As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Virtual Reality] is like normal reality, but butter

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Eh I gave up on Rocket League a long, long time ago.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Tiny bit peeved. I had SteamVR installed and ready to go like a good little boy but now Steam si saying it needs to download another 1.6 gigs before I can use my plugged in and ready to go headset! :)

Also, does anyone have index base stations, and if they do, do they make as pitched whining noise like mine do? It's quite annoying, I'm going to uplug these things when I'm not using them.

EDIT: Firmware updates! For five devices! Yay!

Undead Scottsman on
  • General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's the sound of its motors spinning the lasers around the room. There's a bluetooth setting in the steam VR options where you can set the base stations to automatically enter sleep mode to power down when not in use and then power back on when you turn on steam vr. That option's been a bit finicky for me, but I think that's because my apartments are very electronically noisy. It's worth a shot.

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
    Yeah, that's the sound of its motors spinning the lasers around the room. There's a bluetooth setting in the steam VR options where you can set the base stations to automatically enter sleep mode to power down when not in use and then power back on when you turn on steam vr. That option's been a bit finicky for me, but I think that's because my apartments are very electronically noisy. It's worth a shot.

Thank you for the suggestion, I'll definitely try it!

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Yeah, I never used to notice the old 1.0 base stations for my Vive. The 2.0 stations are definitely louder. Mine also seem to have pitches that are slightly out of phase or something. When they both get going it turns into a high-pitched woomwoomwoomwoom noise. I don’t hear it at all when game audio kicks in, but if they didn’t shut off when I shut down VR it would be a little annoying.

5gsowHm.png
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular

It works pretty well for me in a house!

edited December 2019
    Superhot VR is very good.

Banging you hand (and controllers :bigfrown:) on your desk doing underhanded lobs and accidently knocking over your lamp twice, less so.

Need to clear out my spare bedroom ASAP.

EDIT: Also your suggestion worked great, General_Armchair. Thank you so very much!

Undead Scottsman on

Guess it can't be played on the basic Rift? :sad:

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Just wait until you try and get up from a kneeling position and try to brace against a wall that isn't there.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Just wait until you try and get up from a kneeling position and try to brace against a wall that isn't there.

I tried to rest my arms on the console of the ship in Vader Immortal.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    My friend cut his head open when he tried to lean on a railing in Arizona Sunshine.

He fell over again when he tried to use the same bar to get back up.

Alcohol may have been involved.

edited December 2019
    Oh god, I'm glad I've never been brave enough to drink and VR.

Karoz on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Hullo VR thread

I bought a Quest about a week ago and am loving it so far - mostly Beat Saber, with a bit of Superhot. It came with Vader Immortal, but I'm barely past the intro to that.

With regards to VR related injuries, I did a bunch of research before buying including into stuff like potential safety concerns

and so, for your cautionary tales or schadenfreude, I give you VR to ER. (Warning: some posts show small amounts of blood/injuries, and some gruesomely damaged televisions)

this video is safe though. english subtitles are available.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEGfpga0gqw

UnbrokenEva on
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Superhot VR is very good.

Banging you hand (and controllers :bigfrown:) on your desk doing underhanded lobs and accidently knocking over your lamp twice, less so.

Need to clear out my spare bedroom ASAP.
    I've had four mishaps with my Quest so far, fortunately none of them too bad.
    1. While playing Racket NX, I went for a strong backhand, which was fast enough to not throw the guardian up in time. I ended up with my knuckles smashing against a window pane on a door. Glass intact. Kids spooked. Knuckle bruised. Pride slightly reduced.
    2. I keep telling everyone to walk behind me when I'm playing. My wife thought she could sneak in front of me while playing Racket Fury. I dove forward for a dinker my opponent threw at me. She ended up with my touch controller (and hence fist) in her gut. I felt terrible, but everyone now actually takes the precaution of walking behind me like I asked in the first place.
    3. Playing The Climb while seated in an office chair, I looked back, hit the jump button and and reached out to grab onto the grip, but I pushed a cardboard box filled with giveaway stuff for Good Samaritans. Shit went everywhere.
    4. Playing Arizona Sunshine last night, I opened a trunk. I went to look in and tried to brace myself on the trunk rim... which isn't there in the real world. I fortunately stepped forward and caught myself before I fell.

We have a small condo, so I keep getting kicked out of rooms, which means that my environment keeps changing. That leads to mistakes like these.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I've only had one minor mishap myself so far - reached above my head to grab a ladder rung in Vader, and banged on the light fixture on our ceiling fan. Didn't break anything, at least

might move to the basement for more enthusiastic VR sessions though and/or when I have friends over to play that might get carried away

Fearghaill wrote: »
    Am I a horrible person for being more concerned for the Quest than that guy's face?

