Options

Now the real [E3 thread] begins...

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    So I'm finally reading the previous thread, and regarding the Gibson/CP2077 debate, it is worth noting that William Gibson hasn't really written proper cyberpunk lit as long as I've been alive if not longer

The man sees 80s throwbacks and deems them passe because he was done and over with that genre and its squabbles ages ago

Now, sometimes I think that "cyberpunk is a genre trapped in the past" is a fair take but in this case CP2077 is very deliberately a throwback to a vintage RPG and not trying to pass itself off as contemporary (Altered Carbon I am looking at you)

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    god

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    GB NiGHTs into #Tree3s is underway btw

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    The things Vinny is saying about BG&E2 is wild

It is apparently not what I thought it would be

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

What is it?

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I miss anything on the Giant Bomb crew check in?

Other than Ben looking exhausted

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    So I'm finally reading the previous thread, and regarding the Gibson/CP2077 debate, it is worth noting that William Gibson hasn't really written proper cyberpunk lit as long as I've been alive if not longer

The man sees 80s throwbacks and deems them passe because he was done and over with that genre and its squabbles ages ago

Now, sometimes I think that "cyberpunk is a genre trapped in the past" is a fair take but in this case CP2077 is very deliberately a throwback to a vintage RPG and not trying to pass itself off as contemporary (Altered Carbon I am looking at you)

Gibson’s The Peripheral is a pretty rad new take on a lot of the same thoughts that informed his earlier cyberpunk work.

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Does anyone wanna hear my last of us hot take

I thought the first one was enjoyable and well made but not anywhere near as deep as it thought it was. SHOCKING VIOLENCE contrasted with INTIMATE EMOTIONAL MOMENTS peaked when
    the little boy died

And was diminishing returns after that. AAA emotional somber violence games are bad, and I blame TLOU

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »

Gibson’s The Peripheral is a pretty rad new take on a lot of the same thoughts that informed his earlier cyberpunk work.

Oh yeah, the fundamental philosophies inherent to the cyberpunks of the '80s is still alive and well. The fiction those authors are creating has just evolved a ton! It turns out that yeah, futurism and what influences science fiction now is very different from futurism in the 80s or the 50s

I actually think Blade Runner 2048 did a solid job of reconciling the outlook of the early 80s with that of the late 2010s as it also layered modern science fiction designs atop a familiar retro visual language, and that was a very subtle part of why it worked well for me

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    If I were making Cyberpunk I wouldn't be able to resist the urge to release it in 2020

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Elaro wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I feel like I must have completely misinterpreted Ghosts of Tsushima last year, because for some reason I was expecting some kind of mech element or something? Maybe I’m getting it mixed up with another game.

Anyway, it looks fantastic regardless.

Yeah, I was also under the impression From Software was working on something inspired by Vision of Escaflowne, a fantasy mecha anime.

Maybe they're still working on it!

(In secret. Shhhhh!)

Apparently I completely missed the reveal of Daemon X Machina!

It’s not what I was thinking of exactly, but still seems pretty neat.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I missed the Nintendo conference. Anything sufficiently JRPG-y?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Xenoblade Chronicles DLC and Octopath Traveler demo on Thursday

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    nintendo direct was like 60% smash, but they did show some xenoblade chronicles 2 dlc

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Ghost of Tsushima details

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ghost-of-tsushima-game-details-e3-2018.48693/

Being able to use a Japanese voice track is a good thing I like.

All this stuff sounds great, though.

I'm totally gonna tenchu the shit out this game.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

What is it?

Maybe I just never heard this stuff before, but you create your own animal hybrid character, and the weapon type you choose helps define your abilities, and also you can do the No Man’s Sky thing of getting in a spaceship and flying out from a planet and into space without any load times

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I kinda hope Yoshi was pushed back to tweak difficulty. Kirby was piss easy and the puzzle rooms handed you the powers you needed

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I haven't really been following too closely, what's the name of the not-Armored Core game? That is very much of interest to me.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    Xenoblade Chronicles DLC and Octopath Traveler demo on Thursday

Nice, guess I'll start looking for Switch sales/bundles.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular

What is it?

Maybe I just never heard this stuff before, but you create your own animal hybrid character, and the weapon type you choose helps define your abilities, and also you can do the No Man’s Sky thing of getting in a spaceship and flying out from a planet and into space without any load times

Those crazy bastards. They finally did it.

A fursona creator in a AAA game.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    I haven't really been following too closely, what's the name of the not-Armored Core game? That is very much of interest to me.

DAEMON X MACHINA

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Wait so is cyberpunk first person all the time or just during certain parts? Cos I wanna see my character

• Options
    of COURSE the sea of thieves guy is english

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    It's a second-person game

YOU are the cyberpunk

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Wait so is cyberpunk first person all the time or just during certain parts? Cos I wanna see my character

I think you see yourself in cut scenes?

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    You know a thing I'm disappointed by?

No X-COM teasers or mentions.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I kinda hope Yoshi was pushed back to tweak difficulty. Kirby was piss easy and the puzzle rooms handed you the powers you needed

Yoshi's Wooly World got pretty difficult

• Options
    Also no mortal kombat news is dissapointing

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »

I think 2 didn't do nearly as well as 1 so that might go dormant for a few years

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    WACriminal wrote: »

I think 2 didn't do nearly as well as 1 so that might go dormant for a few years

Also a lot of imitators are hitting the market soon:

Phoenix Point, Adeptus Mechanicus, Gears Tactics and probably more.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I loved xcom 2 and war of the chosen but it would be cool to see those guys do the same kind of gameplay but with a different theme/ip

Someone give them the Star Wars license, I want to have campaigns running the rebels or the empire

Prohass on
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    We then see V in her apartment, which is much nicer than the one the scavengers were holed up in. Opening the blinds on her window shows a neon-lit view of billboards on old concrete structures, and a window that doubles as a computer where she can check her mail and more. We see V go into a backroom that doubles as her armory. She grabs her trusty pistol, and then moves to her closet near the front door, which holds her jackets, each giving protections for various things like physical, thermal, EMP, and chemical. The jacket also gives her street cred, which can elevate her standing in the world.
    She first visits a ripperdoc to get some upgrades. It appears the player can visit this location freely, as numerous upgrade options appear onscreen. The amount of detail that accompanies this process is stunning, showing V's arm get numbed with sci-fi needles and shoved into a device that fastens metal and wires to her palm as the doctor communicates with her. The doc then does a procedure on her eye, which is removed and turned off briefly. V has a bit of an out-of-body experience as her eye is moved away from her for a brief time while the upgrade is applied. What exactly did V get put in her eye? A Kiroshi optical scanner that can be used to scan for threats, access points, and more. The scanner also allows the player to zoom in on objects. Her hand is outfitted with a subdermal weapon rig, which increases her gripping force and helps with her shooting. We're told this doctor is honorable, but others can apply illegal upgrades

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Prohass wrote: »

First person but you see your character in cutscenes

The open-world role-playing game will take place mostly in first-person—as opposed to The Witcher 3's third-person point of view, which was designed specifically so that you could undress Geralt with your eyes whenever you wanted. However, you’ll still get to see your character during conversations and cut-scenes, so it’s more than just a first-person experience.

You’ll play as a character named V, who CDP describes in a press release as “a hired gun on the rise in Night City, the most violent and dangerous metropolis of the corporate-ruled future.” You’ll be able to choose V’s gender, appearance, class, and historical background. Any of those things can influence the “shape of the game,” CDP wrote.

Much like Geralt from The Witcher, V will still very much be their own person, rather than a blank slate for the player. “For us, having someone who’s voiced and a named character allows us to build more interesting relationships,” the game’s associate design director Kyle Rowley told GameSpot. “So V in a sense does have her own kind of personality, but you shape it as a player.”

The two latter paragraphs there

Unf <3

Everything I was asking for (character selection, but a defined character and not a blank slate)

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

What is it?

I get to create my own space fursona?

Sold

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    We then see V in her apartment, which is much nicer than the one the scavengers were holed up in. Opening the blinds on her window shows a neon-lit view of billboards on old concrete structures, and a window that doubles as a computer where she can check her mail and more. We see V go into a backroom that doubles as her armory. She grabs her trusty pistol, and then moves to her closet near the front door, which holds her jackets, each giving protections for various things like physical, thermal, EMP, and chemical. The jacket also gives her street cred, which can elevate her standing in the world.
    She first visits a ripperdoc to get some upgrades. It appears the player can visit this location freely, as numerous upgrade options appear onscreen. The amount of detail that accompanies this process is stunning, showing V's arm get numbed with sci-fi needles and shoved into a device that fastens metal and wires to her palm as the doctor communicates with her. The doc then does a procedure on her eye, which is removed and turned off briefly. V has a bit of an out-of-body experience as her eye is moved away from her for a brief time while the upgrade is applied. What exactly did V get put in her eye? A Kiroshi optical scanner that can be used to scan for threats, access points, and more. The scanner also allows the player to zoom in on objects. Her hand is outfitted with a subdermal weapon rig, which increases her gripping force and helps with her shooting. We're told this doctor is honorable, but others can apply illegal upgrades

whelp, I'll pass!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User, Moderator mod

What is it?

based on vinny's description of what they had to show I have doubts about that project. I get the feeling they might not have a real vision or design doc for what the actual gameplay should be and are just throwing all their crazy ideas for ambitious but ultimately pointless stuff like an open world planet/solar system at the wall hoping a game will emerge from them somehow.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    sea of thieves dude: "everyone knows what pirates do— apart from your friend,"

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    catching up on the previous thread...
    exclusive Platypus chef
    MWv3pGE.gif

A Perry the Platypus chef?

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython