As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    asura's warth is the only 360 disc i've still kept (everything else i either traded or had digital to begin with). I've been holding off hoping it would get BC as I never actually finished it!

I’m still waiting on a few games, but I’ll probably be waiting forever on Infinite Undiscovery or Star Ocean.

Other games I’d like to see include but are not limited to:
    The Burger King trilogy
    Last Remnant
    Remember Me
    Alpha Protocol
    Enslaved

I remember Sneak King actually being pretty fun in a “someone was on drugs when they came up with this” way. I don’t think I tried the others.

Those are good choices though. I liked Remember Me and Enslaved in particular.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I'd have to look for a complete list, but off the top of my head

OG Xbox
    Metal Arms: Glitch in the System
    Dead or Alive Ultimate
    Dead or Alive 3
    Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay

Dead or Alive 4
    Dead or Alive 5
    Transformers: War for Cybertron
    Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
    Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    The last time XBL had a major fuckup they handed out Undertow for free. What unknown, underselling indie title will they give away this time for thirty-seven seconds?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    The last time XBL had a major fuckup they handed out Undertow for free. What unknown, underselling indie title will they give away this time for thirty-seven seconds?

Fallout 76.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I think they gave me Carcassone at some point as well. I'm pretty sure I didn't spell that right and cba to look it up. :)

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

I think they gave me Carcassone at some point as well. I'm pretty sure I didn't spell that right and cba to look it up. :)

They did , and I still play it from time to time . I love that fucking game

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Asura's Wrath is anime made videogame in its purest form (complete with Japanese-style mid-break eyecatches) and is absolutely insane

Its combat can be a tad mashy and mushy but it makes up for this with sheer originality and a scale rivalling (and exceeding) that of character action games like Bayonetta

Definitely a highlight of that lineup (and if they can improve performance in the taxing areas that'll be a great thing

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options

OG Xbox
    Dead or Alive Ultimate
    Dead or Alive 3

Dead or Alive 4
    Dead or Alive 5

Looked at my game list and thought of some more.

- All those OG Xbox era Mortal Kombats

- Bulletstorm
    - Condemned 2
    - Dead Rising 1/2
    - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1/2
    - Mortal Kombat 2011
    - Warhammer 40k: Kill Team

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Are these lists of disc games we have or wishes for BC?

• Options
    I was doing wishes for BC.

They also happen to be games I own..

• Options
    Well, I want Gladius and The Warriors. Still have the discs.

• Options

OG Xbox
    Dead or Alive Ultimate
    Dead or Alive 3

Dead or Alive 4
    Dead or Alive 5

Looked at my game list and thought of some more.

- All those OG Xbox era Mortal Kombats

- Bulletstorm
    - Condemned 2
    - Dead Rising 1/2
    - Marvel Ultimate Alliance 1/2
    - Mortal Kombat 2011
    - Warhammer 40k: Kill Team

We probably won’t get BC if there’s a remastered version, so that makes Bulletstorm, the Dead Risings and MUA games unlikely.

MK2011 is a good pick and seems like it should have happened ages ago. I’m going to blame Warner on that, I think they’re one of the few publishers who have zero representation in the BC program.

• Options
    Oh no doubt, I'm well aware why some of those haven't happened. (The Transformers games will probably be in rights limbo for the rest of eternity. Thanks Activision & Hasbro!)

I think we'll have a chance of seeing MK '11 closer to the launch of the new one, which also can be called referred to with the number 11. "Play through the story of MK2011 and MKX before you play MK11" or some such.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    For games where there would be licensing issues, which is a lot of them, it would be great if they could make them BC without also putting them for sale on the store. It wouldn't be unprecedented, Mass Effect 2 & 3 were like that when they hit BC and required disc copies to run; although they have been put up for sale on the store since then. But it's clearly technically possible to do.

So it's really if the licensing restriction kicks in given that the Xbox One (IIRC) requires its own custom ported versions of BC games for the downloads, and those counting as new versions of the games or something.

• Options
    However, if the licensing only allows for the sale or use on a specific platform, then they can't. Obviously the technical ability to do so isn't really in question. Let's be honest, though, if there is enough of a market for doing so, they'd do it.

Which is why Gladius and The Warriors won't ever get BC.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Ooh, that reminds me, of they could make the 360 release of MVC2 backwards compatible that would be a dangerously good thing.

• Options
    edited January 2019
    However, if the licensing only allows for the sale or use on a specific platform, then they can't. Obviously the technical ability to do so isn't really in question. Let's be honest, though, if there is enough of a market for doing so, they'd do it.

Sale, sure. Use, I'm unconvinced.

Maybe licensing legalese has changed but that wasn't an issue with BC on any platform prior to how the Xbox One does it. See all the OG Xbox games that work on a 360 that include licensed content, for but one example relevant to this thread. And that list includes a lot of the games we're wishlisting for the One.

Jazz on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Jazz wrote: »

Maybe licensing legalese has changed but that wasn't an issue with BC on any platform prior to how the Xbox One does it. See all the OG Xbox games that work on a 360 that include licensed content, for but one example relevant to this thread. And that list includes a lot of the games we're wishlisting.

