As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    So what is the buyin price now for PS4 Pro and PSVR? $550? does that give you everything you need?

I think it's more like $600 ($350 for PS4 Pro and $250 for PSVR bundle). Not bad considering it cost over a thousand dollars when I got everything.

And yeah, that would give you everything you need to play since the PS4 comes with a DS4 controller and the PSVR bundle comes with the headset, Move controllers, camera, and breakout box.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Holy shit Superhot is amazing. The game didn't really grab me before but in VR it's unbelievable

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Six wrote: »
    Holy shit Superhot is amazing. The game didn't really grab me before but in VR it's unbelievable

I said it in the last thread, but I still think it's the premier VR experience. I imagine it will get overtaken in this latest wave of games, but the combination of polish, sense of place, prop interactivity, and the way time interacts with your body is uniquely VR.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    templewulf wrote: »

I said it in the last thread, but I still think it's the premier VR experience. I imagine it will get overtaken in this latest wave of games, but the combination of polish, sense of place, prop interactivity, and the way time interacts with your body is uniquely VR.

It also makes you feel like most goddamn badass motherfucker ever. Rip a gun out of a guy’s hand and shoot him in the face with it then dodge a bullet while you shoot another guy whose gun pops up in the air and you grab it and then shoot two more dudes to either side of you all in slow motion. It’s like when you’d act out an action scene from a movie as a kid in the pool or something.

Beat Saber and the arrow shooting game from Lab are great but if anyone who plays shooters comes over, they’re getting a steaming dose of Super Hot.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Don't forget grabbing a couple knives and slicing every bullet that comes your way in half for a while, then tossing the knives into someone's face

Or parrying bullets with bullets

Super

Hot

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    As awesome as Super Hot is (seriously, I love me some Super Hot), I actually think that Robo Recall somehow makes you feel like even more of a badass than that game does. You’re not just cutting bullets, you’re grabbing them out of the fucking air and throwing them back at those robot bastards. Then after reloading your gun by throwing it at a robot’s head, you grab his lifeless husk and smash it against one of his buddies in a splash of mechanical gore.

It’s really quite an experience.

EDIT - It also has the best opening theme ever.

https://youtu.be/WB42_v2eeQ0

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Finished Moss. Almost made me cry at one point. Definitely a good example of the way VR can have a greater effect on you in a much shorter time.

Which is, really, the only complaint I have about Moss. Very short, as have been most VR experiences. Hopefully the development of VR software of that quality is already profitable, and as more people adopt the tech, games will get longer.

That's awesome that you liked it! The point where you almost cried was it:
    near the very end? at one point I believe the player is made to think Quill dies

As for story length, at least Book 2 is in development!

Long VR games are rare. Obviously there's Skyrim and Fallout... Doom was kinda long. My favorite long-ish games were RE7 and Farpoint.

No:
    I don't know of any time the game makes you think Quill dies, but it was when Quill begs you to help her after Adurnan is killed by Sarffog. A+ on the voice acting.

• Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    As awesome as Super Hot is (seriously, I love me some Super Hot), I actually think that Robo Recall somehow makes you feel like even more of a badass than that game does. You’re not just cutting bullets, you’re grabbing them out of the fucking air and throwing them back at those robot bastards. Then after reloading your gun by throwing it at a robot’s head, you grab his lifeless husk and smash it against one of his buddies in a splash of mechanical gore.

It’s really quite an experience.

EDIT - It also has the best opening theme ever.

https://youtu.be/WB42_v2eeQ0

Yeah, Robo Recall is something else. Bonus points for juggling enemies with shotgun, grabbing robots and using them as a shield while you fire over their shoulder, grabbing two and smashing them together, then chucking their severed limbs at their robot buddies - it is distilled badassery.

I won't even tell you the awesomest thing you can do, because spoilers.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I need to finish it. The only reason I haven't is because I don't want it to end.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Robo Recall is the game that will get me to buy something on the Oculus store eventually (I have a Vive)

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    So what would your must buy PS4 VR titles be? Assume I'm getting Skyrim VR with the bundle so you can exclude that.

