Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Bug Identification

FryFry Registered User regular
Howdy folks!

Maybe a week or so back, my roommate and I noticed some weird brown horizontal...things stuck to our front door. My roommate said "egg sac," and I disagreed because I couldn't get my eyes to resolve those things into looking like eggs. Well, two days ago there is a herd of new friends hanging out on the door, so I guess he was probably right:
9HP2Q4Z.jpg

Sorry for the blurry phone pic, I don't make a very stable tripod and these critters are very small. Red, six legs, plus two antennae that are a bit longer than their legs. I could probably cover most of them with one thumbprint. They seem to have relocated from on the door itself to the door frame, but they are still in a pretty tight herd. They don't move much, at least when I'm watching. They just...stand there.

Any idea what they are? I'm in central VA, if that helps.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    MY GOD RUN!

haha not really

I'm guessing assassin bug but I studied architecture so ....

zepherinElvenshae
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Did some GIS for Assassin Bug nymphs/eggs and ran across this, which looks like a less-blurry version of the picture I took:

https://bugguide.net/node/view/139473

The eggs in this picture especially look more correct to me than anything I was seeing for assassin bugs.

ArbitraryDescriptorElvenshaeceres
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Fry wrote: »
    Did some GIS for Assassin Bug nymphs/eggs and ran across this, which looks like a less-blurry version of the picture I took:

https://bugguide.net/node/view/139473

The eggs in this picture especially look more correct to me than anything I was seeing for assassin bugs.

I am digging that website.
    Moved from Arthropods.

"Probably Coreidae."

Moved from True Bugs.

Moved from Leaffooted Bugs.

-> Leaffooted Bugs Nymphs

"These are definitely leaf-footed nymphs, "

ArbitraryDescriptor on
    ceres
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I do think they're Leaffooted bugs. Don't assassin bugs put their eggs in clusters instead of strings?

Can you tell @BugBoy ?

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    And they were gone when I got home today, so I can't check whether they have leaf feet or not. The little guys grew up so fast ;(

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    Leaf-footed bugs looks like the right call to me.

Chances are good you’ll see them again too-they probably haven’t gone far. Check the plants around your place in a week or two and I bet you’ll see them getting big.

You see lots of things, out there in the swamp at night. Some of them might even be real. But the Bugboy? That's just plain impossible.
    FryXaquinElvenshaeShadowfireceresNightDragonDisruptedCapitalist
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Oh, and be happy they're not assassin bugs - those are a vector for a nasty disease - Chagas disease, which if not caught early will destroy your heart.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    That’s true, but there’s only one kind of assassin bug-Triatomines, aka Kissing Bugs-that carry Chagas.

The rest of the Assassin Bug family will inflict a hell of a nasty bite if bothered, but are otherwise safe.

You see lots of things, out there in the swamp at night. Some of them might even be real. But the Bugboy? That's just plain impossible.