As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Perhaps. I have a mom and pop store and they have a lot of original Xbox games. The standard price is 15-20, and that's for the less common ones. More common ones are around 5-10 like the Halo and Madden games.

Like, GameStop is the most likely to jack prices up and I don't think even they are doing it for BC titles so *shrug*

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    GameStop will raise the price of a popular game when it hits the BC list, stuff like CoD

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Interesting. I just checked their price on Panzer Dragoon and it's 15 (same as digital). I assumed people meant Oxbox games but yeah i wouldn't go to them anyways. Support local shops if you can.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    all 3 Crysis games are now back compat.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Oh hell yeah, I've been wanting to replay Crysis 2 for a while now.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Cool!

Last week I speculated that XB1 backwards compatibility might be the best way to play the classic PS2-era Metal Gear Solid titles--since they weren't getting current generation releases, and the Xbox 360 by itself was a huge graphical step up from the Playstation 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeNayQKP0v4&t=0s

DF seems to confirm it. Namely, the Xbox 360 versions of the games provided some appreciable graphics upgrades along with much better performance (would could be all over the place on PS2), but still saw occasional performance drops. The Xbox One seems to more or less fix that problem, and improve things like texture filtering.

The bad news? There's apparently very little difference between playing this on Xbox One and Xbox One X (the HD collection is still a native 720p series), without any sort of enhancement patch. The improved texture filtering is improved slightly further, but that's about it. Not surprising, as I'm guessing the objective was to just get it working to start with. Still, it's nice to have the option (and that's more than the Playstation 4 can say, to my surprise).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Yeah it's a shame X improvements seem to be slowing down a bit. Maybe because they'll be looking forward to next hardware revis soon.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »

Woo! I have 1 & 3 digitally, just need to find my disc copy of 2.

• Options
    Yeah it's a shame X improvements seem to be slowing down a bit. Maybe because they'll be looking forward to next hardware revis soon.

They're still good in actual new games--take a look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider to start--but we are getting some "lazier" efforts for +10 year old releases, which isn't that surprising.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

They're still good in actual new games--take a look at Shadow of the Tomb Raider to start--but we are getting some "lazier" efforts for +10 year old releases, which isn't that surprising.

And Minecraft

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

That took so long I figured it wasn't happening.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Does One X have anything like the PS4pro's "boost mode"?

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

That took so long I figured it wasn't happening.

Crysis probably took them the longest to get working, and releasing 2 and 3 without 1 probably seemed weird.

• Options
    Erlkönig wrote: »

And Minecraft

Everything that Minecraft--either a 7 or 4 year old game depending on how you look at it--needs from the Xbox One X would be in the Super Duper Graphics Pack.

And apparently the team working on that was killed in a freak avalanche or something, because we haven't heard anything back on that.
    Dirty wrote: »
    Does One X have anything like the PS4pro's "boost mode"?

Good question. As I understand it, the PSFro's "Boost Mode" is an toggle-able feature to improve framerates for otherwise "unpatched" PS4 games on the more powerful model. It doesn't always work, and to be fair, lots of games PSFro-patches anyway, effectively bypassing it, but it's there. It does not effect resolution.

Xbox One X doesn't have "boost mode"--or rather, it does, but it's not toggle-able, and it can't be shut off. DF did features on multiple games in the XB1 library that, with no further patching (sometimes going as far as to play unpatched versions of the game via disk installations on offline consoles) improve framerates were common in games with unlocked framerates (and locked framerates where drops were occasional). Once again, this is just a "default" option--people reported a similar, more subtle improvement when playing games on the Xbox One S (hereto just referred to as "Xbox One") versus the launch Xbox One ("the big one", no longer manufactured) hardware because of the revised hardware's slightly higher clock speeds.

But there are also several levels of "patching" on top of that. Apparently, even at launch of the XB1X, a bunch of titles that ran at 720p or 900p on XB1 already had 1080p support (with no deliberate change to framerates, except perhaps more consistency). DF called these "barebones patches", if I recall correctly, since it was most obvious in XB1 games that technically could run at 1080p, but never did (and since so many games have variable resolution nowadays)--what was practically a 720 or 760 or 900p game became a 1080p game in practical terms. The good patches, in other words, "Xbox One X enhancements" as Microsoft bills them, are much more extensive, involving over-1080p resolutions, additional framerate/performance options (like in FH4), and sometimes even texture packs (like in Shadow of War).

I think that covers your question? I've done more than my share of thinking on this.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2018

And Minecraft

Everything that Minecraft--either a 7 or 4 year old game depending on how you look at it--needs from the Xbox One X would be in the Super Duper Graphics Pack.

And apparently the team working on that was killed in a freak avalanche or something, because we haven't heard anything back on that.

It was more a commentary on Minecraft's Xb1X Enhancement listing being stuck at "In Development" since the day the list came out.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

And Minecraft

It was more a commentary on Minecraft's Xb1X Enhancement listing being stuck at "In Development" since the day the list came out.

Isn't that the SDGP update? I thought it was.

I thought otherwise Minecraft got a barebones update (then again, it already ran at 1080p didn't it?) in the meantime. But yes, no 2160p support, most obviously.

