As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I may have gotten confused with the new oculus home and dash, but I thought it was there when I was in steam vr. I started steam vr, went through the tutorial , and in the process of trying to get natural locomotion to run, ended up at tube Oculus home somehow. Steam woukd pop uo sometimes like a browser, not sure how i did thay either.

Never got natural locomotion to work. Luckily the sale is only $3 off so not really missing out by missing it. If I wasn't so wary of skyrim vr going on sale soon I'd probably just buy them both and try it out. That's the plan when I do jump the gun, try it out, make sure I don't get vr sickness in the return window and make sure it feels good.

Anyways, not sure what I did but very cofused with the steam vr and using it in conjunction or instead of rifts software

Edit I did spend some time with the free cowboy shooting game you get with the rift now, dead buried, and oh boy, was that fun. Teamed uo with 3 people in horde mode having a blast, then did some quick and the dead style gunslinging shootouts at high noon. So much fun.

RickRude on
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    What is the expected lifespan of the psvr? Is it something I can hope to use with a ps5 in the future, or am I going to be buying a new device every generation?

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The Oculus Dash would be there when you're in SteamVR. You can bring it up at any time with the Home button on the left controller, just like in any other VR program.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The Oculus Dash would be there when you're in SteamVR. You can bring it up at any time with the Home button on the left controller, just like in any other VR program.

They updated the dash before I started playing with steam vr. The new dash has the semi circle control panel with the home button, buttons for the store, and what not, and it's grey right? I thought that was steam at first but realized I hadn't seen the new oculus interface that I downloaded/it mentioned.

Also, I think I"m holding the touch controllers wrong. I have a bad habbit of hitting the menu buttons. While playing Dead and buried somebody said to hold the controls like a gun but I'm not sure what he meant. I think I am holding the controller wrong in some way , or maybe I"m just not used to it.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    v9vnb6rhclyx.png

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

Oculus Dash is the Home button on the right controller, the SteamVR menu (Big Picture) is the Home button on the left controller.

• Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

Oculus Dash is the Home button on the right controller, the SteamVR menu (Big Picture) is the Home button on the left controller.

woops, had it back to front.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Ok, sorry for posting again but Im lost in steam vr. I loaded it up to test out locomotion, and it seems really cool! Somehow I switched back to oculus home, yet I still have the 3d steam tool bar keyboard thing in front of ne. And natural locomotion isn't running, but tabLe top sum seams to.

I'm just totally confused by the store switching, how to switch "homes" and how to use it all correctly. Is there a good tutorial ?

I own a Vive, so I went with the Revive project that just adds your Oculus games to the list in Steam VR.

I don't know how that works with the Rift, but it puts everything in one place for me

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    So I just started Lone Echo in revive. It's pretty neat. But it crashes a lot.

I wouldn't be super fussed about it, but the checkpoints are miserable and there doesn't seem to be any manual save option.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    I played the tutorials in Vox Machinae and one round of AI deathmatch. Walking and jumping feels floatier than I thought it would be -- I'm having a hard time judging the terrain from the motion -- but man, the robots are super Orky. Just all welded and bolted together, and kind of goofy looking when they walk. Going hands-on with the radio and buttons is great, but working the throttle and steering suffers from not having tactile feedback on the sticks. It's still pretty fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing how future giant robot sims improve on the experience.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    Compound is a pretty fun rogue-like game. There are only 4 guns, but they're interesting to shoot and each one has its own reload mechanics. Its got pixel graphics also done well. I haven't made it past the first tileset, so I don't know how deep it goes.

edit: After looking it up a bit more, it turns out I am playing the demo or free version. The full version seems to have more guns! Not sure I can drop $20 for it, but if the demo keeps me this entertained, it might be worth it.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    What is the expected lifespan of the psvr? Is it something I can hope to use with a ps5 in the future, or am I going to be buying a new device every generation?
    Just like the Vive and Rift, the lifespan of these devices is currently unknown. The headsets themselves are not really all that different from each other. For the PSVR, the real limiting factor is the processing power of the PS4. As a consumer grade product I would expect that it will have a usable lifespan of at least 3 to 5 years, probably a year or so into the PS5 release. That's completely MY opinion and not based on anything "official".

Having said that, there are some really cool products in the VR-space that are coming down the pike in the next 1-2 years. Specifically the Oculus Quest, which looks to be a stand-alone VR set that doesn't need a high-end PC or a console tether, with a list price that puts it in a very competitive price range!