It comes down to how the emulation works. When you put Ninja Gaiden Black into an Xbox 360, you're actually playing the game off the disc, not too dissimilarly to how you played it on the original Xbox, via software emulation.

When you put the same game, or any Xbox 360 game, into a Xbox One, the game doesn't run off the disc. The physical media works as a portable license. The whole game is downloaded from Xbox Live.

This is why, as far as I know, every BC game on Xbox One is available on the storefront. Lots of old Xbox games, maybe the majority of them, that you can play on an Xbox 360 aren't available for digital purchase.

The new way is obviously inconvenient in some ways, though it does "force" Microsoft to give more thought into each individual game's emulation. I suspect it wasn't entirely Microsoft's decision to make--the same way if Microsoft released a new Old Xbox (and gave it a Nintendo-sounding name, like "New Old Xbox"), they would be completely within their rights to make it work with every Xbox game (excluding multiplayer concerns), the new distribution mechanism of BC, with Microsoft publishing every single BC game Xbox One, puts new constraints on them. But with those disadvantages, comes some advantages: availability of the library on new console hardware, visual upgrades and refinements, etc.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Yes, exactly my point, and as I understand it, the version the Xbox One downloads is an Xbox One specific port rather than a traditional emulation. Which is where I think the licensing issue arises.

The 360 running an OG Xbox game is literally playing the original code on the disc via software emulation (and not a small amount of witchcraft).

• Options
    Hopefully that shit just works on Scarlett. Like I get were going to have limited OG and 360 support, but give me full Xbox One support, dammit.

• Options
    Hopefully that shit just works on Scarlett. Like I get were going to have limited OG and 360 support, but give me full Xbox One support, dammit.

If they're sticking with x86 architecture, that should be relatively straightforward. Fingers crossed.

• Options

That's what Microsoft's promising pretty consistently. They've even hinted at the possibility of forward compatibility with Xbox One....all you people playing games on potatoes (who are actually the majority of PC gamers on Steam, hardware surveys suggests), that will be a familiar experience.

• Options
    Jazz wrote: »

Maybe licensing legalese has changed but that wasn't an issue with BC on any platform prior to how the Xbox One does it. See all the OG Xbox games that work on a 360 that include licensed content, for but one example relevant to this thread. And that list includes a lot of the games we're wishlisting for the One.

While this example isn't directly comparable, it should be sufficient:

Harmonix created the Rock Band Network to allow people to create and submit tracks for approval and sale within Rock Band. RBN was inherently a function of what was the XNA Creators Club for the Xbox 360. A selection of songs were ported to the PS3 and Wii which, of course, required a separate licensing agreement with the involved parties.

However, when Rock Band 4 was released for X1 and PS4, most of the official HMX songs were made available to continue the whole library thing. But, none of the RBN songs made the cut. The licensing was considered too difficult to obtain due to the nature of the whole. However, nearly a year ago, HMX announced that the most popular RBN songs would begin to appear for RB4.
    however, there is some bad news for fans still sticking with the games -- apparently due to royalty agreements, purchases made on older systems won't carry over.

Meaning that they had to re-license content for re-release on a new platform even though they clearly had the capability to just port the tracks over.

It's never really as simple as people would like. The technical ability to do a thing is sometimes superseded by the legal ability. And, strangely, IP holders tend to be really aggressive with licensing for use on specific platforms. Just because some previously licensed content has been made available on new, unplanned for platforms, doesn't mean that all content can be made available. (Why did Beatles tracks not get some sort of export? Beatles rights management refused to allow the songs to be used anywhere but the game they were licensed for.)

Licensing is hard, yo.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

If accurate, I think that would mean every CoD would be available on the Xbox One, which is kind of cool.

EDIT: Wait, wasn't Too Human removed from store shelves?

ASURA'S WRATH!?!
    GET HYPE AND SPREAD THOSE BUTT CHEEKS!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    I’m given to understand that there are also some hurdles with companies deciding that the whole streaming thing means that the old publishing / distribution contracts don’t apply since they didn’t include broadcasting rights so obviously there needs to be a new deal etc.

Corporate crap be crap, yo.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    I know it is marketing, but..

Check out @Xbox’s Tweet:

This makes me very happy.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I’m given to understand that there are also some hurdles with companies deciding that the whole streaming thing means that the old publishing / distribution contracts don’t apply since they didn’t include broadcasting rights so obviously there needs to be a new deal etc.

Corporate crap be crap, yo.

I remember when they started putting Beavis & Butthead and Daria on DVD, they had to gut a lot of the pop music in the transition. Content-wise, Daria suffered less because the music was always just in the background, but a lot of B&B's content was them watching and making fun of music videos. They did make an attempt, and managed to license a small selection of those videos, but a lot of them are only available through piracy now.

Having to renegotiate licensing deals for every re-release sucks, and it seems to frequently result in the re-release not happening at all. And that's just a lose-lose-lose situation for all interested parties.

