As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    It was a wording error; they'll be showing off new bundles and accessories.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It was a wording error; they'll be showing off new bundles and accessories.

Well, I feel very slightly vindicated.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The Ultimate Game Sale started, you can find all the deals on Major Nelson's site, but please listen to me
    There is only one thing you need to buy in this sale, and it is a requirement.
    That is DOOM + Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus for $26.40.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    OK to contradict myself there is some other good stuff:
    The Bioware Bundle, containing Mass Effect Andromeda Deluxe Edition + the preorder bonus + a bunch of multiplayer characters + Dragon Age: Inquisition Game of the Year Edition for $19.80: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/the-bioware-bundle/c3hh84mvxd11
    Mad Max for $10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/mad-max/bq2f1lgnl6m1 (Currently $5 for PC on Green Man Gaming, so if you want it cheaper don't buy it here lol)
    Batman: Return to Arkham, a bundle containing Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City for $10: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/batman-return-to-arkham/brw49cbs558d
    Dying Light: The Following Enhanced Edition, which is Dying Light + all the DLC for $17.99: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/dying-light-the-following-enhanced-edition/bz7982mk3fwd

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    The prototype remaster are on sale...must...be... strong

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    The prototype remaster are on sale...must...be... strong

If it helps, I hear they did a bad job with the remasters

which is a bummer because I loved being VenomHulk

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yeah that's why I was hesitant, I don't wanna encourage Activision's shitty port jobs or the profit they'd see off the backs of fired employees (from when they shut down Radical Studios)

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Hm. Got a $20 dollar gift card I could spend. Think I've narrowed down my choices to XCOM 2, the Borderlands Handsome collection, Dark Souls 2, Everspace, and Elite: Dangerous. The first three I feel like are pretty known quantities for me, but the latter two much less so. Anyone here have opinions on them?

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I just want a goddamn penta and this sale won’t distract me from wasting my time trying to get it legit

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    No Pit People? Poop. But I guess it did just come out a few months ago.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

IF you've never played Dante's Inferno pick this up. It has Jiggle Physics that put Dead Or Alive to shame and its all....
    Invested in Lucifer's 2 foot long goat dong

Was actually one of the first games I ever 100%'ed

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Looking at the sale, how does Elder Scrolls online play on console? And is it very solo-able?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    So, are we at the point where it's okay to enjoy Dante's Inferno unironically? The game was basically, "Hey, remember Ivy from Soulcalibur? Did you look at her and go, 'This is great, but I really need her to have bigger tits, less clothing, more S&M, and make her a whole battalion of demons.' Because we have a game for you!"

Just kidding. Not really, that's actually a good description of Dante's Inferno. I just remember it getting pretty bad feedback when it came out, to say the least.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    It's certainly tryhard as all get out but, it's the closest we've gotten to a God of War game so hey, I'll take it

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Also I didn’t realize DA2 was back compatible. Wonder why it isn’t free in the EA Access vault like Origins and Inquisition (and all of the Mass Effects).

• Options
    It's certainly tryhard as all get out but, it's the closest we've gotten to a God of War game so hey, I'll take it

I could've sworn that either Prototype game was kind of in that genre, but I may honestly be getting it confused with Infamous (also a Playstation exclusive).

Despite multiple efforts at trying, I never really took to the God of War gameplay style (probably one of the reasons I haven't bought the new one on PS4), the way I did to Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry. Still, I can appreciate wanting something similar.

Plus, pretty sure Dante's Inferno has boning in it, which was an essential part of Kratos' first few adventures.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Looking at the sale, how does Elder Scrolls online play on console? And is it very solo-able?

I like it fine myself. Keep in mind though that there's no Auction House as that sort of thing is done through guild shops so you won't exactly be rolling in it early on unless you like stealing everything not nailed down and fencing it off.

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Ah dammit I can't format the joke right. Never mind. :p

dporowski on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I could've sworn that either Prototype game was kind of in that genre, but I may honestly be getting it confused with Infamous (also a Playstation exclusive).