• Options
    and here's what will be leaving Game Pass at the end of this month.
    • Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty
    • Resident Evil
    • Sky Force Anniversary
    • World of Van Helsing: Deathtrap
    • Mega Man 9 (360)

https://www.trueachievements.com/n34825/update-five-titles-leaving-xbox-game-pass-at-the-end-of-october-2018

• Options
    I've been giving RE a try since I've never played the remake, only the original (a long time ago at that). Unfortunately, it's still an awkward entry if you're more used to 4, 5, and 6. RE2's remake will probably be more feasible.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Has there been any talk if Soul Calibur 6 will be enhanced for the X?

• Options
    edited October 2018
    TexiKen wrote: »

Most likely? Almost every major release I can think of takes advantage of 1X and Pro enhancements. Even if they don't specifically do so, Digital Foundry typically sees a greater FPS cap on games that would struggle on base hardware.

Most recent Bandai Namco game with the updates was DBZF, so you can expect similar enhancements to that game probably
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/02/07/inside-xbox-one-x-enhanced-dragon-ball-fighterz/

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    TexiKen wrote: »

DF's fully expecting so, and considering it's in UE4, it'd be more surprising if it didn't. That being said, I don't think we've had any insight into what specifically those enhancements will be (same with Ace Combat 7, also in UE4).

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    So I know this changed a couple months ago for non-preview people like myself, but I really hate the new store layout when you are on a game’s page.

I’ve only really experienced it so far when getting my GWG, but it feels slower and clunkier. I don’t need to see the page’s full backdrop before the part pops up that lets me actually buy/claim the game. Who asked for this?

• Options
    Call of Duty: Black Ops IV--is it still a big deal? Signs point to yes, with the new battle royale 'Blackout' mode.

Warning: This episode has use of the nickname "the 'Fro" for the Playstation 4 Pro console. If this disturbs you, you're a weenie and should not watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIV4ggXs2pg&t=0s

Basic rundown: unfortunately, the base Xbox One is an increasingly blurry mess due to low resolutions (sub-1080p) and aggressive TAA, in DF's opinion. The PS4 isn't much better, but it is better. The mode really shines on XB1X and PSFro though--visuals on the XB1X, which comes much closer to matching 2160p and with better texture filtering, in particular. However, the Playstation 4 consoles have better framerates, closer to a consistent 60 FPS, though between the upgraded consoles the difference is extremely small.

• Options
    hey look, some more 360 titles getting the One X Enhanced treatment.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    "Synthesis wrote: »
    "Warning: This episode has use of the nickname "the 'Fro" for the Playstation 4 Pro console.

….I don't get it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    "Synthesis wrote: »
    "Warning: This episode has use of the nickname "the 'Fro" for the Playstation 4 Pro console.

….I don't get it.

The nickname has upset some very passionate people in the past. "You're all terrible people," was thrown around.

So this is not exclusive to Xbox in any way, but I think I'm going to need to pre-order the next release of Hitman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5Bu02IwGk

• Options
    Call of Duty: Black Ops IV--is it still a big deal? Signs point to yes, with the new battle royale 'Blackout' mode.

Warning: This episode has use of the nickname "the 'Fro" for the Playstation 4 Pro console. If this disturbs you, you're a weenie and should not watch this.

Oh god it's spreading.

• Options
    Nice I can't wait to see what L4D/2 look like, those are in my top 10 games of all time

• Options
    Well, that's a Valve-a-licious update. Wonder if Portal 2 is getting added to that at a later point.

• Options

I do think getting upset over a stupid nickname is pretty weak, but I'm just not a fan of any of the hardware nicknames the gaming community comes up with. Fro, XBone, Wiimote, Pupper. They never feel clever enough to be genuinely amusing, and they're not saving much in the way of keystrokes either.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Pupper?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options

I do think getting upset over a stupid nickname is pretty weak, but I'm just not a fan of any of the hardware nicknames the gaming community comes up with. Fro, XBone, Wiimote, Pupper. They never feel clever enough to be genuinely amusing, and they're not saving much in the way of keystrokes either.

Sounds like you're not disturbed by it, and cleared to watch the video.

• Options
    Pupper?

Some people joked when the Switch launched that the Joycons when on the pad looked like a Puppy face with ears

I haven't heard anyone call it that since launch tho

• Options
    Pupper?

The Switch Joycon with the grip looks vaguely like a dog's face (joysticks are the eyes, the grips are the ears). Some folks were even selling stickers with dog mouths to make it more obvious.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Pupper?
    The grip thing that holds the swiimotes kinda looks like a cartoon dog face.

• Options
    I haven't heard anyone call it that since launch tho
    It definitely doesn't come up as often as those other ones I listed, but I see it mentioned when someone asks "Yo, what control setup do you prefer on Switch?"

swiimotes
    Okay, yeah, I legit hate this so much.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I really hope this isn’t the one new thing I’m supposed to learn today.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    Pupper?

The Switch Joycon with the grip looks vaguely like a dog's face (joysticks are the eyes, the grips are the ears). Some folks were even selling stickers with dog mouths to make it more obvious.

...I can't see it.

• Options
    tn5ghtrcf0hq.png

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    ...anybody else hungry for a tossed salad?