As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Tea For God is amazing on the Quest. I just walked for about twenty minutes in my 2m x 2m playspace and felt like I was exploring a massive alien/robot structure. It's bizarre and surreal and just fantastic.

A few bugs at the mo with it being alpha but genuinely a brilliant experience and pairs perfectly with the wire free Quest.

THis demos it nicely, but it works in a much much smaller space (mine is 2m x 2m and there are people running it well below that. If you get too small there's lots of turning in circles!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFMaCd6lBM

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Update on my wireless saga.
    I happened to notice tonight while looking at the stuff I'm testing that my CPU temps are at 100C, and it's getting downclocked pretty hardcore just to keep temps down. That's no bueno!
    Gonna try reapply thermal paste on my cpu/cooler to see if that alleviates the issue. That's almost certainly what's causing my issues with the wireless, since the wireless has a pretty big pull on the CPU.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Steam VR itself would also be pretty heavily downscaling your resolution if the CPU is working in reduced power

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Also worth checking that you have the most recent version of Windows, since they made some big VR optimizations in the most recent KB.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Steam VR itself would also be pretty heavily downscaling your resolution if the CPU is working in reduced power
    Yeah. Using the wireless adapter actually hits the cpu much harder than a wired connection. I believe it uses the CPU to encode the stream. That would explain why the wired connection looks/performs much better. My CPU was clocking at 40-60% normal clock speeds to keep the temps in check.
    Apogee wrote: »
    Also worth checking that you have the most recent version of Windows, since they made some big VR optimizations in the most recent KB.

I do. I specifically installed 1903 last week for XBOX game pass.

My next steps for are replacing thermal paste>cooler>processor(+motherboard). Hopefully for my wallet I don't have to go far down that list.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    How/why would VR optimisations be baked into Windows?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    How/why would VR optimisations be baked into Windows?

There are a couple of reasons. I'm spitballing mind you, but here we go.

The first could be that VR hits API calls a ton that aren't used very often by other programs. These may be neglected API calls that haven't received much optimization. The lack of optimization didn't matter much when they weren't called as often, but VR's heavy reliance on that brings their inefficiency into stark contrast.

The second could be that Valve and Oculus have been leaning on Windows to please implement a feature set that needs to be implemented OS side. Maybe it's a straight up new feature. Maybe it's opening up direct access to functionality. Maybe it's streamlining how functionality needed be accessed so it's faster.

The third could be ancillary work on AR that Microsoft is always teasing also applies to VR.

• Options
    The latest update specifically calls out improvements to Windows Mixed Reality via SteamVR. There's a good chance it helped other headsets as well if they use shared APIs.

General OS performance could be a consideration as well, since it would free up more cycles for VR functionality.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    GORN has achieved 1.0. Knuckles are now supported, but the patch notes say they did not add finger tracking. Hopefully that is a planned addition they didn't have time to get implemented for release.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    My Valve Index just shipped. Upgrading from a Rift CV1. My Rift has served me super well for years with my use case (mostly cockpit stuff, race and flight sims). Excited to get a nice resolution, FoV and refresh rate bump.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Let us know how it is for racing!

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Ya, I'm hoping the resolution bump gets it into a more usable place for cockpit and driving games. They're an ideal use case in many ways, but then on my Rift, other planes and cars are just indistinct, fuzzy blobs, and it has a pretty big impact on playability. Do those things resolve clearly now, it are they just fuzzy blobs at a slightly longer distance?

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I couldn't race without VR, even current VR. It adds so much to depth perception and race craft. My confidence to drive wheel to wheel with other drivers is much more consistent in VR. I can't really get behind the idea that current VR isn't enough for racing, since I've been a pretty hardcore sim racing guy with my CV1 for a couple years now.

Flight sims is a tougher sell because it can be tough to read text and see other planes at a distance. That said, formation flying in VR is next level stuff. Makes flying paint on another plane significantly easier.

