed: (Particularly as the word "COMBO" pops up when a combo pops off. Like, are some people not in the slightest bit curious)

BRIAN BLESSED on
    Honestly with the way the game is set up it's pretty difficult to not trigger a combo even by accident during missions given that the vast majority of abilities prime, detonate, or both

This doesn't excuse how buried the actual tutorial is (mouse-over tooltips should really be a thing these days) but the string of people going "I played 8 hours and have no idea what a combo is" in the replies is... really quite something

I just get reminded all the time that the majority of people who played ME played soldiers for a reason.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular

I would love to have a discussion about recent Bioware games where criticism wasn't immediately dismissed as part of some massive internet hate agenda. There's no good faith conversation to be had there.

Hey, this is Bioware. You be grateful that Anthem doesn't have friendly-fire grenades that stick onto invisible walls when you throw them out of cover, or enemies that fall through level geometry, thereby making them immortal and breaking a quest.

The first Mass Effect game had...issues. They're not even fixed on PC.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Games are bad at explaining things and people hate tutorials. Also, solid work Klepek - you're saying it's not explained unless you read the manual? Who woulda thunk it?

Shit, that's better than Destiny with no manual at all.

Arteen wrote: »

I would love to have a discussion about recent Bioware games where criticism wasn't immediately dismissed as part of some massive internet hate agenda. There's no good faith conversation to be had there.

This is a problem. Blizzard's approach to Diablo: Immortal criticism really wasn't helped by taking those positions either.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited February 2019

You might trigger one by accident, but that doesn't mean you'll know why. Until I looked it up my first thought was that maybe I hit an enemy with one element, and then hit them with another element, and that makes a combo, but that's not it. You need a primer ability and a detonator ability, of which only detonators will be identified as such by their ability description so for primers you either need to google it or guess (and the way you can't fiddle with your loadout mid-mission means guessing is even more annoying than you might expect, and detonators don't mention that they have anything to do with combos so you just have to guess that on your own. Then, to do the combo, you have to inflict a status effect on and enemy with the primer ability, and then hit the enemy with the detonator before it wears off. Also, status effects don't take every time, and I think detonators might not either (maybe I was just messing up with the detonator and not hitting, but I think I was) so even if you've lucked into using the right abilities in the right order within the right window, it still won't always work. There are a lot of things in the way of figuring it out organically.

Also there are some abilities that are just raw damage, not primers or detonators, so since the ability descriptions only identify detonators one who got lucky and equipped a primer and detonator might figure out "okay, if I hit an enemy with this ability and then with this detonator ability, that's what triggers a combo" and then try it out with a different non-detonator ability and end up picking one that doesn't prime. As far as the games telling them there's no difference between the primer and the non-primer so as far as they can tell they must be barking up the wrong tree.

cB557 on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    There's probably legitimate discussion to be had that some games have deep systems that can only be deciphered after a lot of time spent in the game playing it; and that sometimes in the fast paced world of game reviews, things can get missed that average players wouldn't.

The VP of Xbox shouldn't be weighing in, most likely

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    My takeaway from this thread is that I should probably ignore the Anthem thread for a while, and that I should be grateful that the other dude decided that he'd be the one to make/maintain the Anthem threads because he posted his a few seconds before I did.

Also, I think Mike's first tweet as fine, but the second tweet was probably not a good idea. Why address a baity reply like that?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I think part of that problem with priming and detonating might also be bugs, but hopefully the smoke will clear on that come the Day 1 patch

Also, pretty sure primers are listed on ability properties as are detonators? I definitely saw "primer and detonator" written about an ability in the demo
    Arteen wrote: »

I think there's a middle ground to be had here that a lot of people miss. I do think there are people who are quick to go "oh they're just hating on BioWare like they have been ever since Mass Effect/Dragon Age" etc. But there are also people who go "RIP Bioware" ad nauseum or call upon Anthem as EA/BioWare's death knell as necessary for the health of the videogame industry. [Post meme about anthropomorphised EA shooting BioWare out the back over the corpses of Westwood and Maxis]

I think given how strong Anthem's social media presence has been almost everyone is keenly aware of the game's flaws. Even people I know only tangentially interested in Anthem mostly go "I heard it was shit" when mentioned, and trying to argue a balance between its merits and flaws is an uphill struggle either way.

Ybarra's spiel doesn't help things when some people are already starting to attack it from the "trust Xbox to back a shit game" angle.

Can't wait for YongYea's angle on this one. /s

BRIAN BLESSED on
    Also, I think Mike's first tweet as fine, but the second tweet was probably not a good idea. Why address a baity reply like that?

VP of Xbox acusing reviewers of "whining" because they're negatively reviewing a product he's (tangentially) associated with is not a good look, IMO.

Honestly, his second tweet had more ground imo
    Yeah people have beelined their way to completion already but EA have always defined this period as Early Access

It's semantics but it is what it is

edited February 2019
    For comparison, watch some of Phil Spencer's interviews with Jeff Gerstmann at E3. Phil is entirely friendly when he talks about Jeff reviewing Quantum Break and Gears of War Ultimate poorly.

Undead Scottsman on