• Options
    I know it is marketing, but..

Check out @Xbox’s Tweet:

This makes me very happy.

That's a great ad and sentiment. If I recall right this controller came about from one of microsofts like think sessions and caught fire because one of their execs has a child with MS.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Even though all I've really seen of the adaptive controller is MS' own videos, I feel pretty confident in saying it really is an absolutely awesome thing.

• Options
    The TV commercial for that was always a little weird. A bunch of kids abandoning what they're doing to go over to another kid's house to watch him win a game. (Can't find it on YouTube at the moment.) Don't mistake what I'm saying that having the controller is a bad thing. But the commercial is just a bit off.

I think a better one would have been to have some kids (or adults, too) playing games online. The shots jump from player to player and eventually the game/match/round ends as everybody congratulates the winner. Last cut to the winner who is one of the handicapped players the controller is designed for and they're smiling as we hear the congratulations come from their speaker.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    The TV commercial for that was always a little weird. A bunch of kids abandoning what they're doing to go over to another kid's house to watch him win a game. (Can't find it on YouTube at the moment.) Don't mistake what I'm saying that having the controller is a bad thing. But the commercial is just a bit off.

I think a better one would have been to have some kids (or adults, too) playing games online. The shots jump from player to player and eventually the game/match/round ends as everybody congratulates the winner. Last cut to the winner who is one of the handicapped players the controller is designed for and they're smiling as we hear the congratulations come from their speaker.

I don't know. I love that commercial. Then again I'm an old. It reminds of olden times when this kinda thing did happen. So and so would be playing a game and close to beating or whatever and my group of friends would all run over to watch.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    That means LEGO Rock Band and LEGO Lord of the Rings are the only LEGO games not available on X1. That's crazy.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Banzai5150 wrote: »

I don't know. I love that commercial. Then again I'm an old. It reminds of olden times when this kinda thing did happen. So and so would be playing a game and close to beating or whatever and my group of friends would all run over to watch.

This was the sentiment I think the commercial actually was conveying. I probably saw the commercial a dozen times before I even noticed the adaptive controller, and my wife who hadn’t heard about it wouldn’t have noticed if I hadn’t pointed it out.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Got an email with some details about Crackdown 3, some light story spoilers in here
    In Crackdown 3, players will:

Tear down a criminal empire

-Ten years after the events of Crackdown 2, the sinister TerraNova corporation has created a series of global catastrophes and seized the island metropolis of New Providence. Once again, it's up to The Agency to destroy the syndicate by any means necessary and restore order to the city—even if that means creating a little chaos first.

Play your way

-Crackdown's familiar "skills for thrills" progression system returns, doling out experience orbs across five attributes based on playstyle. Rooftop parkour challenges offer Agility bonuses and street races improve Driving and so on.

Discover New Providence

-Explore a massive open world that lets players go anywhere they want, any time they want, right from the start.

"The campaign world is twice the size of the original city," says Design Director Clint Bundrick. "So not only twice the size in terms of footprint, but the tallest building is twice as tall as the tallest building in the original."

-New Providence is ruled by multiple bosses across three unique factions. It's up to players to decide when and how to dismantle each faction's strongholds. With every boss you eliminate, you weaken TerraNova's grip on the city.

Destroy everything in Wrecking Zones

-Experience unparalleled destruction in Wrecking Zone, The Agency's private training facility. Powered by Microsoft's Azure cloud technology, the modes' destructible elements will behave the same across all devices. In Wrecking Zone, two teams of five will topple buildings, charge through walls, and obliterate bridges. Two maps and modes have been confirmed at launch.

-Agent Hunter. Collect dead opponents' dog tags.

-Territory. Capture and hold objectives.

Special Agents

-Crackdown 3 features a variety of male and—for the first time—female Agents. Each Agent specializes in certain skills, meaning they level up faster in those areas. For example, Terry Crews (Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Deadpool 2) brings his signature energy and charisma to the role of the playable character Commander Jaxon, who specializes in Explosives and Strength.

-Character slots are saved independently of world slots, so you can take any Agent into any map—upping the replay factor by letting you take a maxed-out Agent into a fresh world.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Also dunno if it's been mentioned, but Crackdown 3's Co-op got dropped from 4 players to 2. I'm glad it's still in there, I have fond memories of playing the original in Co-op for hours.

• Options
    Preview embargo expires at 6pm pst tomorrow IIRC.

• Options
    Crack down 3 has felt weird as hell in that I've seen no ad blitz for the game at all. Like I watch youtube, twitch, I get gamer ads, I've seen shit about crackdown 3.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I've previously seen a decent number of Terry Crews ads on television (yes, I have cable television), but those numbers have diminished lately now that you mention it.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Yeah the only ones I've really seen are some Very Good Terry Crews bits and some recorded footage of Wrecking Zone

Wrecking Zone is super interesting from a shooter standpoint that the hyper aggressive lock-on means the game is a lot less about mechnical aiming skill and more about movement and cover, which ties really well into the destruction stuff