Also do you guys buy physical or just download all your PS4 VR games?

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Rec room is freeeee and of course Superhot

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    It's always weird to me that dell and hp sell other stuff on their online stores.

• Options
    If you have Redcard it's still just better getting at Target (which is what I just did) also gonna have it today.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Incindium wrote: »
    So what would your must buy PS4 VR titles be? Assume I'm getting Skyrim VR with the bundle so you can exclude that.

Also do you guys buy physical or just download all your PS4 VR games?

My PS4 Pro has 1 TB drive so I do download a ton of games. But i do still like to buy some physical games so that I can trade them in when I'm done.

Here are some PSVR games I'd recommend to start (that I have played or own):
    - Resident Evil 7
    - Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
    - Moss
    - Wipeout Omega Collection
    - Farpoint (get the bundle with the gun)
    - Playstation Worlds
    - Playroom VR (it's free and fun as heck with other people for same room social gaming)
    - Statik
    - Superhot
    - Thumper
    - Arizona Sunshine
    - Rec Room
    - Battlezone
    - Doom VFR (I liked it with the Farpoint gun)
    - Korix
    - Tumble VR

Rothgarr on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Budget Cuts pulled a Moss-style surprise launch after delaying the original May 31st launch indefinitely

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1653313354717205/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG0OVDPnXjU

• Options
    Yay! I'll be buying that soon then, if I can tear myself away from Beat Saber

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Anyone doing custom songs on beat saber and have some they like? Looking to expand my library

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Anyone doing custom songs on beat saber and have some they like? Looking to expand my library

Rattatat songs are always good for rhythm games

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Midnight City M83, and Polish Girl, both by BennyBenassi

• Options
    My wife is a fan, which is why I played it, but The Greatest Show is a great chart. There's two versions up, I've only played the first.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »

I like M83 probably more than I should

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Literally anything by BennyDaBeast is amazing

Also look up Believer and Beat It

• Options
    Oh yeah, BennyDaBeast, I got his name wrong.

• Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Pretty decent sale on the oculus store right now; burnt my "whoops we broke our software" credit and picked up arizona sunshine and thumper for about $10. Also, Onward is free for the day. Probably going to give it a go and get destroyed.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    I’m tempted to get Thumper. I already played it in pancake mode and loved it, and I imagine it would be an absolute trip in VR. Highly recommended for anyone who hasn’t played it yet, seems like a steal for that price.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Thumper is intense in vr

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It's the complete opposite of Thumper, but the Form demo is pretty good--I kind of have an appreciation for games that bypass the visual and movement limitations in the current VR headsets (like Superhot). If the rest of the game is like that (dark, beautiful puzzles that you can gradually take your time with), I need to buy it.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    It's the complete opposite of Thumper, but the Form demo is pretty good--I kind of have an appreciation for games that bypass the visual and movement limitations in the current VR headsets (like Superhot). If the rest of the game is like that (dark, beautiful puzzles that you can gradually take your time with), I need to buy it.

I haven't finished FORM yet but it's really, really good.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

I haven't finished FORM yet but it's really, really good.

The impression I get is that it's a number of independent puzzles with a learning curve--in other words, like every puzzle game since the dawn of gaming--in a very nice wrapper. Could you tell me how they hold up next to the one in the demo?

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Form is very interesting, but criminally short. I finished it in one session. More of a series of appealing VR interactions than puzzles. I liked it a lot and I'm eager to see what the developer makes next, but a linear sequence of one-off puzzles is very expensive to make. Every second of it is impressive, but there aren't that many seconds of it.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I started Moss today. It's great! Quill is so adorable and the game is beautiful.

I have a couple minor complaints though.
    First, I'm trying to fix myself and I'm sure is a Vive-only issue, but I've lost count of the number of times I've accidentally rested my thumb on the left pad and run Quill off a cliff. I kinda wish there was an option to have to "click" in the pad to move.