From a racing context my hope is that the Index is just better...better resolution, better FoV, better refresh. It ticks all the boxes on paper, but until I get it and try it in one of my race sims I can't say how much better.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Wohoo! My Index was ready to order so I did that. My question now is I know I need to mount the lighthouses in a room to use it, but I'm going to be moving in two to three months. I would like to play with it, is it worth the trouble to mount them in a room before I move, or should I just wait so I'm only doing it once?

I don't really have an ideal open room for room scale VR in my current apartment sadly, but would like to give it a try!

Side Question: I'm going to get Beat Saber, but what are some of the other top room scale VR games I should try? I've played a number of games on the PS VR.

Bonepart on
    XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Bonepart wrote: »
    Wohoo! My Index was ready to order so I did that. My question now is I know I need to mount the lighthouses in a room to use it, but I'm going to be moving in two to three months. I would like to play with it, is it worth the trouble to mount them in a room before I move, or should I just wait so I'm only doing it once?

I don't really have an ideal open room for room scale VR in my current apartment sadly, but would like to give it a try!

Side Question: I'm going to get Beat Saber, but what are some of the other top room scale VR games I should try? I've played a number of games on the PS VR.

If you have tall book cases, I highly, highly recommend using photography lighting mounts with clamps.

Light stands - like what Neewer sells - will technically work, but I've never been 100% satisfied with them.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So, being the crazy person I am, I think I've decided to try to port the original Elite over to the Oculus Quest?

I found the source code of the complete game someone ported from the original BBC Micro version over to C with one of the original creators blessings. Then the other original creator didn't appreciate it too much and it went away. But the internet never forgets.

I think the path forward is using a C compiler for ARM, using the Oculus Native api for Gear VR/Oculus Go/Oculus Quest, and replacing all the calls it makes to some game library called Allegro4 with native Android calls and OpenGL ES.

It's an insane idea, and my C is super rusty, and the UI is going to require a lot of retooling. But fuck it, why not. I need a challenge these days. Spent the last 5 years in a C# pit at work.

• Options

You might have to specify which games you've played on PSVR, since most of the good games, including the usual recommendations like SUPERHOT VR or Space Pirate Trainer, have been ported over. You'll want to try out The Lab and Google Earth VR. Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades is a good buy if you're interested in guns. GORN is popular, although I think not a great choice if you don't have a large amount of room. Beyond those, I think it might be best to know what you've already played, and what kind of games you're interested in.

• Options
    So my wireless issue saga is over, for now. Looks like my cooler wasn't really doing anything.
    I pulled it off in an attempt to reapply thermal paste, but I saw some green on the edge of the copper plate, so I decided to pull out the entire thing to be safe. Green on copper means moisture, and it was coming from inside the unit. Must have been a very slow leak, or possibly only when it got hot (there was green all around the outside of the rubber gasket on the underside of the copper), so eventually there wasn't enough coolant to cut it.

I threw on a stock Intel cooler that a friend had, and my temps instantly dropped about 40% and held there under load. I did a basic test with the wireless, and it looked nearly flawless! Just need to make a couple adjustments and I'll be good.

• Options
    For funsies, here's the sim racing rig where I'll be using my Index most of the time;
    yqOwGoG.jpg?1

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Oh fuck! VR has finally truly arrived!

We have smell-o-vision!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    They did it. They found a way to make sewer levels even worse.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    And you can look like one of the tackier Star Wars villains while using it! "Arise, Darth Stench!"

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

You might have to specify which games you've played on PSVR, since most of the good games, including the usual recommendations like SUPERHOT VR or Space Pirate Trainer, have been ported over. You'll want to try out The Lab and Google Earth VR. Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades is a good buy if you're interested in guns. GORN is popular, although I think not a great choice if you don't have a large amount of room. Beyond those, I think it might be best to know what you've already played, and what kind of games you're interested in.

The big reason I'm going to an Index now is I plan on dedicating a room for it when I move, so space will no longer be an issue. It has been in the past, and I never felt I had a really good area for the PSVR even.

I haven't played either Superhot VR or Space Pirate Trainer, I'll look into those and some of the others you mentioned!

Are there any VR games that are heavily story focused? I tend to favor RPGs and story heavy games and if there are VR games that lean in that direction I would go for them first. Outside of that I'm looking forward to Beat Saber having played DDR and Rockband in the past. I'm also a fan of cockpit type games, and enjoyed Battlezone on PSVR.

I enjoyed Star Trek Bridge Crew, just lacked friends to play with. My friends and family have enjoyed the PSVR when I showed it to them, but no one else has invested in it

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Orogogus wrote: »

The big reason I'm going to an Index now is I plan on dedicating a room for it when I move, so space will no longer be an issue. It has been in the past, and I never felt I had a really good area for the PSVR even.

I haven't played either Superhot VR or Space Pirate Trainer, I'll look into those and some of the others you mentioned!

Are there any VR games that are heavily story focused? I tend to favor RPGs and story heavy games and if there are VR games that lean in that direction I would go for them first. Outside of that I'm looking forward to Beat Saber having played DDR and Rockband in the past. I'm also a fan of cockpit type games, and enjoyed Battlezone on PSVR.

I enjoyed Star Trek Bridge Crew, just lacked friends to play with. My friends and family have enjoyed the PSVR when I showed it to them, but no one else has invested in it

There aren't a ton of VR RPGs right now. Skyrim and Fallout 4 were ported to VR, and apparently have a certain amount of early VR port jank. OrbusVR is a VR MMORPG and you can play up to level 10 for free, so you could try that. If you get Revive working, you should be able to run games from the Oculus Store (I have a Rift, so I have no idea how Revive works). From the Oculus Store, Chronos is a reasonable RPGish game. Maybe the Mage's Tale.

Story-focused VR games right now are going to be mostly adventure games. Moss, Obduction, The Gallery: Call of the Starseed and Heart of the Emberstone, The Talos Principle, The Exorcist, Dead Secret, Red Matter, A Fisherman's Tale. From the Oculus Store, Lone Echo.

Some others for consideration:
    - Flight sims: Elite Dangerous, Ultrawings, War Thunder, VTOL VR
    - Multiplayer milsim: Onward, Pavlov
    - Racing/driving: Redout, Project Cars 1/2, Assetto Corsa, American/Euro Truck Simulator
    - Bow and arrow: In Death, QuiVr
    - Other: Tilt Brush (art), Titans of Space (space), Vox Machinae (multiplayer mechs), Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes (party game), Eagle Flight (eagle game). From the Oculus Store: The Climb (climbing game), Arktika.1 (shooting game, IMO the best singleplayer VR FPS I've played so far).

EDIT:
    Maybe also the following:
    - Boxing: Creed, The Thrill of the Fight
    - Plank game: Richie's Plank Experience, Plank Not Included
    - Sword game: Blade and Sorcery, Gladius, Tales of Glory, Fruit Ninja VR, Katana X

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Skyrim VR has some jank, but some of that can be tweaked and little of it is bad. It's still Skyrim, but for me it makes a huge difference if I'm in the world myself as opposed to looking at it on a screen. IMO it works really well, all in all, especially with some moderate modding.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Skyrim VR has some jank, but some of that can be tweaked and little of it is bad. It's still Skyrim, but for me it makes a huge difference if I'm in the world myself as opposed to looking at it on a screen. IMO it works really well, all in all, especially with some moderate modding.

Any particular VR-related mods you have in mind? I just got it from the Humble store.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    There are some lists to get you started, and the usual mods still tend to apply. Here are some of the ones that I'd consider especially nice in VR:

Skyrim is Windy
    Blowing in the Wind
    Yet Another Custom Favorites Menu
    Point the Way
    Simply Bigger Trees
    VRIK Invertse Kinematics (requires the Script Extender)
    To Your Face SE and VR
    Lockpicking Interface Redone
    Inigo
    Vilja (she took some getting used to, but I'm greatly enjoying travelling with two fun companions, where I always travelled solo in regular Skyrim)
    Dragonborn Speaks Naturally

Natural Locomotion isn't a mod but a program that lets you walk in games by walking in place. IMO it's fantastic for Skyrim; in fact, I wouldn't want to play it any differently at this point.