26904.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Assuming Sony doesn't retire PSVR (which is by no means guaranteed, but it's possible--the adoption rates are still much, much lower than Sony hoped for), I would imagine the launch of the Playstation 5 to offer a new opportunity for a major hardware vision in the headset. The PSVR is limited by the console's own abilities going to the break-out box, but the headset itself already has some clear limitations in turn that would keep it from taking advantage of that new power. It's hard to say of the next console will automatically support the existing camera setup either, or move to introduce a new one.

Existing PSVR support isn't guaranteed. it's not impossible either, of course. We just have to wait and see.

• Options
    SteamVR question: How are people with large VR libraries scrolling through the list of games? I see the arrow you're supposed to use, but it's covered by the menu bar and you can't click on it. It seems like a massive quality of life issue to me, but I don't see tons of threads complaining about it so I'm wondering if I'm missing something fundamental. Is it just that everyone browses their libraries and starts their games with the headset off, or do most people not have enough games for this to matter?

Something else I discovered last night: I'd always thought that I should be able to scroll the menu with the Touch's joysticks, but it didn't seem to work. Last night, while pressing every button to try to find one that might scroll the menu, I found that the left Touch's stick works, while the right stick does nothing. So I actually found that kind of major.

• Options
    Set up the vr and had my GF play a little dead and buried. She had a blast and met two cool people to play with. My experience is limited but so far everyone I've met online has been awesome with the rift.

At one point she jumped to the floor, to dodge bullets or a skull by the which, not sure which. I got scared as shit and was worried she passed out or something, was having an adverse reaction to vr. But I immediately hear giggles and she back on her feet shooting at the hordes.

So far I've only spent a few hours with it on a few different days, but I'm really enjoying the experience and other people enjoy g it

• Options
    Also is there any family sharing built into the rift software? My GF was using my character in dead and buried and I'm sure she'd love her own profile

• Options
    There's nothing like that, no. It would be great to have, especially for games like The Climb or Superhot that you'd think would be ideal demo titles but don't have multiple profile save slots. There's a guest feature, but all it does it let you restrict people to the apps you choose.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Individual apps will have things like that; Vanishing Realms has save slots.

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I played some Rush of Blood a few days ago. I haven't been able to play as much PSVR as I thought I would. I think its just because of the relatively high activation barrier, and because it is relatively isolating (my partner can't just like, ask me a question while I am in VR land).

Anyway, I thought Rush of Blood was great as far as it went. It certainly could do a little more than just it's jump scares, but it does a good job of what it's going for. Also, great October game. Thanks for the rec to purchase.

• Options
    Oculus announced a referral program for the Rift -- if you get someone to buy a Rift, they get 10% off (so, $40 right now) and you get $30 in store credit (US only).

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-launches-10-off-referral-program-for-rift/

$40 off for the buyer is nice, but I feel like there are obstacles to evangelizing. If they want to make it easier for us to convince people to buy Rifts, I might try some of the following:

- As noted above, user profiles with separate saves would make it easier to demo games like The Climb or Superhot, instead of just using the owner's profile and writing over their save. Some games support this, but it would be better if it were baked in. Although in the case of Superhot, Steam supports family sharing but the save system is incompatible; I can't believe I was renaming save files in 2017.

- I've complained before about how browsing your game library is a hot mess in both Steam and Oculus. What I'd like to do, when demoing the system to someone for the first time, is to make a giant panel that says, "New Users," and it has one section for intro experiences like the Welcome to Virtual Reality, Oculus Dreamdeck, First Contact, The Lab, etc., another section for movies like Lost, Allumette, The Rose and I, etc., some games like Beat Saber, The Climb and Superhot, some party experiences like Keep Talking, etc., some horror games, and so on. Something that's easy for them to click on and jump into, instead of me telling them what to search for in the menu, or me starting the games for them on the computer.

- I feel like there's a glaring lack of a free game where you press a button and you're a pirate, press again and you're a cook, a wizard, a zombie, a bear, a Wookie, Abraham Lincoln, etc. Maybe this is Rec Room, I don't know. But preferably something not multiplayer, and not super complicated. Like those filters on Instagram or whatever, basically. Look in the mirror, wave at Einstein and make finger guns, try on funny hats, take a screenshot and put it on a virtual wall. If it were up to me I'd bake this into Oculus Home, but they've already got their avatar system going on there.

- The default facial interface isn't very good, especially for a situation where multiple people are going to get it sweaty.

- They might try packing in a group party game. Something like Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes, that lets people play together with the person wearing the headset. Otherwise it can get kind of dull just watching them play. It doesn't have to look amazing; Black Hat Cooperative looks like an EGA game. Even something stupid like a hidden object game or a matching game where you search a house and find trivia questions and answers, and the person with the headset has to put them together. Or something like Spaceteam, if you could get the VR computer to connect to people's cell phones or tablets. Something to keep people involved while someone's looking around in VR.