Le_Goat wrote: »
    Am I a horrible person for being more concerned for the Quest than that guy's face?

nah, people heal, plastic and electronics don't.

apparently the headset is fine, the ring on one of the controllers is cracked but it still works, and the guy had a headache and a black eye

Yeah I've knocked the controller into my dining room table a couple times. Nothing too hard or serious but there are some scuffs on the ring. Mostly during Superhot. I find it incredibly easy to lose your place in reality while playing it. That game seems like it would benefit from a much larger room scale area for a lot of reasons.

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2019
    Karoz wrote: »

Drunken VR is great! Probably slightly dangerous but fun if you make sure to pay attention to your friends, who are going to screw up and do something silly. I still remember booting up Thrill of the Fight for the first time in awhile when we were all several drinks in, and at some point they had changed the punch system to let you pick how strong or weak you are -- so if you're super weak in real life you can still punch a guy out (because it's based on the force you swing with, you're actually at a disadvantage or advantage if you're weaker/stronger).

I had no idea this was the case, and the game had defaulted us to the weakest punch force (designed for people who are actually very good at boxing, so they don't just instantly knock everyone out). So it wound up being each of us taking turns, spending 10-15 minutes drunkenly swinging away and exhausting ourselves asking "Why can't I knock this guy out?" before each of us gave up and were completely drenched in sweat and panting like we had run a marathon.

And yes, one of my friends almost crashed completely through my front windows in the middle of winter before we could stop him (he hit it, luckily not quite hard enough to break through). Worth it! Most importantly, 0 damage to the headset or controllers.

Fiatil on
  • crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    I upgraded my cpu, motherboard, and RAM this week as my old parts were 6 years old.
    Things seem pretty improved using my wireless adapter now! SuperHot was really the only thing any issues were super noticeable in before upgrading, so I played through all of the story missions (without any of the story stuff) last night, and didn't see a single resolution drop! I would occasionally get a few frames of low res before and I got none of that.

I also booted up Beat Saber at the end and whooooof I am woefully out of shape. I couldn't tell if the later soundtracks they released were harder than the original, or if it was just me not having played in a long time.

• SudsSuds Registered User regular

I believe a PCVR version is coming next year. It’s a really neat experience. And quite long as well for Quest games. One of the most unique things I’ve ever done.

camo_sig2.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I would hate the day someone could drug you and put you in a holodeck.

Krathoon wrote: »

This sounds like the plot of an Inception sequel.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Krathoon wrote: »

This sounds like the plot of an Inception sequel.

A VR inside of a VR inside of a VR.

Isn't Accounting+ like that?

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    And Virtual Virtual Reality.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »

Drunken VR is great! Probably slightly dangerous but fun if you make sure to pay attention to your friends, who are going to screw up and do something silly. I still remember booting up Thrill of the Fight for the first time in awhile when we were all several drinks in, and at some point they had changed the punch system to let you pick how strong or weak you are -- so if you're super weak in real life you can still punch a guy out (because it's based on the force you swing with, you're actually at a disadvantage or advantage if you're weaker/stronger).

I had no idea this was the case, and the game had defaulted us to the weakest punch force (designed for people who are actually very good at boxing, so they don't just instantly knock everyone out). So it wound up being each of us taking turns, spending 10-15 minutes drunkenly swinging away and exhausting ourselves asking "Why can't I knock this guy out?" before each of us gave up and were completely drenched in sweat and panting like we had run a marathon.

And yes, one of my friends almost crashed completely through my front windows in the middle of winter before we could stop him (he hit it, luckily not quite hard enough to break through). Worth it! Most importantly, 0 damage to the headset or controllers.

My wife loooooovvvves getting shitfaced and playing Robo Recall. I think that's pretty much the only VR game she likes, anyone got any recommendations for something similar?

JtgVX0H.png
    Suds wrote: »

I believe a PCVR version is coming next year. It’s a really neat experience. And quite long as well for Quest games. One of the most unique things I’ve ever done.

I'm holding off on The Under Presents. I've read mixed reviews so far and it seems like the beauty of the game is the exploration. Despite the fact that I said I was going to take it slow, In the last month I've bought 8 games. I said I was done, and then I just saw that Death Trap came out today... No, I can't get Death Trap... maybe I can... no... I have enough to play right now... but maybe?

Anyhoo, I'm holding off on The Under until I have more time that I'm willing to devote.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular

apparently the headset is fine, the ring on one of the controllers is cracked but it still works, and the guy had a headache and a black eye

The horrifying thing is that's not entirely true. Our bodies patch things up with collagen, which breaks down if you don't get enough vitamin C (i.e. scurvy). Your body never returns to its previous, un-injured state.
    "But a most extraordinary circumstance, and what would be scarcely credible upon any single evidence, is, that the scars of wounds which had been for many years healed, were forced open again by this virulent distemper. Of this, there was a remarkable instance in one of the invalids on board the Centurion, who had been wounded above fifty years before at the battle of the Boyne; for though he was cured soon after, and had continued well for a great number of years past, yet on his being attacked by the scurvy, his wounds, in the progress of his disease, broke out afresh, and appeared as if they had never been healed. Nay, what is still more astonishing, the callous of a broken bone, which had been completely formed for a long time, was found to be hereby dissolved, and the fracture seemed as if it had never been consolidated."