Despite multiple efforts at trying, I never really took to the God of War gameplay style (probably one of the reasons I haven't bought the new one on PS4), the way I did to Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry. Still, I can appreciate wanting something similar.

Plus, pretty sure Dante's Inferno has boning in it, which was an essential part of Kratos' first few adventures.

Prototype is an open world destructathon

You run around New York as VenomHulk and smash tanks and helicopters and people

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/Vos82cq9VOE

This looks more Halo than Halo 5

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, are we at the point where it's okay to enjoy Dante's Inferno unironically? The game was basically, "Hey, remember Ivy from Soulcalibur? Did you look at her and go, 'This is great, but I really need her to have bigger tits, less clothing, more S&M, and make her a whole battalion of demons.' Because we have a game for you!"

Just kidding. Not really, that's actually a good description of Dante's Inferno. I just remember it getting pretty bad feedback when it came out, to say the least.

I recall the negative feedback was before the game released. Snarky BS for turning Dante's Inferno into some edgelord game (which I admit I participated in...) But then it came out, and surprisingly it was a pretty good God of War style clone with ripe ass tiddies and demon dongs.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I recall the negative feedback was before the game released. Snarky BS for turning Dante's Inferno into some edgelord game (which I admit I participated in...) But then it came out, and surprisingly it was a pretty good God of War style clone with ripe ass tiddies and demon dongs.
    Yeah, if you're sensitive to the over sexualized interpretation of what Hell would be like with the seven deadly sins, then it's not a game for you. It's one hell of a fun hack'n'slash with fun weapons/upgrades and decent QTE sequences. I've played the shit out of it and will definitely be playing it again now.

And as Local H said, it's the closest thing Xbox has to a God of War-type game.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options

Yeah, but I thought the combat was vaguely similar. I'm probably thinking of one of the Infamous sequels.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Has anyone played Elex? The concept seems interesting, but I could see it either being really good, or really bad.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Has anyone played Elex? The concept seems interesting, but I could see it either being really good, or really bad.

Elex is fucking shit.

Even on the easiest difficulty it's a crap shoot as to whether or not a rando enemy will one-shot you. Unbalanced cluster fuck of a game. There was a big balancing patch on PC a while ago, but last I checked they still hadn't patched it on consoles. Even then, I dunno if it'd be worth it.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

Elex is fucking shit.

Even on the easiest difficulty it's a crap shoot as to whether or not a rando enemy will one-shot you. Unbalanced cluster fuck of a game. There was a big balancing patch on PC a while ago, but last I checked they still hadn't patched it on consoles. Even then, I dunno if it'd be worth it.

100% agree. Keep a safe distance, don't make eye contact.

If you want an interesting game with janky combat, Vampyr is right there.

• Options
    That's mildly depressing--I'm one of those people who always roots for "B" games to actually be good and prove they're still a viable alternative to "Tripe A", and "Indie"/"Not really Indie just don't tell the hipsters" releases.

• Options
    Vampyr is an excellent example of a good "B tier" game. Combat is a little janky, but it works fine once you get used to it. Story is pretty interesting, and deciding who to feed on for those big XP gains is like a game all its own.

• Options

Yeah, but I thought the combat was vaguely similar. I'm probably thinking of one of the Infamous sequels.

Eh, there's a tendril/whip mode you can go into that I guess would a little similar to Kratos' chain blades? Otherwise I guess they're both 3rd person action games featuring a strong dude with combos used to brutally tear enemies apart. In Prototype though you're really fast, can jump stories high, run up builds, glide through the air, there's various "weapon" forms you can go into such as the whip, hammerfists, and giant claws.

Like, imagine the Hulk fights from the MCU where he's tearing around the city, leaping off buildings, throwing vehicles, but you can also shapeshift your body into weapons... which I guess is more of a Carnage thing than Venom. I guess I can see how they are similar on the surface, but having played both games a lot, the combat feels very different.

I think Infamous Second Son had fire powers with a fire whip maybe?