You'll find more info here:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nvhqSMb6DfE434COZzFTVJ71E12qluKfGtOtdwrsRU0/edit
    https://uploadvr.com/must-skyrim-vr-pc-mods-make-tamriel-even-better/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimvr/comments/89d3je/ini_tweak_megathread/

Edit: Here's my complete mod list, exported from Mod Organizer:
    #Mod_Priority,#Mod_Name
    "0047","A Quality World Map and Solstheim Map - With Roads"
    "0058","Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim"
    "0071","Archery"
    "0079","AutoLoot 1.33"
    "0081","Better Dynamic Snow"
    "0030","Birds of Skyrim SSE Edition"
    "0059","Blowing in the Wind"
    "0033","Book Covers Skyrim SE - Original.7z"
    "0039","Carriage and Ferry Travel Overhaul"
    "0040","CFTO - Covered Carriages add-on"
    "0041","CFTO - Lanterns add-on"
    "0055","Combat Evolved"
    "0053","Deadly Combat"
    "0042","Disable Map-based Fast Travel"
    "0034","Diverse Dragons Collection SE"
    "0068","DIVERSE SKYRIM SSE"
    "0002","DLC: Dawnguard"
    "0001","DLC: Dragonborn"
    "0000","DLC: HearthFires"
    "0069","EasierRider's Dungeon Pack"
    "0026","Enhanced Blood Textures"
    "0063","Even Better Quest Objectives"
    "0067","Footprints"
    "0070","Forgotten Dungeons (SSE)"
    "0066","Get Snowy"
    "0062","Guard Dialogue Overhaul SE"
    "0023","HD Road Signs 2K Version"
    "0056","Helgen Reborn"
    "0045","INIGO"
    "0044","Landscape Fixes For Grass Mods"
    "0029","Lanterns of Skyrim SE"
    "0082","Lockpicking Interface Redone"
    "0054","Modern Brawl Bug Fix"
    "0052","Mortal Enemies SE"
    "0076","Noble Skyrim Mod HD-2K"
    "0012","Obsidian Mountain Fogs 1.01.zip"
    "0049","Point The Way"
    "0072","Real Bows (by DecimusMaximus for SSE)"
    "0080","Real Snow HD 2k"
    "0036","Realistic Lighting Overhaul (RLO) SSE All-In-One Installer"
    "0011","Realistic Ragdolls and Force"
    "0009","Realistic Water Two"
    "0008","Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul"
    "0060","Simply Bigger Trees SE - (formerly SkySight SBT)"
    "0007","Skyrim Flora Overhaul SE v2.72a"
    "0006","Skyrim Is Windy"
    "0077","Skyrim Realistic Overhaul"
    "0073","SkyUI"
    "0010","Sounds of Skyrim Complete SE"
    "0005","Static Mesh Improvement Mod"
    "0064","Stones of Barenziah Quest Markers"
    "0057","The Forgotten City"
    "0075","To Your Face SE and VR"
    "0048","Training Dummies and Targets Special Edition"
    "0061","Ultimate HD Fire Effects SSE"
    "0003","Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch"
    "0050","Upgrade Your Potion"
    "0043","Verdant - A Skyrim Grass Plugin"
    "0046","Vilja in Skyrim"
    "0004","Vivid Weathers - Definitive Edition"
    "0074","VRIK Inverse Kinematics"
    "0051","Weightless Overhaul"
    "0027","WICO - Windsong Immersive Chracter Overhaul"
    "0065","Wonders of Weather"
    "0038","Yet Another Custom Favorites Menu 1.2"

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    So Fallout 4 and Skyrim VR are both on sale by a good amount today. Are either worth buying? I've played both non-VR versions. Loved Skyrim, wasn't impressed with fallout.

Edit: I suppose I could have just scrolled up and seen what you all were talking about...

Dissociater on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I got about 80 hours into the original Skyrim, but never finished it, and bought Fo4 at launch, but never played it. Now I have the VR versions of both and intend to play them both in VR at some point.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I'm in the same situation. I didn't feel the drive to get through Skyrim, but a full game in VR is so tempting!

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    The best part is shooting spells out of hands. Fire one way and lightening the other.

Put a dark robe on and it’s pretty much a palpatine simulator.

• Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    Finally got a hold of the 1.39 firmware for my Rift S and the improvement in tracking is insanely better. I'm able to move my hands right in front of the headset with no noticeable glitching, same with games that have archery and I move my hand right next to and behind the headset. The combat in Gorn and Blade and Sorcery seems to play much smoother as well.

• Options
    Similar updates should also be with Quest owners shortly :smile:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-touch-accuracy-improvement-venues/

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited July 2019
    Oooh, that just prompted me to check my version number and it seems I'm still on 1.38! Jumped on the "beta channel" and I'm downloading 1.39. Excited to see the changes!

Edit: Excitement thoroughly curbed, for some reason the update is refusing to download, despite being queued... Tres strange.

Campy on
  • Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Hello, I'm getting a VR next week, though I still haven't made up my mind as to what VR to get. I want to be relatively future proof.

My heart was set on a Vive, as it was the best at the time, with room scale and all that. It seemed like the gold standard of VR. But... the recent releases by Valve and Occulus have changed that a little.

The new Occulus is probably still a no, the price is nice but its still only almost a Vive. Am I going to use room scale? I did when I borrowed a friend's Vive for the week.

The Valve headset is intriguing but I haven't found much about how well it works and how it compares to Vive (aside from the usual techblog "this is the second coming of Christ our Lord AMEN" posts).

I like Vive Pro but they don't make it easy to get as a first VR headset do they? If there was a Vive Pro package I'd think about that, even with the price. But it seems like I need to have a Vive to start with?

Currently my plan is to get the Vive, and I can always upgrade to a Pro later. Then I'll have two headsets, for... reasons? Or I can sell it. I dunno, but a basic Vive, while no longer the best, seems like the Goldilocks of VR and a good first choice. Not too expensive, not too cheap, has room scale, better tracking etc.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Hello, I'm getting a VR next week, though I still haven't made up my mind as to what VR to get. I want to be relatively future proof.

My heart was set on a Vive, as it was the best at the time, with room scale and all that. It seemed like the gold standard of VR. But... the recent releases by Valve and Occulus have changed that a little.

The new Occulus is probably still a no, the price is nice but its still only almost a Vive. Am I going to use room scale? I did when I borrowed a friend's Vive for the week.

The Valve headset is intriguing but I haven't found much about how well it works and how it compares to Vive (aside from the usual techblog "this is the second coming of Christ our Lord AMEN" posts).

I like Vive Pro but they don't make it easy to get as a first VR headset do they? If there was a Vive Pro package I'd think about that, even with the price. But it seems like I need to have a Vive to start with?

Currently my plan is to get the Vive, and I can always upgrade to a Pro later. Then I'll have two headsets, for... reasons? Or I can sell it. I dunno, but a basic Vive, while no longer the best, seems like the Goldilocks of VR and a good first choice. Not too expensive, not too cheap, has room scale, better tracking etc.
    Depends on price point and if you care about wireless.

The best VR on the market right now is the Index, but it's $1000 US for headset, controllers, and base stations, and it's sold out (you can get on the reservation list though).

The best VR for $400 is the Rift S.

The best (officially supported) wireless VR headset is $1458 for the Vive Pro Starter Kit + Wireless Adapter + Pro Adapter Kit. That's 50% more than the Index, and I wouldn't do this unless you have money to burn and can't wait for the Index.

The best (officially supported) wireless VR headset under $1000 is the Vive + Wireless Adapter, but it's still $800. I have this setup (plus the Deluxe Audio Strap). I love it, but I also plan on upgrading to the Index.

The best wireless VR headset for under $400 is the Quest.

TLDR if you're coming in fresh:

* If money is no object and you don't mind waiting, get the Index.
    * If you don't mind being tethered and don't want to spend $1000, get the Rift S.
    * If you must be wireless, get the Quest.

I can't really recommend the Vive at this point in the VR lifecycle. Wireless Vive is close enough to Index money that I'd just shell out the extra $200 at that point and deal with being tethered, and if I wasn't going wireless the display in the Rift S is like 40% better than the Vive's.

• Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular

I still heartily reccomend the WMR headsets, primarily since the tracking is almost as good and they're a heck of a lot cheaper. The Samsung Odyssey+ is on sale all the time these days, and you can often grab a Lenovo/HP/Dell headset/controllers for $200 USD or less. 1440x1440 per eye is also already better than most other sets available.

That said, if you need the best tracking the Vive is the way to go for sure - if you're more a casual user of room-scale or primarily use sit-down VR (simming) then WMR better IMO.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I couldn't race without VR, even current VR. It adds so much to depth perception and race craft. My confidence to drive wheel to wheel with other drivers is much more consistent in VR. I can't really get behind the idea that current VR isn't enough for racing, since I've been a pretty hardcore sim racing guy with my CV1 for a couple years now.

Flight sims is a tougher sell because it can be tough to read text and see other planes at a distance. That said, formation flying in VR is next level stuff. Makes flying paint on another plane significantly easier.

From a racing context my hope is that the Index is just better...better resolution, better FoV, better refresh. It ticks all the boxes on paper, but until I get it and try it in one of my race sims I can't say how much better.

Between Project Cars (less of Project Cars 2 personally) and Dirt Rally--I agree, somewhat. In the end of the day, I'll stick with non-VR driving, both out of a preference for games that don't have VR support, and also because I'm firmly ingrained into the "amateur" end of the spectrum. Were that not the case, my opinion could be entirely different. It's the same reason I sometimes prefer a gasp gamepad over a proper FF-equipped wheel, even though I entertain zero notions about which one is superior in any racing that that is, well, actually a driving game and doesn't have a binary throttle. There's probably some consideration for people with motion-sickness, but I'm lucky that I don't feel like I was ever affected by that beyond my first time trying it out. And of course, Gabe and Tycho think that people who use in-vehicle views in driving games should be committed to mental health wards, so there's that (I have literally never tried an outside-vehicle view in VR in any of those games--honestly, the games might not even let you, for all I know.) And it's not for the faint of heart, but I suppose that's not a bad metaphor for VR.

More importantly, in driving (so far) you are not constrained by the very many serious handicaps that basically keep high-level competitive flight sims out of VR, or for that matter "ultra" realistic flight mechanical flight simulation that DCS has set the general standard for. I've said it before, and it's still true: VR flight sims are, when done properly, amazing and honestly "next level", which I don't often say when applied to VR revisions of fundamentally unaltered gameplay models. But you pay for it. VR is not the new HOTAS. It's not even the new TrackIR, which isn't half as immersive but also has zero of the constraints of VR (and only a few of the mechanical problems). It might be one day though. Formation flying is probably different, that's really an area outside my area of expertise (though none of the people I know who actually engage in that use VR either, probably because it's more an aspect of their overall habits?).

I still think flight simulations are one of the best arguments to purchase home VR, and would recommend everyone try it at least once. It's just there has yet to be a game where the player capabilities aren't seriously superior outside of VR. At the "serious" end, I'd say using a VR headset--even a higher-resolution one--is basically like using a gamepad and a keyboard, compared to a competent monitor setup being like a HOTAS.

Being a hilariously easy target is still amazing though, especially the first time. If you don't play flight simulations in multiplayer at all, you don't even need to worry about that.

Though I did finally try out Ace Combat 7's VR "sidestory" and was actually pretty let down in this area, I suppose that might just be the limitations of PSVR combined with Project Aces not really playing to its strengths. A lot of people have responded well to it though. Personally, I think jumping into an FW-190 in War Thunder in VR for the first time was a mindblowing experience, and I was barely shooting anything (making it...pretty representative of the experience!).

• Options

The Rift S is, in my opinion, a far better buy than the vive. You seem to be under the impression it's not geared up for room scale? It very much is. Also better screen, better controllers (arguably), no external sensors, easy set up. Tracking following updates is top notch.

And with the Rift S being so reasonably priced and well supported I think it rules out most WMR headsets.

That said, if money isn't an object, go for the Index.

As others have said, the vive just isn't a good purchase now (not to disparage vive owners, it's still a great piece of kit)

This discussion has been closed.