Second, I was working on a screen, when my wife asked me to take a break to watch the baby so she could start dinner. I quickly opened the menu and tried pushing down a few times to go to save data. Except I used my dominant hand because of habit, and apparently that pad/hand can only be used for back/confirm (the left one does up/down and back/confirm)? Anyway, it kicked me back to the library looking at the book, and it didn't seem to autosave at all. Is there no autosave? The only thing I saw was the ability to choose chapter, and it put me back to the beginning of the chapter. The Save Data menu only had the Library listed. I had to stop and take off the headset, but it's kinda frustrating if I have to go through all the screens I've already done again.

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    I started Moss today. It's great! Quill is so adorable and the game is beautiful.

First, I'm trying to fix myself and I'm sure is a Vive-only issue, but I've lost count of the number of times I've accidentally rested my thumb on the left pad and run Quill off a cliff. I kinda wish there was an option to have to "click" in the pad to move.

Second, I was working on a screen, when my wife asked me to take a break to watch the baby so she could start dinner. I quickly opened the menu and tried pushing down a few times to go to save data. Except I used my dominant hand because of habit, and apparently that pad/hand can only be used for back/confirm (the left one does up/down and back/confirm)? Anyway, it kicked me back to the library looking at the book, and it didn't seem to autosave at all. Is there no autosave? The only thing I saw was the ability to choose chapter, and it put me back to the beginning of the chapter. The Save Data menu only had the Library listed. I had to stop and take off the headset, but it's kinda frustrating if I have to go through all the screens I've already done again.

For me, it autosaved at the beginning of every room - there isn't an option to save manually. The "Save Data" menu option isn't using Save as a verb. There is only the option to Load from there. When you go back in, you should be right back at the beginning of the room you were in when you exited.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Ugh I wish Robo Recall was on sale.

Unfortunately I don’t think it goes on sale very often, since it’s one of the games that comes with Rift+Touch. Which is a real bummer since I do feel that it’s full price is just a bit high, despite how amazing it is.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

For me, it autosaved at the beginning of every room - there isn't an option to save manually. The "Save Data" menu option isn't using Save as a verb. There is only the option to Load from there. When you go back in, you should be right back at the beginning of the room you were in when you exited.
    I'm not sure what happened. I'll get back to it and have to see.

• Options
    Ok, so I think what happened was I went to Select Chapter and loaded the first chapter again. That lost my progress in the current chapter.

I ended up having to start from the beginning of the chapter, but it wasn't a *huge* deal. Took me back like 15 or so mins (I was at the end).

I finished it as well! And collected all the fragments. It's a good game! I'm excited for book 2.
    My only complaint at the end of it has to be the controls. They're a bit too sensitive and imprecise on the Vive wands for it to really shine. I kept thinking to myself that if I had a controller with joysticks and/or proper buttons, I would have gotten through the end portions much more quickly and easily. Getting caught on the edge of a platform at the end of a jump was pretty frustrating.

• Options
    Ok, so I think what happened was I went to Select Chapter and loaded the first chapter again. That lost my progress in the current chapter.

I ended up having to start from the beginning of the chapter, but it wasn't a *huge* deal. Took me back like 15 or so mins (I was at the end).

I finished it as well! And collected all the fragments. It's a good game! I'm excited for book 2.
    My only complaint at the end of it has to be the controls. They're a bit too sensitive and imprecise on the Vive wands for it to really shine. I kept thinking to myself that if I had a controller with joysticks and/or proper buttons, I would have gotten through the end portions much more quickly and easily. Getting caught on the edge of a platform at the end of a jump was pretty frustrating.

I would be very interested in a Rift Touch style controller made for Vive. I know PiMax is supposed to be interoperable with the Vive ecosystem, but I'm not holding my breath for that any more than the Knuckles.

• Options
    Setup and played VR for the first time today with my new PS4 VR. My son and I played a couple of the Playroom games with it and I tried out Skyrim VR. Really cool although I really need someone to design some sort of fan/cooling system for my glasses as doing much of anything has my glasses fogged up and dripping in short order.

I think I need to move the camera so I can put it higher and center it on my recliner chair so I can just play from it from there.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.