As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Just finished Accounting+ again yesterday. If you're a fan of Justin Roiland's comedy I highly recommend it!

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I did it. Snagged a Rift S yesterday, set it up, and despite an extremely cramped play area (due to having a giant board game set up in the entire dining area and like 1/2 the living room space), was able to get a good hour of beat saber in. It's exactly what I wanted, and so much fun.

Tried setting up a program for custom songs, and it seemed to kill the sound entirely. Deleted that program and sound came back, so it'll be something to fiddle with over the weekend.

And while I am definitely out of shape, boy am I feeling it. I can already see keeping at this for a while will be good for me. Really built up a sweat by the time I was done some tracks.

I loved Audiosurf back in the day, so an active version of that is basically just the best thing for me. The Steam package I bought had a good dozen extra songs added or something like that, but once I can start loading custom tracks in I'm sure this is going to be great.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    Welcome to the 'I thought I was in better shape than that' club, @Forar!

I'm enjoying my Odyssey+, although it certainly isn't a big resolution bump over the Explorer. Colours are great, and integrated headphones are very handy.

That said, I still really wanted to upgrade to the Reverb, and its still on sale everywhere except Canada. It's cheaper to buy it in the US or UK and have it shipped here by airmail by over $100 CAD. I feel the need to punch someone at HP corporate since they apparently forgot their flagship VR product exists.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Just finished Accounting+ again yesterday. If you're a fan of Justin Roiland's comedy I highly recommend it!

Even the secret zoo level?!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Suds wrote: »

There's a secret level??

• Options
    Suds wrote: »

There's a secret level??

There’s a number of secret levels. Did you meet the conspiracy clown? Or get behind that door in the King of VR’s heart?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    What the hell have I been doing with my life?

• Options
    There’s more than I mentioned but I don’t want to give too much away.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    What the hell have I been doing with my life?

Not finding the goddamned secret levels, that's for sure

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I am kinda on the fence about getting the Rift S. Maybe I should just play my PSVR.

I did see Accounting+ on sale for it.

• Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    I am kinda on the fence about getting the Rift S. Maybe I should just play my PSVR.

I did see Accounting+ on sale for it.

I have a Quest. I have a rockin PC but no physical space next to it for VR. I can stream PCVR games over Wifi though

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Apogee wrote: »

I'm enjoying my Odyssey+, although it certainly isn't a big resolution bump over the Explorer. Colours are great, and integrated headphones are very handy.

That said, I still really wanted to upgrade to the Reverb, and its still on sale everywhere except Canada. It's cheaper to buy it in the US or UK and have it shipped here by airmail by over $100 CAD. I feel the need to punch someone at HP corporate since they apparently forgot their flagship VR product exists.

HP just hates Canada. They have crazy laptop deals that never make it to their store over here, and they straight up refuse to ship across the border. My theory is that the CEO got heartbroken by a Canadian girl when he was young.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Isthereanydeal.com guided me to Townsmen VR for $1.50 on Savemi

• Options
    Holy shit Skyrim VR is really good! I went through the new character area and even though I've done it a million times it felt brand new.

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I played some Pistol Whip last night.
    That game doesn't mess around, even on easy (which was actually nice for a rhythmish game to not be boring on easy).
    It was fun and felt pretty cool, though I had some minor tracking issues loading into the menu. Hope they expand on it too, but I can tell it's going to take time to get good at it.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Holy shit Skyrim VR is really good! I went through the new character area and even though I've done it a million times it felt brand new.

the interface is a bit clunky but it is a totally fair statement to say that Skyrim VR is like someone made a full VR game. The game works remarkably well.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Obligatory plug for Natural Locomotion. It's possible the tool is no longer being developed further, but it works very well for Skyrim VR as is.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »

the interface is a bit clunky but it is a totally fair statement to say that Skyrim VR is like someone made a full VR game. The game works remarkably well.

I loved getting to Bleak Falls Barrow for the first time in VR after playing through dozens of times on other platforms. The villagers talk about how it casts a shadow on the town; you look up, and it really does just loom there and you have that sense of scale that is only possible in VR.

Unfortunately I had a hell of a time getting/keeping mods working so I eventually shelved it.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The sole downside of Skyrim VR is that they managed to even MORE heavily incentivise me to play sneaky archer man, because getting up close is terrifying.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Ha, I didn't have the same problem with The Forest VR because you could spam swing hits into them. Unfortunately for the mutants I didn't quite figure out how to block in VR so they'll absolutely wreck you due to their huge health pools.

Too bad since I could have gotten swole cutting down imaginary trees.

• Options
    Thirith wrote: »
    Obligatory plug for Natural Locomotion. It's possible the tool is no longer being developed further, but it works very well for Skyrim VR as is.

I just bought this. Very curious to see how it works!