- Spawned multiplayer games, like Starcraft back in the day, where only one person has to own a copy of the game and their friends can join in. I get that there's already not a lot of money in VR, and this is giving up more sales, but it's getting to the point where there are more VR games than I can play, and if my friend gets a headset it feels kind of wasteful for them to buy a game they already played on my system instead of trying something new.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    - The default facial interface isn't very good, especially for a situation where multiple people are going to get it sweaty.

Thanks to the recommendations in this thread, I got replacement face cushions that are sweat resistant and take to antimicrobial wipes. Two come in a pack, so I can rip one off, velcro on a new one, then let the next person play while I'm wiping down the first cushion.

It's a bummer that it's an extra 30USD on top of a cost barrier already. But it's definitely a big improvement for party environments.

Edit: https://vrcover.com/product/htc-vive-foam-replacement-6mm/

It's thinner than the out-of-the-box padding, so I had to adjust the lenses to sit further away from my face to accommodate glasses. If you don't have glasses, it's neat to have a wider field of view by having it closer to your face.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
    If anyone plays Accounting+ there was an updated that give it 3 times the amount of content (PSVR, Rift, Vive)

PSVR already had extra content added so I'm not sure if "3 times" applies here...

• Options
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    If anyone plays Accounting+ there was an update that give it 3 times the amount of content (PSVR, Rift, Vive)

PSVR already had extra content added so I'm not sure if "3 times" applies here...
    The new trailer they put out is pretty great:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlsWaMkKMtM
    Apparently, the new space level is the space-y-est level that ever spaced. Or something. IDK. :mrgreen:

• Options
    I have to say so far my favorite thing about vr is the community! Every game I enter as a level one complete n00b, and everyone is so helpful. I'm causing our team to lose in echo vr, and instead of getting raged at, people are like it's ok, you're only level 2, it takes time. And they'd help me out in between matches!

Echo vr is amazing btw. The movement feels so fluod,.no sickness at all. Even though I can't turn around if my life depending on ithe lol

• Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    You guys see this?

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/oculus-co-founder-is-leaving-facebook-after-cancellation-of-rift-2-headset/

Brenden Iribe is leaving Occulus after FB "cancelled" the Rift 2 (although FB is saying through other sources that Rift 2 might not be cancelled?). I hope this is not the beginning of FB watering down the VR space in the interest of wider adoption/market share.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    LutExIV wrote: »
    You guys see this?

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/oculus-co-founder-is-leaving-facebook-after-cancellation-of-rift-2-headset/

Brenden Iribe is leaving Occulus after FB "cancelled" the Rift 2 (although FB is saying through other sources that Rift 2 might not be cancelled?). I hope this is not the beginning of FB watering down the VR space in the interest of wider adoption/market share.

I'm afraid that's exactly what it is. What I read seemed to indicate the conflict came from Iribe wanting to design something bleeding-edge amazing, and that Facebook wants something affordable and accessible. Can't do both.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited October 2018
    It makes sense. PSVR (which is arguably the weakest of the "big three" headsets) has sold over 3M units so far. That's more than the Rift and Vive headsets, combined. Assuming similar margins, more sales means more profitability, which is more-or-less the driving force behind businesses. And Sony is boasting an attach rate of about 5, which means that they are making even more money on secondary sales. (Admittedly, it's still lower than the pie-in-the-sky estimates they were hoping for, but whatevs. It's a better attach rate than Oculus or HTC are reporting.)

"Consumer Grade" is probably much more profitable in this market than "Enthusiast Quality". Having said that, there is a quality floor than MUST be met. I mean if it were all about low-quality-high-value headsets, then the Samsung Gear would be completely dominating this market.

Personally, I'm really looking hard at the Oculus Quest as my next headset.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Stupid wrote: »
    It makes sense. PSVR (which is arguably the weakest of the "big three" headsets) has sold over 3M units so far. That's more than the Rift and Vive headsets, combined. Assuming similar margins, more sales means more profitability, which is more-or-less the driving force behind businesses. And Sony is boasting an attach rate of about 5, which means that they are making even more money on secondary sales. (Admittedly, it's still lower than the pie-in-the-sky estimates they were hoping for, but whatevs. It's a better attach rate than Oculus or HTC are reporting.)

"Consumer Grade" is probably much more profitable in this market than "Enthusiast Quality". Having said that, there is a quality floor than MUST be met. I mean if it were all about low-quality-high-value headsets, then the Samsung Gear would be completely dominating this market.

Personally, I'm really looking hard at the Oculus Quest as my next headset.

