As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Octopath Traveler and Triangle Strategy]: the octagon is triangled

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Armsmaster Hikari also makes quick work of him. When he has the limited dodges, the warrior skill that hits with all weapons will wear that down quick.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    The Karma fight was unbeatable for me until I realized the boss has a buff that makes him invincible if you spend BP.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The Karma fight was unbeatable for me until I realized the boss has a buff that makes him invincible if you spend BP.

A few things use that buff, it's a nuisance.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

A few things use that buff, it's a nuisance.

That's when I figured out, after 60 something hours, that there's a button you can press in combat to display what all the currently active buffs and debuffs do.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Karma is an incredible boss fight, 12/10

It's completely hard countered by
    The warrior counter skill, which if you haven't tried it, does a frankly stupid amount of damage just in general and is one of the best filler skills.

It's soft countered by it, but that still doesn't do enough hits on its own, especially the Unbreakable Stance. Plus, the encounter is kinda designed around having it due to Perfect Stance. Just an excellent fight where even breaking it feels like you're doing what the devs asked you to do

Perfect Stance only has one shield, so it's not too hard to break through it, a lot of stuff can deal with that one (including an item or two). I'm not sure if it's possible to break the one after it in time.

You can, it's weak to 2/3 elements and to swords so either elemental barrage with not shit luck or the warrior's 3x sword hit will do.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

The warrior counter skill, which if you haven't tried it, does a frankly stupid amount of damage just in general and is one of the best filler skills.

It's soft countered by it, but that still doesn't do enough hits on its own, especially the Unbreakable Stance. Plus, the encounter is kinda designed around having it due to Perfect Stance. Just an excellent fight where even breaking it feels like you're doing what the devs asked you to do

Perfect Stance only has one shield, so it's not too hard to break through it, a lot of stuff can deal with that one (including an item or two). I'm not sure if it's possible to break the one after it in time.

You can, it's weak to 2/3 elements and to swords so either elemental barrage with not shit luck or the warrior's 3x sword hit will do.

No, I mean the one weak to all 12 that has like 18 shields or something. Armsmaster should do it I guess.

• Options

No, I mean the one weak to all 12 that has like 18 shields or something. Armsmaster should do it I guess.

Yes that's what I'm referring to, the 3 sword hits or 3-5 elemental hits do enough.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Triangle strategy is so good. Is octopath of a similar quality if different Genre?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Triangle strategy is so good. Is octopath of a similar quality if different Genre?

Both Octopath games are more traditional turn-based RPGs.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Both Octopath games are more traditional turn-based RPGs.

Really good ones though. I'm not a fan of the Tactics style game (outside of XCOM) so didn't get Triangle, but love both Octopaths.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Octopath stories are a bit campier. Which isn't to say it doesn't have serious storylines, but it's not as unremittingly dire as Triangle's plot is. It's arguably less epic and more about the struggles of individual characters as well, but I can see people disagreeing with that statement.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    Fyi the two Octopath stories and settings are almost totally distinct and 2 improves on basically every element. So feel free to go straight into 2.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Road Block wrote: »
    Fyi the two Octopath stories and settings are almost totally distinct and 2 improves on basically every element. So feel free to go straight into 2.

Yeah OT1 was essentially a proof of concept (disclaimer: I have not played Live a Live).

• Options
    edited April 2023
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Road Block wrote: »

Yeah OT1 was essentially a proof of concept (disclaimer: I have not played Live a Live).

Live A Live is a better game than OT1, I think.

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular

There's just a ton more games recently close enough to Octopath. Its just a minor variation on traditional turn-based JRPG, and the first game settles down into a repetitive formula a bit too fast. As pointed out Live-A-Live is kind of the same thing but better (if shorter.) Good isometric tactics meanwhile have been far fewer and I think TS really stands out for it.

Probably also helps that TS has a unified story that actually builds to something (though I don't know if Octo 2 is substantially improved in that respect.)

• Options
    Live a Live is good. It is a faithful remake of a game from 1994 so you have to be ok with some of the less then modern gameplay aspects, but each story has its own spin on the mechanics that keeps things fresh. It's a good pick if you'd like a relatively short (something like sub 30 hours) RPG or if you want something where you could do a characters story between other games and come back when your in the mood for more.

