As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Movies] Fantastic Beasts, guest starring Xenomorphs

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I bet Jackie Chan could hop that fence like a motherfucker, I tell you what.

Probably won't even touch it, I'm betting. In his prime, at least.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I bet Jackie Chan could hop that fence like a motherfucker, I tell you what.

Probably won't even touch it, I'm betting. In his prime, at least.

He'd touch it, after he hopped over it, and then proceed to beat up 20 people with it in hilarious ways

Dang, now I wanna see Jackie Chan beat up people with a fence.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bourne five adds that terrorists killed his dad and the Treadstone program basically showed up with a sign up sheet at the funeral to take advantage of his grief and get him to sign up. I forget whether it says they caused the hit directly, false flag style, that seems far fetched...

I'm glad I never saw that film. That is the stupidest fucking thing.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I think it's funny how so many people bitch and moan about squeal/reboot burnout but than never go see new original movies when they come out. Upgrade is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. It's a fantastic original movie that no one saw because they were too busy watching Avengers for the 3rd time.

That_Guy on
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I think it's funny how so many people bitch and moan about squeal/reboot burnout but than never go see new original movies when they come out. Upgrade is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. It's a fantastic original movie that no one saw because they were too busy watching Avengers for the 3rd time.

Is it the same people watching the sequels they bemoan?

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

That tends to happen with indies vs blockbusters, unfortunately. Blockbusters get a lot more hype, promotion and access to theatres then they do.

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    What is the record for camera cuts during a three or four minute action scene? Someone somewhere must be keeping count.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RenEI-Tydo
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRjHUhBOKK0

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

The problem, for me, is that cinema tickets have gotten so expensive that I'd prefer to see a known quantity (even if it's not special) over a film that might turn out to be utterly terrible.

On a whim, for instance, I went to see The Bye Bye Man when it was in cinemas. That was a harsh lesson.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »

The problem, for me, is that cinema tickets have gotten so expensive that I'd prefer to see a known quantity (even if it's not special) over a film that might turn out to be utterly terrible.

On a whim, for instance, I went to see The Bye Bye Man when it was in cinemas. That was a harsh lesson.

It's also a little unfair to compare the unprecedented success of the MCU and other franchises (or attempted franchises). If someone chose Infinity War over Upgrade then I don't blame them. If they chose Justice League or Taken 27: The Takening over Upgrade then yeah, maybe you have a point.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    There was a Twitter thread the other day talking about movies that are good to see knowing nothing going in, and several people mentioned a 2017 film I hadn’t heard of called Brigsby Bear.

So I put it on without any further research. That was the right call and it was a pretty interesting movie. I recommend y’all do the same.

Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    On a completely different note, AMC has announced their Moviepass style competing service:

For $20/month you get three movies a week, which can be the same movie, can be back to back, can be 3D, etc, plus the AMC rewards program (normally $15/year).

AMC threw some shade at Moviepass by pointing out you can start AMC’s service the day you sign up, rather than waiting days or weeks (or longer) for Moviepass to mail you a card.

Moviepass responded in kind:

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    I wonder how easily you can subscribe/cancel with that. If you want to see 2-3 movies in July, that's worth grabbing the AMC pass.

The ability to repeat a movie is a big one too. I would absolutely have used Moviepass more than once for Infinity War if I could have, and I believe Black Panther saw a lot of repeat business because Moviepass was allowing repeats at the time. They're not gonna knock Moviepass out of business with this, but they might carve out a niche group.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's a good deal, especially if it's month-to-month like has been reported. It makes me wonder why AMC would do it, though. They are literally offering a better deal than MoviePass but aren't getting paid for the tickets - they are actually eating those costs themselves.

It's also a bit sad for the small and independent theaters (and movies) who are getting caught in the middle. To be perfectly honest, I've gone to my local independent theater a half-dozen times since I picked up MoviePass, and I absolutely would not go otherwise because the cost frankly isn't worth it.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    It's a good deal, especially if it's month-to-month like has been reported. It makes me wonder why AMC would do it, though. They are literally offering a better deal than MoviePass but aren't getting paid for the tickets - they are actually eating those costs themselves.

It's also a bit sad for the small and independent theaters (and movies) who are getting caught in the middle. To be perfectly honest, I've gone to my local independent theater a half-dozen times since I picked up MoviePass, and I absolutely would not go otherwise because the cost frankly isn't worth it.

Because AMC would like to have people in to the movies more often and has little bottom line on the margin.

The issue with movie pass for them is that movie pass wanted to squeeze them for revenue as a middle man monopoly.

wbBv3fj.png
  • grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    The AMC pass requires 3 months up front.

Goumindong wrote: »

Because AMC would like to have people in to the movies more often and has little bottom line on the margin.

The issue with movie pass for them is that movie pass wanted to squeeze them for revenue as a middle man monopoly.

MoviePass wants to squeeze them out for revenue as the man-in-the-middle. They haven't been able to yet, and by most accounts will never have the leverage to do so in the future.