Yeah, you know, if that's what it takes to keep the industry afloat, I'll take it. If lower-quality HMDs can expand and capture enough market share to keep the technology alive, we'll eventually see improvements in quality. It'll just be a longer wait.

• Options
    As a PSVR owner, I'm also looking at the Oculus Quest being my next VR device.

(to hold me over until PSVR2 and PS5 come out)

• Options
    edited October 2018
    The Samsung Odyssey has dropped to $350. I think I've read that the inside-out tracking has issues with bow-and-arrow games in particular, and there are kind of a lot of those, but that's a very good price.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/samsung-hmd-odyssey-windows-mixed-reality-headset-with-motion-controllers/8w91r774pdkk

EDIT: It should be noted that this comes on the heels of Samsung's announcement of the Odyssey+, a refresh of the headset with improved lenses or something for a better image, which will retail for $500, the original price of the Odyssey.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I'm also looking at the Quest as my next device. If you could stream wirelessly to it from PC then it would be ABSOLUTELY perfect, but as it is I'm happy with just a standalone. Seemingly you can work around this with ALVR and Steam VR games and the Oculus Go but a native solution would be brilliant.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    The Quest is sort of the opposite of what I'm looking for at this point, so I'm gonna be pretty bummed if that's the way the market heads.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    I'm still in the WindowsMR camp. If I was looking for a new HMD now I'd probably be going for the now-cheaper Odyssey or spring for the new version if it's as good as they say.

The tracking really has ceased to be an issue 99.9% of the time; most of the troubleshooting I've seen has been over poor bluetooth connections to the remotes, which makes them drop out. The new Odyssey has a BT adapter in the headset, which is a very smart idea! Surprised no one else did that first.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    the current Rift is about as technologically advanced as you can make a PC-based headset if you don't want to restrict yourself to the upper echelon of GPUs.

The Rift is now two and a half years old. When it first came out, the minimum spec was actually relatively onerous in terms of affordability. Now, of course, even the entry level GPUs of current chipsets can handle it. We're only just now getting to the point where you can safely say the majority of gaming PCs can run a Rift.

However, if you make an upgraded one, all you're doing is retargeting the same limited audience that the original Rift targeted, and is that really worthwhile?

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'm also in the set of users that is more interested in an enthusiast grade product rather than a budget grade one. Stand alone devices hold no attraction to me since I already have a 1080 ti that I want to crunch pixels with.

Right now I'm trying to decide what to buy. I had told myself that I was waiting for 2nd gen headsets and had been quietly earmarking money for a headset. I was excited when news finally got to me about the Vive Pro, but I was a bit disappointed to hear reports that it's more of a gen 1.5 headset and that it's arguably not worth its price tag despite also arguably being the best on the market. I'm not particularly interested in the Rift, especially if Occulus is moving towards cheaper grade stand alone devices. Some of the windows mixed reality headsets sound intriguing, especially the Odyssey, but I know that the inside out tracking would eventually aggravate me.

I'm honestly tempted to just get the vive pro anyway. I don't particularly want to wait 2-3 or more years for a headset.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    I tried a Vive Pro a few weeks ago, and if somebody offered me one for free in exchange for my Rift I would probably turn them down. I think the Rift is still the best product on the market.

Some other headsets have slightly better visuals, Sony has some pretty cool exclusive games, and Lighthouse tracking is easier to set up with only needing power for the tracking sensors instead of USB connections.

But I don't think any of the other systems available come close to the overall package of superb controllers, reasonably healthy software ecosystem, and headset hardware. Any nascent technology ecosystem tends to have major compromises being made by any given product within the space, and I feel the Rift makes the least and smallest compromises of any other platform.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    However, if you make an upgraded one, all you're doing is retargeting the same limited audience that the original Rift targeted, and is that really worthwhile?
    I mean, yes? Demonstrably yes. The constant march of various PC bits (chiefly CPU, mobo, ram, video card) alone make the argument. Like you put out a X.5 release every year, and get most consumers every other cycle. Then you have consoles, which drop every ~4 years... though that line has been blurred with the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

Like, I feel like we're still in the Voodoo2 era of VR... though I don't have sales data on either to make sure that comparison is apt.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    I mean, yes? Demonstrably yes. The constant march of various PC bits (chiefly CPU, mobo, ram, video card) alone make the argument. Like you put out a X.5 release every year, and get most consumers every other cycle. Then you have consoles, which drop every ~4 years... though that line has been blurred with the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro.

Like, I feel like we're still in the Voodoo2 era of VR... though I don't have sales data on either to make sure that comparison is apt.

Absolutely not demonstrably yes. There's no way Oculus is even close to breaking even, even with two and a half years of Rift sales.

This discussion has been closed.