I still think Octopath 2 is the best of them but Live a live is a fun time.

• Options
    On the flip side, I found Triangle Strategy an interminable slog while Octopath II is an excellent RPG to just pick up, do a little plot mission or side story or explore a town and the surrounding areas, and do something else. It's not super balanced, admittedly, but going to some high level challenge nearby is almost always an option so the combat has stayed engaging enough.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Ochette Chapter 2: Cateracta
    You go looking for a legendary Pokemon and it's fucking dead, how depressing is that?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    So what I’m hearing is Octopath 1 is alright. But Octopath 2 is great and doesn’t require me playing Octopath 1.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    They're both great.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    They're both great.

They are, but OT2 is objectively better.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    So what I’m hearing is Octopath 1 is alright. But Octopath 2 is great and doesn’t require me playing Octopath 1.

i bounced very hard off OT1 but so far i've been able to come back to OT2 for a few minutes at a time to play and progress stories. There is no need to play OT 1 for 2 to work.

• Options
    WitchsightWitchsight Registered User regular
    I just finished Triangle Strategy recently, and it was a pretty enjoyable ride. Its funny, each time I was getting a bit frustrated, Id find some pleasant game mechanic curing my rage. Like keeping Exp even when you lose a fight, made messy slogs totally bearable. Which items were needed to upgrade which weapons was easy to navigate, access to spare cash was there in the mock battles etc.
    I had some nail biter battles that ended in pretty epic ways, and lots of synergies to exploit along the way.

Witchsight.png
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »

i bounced very hard off OT1 but so far i've been able to come back to OT2 for a few minutes at a time to play and progress stories. There is no need to play OT 1 for 2 to work.

I did as well and got at least as far as finishing all the main quest lines. I know there's a final bit and a superboss, but I haven't really gotten around to it nor the urge to finish it since the challenge pretty much dropped almost entirely out for the last 10 hours or so, even without really abusing the extra EXTRA broken stuff. Still 30-40ish hours, which is more than the aproximately three I lasted in OP1, and I absolutely do really appreciate the improvements over the first, especially battles being much more animated, the in-battle banter between characters, and extra bits making the characters more unique, but I still feel like almost none of its unique parts (path actions, open world, subclass system) were executed on particularly well, and in some cases, outright made things significantly worse than if they didn't exist at all.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    hopes for OT3
    8 total characters, pick 4 of them to play the whole game with (maybe if you pick a starter your options are limited so you don't screw yourself by not having a healer, but then again, full monk run or full black mage in ff1 was fantastic so let the player play! I just haven't found much enjoyment in circling the map to pick up all the characters and then circle back around to do stories. Obviously with fast travel its not nearly so bad but i'd like to see them change that part of the game up. Also, definitely would love to see everyone have different abilities instead of just a slightly modified version of something. This person recruits by persuasion, this person recruits by FORCE! ok..but you still just get a follower guy that you need to use an action to call out and they stick around for a random time and sometimes they just do a dumb heal on a full health person?

looking forward to more though as i do like the systems in the game!

• Options
    My wishlist for keeping the same general spirit would be:

Path actions are always available regardless of party, and more unique instead of just having 4 outcomes across 16 actions, two of which (recruit and knockout) are almost entirely just for sidequests.
    Drastically improve dungeons, preferably by diverting most, if not all, of path actions into various dungeon traversal or puzzle solving stuff.
    Make dungeons/bosses scale better by number of bosses/dungeons cleared if not outright just go entirely linear depending on whatever.
    Passive skills more tied to character or class/sub-class to keep characters more unique. Almost everybody for me ended up with a setup for sweeping regular battles or just pure QoL (eg fewer encounters), and max/min-ing for the 'real' fights was never worth it in comparison.
    Instead of subclassing just adding the extra set of that class's skills, let them more modularly slot on additional effects to existing skills. eg subclassing Thief allows putting the Break Armor skill's status onto say, the main class Warrior Blade Fury skill.
    Entire party is available in battles (would also allow greater freedom for gimmicky bosses that need to be addressed in a specific way). Lazy approach would be just allowing swapping on turn like DQXI. Awesome approach would be support attack/defense mechanics like Khemia.