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »

It looks like it's still alive! I decided to wander through their forum after seeing this and the dev posted a few days ago saying they're still working on it and we should have updates soon.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's pretty cool! I don't walk in a straight line in real life and I definitely don't walk in a straight line with this installed, but it's a good way to be active while playing Skyrim haha.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    There are also some posts and threads out there (on Reddit especially, if memory serves) about modding and ini tweaks. They're definitely worth checking out, especially for the VR-specific tweaks. It's been at least half a year since I played Skyrim VR (other things got in the way), but I greatly enjoyed the game after a bunch of mods and I'm planning to return to it.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Man was anyone else really disappointed with the Black Friday offerings on games from Oculus? I wanted to get some of the top Rift games and maybe some Quest games. I was hoping for some good deals for my quest, but they only had those lame bundles with only one or two games per bundle that I actually wanted. And now that the Quest Link is a thing I was hoping on getting some of the really good Rift exclusive games to play, but they were doing those dumb bundles for Rift games too. At least I got some good VR games on Steam for my Index.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Atheraal wrote: »
    Apogee wrote: »

HP just hates Canada. They have crazy laptop deals that never make it to their store over here, and they straight up refuse to ship across the border. My theory is that the CEO got heartbroken by a Canadian girl when he was young.

Hey, it finally went on sale for Cyber Monday... for $94 dollars off, down to $749. Woo.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I managed to get custom songs working, but have discovered that while a ton of new songs are available, a lot of them are 'expert only' versions, or have Normal/Hard/Expert, but I manage to fail the Normal in like the first 20 seconds.

Yeah yeah, free content generated by randoms across the internet, I'm just saying, some of these people have a very advanced definition of 'normal' difficulty. Eventually I'll get up there, and I know new stuff is being added every day. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Snagged a couple of giant playlists, but few of those really stuck the landing. And the big 'new players' one is like 40% anime tracks by volume.

Definitely going to need to google custom song suggestions, but if any beat saber players here have favourite tracks I should keep an eye out for (as both good music and/or fun to swing sabers to), I'm open to suggestions.

Wait, do we have a beat saber thread I should be harassing?

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    We do, but it hasn't been active in a very long time.

• Options
    I should really launch BeatSaber again. I had a lot of fun with it on the PS4.

• Options
    Forar wrote: »
    I managed to get custom songs working, but have discovered that while a ton of new songs are available, a lot of them are 'expert only' versions, or have Normal/Hard/Expert, but I manage to fail the Normal in like the first 20 seconds.

Yeah yeah, free content generated by randoms across the internet, I'm just saying, some of these people have a very advanced definition of 'normal' difficulty. Eventually I'll get up there, and I know new stuff is being added every day. Not a complaint, just an observation.

Snagged a couple of giant playlists, but few of those really stuck the landing. And the big 'new players' one is like 40% anime tracks by volume.

Definitely going to need to google custom song suggestions, but if any beat saber players here have favourite tracks I should keep an eye out for (as both good music and/or fun to swing sabers to), I'm open to suggestions.

I had the same experience with the newbie playlist - it's really just the Weeb playlist.

My personal favourites have been the 'Songs with Fantastic Flow' playlists, they're all pretty stellar and have a lot of variety and some easy/normal songs. Believe me, after an hour or two you will be thankful for all the hard/expert tracks.

Oh, and the 'BeatSaber goes 90s' is a short but pretty fun playlist.

8R7BtLw.png
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

The best tracks are also pretty hard if you haven't mastered normal difficulty yet. Then there's the issue of bad tracks being hard because it's just a spew of cubes, whereas good tracks are hard but have a groove that naturally guides you through the level.

Check out tracks by BennyDaBeast and see if it's any easier to get acclimated to those.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I'd second that BennyDaBeast recommendation. Start with his early stuff, imo, and work your way up. I think he started with an emphasis on flow and gradually worked into some of the more crazier stuff the community grew into.

• Options
    I ordered a Rift S on the weekend. Have to wait for it to come in at the store.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I have both a Rift S and a Quest.

I brought my Quest over to my uncle's house on Thanksgiving and it was a monumental hit with everyone, most of whom have not tried VR before.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    My family tried out my Index over Thanksgiving. My mother liked it, but my sister and father are more vulnerable to motion sickness.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    I've never heard of anyone being susceptible to motion sickness just from simply being in VR. Usually happens only with experiences that involve artificial movement. Something like Beat Saber, or Job Simulator, shouldn't have any negative effects on anyone.

• Options
    I could see it being something where they are going into it thinking/saying "I'm gonna get sick doing this!" and basically convincing themselves, such that they do feel queasy

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    I've never heard of anyone being susceptible to motion sickness just from simply being in VR. Usually happens only with experiences that involve artificial movement. Something like Beat Saber, or Job Simulator, shouldn't have any negative effects on anyone.

I'm curious what it was too! I haven't personally witnessed any VR motion sickness without one of two things happening -- artificial locomotion, or very bad framerates. My standard demo suite for beginners has never given anyone trouble motion sickness wise, and I always warn people of what's probably going to happen if they want to play something that has FPS movement. I also once had a guy start to get sick with Vivecraft, but that's because my framerate was super bad and I hadn't demo'd it with people before.

What games were they playing? Was it more demanding stuff or were they getting sick with the basic "safe" roomscale stuff? I'm super susceptible to motion sickness in cars and such for what it's worth.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    They played super hot. I think that the teleporting in steam vr home was getting to them too.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    Resident Evil 7 seems too much for me in VR.

This discussion has been closed.