There's also Heavenly Sword, I think that was similar to GoW

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018

There was/is an Elex thread, and I think the last post from someone who beat it may help your decision:
    Derrick wrote: »
    Finally got around to beating this one today. 59 hours in total. All in all, I'm very happy with this game. Well worth the full price purchase.

Non spoiler thoughts-

Combat goes from really rough at the beginning, to really enjoyable towards the middle. At then end, things are just a little too easy but since the game makes you work to get to that level, it's still pretty satisfying.

The story is well done and satisfying. Choices matter.

What I think messes with people in this game (and got me too in the beginning) is that your assumptions of the genre can work against you. One thing is that armor works in a static way against damage. If a monster has 10 armor and you do 9 damage, he's invincible. When you put points into stats, it does sweet fuck all but qualify you for better weapons and perks. Chaining attacks is also really, really important which may not be super intuitive. The game tells you that, but doesn't beat you over the head with it.

I've watched a few streamers (Like Dansgaming) play it and not realize the reason they couldn't hurt monsters was because their equipment blew ass. What level they were is largely irrelevant. Leveling stats at the mid game is done though Elex potions- not actually leveling. So those weapons that look like they have crazy requirements aren't out of reach.

Criticism-

The game doesn't explain itself too well. You basically have to take a hinted whisper as the game screaming at you. Chain attacks. Learn parry timings (two handers can be parried, btw. I've seen a video incorrectly saying you couldn't). Back dash and rolls have a lot of invincibility frames at the beginning of the animation. You will need these for fighting large groups in melee.

Systems being a little vague + people operating off their assumptions is a bad combination for this game. Combat feels clunky until you realize it's a simplified Dark Souls system. If you do a thing, you're committed to the animation for a while so make sure you do the right thing, at the right time.

My other big criticism of the game is that there really needs to be another hotbar. There are too many useful abilities to fit on there. (Unless that option exists and I just missed it.)

General Tips-

Armor and Weapon upgrades are king. Upgrade your weapons as soon as you can get the stats for the upgraded versions.
    Chain attacks, learn parry timings, and use I-frames on rolls.
    Get Animal Trophy ASAP. 2/3 will solve your money problems. 3/3 will solve your Natural Elex shortage issues.
    Pure ranged and pure melee are doable, but you're better off having each on switch as the situation calls for it.
    Heavy weapons knock down groups of enemies.
    Food is better for healing than potions, and straight buffs to armor and damage (that you can get through food and magic) are incredibly good. Put something good to eat on your hotbar.
    If you're going to use a lot of ranged attacks, get the barter skills ASAP. You'll go through a lot of ammo.
    For Melee, the jetpack attack is very strong. If you're having problems bonking your feet on their head rather than hitting them, try boosting to the side rather than forward or back.

edit: spoiler for scroll

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    AFAIK I'm the internet's #2 Elex fan-girl. #1 is 'TheFGsquared' on youtube and twitch.

She actually managed to finish it. I only got as far as joining one of the factions. #lifegoals

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

Elex is fucking shit.

My PS4 copy is up to v1.06 or something, so it should be patched on Xbox as well, maybe?

• Options
  • Options
    Your triple post on this subject clearly shows your interest!

• Options
    Euro-jank RPG's are my Dark Souls. :D

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Allow me to introduce you to The Technomancer.

• Options
    Yeah, The Technomancer was fun, though Spiders! has a rep/stigma to their games too... I bought Elex way back when, but didn't get a chance to start it. Unfortunately, as I am Ahab-ing the hell out of Gigantic to get a penta legit, I won't be able to start it until I either a) get a Penta legit, b) the servers close on 7/31, or c) I boost it like 90% of the other achievement hunters have done.

Maybe I'll start it. Kind of want to do a few of the The Division shields first though... IDK.

• Options
    Even I found The Technomancer to be enjoyable, and I usually hate the garbage that awful studio typically releases.

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

Who would do that to themselves on purpose? Lol

• Options

Who would do that to themselves on purpose? Lol

Janky European RPGs or Dark Souls? :winky: