As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Kirby will save us all.

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
edited November 2018 in Games and Technology
LWXdQ2s.jpg
December 7th, 2018

Recent News
November 1st: Incineroar announced as new challenger. Ken announced as Echo Fighter. Pirahna Plant announced as future DLC.
September 13th: Isabelle announced as new challenger. Special Edition Switch bundle announced for November 2nd.
August, 8th: Simon Belmont and King K. Rool announced as new challengers. Richter Belmont, Chrom, and Dark Samus announced as Echo Fighters.

The next generation of Super Smash Bros. is here! For the uninitiated, Smash Bros. is a fighting game, only it's got some platforming elements and the goal is to knock your opponent off the stage instead of depleting their HP. Oh, and it stars some of Nintendo's most famous characters alongside a handful of third-party legends. The game can get quite deep, offering a ton of options for play so you can tailor things the way you like it. You can have a chaotic eight-player battle with just pokeballs spawning, or a super-serious 1v1 affair. After nineteen years since its humble debut on the Nintendo 64, Super Smash Bros. has become one of the most beloved franchises out there, being both a sweet fighting game and awesome homage to all things Nintendo. And now we're getting the ULTIMATE Smash experience, with literally every character in the franchise making a return.

The Golden Smash Rule: Do not bring up competitive vs. casual bullshit. I do not understand why people think a game can only be played one way, and that the one way just coincidentally happens to be their way. Regardless, it will not be tolerated here. Complaining about arrogant tournament players or filthy casual scrubs will net you an infraction. This was something that plagued the old Brawl threads, and the modern Smash threads have been refreshingly clean of all that garbage.

Got all that? If so, then read on and...

Get Ready to Smash
Ov6lJe8.gif
K7betpf.pngftryFux.png8smwkch.png3940fbo.pngoXZCC7g.pngXWmEbNU.pngKUjC3JA.png
ipQuQ10.pngcQk4ZkI.pngSVEijLD.pngax3tZLC.png7kvI9kk.png

QHBRRCw.png
Smash Ultimate brings back Omega versions of stages, in addition to a Battlefield type layout for them all. You can also turn off stage hazards on stages now, which will likely lead to a MUCH healthier map pool for the tournament scene than previous games. For further shenanigans, the game has a new feature called Stage Morph, which has you swapping between two stages in the middle of a match. You can either pick the two stages OR have the second stage to swap to be random. In addition, you can adjust the time between morphs OR have it swap at random periods.

There are way the hell too many stages returning, with an absurd 100+ stages in total. So I'm just going to list new ones.
  • Great Plateau Tower
  • Moray Towers
  • New Donk City
  • Dracula's Castle

p8DEHoM.png
Everyone is coming back?
Yes.

Everyone?
Yes. Even weird edge cases like Toon Link and Young Link will be two distinct characters.

Any major changes?
Air dodge now gives way more movement, making it valuable for mobility and even recovery. Also, dodging has been nerfed, as it now how properties similar to stale moves, where dodging too much in a short period reduces the intangibility frames. Also, perfect shielding has been nerfed, as you have to release your shield right as the incoming attack lands. This gives the move significantly more risk, and probably more skill-based too.

Final Smashes are being changed to be shorter lived. So Final Smashes where you control the character have been changed to cinematic attacks. Also, a bunch of UI tweaks, like showing Robin's charges remaining or ROB's fuel gauge. Damage also show percents now, which have always existed but were just clipped off. In a more interesting change, there is an option for a Final Smash meter, where you can build it up in gameplay and unleash a Final Smash when it's full. Final Smashes done this way WILL be weaker, so it's not quite as good as the Smash Ball.

What the heck is an Echo Fighter?
It's basically their official name for characters like Dark Pit and Lucina: fighters that are basically model-swaps of pre-existing fighters. They DO have differences from the original character their moveset is based on, but it's so small that in some cases they may still count as the same character for the purposes of tier listings.

How are unlocks done?
You start with just a handful of characters, and just unlock more through playing. The specifics aren't known yet, but it's random unlocks and supposedly faster than previous Smash games.

All stages are unlocked, so have at it.

Are custom moves back?
With the exception of Miis, custom moves are gone. Even Palutena has had her moveset condensed.

Will Gamecube controllers return?
Not only will a special edition of the game being releasing with a cube controller and adapter, but you can also use the old ones from Smash 4. In fact, I've heard that some other games on Switch are compatible with the controller, so all the better.

b7x7sWb.png
Ultimate Announce Trailer/Inkling Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3Gt42kVgCw

Veteran Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YmIl3jA758

Ridley Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x0NdTsmWv8

Simon & Richter Belmont Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VrbkoWUyIg

King K. Rool Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-gfC1upmoA

Isabelle Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijp5FeOE_Yw

Ken & Incineroar Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpuBNp27jVw

YL9WnCY.png
Sterica on

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Super Smash Bros really is "video games" the video game.

ALL THE WARRIORS.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    We live in a world of DLC and post-launch content so I wonder how much SSBU will receive.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Peach looks like she's holding that squid hostage.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    The Ridley amiibo is 10 feet tall.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Show us the Snake amiibo, Nintendo.

YL9WnCY.png
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    We live in a world of DLC and post-launch content so I wonder how much SSBU will receive.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which was a similar package albeit on a smaller scale, hasn't gotten any post-launch DLC. I wouldn't count on this game having any until Nintendo announces it.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    It’s coming out Dec 7 right

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    They showed Unreal in the credits at the end of the trailer. So this game is using a whole new engine?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited June 2018
    Seeing Mario and Mega Man get brutally murdered like in a horror movie in that Ridley trailer gave me psychological trauma.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Have they talked about game modes at all? I'm hoping Ultimate's singleplayer offering is a bit more robust than it was on WiiU.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Ridley and Ganon are the only characters who actually murder others, right? I mean, in their respective games.

Though when I think about it, Samus will blow shit up indiscriminately so she counts too.

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    Really funny how they are designating clone fighters as "echo" fighters. I'm interested in seeing how they handle the unlock process for fighters.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Bayonetta. Bayonetta sometimes kills things.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    So Ridley's final smash is that he hits you so hard you fly into space and hit Samus' ship, which he then puts a fuckin hole in

top tier

Delzhand on
    Delzhand wrote: »
    So Ridley's final smash is that he hits you so hard you fly into space and hit Samus' ship, which he then puts a fuckin hole in

top tier

In the stream after the direct they were playing with Ridley and after his final smash you can see Samus's ship crash landing in the stage background. Nice detail.

edited June 2018
    Speaking of murder, we need to get some Resident Evil characters in there now.

*Jill uses final smash, horde of zombies begin munching on Luigi's brain*

"Mama Mia!"

Dr. Chaos on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Even though they did not show much, the smash presentation made it all okay.

Everyone is back, Ridley is in, inklings are in, snake is back, Daisy is a clone. Sakurai is a Madman and we love him for it!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    Bayonetta. Bayonetta sometimes kills things.

Bayo kills a lot of things. Many of them deserve it, though.
    Delzhand wrote: »

top tier

It may even reference her ship being destroyed in Zero Mission. Though Ridley was dead at the time.

• Tim is on the InternetTim is on the Internet On the Internet Edmonton, ABRegistered User regular
    Young Link and Toon Link? What is happening

Discord: TimIsOnTheInternet#0056
    Steam: TimIsOnSteam
    Battle.net: TimIsOnBnet#1745
    Switch: SW-7012-4788-7410
    PSN: TimIsOnTheNet
    Maz- wrote: »
    So including the two clone (echo, what they call it) characters, that's 67 on the roster. Damn this game is big.

Add Shantae you cowards.

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Hayter confirmed for Snakes voice, although I'm not sure if that means they recorded new lines, or just using old ones.

Edit: If they have Venom Snake as well with Keifer as an option I'd be cool with that too.

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Maz- wrote: »

There's room for two more slots on that 'Fighters' table, could just be website table formatting though. I would think they would cap it off at an even 70. That's a hell of a lot of characters, and Sakurai said during the reveal that there won't be that many new characters added.

KoopahTroopah on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I am unreasonably happy about Wolf. I loved him in Brawl. He always felt like the perfect balance of weight and speed compared to Fox.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'm pleased the Ice Climbers are back. They were never my favourite characters, but I enjoyed their gimmick.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I remember Ridley being a rumor for Wii U Smash a while ago. As for the whole roster being available, I am a little disappointed. There's no surprise how things will pan out with most of the characters. I was hoping for more debuts of new game characters, but I guess I'll take my silver metal if it means playing my favorites any day.

It seems like they're going all out, including eyes on the esport scene this time around.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I am unreasonably happy about Wolf. I loved him in Brawl. He always felt like the perfect balance of weight and speed compared to Fox.

Same here, Wolf was my favourite of the 3. The extra weight made him feel a lot more powerful and responsive.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    For the person asking last thread about the score display after every fall - they mentioned in the stream that this was only for 1-on-1 matches. So it won't be an all the time thing.

As for predictions, I think the only thing I got right is Daisy, though I listed no cuts at all. Waluigi just being an assist trophy is sad to me.

Nitsua on
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    They got music up on the main site and it's very goooood.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    They got music up on the main site and it's very goooood.
    Well there's the thing I'll be doing for the next half year.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Looks awesome. I'm pleased at the number of changes they made, it's clearly not a port no matter how you look at it, even if the emphasis is on re-introducing "old" content. Wish we knew more about online play.

edited June 2018
    Wait what the fuck, why does the music part of the Smash Bros Ultimate site have Vega's stage theme from Street Fighter?

Edit - Oh my goodness it's so pretty. <3

Henroid on
    I hope they cut that awful Pac-Man stage, just give us the 3DS maze stage.

Does anyone know when the invitational is supposed to start?

sig.gif
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »

Sometime around 5-6pm EST, after the Splatoon2 tourney ends.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Also the site has an entry for every single character with a 20~ second video clip for each one: https://www.smashbros.com/en_US/fighter

On Nintendo's E3 site it says right after the Splatoon 2 Finals, which starts at 1pm PT.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Remember the leak that said that all characters were coming back and said that Ridley, snake, and the Ice Climbers would be shown off in the direct also said that Simon Belmont would be announced. I could see that being a rather popular character to announce at the Invitational, just saying...

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!

On Nintendo's E3 site it says right after the Splatoon 2 Finals, which starts at 1pm PT.

Okay so, maybe 9-10pm GMT? 2-3 hours from now?

sig.gif
This discussion has been closed.