There's a shitload of QoL that would help too. Just any kind of tracker for missing chests and path actions would be huge, as would a minimap. Fuck knows why they ignored that but are like "You know what needs to be on the radar? The results of items being revealed by one specific flavor of path action." And, of course, just involving characters in other stories more and better. Just make it mandatory that you need to recruit all eight before starting chapter 2s. Hardly a huge ask.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    Partitio (somewhat) and Agnes do have more use for recruit than just sidequests. Having Agnes restore 75 SP every time she buffed someone was really helpful!

• Options
    I used the HP/SP one, but they don't scale at all. So you just find the one you like in the first hour, and that's it. Now you're basically done engaging with that mechanic entirely except for when the game grabs you by the nose and forces you to, not even for a gameplay reason, but to continue a cutscene.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I used the HP/SP one, but they don't scale at all. So you just find the one you like in the first hour, and that's it. Now you're basically done engaging with that mechanic entirely except for when the game grabs you by the nose and forces you to, not even for a gameplay reason, but to continue a cutscene.

Or you actually use the recruits. They do solid damage/status buffs.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Or you actually use the recruits. They do solid damage/status buffs.

Yeah, some of them have pretty good active skills and they're online for a few turns. And like, sure, the dance buffs don't scale, but there's a lot of options for em too.

• Options
    Nah. Too random. Will they use their skill? On the right target? Will they just do a basic attack? And do it at the right time instead of fucking up the nuke phase I'm setting up? There was never a time after the first chapters where you only have 1-2 characters where spending a turn to MAYBE get one or two later turns of usefulness out of them was worth it, and even then, it was more for the cover, which fell off as soon as AoE started being the real danger. Better to stack another debuff or buff, or if I lacked the SP for that, to use an item for SP.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    There is a random factor but for me Summons were typically very good value. Throw them out there let them do their thing. They get multiple actions and don't cost any BP just a turn to summon.

• Options
    I feel like there is some morality I’m not getting in Triangle strategy.
    Choice
    Destroy dam
    Sneak in and kill officers
    Destroy bridge and negotiate

Apparently sneaking in and killing the officers, which is good strategy, and minimizes death and risk is “treacherous.”

• Options
    Choice
    Destroy dam

Apparently sneaking in and killing the officers, which is good strategy, and minimizes death and risk is “treacherous.”

"Treacherous" isn't a morality in the game. There is Utility, Morality, and Liberty. The option you are talking about is a Liberty one.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Choice
    Destroy dam

"Treacherous" isn't a morality in the game. There is Utility, Morality, and Liberty. The option you are talking about is a Liberty one.
    I think the post is referring to some of the party members whining about it being unsportsmanlike or whatever when the plan was brought up in the conversation. Which is like... good lord shut up.

• Options
    edited May 2023
    Utility = best outcome regardless of what is required
    Morality = Doing your duty, acting how somebody "should"
    Liberty = making bold choices, doing what you believe regardless of station or outcome or difficulty.

Taking an action that is underhanded or unexpected or against the "rules" of warfare might be a utility or liberty decision, but might make morality aligned characters consider your actions treacherous or immoral for your station.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Utility = best outcome regardless of what is required
    Morality = Doing your duty, acting how somebody "should"
    Liberty = making bold choices, doing what you believe regardless of station or outcome or difficulty.

Or in D&D terms:

Morality = Law
    Liberty = Chaos
    Utility = Evil

• Options
    Not even close, no

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Choice
    Destroy dam

I think the post is referring to some of the party members whining about it being unsportsmanlike or whatever when the plan was brought up in the conversation. Which is like... good lord shut up.
    Yes.

Also the fight with General Avlora was hard. Retreated twice and on the third go around I only had 2 people left to bring home the win. Which is to be expected with all the lead up.

• Options
    Not even close, no

Utility is Evil almost every time.

Sacrifice anyone and everyone's lives for the prosperity of house wollfort.