The main issue that big chains like AMC have is with MoviePass is that it is essentially lowering the value of their product. People will be unwilling to spend $20 on a movie ticket if they are used to the idea of paying $20 a month to see as many movies as they want. Even if people don't take advantage of the deal, they will refuse to spend current retail prices because of the psychological devaluing of the product in question.

So the question becomes whether or not that ship has sailed and MoviePass has already altered the public consciousness, or if there is enough time to wait out their (supposedly-inevitable) failure and let things go back to the status quo.

The fact that AMC is actually coming out with their own competing product is an interesting tack that I'm not sure makes sense unless they believe that ship has already sailed and that MoviePass has a viable business model (when altered for AMC), and are getting out in front of the market by providing a chain-specific alternative.

If this is the future, then to your point they are likely banking on people going to the movies more often but spending more on concessions in general. Which is risky but entirely plausible - I, for one, have been willing to buy popcorn because my ticket was already paid for.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    And speaking of moviepass, this is a little interesting:
    https://news.avclub.com/gottis-weird-anti-critic-campaign-is-spawning-some-very-1826986693

long story short, Gotti has a 0% critic review score, but was 70+ with fans. Then you notice that Gotti had more fan reviews than Oceans 8 and almost as many as Incredibles 2 and you start to clutch your pearls at the idea of astroturfing.

• Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    The AMC pass requires 3 months up front.

Still, that's like a 60$ commitment. With summer rolling around I will definitely spend more than 60$ and with this, I would see stuff that generally I would wait for video.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • grumblethorngrumblethorn Registered User regular
    The AMC deal is pretty sweet for me. The wife and I go to the movies once a week and this last week went three times, including to see Rifftrax SPace Mutiny! Considering two tickets in a months exceeds the cost of the service and has no real restrictions and i earn the stubs stuff as well. Probably not great for most people but it's tailored for me.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Wish we had an AMC here, I'd be all over that.

It's a shame the AMC theater in town is crap or I might consider that. Regal is the only group that has a good theater in town.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, where is Regal's subscription service? Or is that MoviePass and I am a dumb dumb?

Yeah, where is Regal's subscription service? Or is that MoviePass and I am a dumb dumb?

I use my MoviePass at the Regal. The 2 companies are not associated though.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    AMC stands for Always Missing Classiness, boom nailed it bingle bangle.

Although I feel like going to one based on what was mentioned in the trailer thread about them now having the arrogance to put Grinch mini clips in between trailers, just to see how they can justify that (because fuck you, that's why, I know)

First look at Sarah Connor for Terminator 6.

Tom Reagan's Hat is your huckleberry, apparently

She looks good, though I'm disappointed Emilia Clarke isn't coming back.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Why...

sig.gif
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    There's no sequel but what we make for ourselves.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    First look at Sarah Connor for Terminator 6.

Tom Reagan's Hat is your huckleberry, apparently

She looks good, though I'm disappointed Emilia Clarke isn't coming back.

ok, look, this time.....

Seriously, I am a firm believer in the concept that terminator 1 and 2 said everything there is to say about that universe and idea that was compelling enough to make for a great film, but I just know Ill keep coming back with stupid hope. Even as someone who absolutely fucking loathed Genysis

Aliens as a series is dead to me, they could announce one with sigourney weaver and I wouldnt care.

Prohass on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I can't remember how Genysis ended. There was a betrayal or something ... time travel ... Sarah Connor died of cancer in between T2 and T3 but now she's alive again ...

emnmnme wrote: »
    I can't remember how Genysis ended. There was a betrayal or something ... time travel ... Sarah Connor died of cancer in between T2 and T3 but now she's alive again ...

Sarah wound up on Westeros and has dragons now.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Cameron gets rights to the franchise back next year, and he's co-producing. Since 3 was already not canon and they're ignoring the TV series, Salvation and Genisys, Sarah Connor being alive requires no time travel fuckery, it's just a straight line from 2 to this. I am cautiously optimistic.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    You couldn't pay me to fall for more Terminator. Linda Hamilton is great and all, but that ship has sailed for me.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The first Terminator was just a slasher horror flick with a robot and I liked Genisys

*flees*

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The first Terminator was just a slasher horror flick with a robot

I mean, yeah. That was the concept. It's a really lean and mean movie with a killer idea.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Linda is looking pretty good, she slimmed down from when she was on Defiance.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Aww I miss Defiance.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Cameron gets rights to the franchise back next year, and he's co-producing. Since 3 was already not canon and they're ignoring the TV series, Salvation and Genisys, Sarah Connor being alive requires no time travel fuckery, it's just a straight line from 2 to this. I am cautiously optimistic.
    boo hiss

sig.gif
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Aww I miss Defiance.

Me too, I liked the despite early episodes Nolan was a rather nuanced moderately "good" person in that he was and he wasn't. You don't see that much with heroes in scifi settings.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    The first Terminator was just a slasher horror flick with a robot and I liked Genisys

*flees*

I think that Genisys was really fucked over by the marketing crew.
    If they had left that twist a secret instead of throwing it in the first trailer for the movie...

This discussion has been closed.