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote: »

The horrifying thing is that's not entirely true. Our bodies patch things up with collagen, which breaks down if you don't get enough vitamin C (i.e. scurvy). Your body never returns to its previous, un-injured state.
    "But a most extraordinary circumstance, and what would be scarcely credible upon any single evidence, is, that the scars of wounds which had been for many years healed, were forced open again by this virulent distemper. Of this, there was a remarkable instance in one of the invalids on board the Centurion, who had been wounded above fifty years before at the battle of the Boyne; for though he was cured soon after, and had continued well for a great number of years past, yet on his being attacked by the scurvy, his wounds, in the progress of his disease, broke out afresh, and appeared as if they had never been healed. Nay, what is still more astonishing, the callous of a broken bone, which had been completely formed for a long time, was found to be hereby dissolved, and the fracture seemed as if it had never been consolidated."

Unless you're a wizard!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

It just sounds like a trip to the hospital waiting to happen unless I VR-ed in a padded room.

I'm holding off on The Under Presents. I've read mixed reviews so far and it seems like the beauty of the game is the exploration. Despite the fact that I said I was going to take it slow, In the last month I've bought 8 games. I said I was done, and then I just saw that Death Trap came out today... No, I can't get Death Trap... maybe I can... no... I have enough to play right now... but maybe?

Anyhoo, I'm holding off on The Under until I have more time that I'm willing to devote.

That’s smart. I had really been looking forward to it since Virtual Virtual Reality and it’s by the same guys.

It’s the same style of “game” as that. In that you can’t really fail what you’re doing and the story continues on. The single player portion I did in about 10 hours or so. The MP HUB I’d like to spend more time in, but I’ve already run into two live actors and that was pretty neat.

Just a note the Live Actor appearances will only happen until March of 2020

camo_sig2.png
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited December 2019

It just sounds like a trip to the hospital waiting to happen unless I VR-ed in a padded room.

I probably wouldn't recommend it for everyone! I'm comfortable in my knowledge of how to use my headset, my ability to keep a relatively cool head while intoxicated, and have a fairly large play area as well. There's definitely a lot of "NOPE, take a step baaaaack before you start swinging, nope one more, theere you go" and some forced reorienting if it's looking dangerous. If we're playing something where swinging is involved (particularly Gorn or Blade and Sorcery), they're definitely putting the back of their feet up against my couch (the far edge of my play space) to start, and doing that to reorient fairly often. Everyone gets it -- no one wants to break the fancy VR headset, so they're willing to let you drunkenly yell at them to reorient themselves (if done with good humor and a smile on your face of course).

Would I let one of my drunk friends strap on the headset while I go run some errands? Oh god no. I can't think of many times someone else has used it without me being in the room with them, regardless of sobriety levels. Is it riskier overall than doing it sober? Of course, but so is everything else. I wouldn't even say alcohol is the VR enhancer of choice in most situations, but it can be fun with friends!

Fiatil on
    Just a note the Live Actor appearances will only happen until March of 2020
    That is good to note. Means I'll need to play it before then to get the full scoop of deliciousness. Otherwise, I'll just be drinking Diet Mountain Dew. At that point, why the hell am I even drinking it?

I decided to move my standing room back a bit so I'm close to my bed behind me than I am to the computer monitor, lamp and all that important shit in front of me, except I've done the calibration twice and it's ignore the changes twice, putting the circle back to where I originally set it. Any idea what's up? I'd like to play superhot without working my frantic grabs and throws aren't going to fuck things up.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Fired up No Man's Sky in VR to see what it's like, apparently my rig is not beefy enough to keep up with planetside rendering, lots of heavy pixellation and trying to fly resulted in stretches of blank screen as it presumably dipped low enough in frames it stops feeding output rather than subject you to vomitvision. Buttery smooth once I was in space though.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Fired up No Man's Sky in VR to see what it's like, apparently my rig is not beefy enough to keep up with planetside rendering, lots of heavy pixellation and trying to fly resulted in stretches of blank screen as it presumably dipped low enough in frames it stops feeding output rather than subject you to vomitvision. Buttery smooth once I was in space though.

I've had similar issues with No Man's in VR. Seems a strange issue, the hitching only happens when I see a new bit if landscape or something.
    I can do 360s standing still and it's buttery smooth, but as soon as something new is loading in then it turns into puketown

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I got the craving to do some beat saber and after spending a hour setting up the room and fighting with cables I'm sick and tired of cables.

Is the Rift S or Odyssey any good?

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So it looks like I’m getting a Quest for Christmas to replace my CV1. I went to look for a deluxe audio strap and it looks like they’ve been discontinued? Anyone have any alternative recommendations for good comfort/sound solutions for the Quest?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
This discussion has been closed.